Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite three layer

Poll

What do you prefer and why?

Climber
18 (23.1%)
Camper
1 (1.3%)
Farmer
8 (10.3%)
Pioneer X
18 (23.1%)
Yeoman
9 (11.5%)
Hiker
3 (3.8%)
Super Tinker
10 (12.8%)
Swiss army 7
0 (0%)
evo grip/S14
3 (3.8%)
Spartan lite
1 (1.3%)
84mm model
0 (0%)
Other?
7 (9%)
3 layers are no good
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

us Offline Enginears

Favorite three layer
on: December 10, 2022, 10:08:30 PM
 :climber:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Favorite three layer
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 01:34:22 AM
Pioneer X: Alox & scissors.  What's not to love?
- Steve

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 02:17:34 AM
3 layer is a tough choice.  Pioneer X vs Climber for me, I go for the Climber though the extras (small blade, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick, hook, and pin) are too useful to give up for just Alox and a better awl.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 02:44:59 AM
3 layer is a tough choice.  Pioneer X vs Climber for me, I go for the Climber though the extras (small blade, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick, hook, and pin) are too useful to give up for just Alox and a better awl.

I agree it is tough. I am guessing the biggest favs are climber, Px, and yeoman. I find the opener layer to be so useful, so lean toward climber over yeoman, and then same as you the extras on the climber vs the Px seal the deal. I like to use the hook and a piece of cordage hung off my belt to suspend it in my pocket, works great for quick deployment without having a lanyard or clip dangling around constantly.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 02:54:49 AM
I think this is an interesting topic and I look forward to seeing everyone’s responses and reasons but… I’m not sure how I want to vote!

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 05:31:13 AM
I like my Campers and Hikers because of their incredibly handy wood saws. My one Farmer is not a user, but it's just wonderful to look at. And a Super Tinker was my carry (at times my only knife or multi) for twelve years.

Voting for just one would be tough.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

cz Offline z1913

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 08:02:47 AM
Voted Other - 111mm Forester Wood, followed closely by newly discovered Evo14.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 08:30:44 AM
Of the three layers I have Nail Clip 580, Evo 14, Super Tinker, Climber, Pioneer X, Farmer, Swiss Army 7.   

I have an old Eco Climber which is my designated box opener (so I don't have to clean adhesive off numerous blades) and I suppose that is my most used SAK.  I really like the Evo 14 a lot, something kind of neat and dandy about it.  But I like all the others so it's pretty hard to decide.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 10:34:31 AM

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 11:23:33 AM
I’m afraid it’s a dead heat between the PX and the Yeoman, so I carry both!  :D :drink:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 12:51:55 PM
Big fan of the Yeoman here- although if we’re going by the three layer that gets carried the most- then it would definitely be Farmer. Was carrying the Farmer X for a while but since then I’ve gone back to the classic farmer. The PX looks cool although it’s lack of wood saw is what keeps me from picking one up. When I’ve got a wood saw in my pocket all is right with the world. Hey who knows I may find myself taken hostage locked in a broom closet and the only way to escape is to saw through the drywall and escape through a hole in the wall.  :think: These are things I actually think about  :ahhh

us Offline Enginears

Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 03:13:08 PM
this

As usual with Syphs ideas  :drool: The driver layer looks amazing, and the whole knife is beautiful.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2022, 03:54:46 PM
I voted for Yeoman, because I just like the tools it has.
If I were voting with my heart it would be the Camper, because that was my first SAK in 1986 and I carried it every day until it was lost in a movie theater in 1991, I've since replaced it.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 04:50:04 PM
Big fan of the Yeoman here- although if we’re going by the three layer that gets carried the most- then it would definitely be Farmer. Was carrying the Farmer X for a while but since then I’ve gone back to the classic farmer. The PX looks cool although it’s lack of wood saw is what keeps me from picking one up. When I’ve got a wood saw in my pocket all is right with the world. Hey who knows I may find myself taken hostage locked in a broom closet and the only way to escape is to saw through the drywall and escape through a hole in the wall.  :think: These are things I actually think about  :ahhh

I also devote mental energy to such circumstances. Your hypothetical reminded me of this tragic story. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/airing-cupboard-death-welsh-holiday-home-woman-naked-trapped-inquest-a8408081.html?amp
The takeaway is always carry your SAK, even if its going to the bathroom naked while on vacation!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 08:45:59 PM

us Offline Enginears

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 05:14:52 AM
 :rofl: i need one of those.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 12:12:59 PM
Pioneer X 2020 Winter Magic may be my favorite.  So sexy and unique. I love my Stay Glow - Climber also

it Offline Andrew

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 12:33:14 PM
I voted s14 because actually is my EDC. Nice weight and dimensions

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 12:43:29 PM
I had to vote for the Climber as it's the only one I actually own.
However, I do like several others, including the Traveller which brings extra functions without increasing the layer count.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 01:53:55 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #20 on: December 12, 2022, 04:57:57 PM
The problem with the three layer SAKs is that they require you to make hard choices!

Do I pick the Camper because of the amazing wood saw and the fact that scissors are covered by a 58mm SAK that's always on me? Or do I pick Climber because it's the freakin' Climber and it's as iconic as any SAK ever has been? Or maybe the Super Tinker since every toy my children own seems to have a screw-secured battery compartment? What about the Evolution 14 that has the very comfy evolution scales and is as close as you can get to an Alumnus in current production?

Victorinox makes some excellent tools and you just don't get to have them all at three layers. Not that I carry a lot of 4+ layer knives around or anything - I only own 3 of them (Deluxe Tinker, Explorer, and S557) and I rarely carry any of them. I might just need more "training" time to adjust to size/weight in the pocket on those, but I'm actually much more likely to carry a 91mm or 84mm 2-layer SAK.

Lately, I've been carrying a 2-layer SAK much more often than a 3-layer SAK. The problem is that the primary choices for that third layer are scissors and saw. The scissors are great, of course! But I already have scissors on my 58mm... Do I need another, larger pair of scissors? Maybe... Of course, there's always the wood saw, another Victorinox best-in-class tool. There's no duplication of tools if I carry a Camper with my Rambler but how often do I actually NEED a saw?

So, I often end up making the "no choice" choice and just don't carry that third layer at all.  :ahhh

There are a few models I keep coming back to, between forum challenges or auditioning a new-to-me model, and the Climber is definitely one of them. So I guess I'll vote for the Climber but I would like the record to reflect my ambivalence on the subject!  :D

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 06:37:22 PM
Other, just because I made them.

91mm Dendrologist and 84mm Lightweight Huntsman.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #22 on: December 12, 2022, 07:04:28 PM
Other, just because I made them.

91mm Dendrologist and 84mm Lightweight Huntsman.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Both these seem highly useful. Do you carry them equally? Nice mod work.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 12, 2022, 07:15:15 PM
Wenger for me.  Cyclist and Security 14.   

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #24 on: December 12, 2022, 07:25:36 PM
Both these seem highly useful. Do you carry them equally? Nice mod work.
I keep a 91m, wood scales version of the Lightweight Huntsman in my backpack.

My last SAK acquisitions and last SAK mod is going to be a red Alox version of the 84mm Lightweight Huntsman. Myron is helping me out source the parts. Then that’s it, it has to be or I’ll never kick the habit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2022, 08:35:35 PM
Besides a pioneerX I’d have to say a custom one I did by taking a 2layer compact and adding a layer of a saw,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 12, 2022, 09:42:16 PM
I have to go with the Climber. Was my EDC for years, and still a strong contender if for some reason I could only have one knife/SAK/MT.

Honorable mention goes to the Cybertool S.  If you’ve never held one in your hand, it is difficult to appreciate what a fantastic tool the bit driver is.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #27 on: December 12, 2022, 11:53:45 PM
I dont always carry a 3 layer, but when I do, its a Climber.  :climber:

In particular, a stay glow Climber.  If I am carrying a 3 layer its because I will be doing a bit more that day. Maybe I am spending the day with family walking around a big city. So I will bring the Climber instead of my Cadet  or Pioneer because I may need the scissors . I also like the small blade for most of my work and  I keep the longer blade nice and sharp to cut larger items.

* stglow2.jpg (Filesize: 57.7 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #28 on: December 13, 2022, 12:39:54 AM
Besides a pioneerX I’d have to say a custom one I did by taking a 2layer compact and adding a layer of a saw,,
JR

And the phillips! I may have to get the parts together to make one of these to try. Nice work

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 01:13:29 AM
And the phillips! I may have to get the parts together to make one of these to try. Nice work
Good eye,
I love the compact, but I absolutely don’t need a corkscrew, the only time I’ve ever used one is when I was 12 and had my first sak and screwed it into a tree and snapped it off, yet on the other hand you can’t beat having a Phillips on the back for a ride just in case, yeah it’s not like having one on the front where it makes it easy to use but I don’t want a magnifying glass,
Now, in order to swop out a corkscrew for a Phillips it isn't that hard, you just have to remove the scales, then only remove the one pin, swop the two tools and replace the pin, put the two scales back on and good to go, but to add the saw like I did then you have to remove all the pins and rebuild it, adding the back spring for the saw and another divider, but still compact, no double tools with just the right tool combo in my book, perfect pocket knife!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%