Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Discontinued LMs

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Discontinued LMs
on: June 09, 2007, 04:10:51 PM
So which discontinued tools do you have? Which ones do you have? Which ones do you want?
I haven't really started buying old LM's, but I probably will start going that direction since I have most of the tools I "need" :D for now. I have a PST, 2 KF4s, and a Charge Ti that are disco'ed. I reall like the KF4s, and the PST is a real classic! I have my eye on the mini-tool, although the sideclip and pulse models are really tempting too! I'd also think it was histerical to own a Flair, but I don't know that I'd ever be able to cough up real money for one of those.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Discontinued LMs
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:28:04 PM
I have a couple of PST's, a PST II which was the first fullsized Leatherman tool I owned (I had a Micra first, and was so thrilled with it I went back the next day to buy the PST II!), both SuperTools and a Kf4.

It's kind of funny that the discontinued tools are the ones I like best.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline knife-man

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:42:58 PM
I WANT A SIDECLIP!!!!

(hoping If I shout loud enough I might get one should I stamp my feet as well you think? )

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:59:33 PM
Oh yeah- and I have a SideClip... and an old Wave too...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 06:17:03 PM
I have a Pulse and I prefer it to the current offerings.  I should get another one for backup.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 02:48:13 AM
Let's see,I have a Mini-Tool,PST,PSTII, Pulse,JuiceKF4..sometimes old school is good school !
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 04:40:43 AM
Oh yeah, and two Mini Tools...

And a Radio Shack Squirt which I think was discontinued and restarted as the E4.  Does that count?

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:04:16 AM
At last count I currently have 1 PST, 1 Pulse, 2 Old Waves, 1 Supertool 200 and 1 BO Charge Ti. Discontinued tools are an excellent route to starting a collection because they can usually be found fairly inexpensively second-hand. The Supertool 200 and the Pulse both cost me around 20$, the PST was 1$ and the 2 Old Waves were 10$ and 29$. I have seen Supertools and PST/PSTIIs on eBay go unsold/unbid upon for less than 10$.

My current favorites are the PST and the Pulse, they are both some slim and sleek but still so packed with usefulness.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 01:39:40 PM
I like the original Super Tool. All of the blades lock, and it is the same length x width as today's Core, but it is much thinner.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 01:53:30 PM
I WANT A SIDECLIP!!!!

(hoping If I shout loud enough I might get one should I stamp my feet as well you think? )

knife-man, please check your PM messages.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline knife-man

Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 12:22:29 AM
I quite like the look of the flair and the mini tool as well.

But I'm pretty content with the sideclip I should be getting for now.  :grin: :grin:.

The flair would be perfect if it wasnt for that fork .. Who's idea was that  :-\
[

Offline joebw

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 12:30:18 AM
Hi Knifeman,

Nothing wrong with a little forking around.  :D

Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:22 AM
The flair would be perfect if it wasnt for that fork .. Who's idea was that  :-\

No one will admit to it.   :P

Even more dubious than the c0cktail fork is the Flair's "spreader knife."   (It's like a SwissTool Spirit blade, except that it's not sharp, and it doesn't have serrations!)  :D
flair.jpg
* flair.jpg (Filesize: 102.06 KB)

Offline knife-man

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 12:36:31 AM
I like the idea of a spreader knife. provided it work's for spreading soft cheese butter etc.

But I know this from personal experience + it's obvious when you think about it .. your knife and fork should not be attached to each other ::). Which is why I like my hobo.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:41:04 AM
Getting OT here I suppose, but which hobo knife do you have? I assume one of the style that breaks down into seperate pieces?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 03:49:09 AM
Hey J-Sews? If I scream as loud as he did, can I get hooked up with a sideclip? I had one about 7 years or so ago and it was very pocket friendly.

David

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 06:34:05 AM
Hey J-Sews? If I scream as loud as he did, can I get hooked up with a sideclip? I had one about 7 years or so ago and it was very pocket friendly.

David

Hehe... I considered trying that tactic too.  Good luck David!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 07:32:17 AM
I have two different hobo-tools, and I'll most likely be buying a Flair next week. The same guy also had a SuperTool for sale.

On a topic totally unrelated, I ordered the SAK collector's book 8 or 9 days ago, but I paid extra for THREE DAY SHIPPING.
[

Offline supratentorial

Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 08:47:26 AM
I have two different hobo-tools, and I'll most likely be buying a Flair next week. The same guy also had a SuperTool for sale.

On a topic totally unrelated, I ordered the SAK collector's book 8 or 9 days ago, but I paid extra for THREE DAY SHIPPING.

3 day shipping and 6 or more days handling time. ;)  Was it a private seller or a store?  Felinevet is really quick to ship and his prices are good.  Right now Amazon has $10 off $50 on Victorinox and free shipping over $25.

Offline knife-man

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 12:47:26 PM
Case hobo with erm rosewood handles I think.

Technically it's a multitool  ;D

It breaks down into a knife, fork (with bottle opener) and spoon
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:07 PM
Looks like we're straying off topic here a bit...oh well, I won't tell if you guys won't!  ;D

I don't have any hobo tools, but I was just handling this Knives Of Alaska model two days ago at the sporting goods store.

Link: http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalog/prod_display.aspx?from=Folding%20Knives&cat=Titanium%20Utensil%20Set

This sucker is all titanium, which is pretty cool. It does break down into seperate pieces, although that is not pictured. Unfortunately the $59 price tag was not to my liking, so I handed it back to the clerk!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 02:38:05 AM
Looks like we're straying off topic here a bit...oh well, I won't tell if you guys won't!  ;D
(Image removed from quote.)
Hey no problem  :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 03:50:26 AM
Hey speaking of discontinued Leatherman models, I'm searching for one in particular. Not many standard PST's were made with cap crimper jaws, and I haven't been able to find one anywhere. Please let me know if anyone stumbles across one some day.  :)

Leatherman PST, with crimper.jpg
* Leatherman PST, with crimper.jpg (Filesize: 16.29 KB)

Offline knife-man

Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 04:32:10 AM
I came across one on ebay the other day

I'll PM you
[

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 04:21:21 AM
So those of you who know more about this: if you didn't have any old tools, which ones would you start buying first, and why?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 03:01:24 AM
So those of you who know more about this: if you didn't have any old tools, which ones would you start buying first, and why?

To use or collect?   I am not a multitool collector, per se, but the original PST and the original SuperTool are great classics for actual use.

The PST is smaller and lighter than today's multitools with the same sized pliers head.  It is easy to carry.

The SuperTool is larger and has more implements.   The screwdrivers on both models are excellent by multitool standards.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:41:47 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 04:41:53 AM
And wherever you go, keep your eyes peeled for a SideClip. Those things have gotten hot! Used ones on eBay are consistantly going for over $50.   (twice what they cost brand new)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 09:47:57 AM
My brother is quite fond of his leatherman minitool and had a question which I also found intriguing and thought I would post here (since its a discontinued tool).

Can you use the leatherman bit adapter (the one which slides over the plier jaw head when the tool is closed) with the minitool? I would think you can, but he wants to make sure before he makes a purchase. So can anyone offer any help?

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 04:18:02 PM
To use or collect? 
More for collecting... I think I have most of my using needs covered, unless of course I need a locking pliars  ;D An old PST is the only "old" tool I have, and I'm glad I have it! It's pretty well beat up, but that's ok to me.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 08:01:57 PM
I've been looking really hard at both the SideClip and the MiniTool lately.  I think I'm going to add both to my collection soon.  Those are really the only two discontinued ones I like.  Although, I keep thinking about trying to get one of those Gerbers with the interchangeable plier heads.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%