Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Japanese Multi-Function Knife

us Offline WECSOG

Old Japanese Multi-Function Knife
on: May 20, 2020, 03:39:40 AM
Anyone ever seen one of these? It has "Japan" stamped on the main blade, but I can't find any other markings. I've had it since the early '70s, and I think it was fairly old even then.
IMG_20200519_201548.jpg
* IMG_20200519_201548.jpg (Filesize: 181.3 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Old Japanese Multi-Function Knife
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:45:41 PM
I really do have no idea about this one, but did rely this thread to one of our resident Japanese made MT expert in another subforum:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83044.new.html#new

jp Offline hiraboo

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:39:26 PM
> WECSOG

It's amazing there have been half a century since you got it.
I'm glad that you keep the old Japanese tool knife in your hand.
I want to help you, but I'm sorry I can't.
It is very difficult for me to get information such as which manufacturer made it.
(; ´ ・ ω ・)

Here's what I know about the old Japanese knives.

Before the 1980s, many Japanese knife manufacturers were not strong enough to sell their own brands. Some wholesale trading companies were able to export and sell knives overseas. Many manufacturers delivered knives to these trading companies as subcontractors.
Therefore, the same type of knife made by one subcontract manufacturer could have been sold marked by different trading companies. Similarly, the same type knife made by one subcontractor may have been sold unmarked by different trading companies.

Because of producing SAK type tool knives needed comprehensive skill, I think the manufacturers were limited a few.
However, it is difficult to obtain the materials to investigate it.
(´ ~ `;)

I'll do more research. (≧ - ≦)

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 02:07:23 AM
> WECSOG

It is very difficult for me to get information such as which manufacturer made it.
(; ´ ・ ω ・)

Before the 1980s, many Japanese knife manufacturers were not strong enough to sell their own brands. Some wholesale trading companies were able to export and sell knives overseas. Many manufacturers delivered knives to these trading companies as subcontractors.
Therefore, the same type of knife made by one subcontract manufacturer could have been sold marked by different trading companies. Similarly, the same type knife made by one subcontractor may have been sold unmarked by different trading companies.

Because of producing SAK type tool knives needed comprehensive skill, I think the manufacturers were limited a few.
(´ ~ `;)

Amazing, indeed. I'm glad I have managed to hold onto for this long, when so many other items (knives etc.) have gone by the wayside.
Actually its history doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the fact that I got it from my Dad and still have it 50 years later.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 11:51:41 AM
> WECSOG

(; ´ ・ ω ・)

(´ ~ `;)

Hey, Hiraboo!  Thanks for chiming in.

Amazing, indeed. I'm glad I have managed to hold onto for this long, when so many other items (knives etc.) have gone by the wayside.
Actually its history doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the fact that I got it from my Dad and still have it 50 years later.
That is always true, the value of a knife often not is not merely momentary, but the memories behind it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%