Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seeking pouch recommendations

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Seeking pouch recommendations
on: March 10, 2022, 01:40:58 AM
I wanted to get a Leatherman pouch after reading Powernoodle's write-up. Since Leatherman is sold out of them, and I'm unsure if they were a limited run or just sold out quickly, I'm looking for an alternative. The mandatory features are:

• Black
  • Not terribly wide (slimmer than my Nite Ize Pock-Its, which is ~ 4"/100mm)
  • Able to hold a full-size Leatherman, a 93mm SAK and a pen with some room to spare
  • Belt loop
  • This one is huge: no part of the pouch would rise above my pants' waistband

Some features that are nice but not necessary:

• Elasticized pockets
  • No pockets/loops on the sides of the main pouch

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure the pouch gurus will point out additional things I should consider. I've considered making my own, but I'm not at app proficient at sewing.

What say y'awl?
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Seeking pouch recommendations
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 09:13:03 AM
I say, look at Skinth L Shield.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 04:48:37 PM
Maxpedtion makes a range of sheath/pouches in their TC line.  Might have a look and see if anything catches your eye.   :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 11:02:53 PM
A custom Skinth could be just the ticket. I'll have to check out Maxpedition. Failing those options, at least I now have a Leatherman sheath that meets my "huge" requirement.
USN 2000-2006

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 09:46:20 AM
A Skinth is a good option, I'd also advise you to look into camera pouches. I have an Amazons basics one that is one large compartment with  a small zip compartment on the front. On a recent trip I filled it up with multiple 130mm SAKs, flashlights etc.

I think the hardest part of your request is keeping the top of the pouch under your waistband as a limit, but you could always use a dangler maybe?

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 06:47:04 PM
I'd also advise you to look into camera pouches.
That could be a worthwhile option. I can, however, see one problem with them: there is high likelihood that the tools would bash up against one another.

I think the hardest part of your request is keeping the top of the pouch under your waistband as a limit, but you could always use a dangler maybe?
Very true. I suspect I'm in the minority as regards that height limit. Whether a danger would be an additional annoyance, I'm not sure.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 01:58:11 PM
So I dont see any part of your loadout requiring a Huge pouch?
There are just a few tools in there that you list at least and even the Large Skinth L Shield might be bigger than you need and it is not really that huge either.
A Skinth from the Shield series seems ideal to me as you do not want side pockets and though these do have them,they are not just open tubes but are flat and if not in use are also not even noticed.

I am confused about the tools bashing into each other too? They are tools so why does this matter unless it is noise?
I think as long as you dont get too huge a pouch though this should not be a problem at all.

And then there is the lower than your waistband requirement.
Most pouches with a pocket clip,like a Skinth will sit at or a hair above that spot maybe but again,why this need exactly?
I carry a Skinth with pocket clip every day for years now and this has never even occurred to me as an issue.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 02:46:25 PM
You might consider checking out options for MOLLE pouches designed for tourniquets, torches (or flashlights, for them what's in the US), mace cans, and similar.
A good number of the European-made ones have PALS right at the top, and using a separate strap method like a Malice clip or a Maxpedition TacTie would put the pouch slightly below the top of a belt, and so a bit lower than the waistband. They also have similar ones designed around mini IFAKs and the like, which are more likely to have inner elastic loops or internal dividers.

You could even spring for a custom pouch made to your exact specifications. Poland has some great makers who knock up fantastic kit and prices are very good, often far cheaper than the Maxpedition or Skinth equivalent and with a far wider range of options.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 09:13:30 PM
To answer those questions asked by ezdog: no, I don't require a huge pouch. Noise is a factor with tools banging into each other, but the main thing is what I view as unnecessary wear. And the height thing? I have had jobs that required me to bend, twist, and lean in all manners. Because of that, I prefer to have my pouches and sheaths ride low so they don't dig into my side and annoy me. That was also one of two reasons I got rid of one of my knives last year...

I'll look into MOLLE gear as well. I believe the awlsome Leatherman sheath I mentioned previously is a MOLLE type.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 09:22:56 PM
With or without a flap to hold everything?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 09:58:02 PM
I also dont care for my tools bashing about.  Might just be a thing with some of us.  That said, I hear you on the height of sheaths.  I like my fixed blades to ride low.  I use danglers for that very reason. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 11:09:41 PM
To answer those questions asked by ezdog: no, I don't require a huge pouch. Noise is a factor with tools banging into each other, but the main thing is what I view as unnecessary wear. And the height thing? I have had jobs that required me to bend, twist, and lean in all manners. Because of that, I prefer to have my pouches and sheaths ride low so they don't dig into my side and annoy me. That was also one of two reasons I got rid of one of my knives last year...

I'll look into MOLLE gear as well. I believe the awlsome Leatherman sheath I mentioned previously is a MOLLE type.

Got it! I too work like that and my Skinth is rarely in the way though it can be too,anything that might get in the way of seat belts or tool belts is subject to that and just the nature of the beast I am afraid.
The reason I made the comment about too large a pouch is exactly what you said then,if too large the tools just float around and your stated load of tools is anything but huge honestly.
I bet you would be happy with a Skinth!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 01:04:37 AM
I had this made a while back, not the best but it holds a lot, only thing is I don’t think they still make them? But I guess worth looking into?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 01:14:09 AM
With or without a flap to hold everything?
Definitely with a flap over all pockets. Your pouch looks like it could work. I'll check out Storm Industries.

My Morakniv Garberg rides pretty low in its factory sheath. A bit off topic, but that's an all around excellent fixed blade!
USN 2000-2006

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2022, 10:18:12 AM
Just to shared to add to your options:

This pouch measures approx 5 inches across and about 6 inches high. It’s basically a copy of something Maxpedition produces but it’s sold at a fraction of the price.  To be honest, I haven’t really stuck it thru my belt or do half-run or quick walks to see how the tools might juggle about.  It’s more of how I store my MT’s on the shelf and how I spread them open on a surface when working on something.  Stock pics so please bear with me.

First picture is a boring front view.  Second pic shows the MOLLE back (which isn’t on the real Maxpedition).
Third would show the tool spread with pockets, elastic straps, etc. That’s a Rebar on the left side.  Fourth would be same picture but with an ST300.

Anyway, it fits a full size LM (or two), a SAK, a pen, and possibly even a flashlight and still have room to spare. It comes in black as well.

*The reason why the LM’s are in a separate pouch is that I sometimes don’t need the other tools and I want to pocket carry instead of belt carry.

Hope you find the perfect pouch for your needs!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 05:42:22 AM
Hope you find the perfect pouch for your needs!
Me, too. Having taken a look from a different perspective, I may be able to get by with just my awlsome Leatherman sheath and a few slips for SAKs and traditionals. Something like a Skinth P1 might work if I could get one without the loop on the side.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 11:33:08 AM
The Leatherman pouch is made in conjunction with Pacsafe. In other words it is made by Pacsafe so have you tried looking up Pacsafe organizers to see what they have that might be close?  Maybe review what was used in the last Batman Challenge where the challengers carried all of their assorted EDC gear on their belts for a month like Batman's utility belt.  That was a good challenge that I hope we do again sometime.  Perhaps repurpose some other products such as these I've tried, the dual magazine pouch or an old flip phone case or.... ?  I will state, before you blame me for losing anything, that I needed to sew a bit of nylon strapping into the bottom of the old phone case after the Huntsman I had in there fell through the gap at the bottom, but there's been no issues since.

* double mag pouch.jpg (Filesize: 180.81 KB)

* P1100657.jpg (Filesize: 190.73 KB)

us Offline Adam5

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 06:46:12 PM
I recommend this:

That way you will not have to choose between your knives and MTs. You can carry them all with you, provided you have a strong back  :D

This is what I use (Nite Ize XL Pock-its):

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 05:08:58 AM
Maybe review what was used in the last Batman Challenge where the challengers carried all of their assorted EDC gear on their belts for a month like Batman's utility belt. 
I'll find that thread sometime tomorrow (getting late here). Good suggestion...thanks!

You can carry them all with you, provided you have a strong back  :D
Looks not unlike a military duffel bag (or as it was called in the Navy, a "sea bag"). Probably not practical for me, as I'm trying not to throw out my back again. But the Nite Ize Pock-Its XL may work.
USN 2000-2006

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 05:34:32 AM
I'll find that thread sometime tomorrow (getting late here). Good suggestion...thanks!
Looks not unlike a military duffel bag (or as it was called in the Navy, a "sea bag"). Probably not practical for me, as I'm trying not to throw out my back again. But the Nite Ize Pock-Its XL may work.

I gotchoo https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85814.0.html

I'm thinking of a similarish new challenge soon  :ahhh
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 06:37:37 AM
I gotchoo
Thanks! I'll definitely take a read through that topic.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 06:09:57 AM
I'll definitely take a read through that topic.
And...done. I didn't really see much that would work for me, but I have a better idea of what I'm after.

I'm starting to think that my Leatherman sheath would work for the Leatherman. The main issue with SAKs is that I like to carry them in the hidden and divided pockets on my tactical pants, and some of them have a pass-through hole in the bottom. SAKs like to submarine their way through that hole, so I'm thinking of a slip, or maybe a suspension clip or a Kydex sheath, to help mitigate that problem. And I could carry a pen clipped to pretty much any pocket.

I still need to have a look at Pacsafe...but perhaps a pouch isn't the best option for me, after all? :think:
USN 2000-2006

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 01:46:45 PM
And...done. I didn't really see much that would work for me, but I have a better idea of what I'm after.

I'm starting to think that my Leatherman sheath would work for the Leatherman. The main issue with SAKs is that I like to carry them in the hidden and divided pockets on my tactical pants, and some of them have a pass-through hole in the bottom. SAKs like to submarine their way through that hole, so I'm thinking of a slip, or maybe a suspension clip or a Kydex sheath, to help mitigate that problem. And I could carry a pen clipped to pretty much any pocket.

I still need to have a look at Pacsafe...but perhaps a pouch isn't the best option for me, after all? :think:

Have you considered an elastic sleeve for the Leatherman? Would let you carry it horizontally so no part  would rise above your belt. Otherwise I'd just get a slip with a pen loop for the SAK and pen personally, or if you really want to use the divided pockets, just throw a stitch in the bottom of one?

I didn't realise at first it was only three tools, unless you want to carry accessories for the LM a pouch to hold them all would likely be a but much.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 04:49:56 PM

Yeah, I was looking for a pic of a sea bag since you were in the Navy (iirc  :think:).

The Nite Ize works well for me, and it doesn't rub my ample side saddles  :D

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #24 on: March 29, 2022, 06:27:21 AM
Yeah, I was looking for a pic of a sea bag since you were in the Navy (iirc  :think:).
You did recall correctly. I was in the United States Navy from July 2000 to September 2006. Served aboard USS Lake Champlain and USS Peleliu.

I didn't realise at first it was only three tools, unless you want to carry accessories for the LM a pouch to hold them all would likely be a but much.
There is a possibility that a flashlight (or "torch," as the preferred term in Britian) could be added if and when needs dictate. For now, my little Olight fills the flashlight bill just fine. I may add a Leatherman bit set if needs dictate, but for now the ones supplied work just fine for me.

Incidentally, the problem of submarining may have been solved simply by getting an Opinel. It seems not to have that tendency due to its greater bulk. So, carry the Opinel in the divided pockets, the SAK in a separate pocket,  and the Leatherman in the sheath. Provided the pen has a pocket clip, it can ride pretty much anywhere.

Now I'm starting to question if I need a pouch for day-to-day operations. I'd still carry one when camping...but that's probably a whole different type of pouch, and a consideration for at least a month down the road.

Thanks to awl for the feedback!
USN 2000-2006

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 11:29:57 AM
Now I'm starting to question if I need a pouch for day-to-day operations.
To be brutally honest.. I started off with pouch carry EDC, went through various pouches and setups over a few years, but in the end decided against it.
Firstly, it catches on too many things too often, from chair arms to parts of the car, to clothing.
Secondly, it ruins the cut of most of my jackets and coats, giving you an unsightly and lopsided bulge. Honestly, away from a camping field, it makes you look like the gigantic end of a massive bell.... ;)

So long as you have half-decent trousers, pocket hangers facilitate quite a lot. I've been EDCing a SwissChamp and an S557 (yes at the same time, one in each pocket) these past few months, and only notice the weight when I actually pull them out to use.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 12:54:12 PM
I agree with Tasky and don't use belt pouches most of the time.  With pocket or belt danglers to keep a tool positioned about halfway down your pocket and vertical instead of laying in the bottom of the pocket and keeping the tool's weight on the top of your pocket or at your waist even the Swiss Champ or Cybertool 41 are comfortable carries.  This is also why I dislike tools that lack the key ring since they have no place to attach the dangler.  Most of the time I do have a Swiss Champ and a Spirit in a leather pouch in my back pocket and the Swiss Champ is attached to my belt loop by a dangler as well, but in this case it is just to prevent loss and make the Champ easier to pull out of the pouch. The leather pocket pouch also prevents the tools from wearing through my pocket which the Spirit managed to do a couple of times before I got the pouch.  Here's a pic of my Spirit and CT-41 on the leather pocket pouch.

* SAK stack 2020 02.jpg (Filesize: 115.85 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #27 on: March 30, 2022, 07:22:12 AM
Well, I do believe the issue with the pouch has worked itself out: apparently a big ol' pouch isn't the best idea for day-to-day carry unless I'm in out in the bush! Now I just have to come up with a good pouch for when I am out in the bush...
USN 2000-2006

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 02:42:36 PM
Again then I have to ask why the need for a "big old pouch" at all?

Your listed load is just not that big.

Have you looked at the Rip-Offs Pouches yet?
They seem to have a ton of options and a lot of smaller multi Pocket versions and they are really well made as well.

I carry a small load of stuff every day that I work and it is great to be able to shed the things easily at the end of day and reconnect in the morning for sure to me.

I also really value Carpenter Jeans for the extra side pockets and I use them instead of my traditional pouch almost exclusively unless on a ladder or far from more tools on a job every day.

But we each like what we like so keep looking!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #29 on: April 01, 2022, 04:55:54 AM
Again then I have to ask why the need for a "big old pouch" at all?
One thing I didn't mention previously is my adherence to that old saying: a place for everything and everything in its place. My initial thought was that it would be good to keep the things originally mentioned in a pouch, and that would be their place. I can now see that my thinking wasn't entirely sound.

The Leatherman does well in the sheath, carried on the belt. I just need to determine the places of the SAK and any traditional I carry: divided pocket or smaller thigh pocket?
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%