Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Senseless vandalism in my city

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Senseless vandalism in my city
on: July 27, 2022, 01:33:11 PM
The night before last, some smurfhole (or smurfholes) jumped the fence and took an axe to 30+ trees in the Halifax Public Gardens.

Many of these trees were older than the city of Halifax, which is a very old city- at least for North America, I know it's still shiny and new by European standards.

At any rate, the city has brought in experts to hopefully save the trees, but as I understand it (and my knowledge of arbory is minimal) they are very low chances of survival.  And  if they do survive, they will bear the scars forever.

In cases like this, I firmly believe in an eye for an eye, and I'd happily use and axe on the perpetrator(s) the same as they did to these historic, beautiful and helpless trees.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-public-gardens-closed-roughly-30-trees-damaged-1.6532619

There just isn't a good enough punishment for this in my opinion, if they even manage to catch those responsible.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Senseless vandalism in my city
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 01:44:05 PM
That's really smurfed up, I hope they catch whoever did this and they get their just desserts  :twak:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 02:33:57 PM
The stupidity of some people is off the scale….. :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 03:08:00 PM
 :iagree:

I'm sure we could come up with a suitable course of action.  This is a darn shame. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 03:17:21 PM
What is wrong with these people?  I just can't figure out why someone would do something like this. :rant:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 03:22:29 PM
The level of pure stupidity of some is mind-blowing.  I'd have a better chance and understating quantum chromodynamics. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 09:42:01 PM
That's really smurfed up, I hope they catch whoever did this and they get their just desserts  :twak:

Sadly there are actually not significant enough laws for crap like this.  This will probably end in a fine and probation, and as long as they don't murder any other trees on a park space for six months, their records will be expunged.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 06:51:36 AM
I'd happily use and axe on the perpetrator(s) the same as they did to these historic, beautiful and helpless trees.
You and me both.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 02:30:58 PM
What the smurf?

They are kids who never got the belt and it shows.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Offline vadsoom

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 12:27:25 AM
We could take some lessons from Singapore. This crap isn’t tolerated. Infractions like this would probably be a “six lashes with a rattan cane.” This crap needs to stop.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 03:32:36 PM
I'd happily agree in this case, but I doubt they will find the smurf or smurfs responsible.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 03:37:23 PM
I saw an article about this before this thread.

I can't for the life of me figure out why someone thought this was a good idea... not like you can go brag about it, half the city wants your head. So if your idea of fame is 5min of being in the headlines before the city lynches you...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 04:34:25 PM
What is wrong with these people?  I just can't figure out why someone would do something like this. :rant:

Statistically, criminals are far more likely to have grown up without mature, employed daddies in the homes.  Kids without fathers are less likely to feel significant and worthwhile in childhood, and go they searching for that significance throughout life.  In this case, with an axe.  But that search manifests in a myriad of ways from purple hair to a car covered with bumper stickers to the snowflake movement.  Look at me!  I exist! Give me your attention, or I'll chop down your trees!

The short term medicine is to keep bad people in cages until the recidivism rate approaches zero.  The long term solution is a moral revolution that restores the nuclear family.  A person who 1) graduates, 2) gets a job, 3) gets married, and 4) has kids - in that order - is unlikely to produce children in poverty or children who grow up to commit crime.

This is not a political issue.  It transcends politics.    :salute:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 05:23:24 PM
Statistically, criminals are far more likely to have grown up without mature, employed daddies in the homes.  Kids without fathers are less likely to feel significant and worthwhile in childhood, and go they searching for that significance throughout life.  In this case, with an axe.  But that search manifests in a myriad of ways from purple hair to a car covered with bumper stickers to the snowflake movement.  Look at me!  I exist! Give me your attention, or I'll chop down your trees!

The short term medicine is to keep bad people in cages until the recidivism rate approaches zero.  The long term solution is a moral revolution that restores the nuclear family.  A person who 1) graduates, 2) gets a job, 3) gets married, and 4) has kids - in that order - is unlikely to produce children in poverty or children who grow up to commit crime.

This is not a political issue.  It transcends politics.    :salute:

I should be the poster child for this behaviour then, but somehow I came out on the right side in spite of all the crap life threw at me over the years.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 09:02:17 PM
I wish I'd had an opportunity to give this little smurf my attention prior to damaging these trees.

I don't believe in killing anything that isn't a threat or you aren't going to eat, and that even goes for trees.  I hate cutting down living ones without a damned good reason.  "Cut no living wood" as Gandalf warned.

If I'd had an opportunity to give this person some attention, I'd have taken them hiking or paddling and taken the time to teach them respect for things.

Now I hope they get lots of attention. 

In the prison showers.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 05:19:24 PM
They want to cut tree?  I say if they get caught put them to work doing just that.  I'm sure there is work to be done cutting trees they can do from sun up to sun down as their punishment.  No tax dollars wasted on them.

Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 09:59:00 PM
Agreed.  Plant one tree for every year the trees they killed were alive.

That will keep the buggers busy.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 12:03:19 PM
C'mon, guys...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 12:18:08 PM
From the very trees they killed....

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%