Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maglite Flashlight Club

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: Maglite Flashlight Club
Reply #90 on: April 13, 2020, 06:28:49 AM
Nice collection, MTS, and even the accessories/promo items!
 :tu: :like:

Offline MTSebastian

Reply #91 on: April 13, 2020, 10:36:37 AM
The promo items are hard to get her in Germany. I asked our generell seller if he can send me something. Maglite isn't shipping to Europe. That's why it is so rare

Gesendet von meinem SM-A600FN mit Tapatalk

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #92 on: April 20, 2020, 11:14:04 PM

Stumbled across this MiniMag that I'm pretty sure my dad threw in my Xmas stocking during my young adult years as a "Now that you're a man, you need a man's flashlight"-type deal along with a mechanic's tool set. Never found much need for it but have thrown it in my bag now that I'm dabbling in the EDC world as the Endtimes loom large. Never knew about this quirky "candle" mode - neat!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: April 21, 2020, 12:37:17 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Stumbled across this MiniMag that I'm pretty sure my dad threw in my Xmas stocking during my young adult years as a "Now that you're a man, you need a man's flashlight"-type deal along with a mechanic's tool set. Never found much need for it but have thrown it in my bag now that I'm dabbling in the EDC world as the Endtimes loom large. Never knew about this quirky "candle" mode - neat!

Wow - thats a blast from the past.  Does anyone know if these are being improved upon? I have had several of the regular Minimags, and I got an LED version when I first saw it years ago.  Are the new LED versions particularly good?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: April 21, 2020, 05:26:23 PM
Wow - thats a blast from the past.  Does anyone know if these are being improved upon? I have had several of the regular Minimags, and I got an LED version when I first saw it years ago.  Are the new LED versions particularly good?

I think there exists a few led versions of Minimag AA, some has SOS and levels of brightness to choose from.  There are just too many choices nowadays to choose from and really depends what are we comparing it to--if comparing to the original incan Minimag AA, yes, it's absolutely fabulous.  But for the price point, robust design and warranty, I would say it's pretty hard to beat a Minimag AA for its price point.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:45 PM
Good to know... What I liked about the original incandescent miniMags was that you had the "candle" capability.  These days my flashlights are just for going camping, and I have an older miniMag LED, two inexpensive flashlights that telescope out into a lantern, and one inexpensive "tactical" flashlight.  I can't say I like any one better than the next - what one gains in brightness, it loses in compactness.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: July 25, 2020, 05:44:01 AM
I have a Solitaire LED on my keys and can't beat it for a keychain light.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline MTSebastian

Reply #97 on: July 25, 2020, 07:41:06 AM
Selfmade Maglite Wall lamp

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #98 on: July 25, 2020, 08:06:52 AM
Now thst is cool

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #99 on: July 25, 2020, 02:53:07 PM
 :iagree:  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #100 on: July 25, 2020, 05:10:16 PM
I have a Solitaire LED on my keys and can't beat it for a keychain light.
I came here to ask about that. I see amazon has it for under $5. I just bought the olight keychain for $18 (no regrets, that thing is BRIGHT).

Was just curious how the Solitaire is being that it is so cheap.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: July 25, 2020, 05:17:53 PM
I came here to ask about that. I see amazon has it for under $5. I just bought the olight keychain for $18 (no regrets, that thing is BRIGHT).

Was just curious how the Solitaire is being that it is so cheap.

seems to me that the < $5 Maglite is the incancescent Solitaire... ?

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #102 on: July 25, 2020, 05:46:53 PM
seems to me that the < $5 Maglite is the incancescent Solitaire... ?
You would be correct.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: July 25, 2020, 06:29:48 PM
You would be correct.

I've gone throught my fair share of these, and the trouble Ive had is that eventually I can't get the tailcap unstuck to replace the battery.  I suppose it overtightens due to daily torque and pulling on the keys.  So they wind up becoming disposable. 

According to the specs, the LED solitaire is as bright as one of my camping flashlights... So that's not bad at all.   

I'm not afraid to admit it to my friends here, but I just went through the exercise of deciding on an Olight for EDC... as one does on a Saturday morning.  I did manage to stop myself from submitting the credit card info... just now...  as I remembered (by reading MY OWN smurfin' previous post) how many flashlights I have laying around unused.   :facepalm:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: July 25, 2020, 06:57:03 PM
I've gone throught my fair share of these, and the trouble Ive had is that eventually I can't get the tailcap unstuck to replace the battery.  I suppose it overtightens due to daily torque and pulling on the keys.  So they wind up becoming disposable. 

According to the specs, the LED solitaire is as bright as one of my camping flashlights... So that's not bad at all.   

I'm not afraid to admit it to my friends here, but I just went through the exercise of deciding on an Olight for EDC... as one does on a Saturday morning.  I did manage to stop myself from submitting the credit card info... just now...  as I remembered (by reading MY OWN smurfin' previous post) how many flashlights I have laying around unused.   :facepalm:

...The M2R Warrior is really nice and has a great tail switch  :pok:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: July 26, 2020, 06:58:46 PM
Selfmade Maglite Wall lamp (Image removed from quote.)

Now this is ingenuity and practicality at its best!;  an "emergency" lamp that looks elegant and can double as a mood lamp...if you don't mind me asking, can you please share the details for the mounting?
 Thanks for showing the lamp! :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: July 26, 2020, 07:13:32 PM

I've had an early 37lumen LED Solitaire attached to my keychain for almost three years now. The one time I had trouble and required pliers to remove the tailcap was when the alkaline battery leaked; it corroded the cap, and part of the body but was still functional. A good scrub and clean with baking soda, a light smear of silicone grease everywhere, and a disposable lithium battery, and haven't had any problems ever since. I tend to smear silicone grease on threads and o-rings as a lube and improve somewhat the water resistance of my Mag's (a 4D converted to LED and 5C; 3 Mini Maglites converted to LED with Terralux modules and Nite Ize clicky tailcaps; 3 LED Solitaires- one 37 lumen and the other two the newer 47 lumens). Only the Solitaires run on lithiums.

Offline MTSebastian

Reply #107 on: July 26, 2020, 07:47:38 PM
Thank you for your interest!  I took a normal wall lamp here.  Here they have a 230Volt connection and a GU10 socket where I can buy LED lamps.  I disassembled them and then adjusted the Maglite.  Here I removed everything and drilled a hole in the back.  There the holder is mounted and the cables for the lamp holder go through here.  I still have a normal switch on the side of the lamp.  Next, the switch is to be built into the Maglite so that you have to turn it on like a Maglite Actually, it is implemented quite simply and the result has become really great.

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 26, 2020, 09:00:17 PM
Thanks for the info., MTSebastian!
 :cheers:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: July 26, 2020, 10:20:12 PM
My kinda wall light!  :cheers:

In regards to the AA Maglite, I have an older incan version I've thought about doing the conversion on. Also, I've thought of just getting an LED mini Maglite AA. Is it worth doing the conversion on the incan I have or just getting the LED version?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #110 on: July 27, 2020, 01:52:57 AM

I might check it out then. Once my order of 5 new olights come in, Ill be at 8. On top of the 4 Coasts I have. And numerous other cheapies Ive had.

My wife says I have ADHD. I think she may be right.

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: July 27, 2020, 02:38:44 PM
My kinda wall light!  :cheers:

In regards to the AA Maglite, I have an older incan version I've thought about doing the conversion on. Also, I've thought of just getting an LED mini Maglite AA. Is it worth doing the conversion on the incan I have or just getting the LED version?
[/b]

It depends; if, like me, you don't like to throw away still-working tools/appliances, etc., or it has sentimental value then yes. If it is cost versus function, no. The Terralux modules (last I checked) were close to 100 lumens and priced at $18-24 USD, and the Nite Ize is 30 lumens for $8-10 USD  a new LED Minimaglite has closer to 200lumens and priced at $24-28USD (there's a Mini Pro with 240 lumens and multi function switch, but cannot comment on it as I don't have it). The incans are somewhat shorter (by about 1/4" or 6mm), and the light head is stubbier.
Hope this can help.  :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: July 27, 2020, 03:25:44 PM
[/b]

It depends; if, like me, you don't like to throw away still-working tools/appliances, etc., or it has sentimental value then yes. If it is cost versus function, no. The Terralux modules (last I checked) were close to 100 lumens and priced at $18-24 USD, and the Nite Ize is 30 lumens for $8-10 USD  a new LED Minimaglite has closer to 200lumens and priced at $24-28USD (there's a Mini Pro with 240 lumens and multi function switch, but cannot comment on it as I don't have it). The incans are somewhat shorter (by about 1/4" or 6mm), and the light head is stubbier.
Hope this can help.  :tu:

You see... this is why I shouldn't be allowed to have a credit card.  I have both of these and had actually preferred the Nite Ize becuse it has the lantern function to illuminate a tent.  But the difference in briightness is significant.... and I never realized that (since Ive never done a head-to-head comparison and have the memory of a goldfish). 

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: July 29, 2020, 05:57:07 AM
I was comparing between the mod kit and a new aaa led and it almost makes sense to go with the new one. Yet again, there are so many flashlight choices out there.  :whistle:.

I'm sure I could find a place to stash my incan aa Maglite if I went with something else.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: July 29, 2020, 01:46:00 PM
I was comparing between the mod kit and a new aaa led and it almost makes sense to go with the new one. Yet again, there are so many flashlight choices out there.  :whistle:.

I'm sure I could find a place to stash my incan aa Maglite if I went with something else.

You say that now... and in a few months you forget it's there....  and you say it again and get something else.  Then you end up in my situation and realize from reading your previous posts that you have a  light in the car... in the bag that stays in the car... in the camping bag... on the desk... in the work bag...  and you havent used any of them in months or years  :ahhh :D

My pre-essential worker bag has been sitting under my computer desk at home for some time now....  on Saturday it was like I opened a Christmas present when I found a flashlight that I put in there 3 years ago and never used.   :woohoo:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: September 12, 2020, 03:15:17 PM
I read more bad than good about the LED conversion for the AA mag incan so I just went to the hardware store and got a pair of replacement xenon bulbs for a fraction of the price. Popped one in seems brighter off the bat.  :tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: September 16, 2020, 05:29:17 AM
I gave in and bought an LED Mini Maglite and are thoroughly impressed. Great light in a little package!

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #117 on: September 16, 2020, 10:02:44 PM
I’ve owned Maglites for years. I bought a couple of the new LED C cells last year and I’m impressed! Very bright, programmable modes and enough heft to be used as a cosh if necessary. A great reacquainting!
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #118 on: September 20, 2020, 04:13:48 AM
I have a few myself. I converted a AA powered one from incandescent to LED a few years ago. I still have my father's D cell Mag that I used to take the dog out for the midnight stroll before going to bed. I always felt a bit better having that reassuring weight with me.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: September 20, 2020, 04:58:32 AM
How do these LED Maglites compare to something like an Olight Baton or other similar light?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%