Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leather Belt Pouch for the Leatherman Squirt

gb Offline UncommonWorks

• Seeking an Extraordinary Life
Leather Belt Pouch for the Leatherman Squirt
on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:25 PM
Hi folks, about two years ago I found this forum as part of a long, unsuccessful search for a belt pouch for my Squirt, and was disappointed to find that nobody seemed to be making a decent belt pouch for the tool. So like any normal, sane person I decided to learn leatherwork and make my own :D

18 versions and a lot of learning later, I've finally got the design and my technique to where I'm really happy with them. They're vertical holsters, with enough of the tool protruding that you can just grab it when you need it. It grips snugly and I've never had it slip or bounce out (although I must admit my trampolining and somersaulting time at work is minimal). I wear it with smart office wear and I've never had anyone comment on it apart from one person who thought it was a pedometer - for me it's the perfect discreet carry!

I've written two posts about developing the design and making the pouches which you can read at my website http://silverknife.co.uk/makingthings/, and you can buy the pouches right now at my Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UncommonWorks!

If you'd like any kind of custom variant please let me know in this thread or via the Etsy shop and I'll see what I can do - if there's demand I already plan to offer it in oxblood or in brown, and maybe a version with a snap down cover once I can source hardware I'm really happy with (sub-8mm snap fasteners turn out to be surprisingly hard to find).

There's enough information in the articles to make your own, but I'll also be selling a downloadable guide with templates as soon as I have it to a standard I'm happy with. If you have a bash at making them yourself and want to share your experiences or ask for help, just drop me a line!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Re: Leather Belt Pouch for the Leatherman Squirt
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 07:04:51 PM
That one looks nice!

I would like to see custom ones made that has a clip instead of a belt loop since I don't use a belt it would be nice to clip it to my pants.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:17:47 PM
When I saw this my first thought was “why would ANYone need a belt pouch for a squirt?” Then I remembered my dad. We will not carry anything in his pockets. I gave him a squirt, he bag carries it, I gave him a Shuffle, it stays in the car. I gave him an OLight. Idk where that is now. So I apologize for my initial reaction. It seems that this would indeed be useful for some folks. Do you have any idea what shipping to the US may cost?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:33:35 PM
They are very nice looking  8) and I wonder if scaled up to say a PST or Rebar sized sheath it would still hold the tool in secure :think: either way its nice  :like:

gb Offline UncommonWorks

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 07:36:40 PM
sir_mike: Thank you! And that's a neat idea; if I was able to figure out a design, would you be up for buying one for the same sort of price (about £20-30)?

gdoolittle: No, I think that's a very reasonable reaction :D In jeans or other heavier-duty trousers it's fine in a pocket, in smart trousers I find it feels heavy and bulges, spoils the cut. Shipping to the US is £10 - should be about 13 bucks right now I believe

gb Offline UncommonWorks

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 07:39:16 PM
Poncho65: I don't see any reason why not, a bigger tool would be heavier and presumably more secure - might be more inclined to slide out if you bend over is the only thing. I think people are just used to the snap-closed sheaths.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:58:46 PM
sir_mike: Thank you! And that's a neat idea; if I was able to figure out a design, would you be up for buying one for the same sort of price (about £20-30)?

gdoolittle: No, I think that's a very reasonable reaction :D In jeans or other heavier-duty trousers it's fine in a pocket, in smart trousers I find it feels heavy and bulges, spoils the cut. Shipping to the US is £10 - should be about 13 bucks right now I believe

I am not sure!  I don't have a need for a Squirt holder but just thinking about clips vs belt loop since I am looking for one to hold a sak like a Swisschamp, Champ Plus or maybe an Explorer and light combo.  I might even want to use one for a Rebar and light combo!  If you had something for those types of sak's or mt's, then I may consider it but I too have concerns about it being open at the top and the possibility of falling out!  I would have to see it first for sure!

gb Offline UncommonWorks

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 02:34:35 PM
I'll look into it for the future :) At some point I'm going to start a thread for anyone who is having trouble finding a pouch for their particular tool and see if I can develop something to fill those niches - should be fun :D

Offline diyDram

• New User
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 02:04:41 AM
I made a DIY sheath (for pocket, not belt) for my squirt. Repurposed the finger from an old soft leather glove. Installed a snap and the wife did a little stitching on the flap.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 03:01:07 AM
Very cool idea with the finger of a glove :tu: :like:

And welcome to  :MTO:  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 03:26:05 AM
I made a DIY sheath (for pocket, not belt) for my squirt. Repurposed the finger from an old soft leather glove. Installed a snap and the wife did a little stitching on the flap.
Oh boy, now that was a very creative sheath! I would never have thought of that solution  :like: :cheers:

gb Offline UncommonWorks

Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 02:57:55 PM
Yeah, that's a really neat solution. I like reusing secondhand leather - makes me feel like to some extent I'm "using the whole animal" :) Got an old leather jacket which is steadily disappearing with bits being used for dozens of projects and experiments...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 05:31:11 PM
 :cheers:

gb Offline UncommonWorks

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 05:45:39 PM
By the way, I've just put up a new post with updates to this design - magnetic flap closure and some new colours. Come and check it out  ;) https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83845.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%