Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

STACK Challenge Part 2: Swisschamp Boogaloo

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
on: April 02, 2022, 03:11:26 AM
Day 32/30 60!

After doing SteveP's March Challenge of Champions, I saw that there was a 60 day version of the badge as well. Already half way through, so I figured I'd keep the fun going. With me today was my Swisschamp. I expect it'll be my main carry for the immediate future, since I don't have any Cybertools or Toolchests, and I just spent a month with The Champion Plus. Maybe this'll be an excuse to buy some new goodies.

Tools that saw little or no use last month that I'd like to hit this month:
Plyers
Wire Stripper
Pin
Sewing Awl
I was also pretty light on the saws, want to experiment more with the pointed tweezers I filed, and work on paracord braiding a better lanyard than the one I made last month.

No exciting uses today, just sliced an apple with lunch. Pumpkin was very excited when I got home so she photobombed my shot with the plyers. Compared to the Champion Plus, I don't find the Swisschamp much harder to pocket, but I do think the Champion generally feels a bit better in hand.

If anyone else wants to hop in (either new or extending from last month) I'd be happy to have you.

* photobomb.jpg (Filesize: 169.36 KB)

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Re: STACK Challenge Part 2: Swisschamp Boogaloo
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 03:16:11 AM
Good on you brother!!!!  :tu:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 01:52:53 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 03:25:43 AM
Day 33

Nothing too trying for the Swisschamp today, just helped open a few boxes and bags. Went to visit my parents and my dad took a look. He bought me my first SAK when I was around 9 or 10, a Classic (SD? Probably, it's unfortunately long gone.) When I was a kid, it seemed like he could fix just about anything with the tools on a Classic, and I still feel like I'm cheating a little if I put something bigger on my keyring.

* dad.jpg (Filesize: 35.07 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 01:45:21 AM
Day 34

Used the scissors to cut wrapping paper for my wife's birthday gift. Then SHAME! I left the SwissChamp in the wrong pair of pants and went out. Had to resort to the SwizzChump (offbrand knife she got me as a souvenir) that I keep in the glove box to cut a branch in half for a bon fire. It performed better than I expected, but not as well as the SwissChamp. No pics, but maybe it'll get some pocket time for one of the knock off challenges.

* wrapping.jpg (Filesize: 189.77 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 03:40:40 AM
Day 35

Mostly routine chores for the SwissChamp today. Slicing an apple, opening the mail, opening a beer. I did get to use the plyers to grab a too hot crouton fresh out of the toaster oven. Who knows what I would've done if I'd still been using the Champion Plus!

* crouton.jpg (Filesize: 259.31 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 03:41:24 PM
Exactly!  Those pliers have saved me too, even in the kitchen.  They're definitely more useful than anyone might imagine.
Barry

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 04:51:07 PM
Exactly!  Those pliers have saved me too, even in the kitchen.  They're definitely more useful than anyone might imagine.
+ 1 here - I use those Work Champ (and starting today - also Swiss Champ) pliers way more often than those on my Wave or any other
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 11:29:17 PM
Looking good!!! Keep it up and that 60 day challenge will be completed before you know it!  :tu:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 02:45:39 AM
Day 36

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Tried the file again today. I still think my favorite nail file is the 84mm Cadet style, followed by the Executive's, but it did better than I remember it other times. Is either side substantially better than the other, or does anyone have any tips for it?

* file2.jpg (Filesize: 155.41 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 05:19:17 AM
Is either side substantially better than the other, or does anyone have any tips for it?
Using the file on the metal saw to file fingernails? :dunno: I think files like you see on Wengers, the Cadet, 58mm models, and Leatherman Micras would work the best for that purpose. I can say for certain that the file on a Leatherman Rev is far less than ideal for that purpose (likely because it is single-cut).

It may take me a day or two, but I'll pull out the SwissChamp I didn't sell and see how using its file on fingernails works for me.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 10:49:17 AM
Surprisingly 3 minutes ago I used files on my new Swiss Champ alongside a Work Champ for taking care of my nails and also to compare the two.

Absolutely on both models files are different on different sides: nail file and a metal file on a Swiss Champ and a really aggressive wood file + a metal file on a Work Champ.

Nail file on a Swiss Champ is least aggressive and works best for obvious reasons. Metal file on a Work Champ does well too.

Personally again I prefer a Work Champ because I have large hands (2XL gloves)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 03:24:50 AM
Day 37

Used the magnifier to check out some play sand (Floam?) at the doctor's office today. Taking pictures through the magnifying glass is fun, you'll all probably get some more of these over the course of the month. Could be a good challenge idea: Carry a magnifying glass and take a picture of something through it every day.

* sand.jpg (Filesize: 151.78 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 04:18:58 AM
Could be a good challenge idea: Carry a magnifying glass and take a picture of something through it every day.
I'd be up for that one! It would awlso give me a good opportunity to compare and contrast the Victorinox and Wenger styles, and could get me to attempt a mod (put the magnifier/inline Phillips layer in a Spartan, to make a cheapo Passenger).
USN 2000-2006

nz Offline Storm

Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 09:14:44 AM
Good work on going the extra mile , and full marks on the excellent title  :like:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 09:50:43 AM
I'd be up for that one! It would awlso give me a good opportunity to compare and contrast the Victorinox and Wenger styles, and could get me to attempt a mod (put the magnifier/inline Phillips layer in a Spartan, to make a cheapo Passenger).
+1 on the challenge

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 02:56:08 PM
There's actually a thread here on just that.  I think it's called explore your world or something very close. 
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 04:53:54 AM
Day 38

Swiss Champ got quite a bit of use today. The scissors opened a bag of cat food, the corkscrew undid a knot in a necklace chain, the pen helped me solve Wordle, and I got some rib meet out of my teeth with the toothpick. Somehow, I took pictures of none of those, so enjoy this pocket dump of it, the Executive that lives on my keychain, and some of my other EDC goodies.

* dump.jpg (Filesize: 202.76 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #18 on: April 08, 2022, 05:08:37 AM
I like the pineapple and the old-school Casio calculator watch. Bonus points for having it on 24-hour time! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2022, 01:55:19 PM
 :iagree: Exactly!!  :D
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2022, 02:05:15 PM
I like the pineapple and the old-school Casio calculator watch. Bonus points for having it on 24-hour time! :tu:

Thanks! My wife and I have a lot of pineapple stuff after I accidentally sent her a pineapple emoji when I was searching for applause early in our relationship. Thank goodness I didn't accidentally hit applesauce.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 05:05:35 AM
Day 39

Big day for the Swiss Champ! Out of the house helping my wife run a gaming convention, so you can bet there's a million little things that need fixing. Screws tightened, bags opened, all that good stuff. Finally had a good use for the chisel, it's great for getting under stuck LEGO bricks and wiggling them free. Also used the pen to help solve some Wordle style puzzles, and the tweezers to pick a small piece that got stuck under a LEGO.

The highlight was when we realized no one had brought a can opener. I think most of us have probably gotten teased about the "crappy" can opener on our SAK at some point, but when someone needs to save the day, we all know who they're going to come to.

* soup.jpg (Filesize: 139.67 KB)

* envelope.jpg (Filesize: 107.08 KB)

* tweezing.jpg (Filesize: 133.52 KB)

* lego.jpg (Filesize: 239.5 KB)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2022, 11:25:36 AM

The key is to appreciate them for what they are, not compare them to a MT, Knipex, etc.   :tu:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2022, 11:28:55 AM
Day 39

Big day for the Swiss Champ!

Just seeing "Day 39" in a challenge is impressive.  Keep it up!   :salute: :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2022, 08:13:24 PM
The key is to appreciate them for what they are, not compare them to a MT, Knipex, etc.   :tu:
:iagree: They do a damn fine job for what they are.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2022, 06:06:25 AM
Day 40

Despite being at the same convention today, it was a pretty light day for the Swiss Champ. Pen marked cups when I did the coffee run, scissors opened a bag of dice I bought, and that's about it. The pliers sure do make a nice stand though.

* plierstand.jpg (Filesize: 206.62 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2022, 03:35:58 AM
Day 41

Got a nasty splinter around 2AM this morning, luckily I had the Swiss Champ in my pocket to handle it. No pics, but it got up under the nail and broke into multiple pieces, no clue how I would've gotten it without tweezers. Also glad I filed them down, I think the shape made it easier.

* comp.jpg (Filesize: 123.54 KB)

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 11, 2022, 08:41:12 AM
Sounds painful, but glad you managed to get the splinter out! :tu:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 12, 2022, 03:53:48 AM
Day 42

Finally got around to getting my desktop part way set up again. It's been out of commission for around 6 months since we moved. One of the hard drive wires must have jiggled loose during the move, and it wouldn't boot last time I tried. Swiss Champ helped take the side panels off so I could blow out the dust and rejigger all the connections. Hopefully it can hold on until component prices return to some kind of sanity.

* tower.jpg (Filesize: 202.94 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #29 on: April 12, 2022, 06:09:13 PM
Hopefully it can hold on until component prices return to some kind of sanity.
I hope so, too. I'm giving some thought to buying a used laptop and hopefully prices on those haven't gone wacko.

You're doing quite well in this challenge! :salute:
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%