Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ryobi 501

No Life Club Posts: 4,469 Is there a cure for multitool separation anxiety?
Ryobi
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
  A while back had picked up a Ryobi cordless drill & impact driver, which is a good system and using one proprietary battery. The batteries fit into many of their tools. Later on had gotten a circular saw to help fortify a place I store a recumbent trike. With the standard batteries it even cut through 1 inch cured & sealed plyboard that was originally used a a ceramic table in the 90's.

Then the latest acquisition... caught my eye as was going to Home Depot for some ABS didgeridoo parts. For $20 it was worth the purchase!

Found that both rear tires on my '98 Suzuki Esteem were at 30# instead of 35#, and the left front was at 30# and the right at 32# when both should of been at 40#. While I do have a large air compressor, getting that out of storage is a pain in the lower back, not to mention trying to find an extension cord and an outlet.

This portable compressor was well worth the purchase, and comes with extra tips for other things too. And to think I can pack this in the recumbent trike's panniers and have a portable air source for less space and not a lot of weight.  :D

• Leatherman Charge TTi (Mod) • Leatherman Signal • PocketToolX Piranha • Wenger 16520 Original Issue • LED Lenser M5 •
• Weber Y2K6 • Seagull S8 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo •
Hero Member Posts: 727
Re: Ryobi
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:08:03 AM »
I have been itching to try one of these and get a little twitchy when I pass them in the store!

Another battery system but possibly worth the dive in anyway.

Ryobi seems to offer a lot for the money and they only seem to be getting better too from my experience trying a few of them and of course the price is always the way they reel you in too!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,936 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
My Ryobi 0ne+ tools served me very well. The batteries are shot now, but the tools still work great. I currently have a drill driver, angle drill, vacuum cleaner, angle grinder, circular saw, jigsaw, (I also have a corded jigsaw of theirs), detail sander and caulking gun. They're not professional grade, but neither am I. They are however damn good hobby grade tools in my opinion.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,208 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
I have a sawsall, drill, leaf blower, and weed whacker. I like that all use the same battery.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 60,450 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
I know batteries keep getting better and better, but a battery operated compressor seems like it wouldn't have the power needed to do the job.  I am sure they are good, but I'll stick to my 12V socket ones, at least for the time being!

Def

Hero Member Posts: 879
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 01:16:14 AM »
I know batteries keep getting better and better, but a battery operated compressor seems like it wouldn't have the power needed to do the job.  I am sure they are good, but I'll stick to my 12V socket ones, at least for the time being!

Def

Mate, battery powered equipment has definitely come a long way. The Ryobi stuff uses 18V. You can get battery powered chainsaws now that are the real deal. Dewalt, Stihl, and Makita are probably leading the game right now. Battery powered reciprocating saws have serious power and can be better than the corded mains ones. For a compressor you just replace a blade with a piston, basically. For $20 tool when you already have the battery it's worth the punt.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 60,450 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:32:21 AM »
I know it's getting better.

I had some tools with an interchangeable power supply. I can't remember what they were called but they were very similar to the Ryobi system, but this was ten years ago.

It was cool and I am glad the concept continued and improved but something like a cknoressor that may live in the car is likely to just have dead batteries more often than not in Canada.  Winter here is hard on batteries.

Def

Hero Member Posts: 727
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
I know it's getting better.

I had some tools with an interchangeable power supply. I can't remember what they were called but they were very similar to the Ryobi system, but this was ten years ago.

It was cool and I am glad the concept continued and improved but something like a cknoressor that may live in the car is likely to just have dead batteries more often than not in Canada.  Winter here is hard on batteries.

Def

I am sure you would be astonished with newer offerings then!

I am using the newest Milwaukee 12v tools and they indeed do really have the power that the 18v models offered a few years ago.

The 18v versions today are insane with power and life and the biggest ones run Table Saws and Compressors now for an entire day on construction sites.

I have a Jobsite Light that can make 1000 lumens for an entire day from a single battery!

Lithium Batteries are also much less bothered by the cold and can charge fast enough to keep me going uninterrupted too.

If you have not tried these newest tools yourself you truly do not know what you are saying.

They are pricey to buy into sometimes but I almost never need a cord anymore unless doing a pre-wire and drilling hundreds of 2" holes through studs where I do not have any chargers with me?
Not too often.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
I'll have another look at them then.  I haven't had much call for power tools over the past couple of years since I have been in an apartment but I will need to replace a few drills and saws soon enough.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 3,179
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:41:39 PM »
I'm skeptical about battery powered everything, power tools most of all!

BUT.....the majority seems very happy with the performance

The company that did the shop fitting at a new branch of my employer use battery powered tools exclusively, and one of the guys told me it's made their work much easier....
Many building sites don't have electricity, which used to be a huge hassle for them....they use Ryobi as far as I could see.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:43:51 PM by Gerhard Gerber »
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,400 Gone Fishing

dks cy

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
LIDL has a compressor with intercheangeable bateries too.
It was about 60 euro and came with  a high volume /low pressure compressor and a low volume/high pressure one together with 1 batery.
I have several compressors that run off the car baterry  a mains power low volume one (for inflatables) and another low volume battery powered one.

The LIDL model runs on an 18V (or 16V..) battery. It is light enough to be carried in a rucksack. There are spare batteries available.

It will charge an off-road tyre from flat to full once, but it will easily bring back to road pressure all 4 tyres if they have been deflated for off-road use, which is what I bought it for. It automatically stops when the pre-set pressure is reached.

It is also very convenient as you do not need to have car nearby if you want to inflate bicycle tyres.

there is a review here https://www.supereverything.gr/2018/09/review-foritos-aerosimpiestis.html (use google translate)  Theysay that the pressure readings on their compressor were wrong but mine is very accurate
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:11:59 PM by dks »

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
No Life Club Posts: 1,755 Duck!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Everyone keeps telling Grant how much batteries have improved, but he's stubborn as a Canadian goose  :rofl:

Honestly I would question the viability of a battery-powered compressor too, but if it's working for your purposes, then right on. I'm not crazy about the idea of picking up a second battery platform, but Ryobi has a freakin' cordless hot glue gun  :o
That one has me sorely tempted. Especially with the darn semi-proprietary sticks for my old Craftsman E-Z Fix gun getting harder and harder to find.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
TBH, I will probably be picking up some new cordless tools shortly.  Right now I am in an apartment and really am not doing much in the way of work that requires me to purchase new tools.  I imagine by now the batteries on all my old tools are pretty well toast, since many of them were on their way out already when I last used them a few years ago.

Def

Operational Funds

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $158.19
PayPal Fees: $10.16
Net Balance: $148.03
Below Goal: $126.97
Site Currency: USD