Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your opinion on Limited Editions

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
on: December 29, 2021, 07:51:09 AM
Fellow knights,

I wonder what your opinion on limited edition SAKs is?

When I started to get more interested in SAKs three years ago, there were so many current production models for me to collect that I didn't really care about them.

Now that I have all but one of the current 91 mms, LEs have become much more interesting to me as something to look out for and grab every once in a while if I find a good offer.

Out of production SAKs are too expensive for my taste, but it is possible to get current and even slightly older LEs (mostly the ones with 12-15k production runs) at reasonable prices. Although I find LEs generally overpriced, it's still nice to pick one up every once in a while knowing that as time goes by they will be harder to find and therefore a bit special, unlike the rest of my collection.

Also, it keeps my interest in SAKs alive and is quite affordable if you do it sparsely, opportunistically and accept that there's just many LEs which are out of reach because their pricing is just nuts (most of the 5k production runs, the damast knives and the special runs like the MotM).

I wonder what's your take on LEs?

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:07:36 AM
Being a sucker for a collectible I’m a fan Simon but recommend finding a theme or two to collect

As there’s quite a few LE series to choose from, (75% of which is classics with various LE scales), I reckon find a theme like the annual Alox or Winter Magic, one of the aforementioned classic series or whatever and stick with it…I’ve been considering the new precious alox classic range :whistle: :twak: :climber:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Your opinion on Limited Editions
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 09:43:36 AM
Being a sucker for a collectible I’m a fan Simon but recommend finding a theme or two to collect

As there’s quite a few LE series to choose from, (75% of which is classics with various LE scales), I reckon find a theme like the annual Alox or Winter Magic, one of the aforementioned classic series or whatever and stick with it…I’ve been considering the new precious alox classic range :whistle: :twak: :climber:

Yes, if you go for the Classics it's crazy. I have no specific theme, but found I am mostly interested in 91mm SAKs and the yearly Pioneer (X). As I said, I have an opportunistic approach - if I like the knife and the price feels right, I will go for it.

By the way, the Winter series is a good example of what I was talking about re prices: I like this series and managed in the course of the last two years to pick up one sample of every White Christmas / Winter Magic piece since 2016 at decent prices. The 2015 model however - a Climber - is crazy expensive (despite having a large production run of 10k units; I really don't understand why it's so much more expensive that all its successors), as are all the (more exclusive) Christmas knives, so I am afraid that ship has sailed. Good thing I picked up two of last year's beautiful Pioneer Xs in time, they have also become quite expensive now.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 10:19:58 AM
I think they're fantastic for those who collect and a useful source of additional revenue for the company. I'm sure several have become regular editions too, probably altered to avoid impacting the LE, as the more variation available the more people will buy them... though I'm not sure I've ever seen any of them in the wild.

However, they're just not for me. I'm very much a fan of the iconic red, to the point where I'm even considering a scale swap for my Cybertool.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
They are, slightly, different and generally go up in price in a few years. Some not by much but they rarely lose value, if kept mint.

I do not collect any specific line, apart from a few of the Damascus ones. I just buy what I like.

Generally if I buy LE classics I gift them.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline fuyume

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 03:31:03 PM
I’m not interested in collecting, but if the Pioneer X Winter Magic had not been anodised blue/grey, I probably would have bought one, just because I love the design of the scales. The anodising on the Alox models always wears off and looks shabby, so I no longer want any color Alox models.
冬芽 fuyume (女 she/her/anoko)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 05:11:57 PM
I generally like them, but prefer that there’s something more limited about it than just the printed color or anodizing of the scale or alox. Inlays or etching and designs that I like or even just the new/exclusive tool layout are usually ones I get.

I think one issue with the 2015 White Christmas is that many were used and circulated. I have two, at least, but all used and through TSA supply chain. Lol. One is monogrammed on the front scale :-[

I almost got last year’s PX…but I don’t really like PXs….but wish I got just one for those beautiful scales.

LEs I dislike or don’t buy are like the 2019 Winter Magic with the cardinal design. Printed scale isn’t that nice IMO, and the knife itself doesn’t have anything to it aside from the star charm.  :dunno:

My favorites are the older LEs, like from the ‘80s. Don’t get me started blabbing about those…
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 06:53:11 PM
I generally like them, but prefer that there’s something more limited about it than just the printed color or anodizing of the scale or alox. Inlays or etching and designs that I like or even just the new/exclusive tool layout are usually ones I get.

(...)

LEs I dislike or don’t buy are like the 2019 Winter Magic with the cardinal design. Printed scale isn’t that nice IMO, and the knife itself doesn’t have anything to it aside from the star charm.  :dunno:

My favorites are the older LEs, like from the ‘80s. Don’t get me started blabbing about those…

I hear you. Too bad the ones with really special features tend to be sparse as well as particularly overpriced (like this year's Winter Climber Lite) and/or hard to get even when they just came out (like the MotM or most of the Damast knives). Last year's Winter Pioneer X was the only exception to this rule so far (during the admittedly short time I'm in the market); the difference to a regular Pioneer X's street price was quite acceptable imho.

I checked Sakwiki for last century's limited editions. Looks like there weren't all that many of them, but I agree most of these SAKs look very appetizing.

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 06:54:54 PM
I don't have any LE SAK (yet), but as a guy that collect items of all sorts (stamps, rubiks cubes, coins, electronic gear... yes I have issues  :drink:) I can definitively see myself getting a lot of them in the future.
I agree with others, it does give a nice diversity in a SAK collection.  :cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 07:03:00 PM
I think they're fantastic for those who collect and a useful source of additional revenue for the company.

The latter is an important point imo.  :iagree:

Although I think Victorinox is overdoing it at the moment by trying to milk collectors too hard (too many LEs which in addition are too pricey overall), it's undoubtedly a difficult time for them and I like the idea of giving them some support by buying LEs. I guess even the ones that get discounted (=the ones I am usually after) will still earn Vic a handsome profit.

I just hope they don't get too used to it and will return to fewer and better value LE's when this crisis is over and sales start to rise again.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 07:09:41 PM
I don't have any LE SAK (yet), but as a guy that collect items of all sorts (stamps, rubiks cubes, coins, electronic gear... yes I have issues  :drink:) I can definitively see myself getting a lot of them in the future.
I agree with others, it does give a nice diversity in a SAK collection.  :cheers:

I guess many of us on this forum have that issue. Be careful, once you get your first LE in one of those nice special boxes, you will want more. :facepalm: (To be honest, the boxes aren't really all that special, but still, it's such a difference to the usual cheap grey cardboard affairs...)

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 08:35:08 PM
Hooo you are totally right, I'm the type of person to keep every boxes intact by default, so you know...  :whistle:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 09:30:50 PM

If you're a collector, i think you'll have an endless supply of those, yearly.

For me, personally, i could care less about them...  :dunno:
Never had any interest in collections myself, even less SAK collections. It would just be a waste of money, time and space IMO. I'm a user and buy them as such. The only NIB's i have are backups, ready to go in use if needed. For me a good old factory standard model is just fine, as long as it's red and does it's job, i'm good  ;)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 10:11:40 PM
I think Victorinox is overdoing it at the moment by trying to milk collectors too hard...
That's one reason I've given up on Case. They trotting out so many different knives that only Daddy Warbucks could have a complete collection.

As for how I feel about limited editions, it's simple: if I like it, I'd buy one. Or maybe two; one to display and one to carry. If I don't like it, I'll pass.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 02:10:18 AM
I'm not really interested in special editions that are simply cosmetic (printed or colored scales). Printing and colored anodizing wears off over time. 

I'm actually more interested in discontinued models than I am in LE SAKs that offer the same tool set as production SAKs but are more expensive.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Offline Quadrupel

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 03:08:57 AM
I do like that they make more limited editions, as long as you do not need to buy a lot of them for your collection (which could be expensive  :D) I don't see what is wrong with them. I personally really like the orange alox editions and the onyx black Ranger Grip version but I am still deciding if I should buy them  :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:19:26 AM by Quadrupel »

us Offline austin83

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 04:38:18 AM
I’m not a fan, but if Victorinox needs them to stay relevant than so be it.  For years, I’ve been wanting Victorinox to allow its customers to make their own custom knives.  An interactive feature on their website that allows you to pick your knife and select your tools.  Of course, their would be limitations on configurations, but I think it would be great. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 05:25:00 AM
Me too Lemonizer!   
Hooo you are totally right, I'm the type of person to keep every boxes intact by default, so you know...  :whistle:
Barry

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 11:41:13 AM
Thanks for all your thoughts so far, knights. :cheers: Looks as if there's a lot of different views on LEs. Hope to hear some more.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 01:38:05 PM
I only buy what I like, so I wouldn't buy an LE just because it's an LE.  As investments go, I think something with compound interest will yield more value in the future than SAKs.

us Offline Domino1

Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 03:52:14 PM
I have not got into the LEs yet. 

I think they would appear to appeal more to the collector that wants to store them rather than use them.   I am trying to find the normal knives I want right now rather than the LE models.  At some point I might graduate to the LE models.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 07:17:49 PM
I think they would appear to appeal more to the collector that wants to store them rather than use them.
That's generally what I'll do with limited models, especially if they have a printed design. My carriers (thus far) have all been regular production models, mostly devoid of decoration other than the Swiss cross.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 07:57:54 PM
I only buy what I like, so I wouldn't buy an LE just because it's an LE.  As investments go, I think something with compound interest will yield more value in the future than SAKs.

I think you’re right for the long term regarding investment value for knives.

But dang…some models were worth a nearly instant increase in the +100% to +300% range. I remember the first 2019 MOTM (not serial #1) selling at auction for over $400 from an original release price of $100. That was even before the knives were delivered. Crazy. The prices have crept up since, but still nothing like that initial surge and percentage gain.

The typical gains past that are low when measured over decades. Makes the older ones like the ‘89 Apollo seem reasonable when even beat up examples can fetch over $400 with similar production numbers.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 09:06:06 PM
I’m not a fan, but if Victorinox needs them to stay relevant than so be it.  For years, I’ve been wanting Victorinox to allow its customers to make their own custom knives.  An interactive feature on their website that allows you to pick your knife and select your tools.  Of course, their would be limitations on configurations, but I think it would be great.

:iagree: :like: This  :clap:
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59