Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Original wave owners club,

Zed · 516 · 44609

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Original wave owners club,
Reply #450 on: January 19, 2021, 09:22:56 AM
Yours looks a lot like my old sheath.  :tu:

:salute:  ... ok so I guess mine could be the original that came with the '99 Wave?

On the other hand, my other '99 Wave got the older sheath.

Was '99 a year of sheath change for the Wave?

nl Offline nitram

Reply #451 on: January 19, 2021, 10:08:48 AM

I’m trying to remember the details about my leather sheath. I was there when my friend bought his Wave, it would have been 1999 or 2000 in my mind, but that has been 20 years ago so it could be off a bit. Definitely not later than 2001 though but all of this isn’t really narrowing it down, sorry.
We lost touch so I can’t check his Wave for date codes.

The sheath does look to be in very good shape, all the letters are still there. Mine is pretty worn after a lot of use. Would you say the wear of the sheath is consistent with that of the tool?

But we are just guessing here, maybe the previous owner used a different sheath?

If I were to guess I would say your sheath could be original to your Wave.

:)

nl Offline nitram

Reply #452 on: January 19, 2021, 11:12:38 AM
The newer Heritage sheaths have an American flag and “Proudly made in the USA” under the belt loop.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #453 on: January 19, 2021, 11:19:38 AM
Here is mine. I think the stitching on the belt loop is different on the newer ones as well.

Bonus pic of the nylon box sheath, I haven’t seen these around much lately.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #454 on: January 19, 2021, 12:14:27 PM
I’m trying to remember the details about my leather sheath. I was there when my friend bought his Wave, it would have been 1999 or 2000 in my mind, but that has been 20 years ago so it could be off a bit. Definitely not later than 2001 though but all of this isn’t really narrowing it down, sorry.
We lost touch so I can’t check his Wave for date codes.

The sheath does look to be in very good shape, all the letters are still there. Mine is pretty worn after a lot of use. Would you say the wear of the sheath is consistent with that of the tool?

But we are just guessing here, maybe the previous owner used a different sheath?

If I were to guess I would say your sheath could be original to your Wave.

:)

If so, then I stand corrected  :salute: I have never came a cross an OG Wave with that type of sheath,  unless it was bought later :think: at least that is what I thought :dunno:

Hopefully it is original :cheers:

nl Offline nitram

Reply #455 on: January 19, 2021, 12:40:27 PM
If so, then I stand corrected  :salute: I have never came a cross an OG Wave with that type of sheath,  unless it was bought later :think: at least that is what I thought :dunno:

Hopefully it is original :cheers:

I’m absolutely sure they originally supplied these with the gen 1 Wave. The date is the only uncertainty I have right now.

I’ll try to look for some pictures this weekend to see if I can narrow it down. The earliest I’ve seen it on my belt is in 2007.

Another thing is that the originals don’t fit the new Wave without a lot of stretching but the later ones do.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:22:52 PM by nitram »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #456 on: January 19, 2021, 02:25:32 PM
Wow, thanks a lot Nitram and Poncho  :salute:

I can confirm that the new Wave (2004 -> ) doesn't fit into this sheath.
And the stitching on the back/belt loop is the same on mine.

Looking forward to your research results Nitram  :popcorn:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #457 on: January 19, 2021, 03:48:15 PM
If I remember correctly these tan sheaths did come with the later OG Waves. Maybe the last couple of years. Leatherman also sold them I think right up until the new Made in USA Heritage sheaths became available. I had one briefly when I first started collecting and the quality seemed fairly close to the old ones. The leather was maybe slightly thinner but that could have just been a natural variance.

Matt. you have both to do a side by side,  how do they compare ?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #459 on: January 19, 2021, 03:58:05 PM
And here's one with the old sheath, they both have the same date code so I don't know what to make of that    :think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leatherman-Original-Wave-w-dark-brown-leather-Sheath-Multi-Tool/274631025191?hash=item3ff148e227%3Ag%3A%7EQUAAOSw1VBf7SDT&LH_BIN=1

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #460 on: January 19, 2021, 04:15:35 PM
Thanks Steve!

I have two Waves now both 0399.
The nice one got the old dark red/brown better quality sheath, as you've seen it.

The other one I've got yesterday came with the lighter brown softer leather fuzzy inside still not bad leather sheath, that still appears to be an older original.

Two different sheath styles for the same year 0399 ? That's what got me wondering  :dunno:

So as per the first eBay listing they've shipped them at least in 2003.

Maybe the previous owner mixed up the sheath for some reason  :pok:  :D

Or 1999 was the year where they've changed the sheath style  :dunno:

The last eBay listing shows a sheath that looks like the original style but not fully. The colour seems too brown to me, also the texture is super smooth.... I don't know  :dunno:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #461 on: January 19, 2021, 04:28:18 PM
I think yours is a replacement, they definitely came with the old style in 1999. Like I said I believe it was only in the last year or two maybe. I'm thinking 2003-4

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #462 on: January 19, 2021, 05:21:15 PM
Roger that  :salute:

Makes sense  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #463 on: January 19, 2021, 08:23:43 PM
And here's one with the old sheath, they both have the same date code so I don't know what to make of that    :think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leatherman-Original-Wave-w-dark-brown-leather-Sheath-Multi-Tool/274631025191?hash=item3ff148e227%3Ag%3A%7EQUAAOSw1VBf7SDT&LH_BIN=1

Different supplier  :think: perhaps they still had several of the older ones left and gradually phased them out as they got these newer ones in :shrug:  Sounds like something they would do anyways  :D

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #464 on: January 22, 2021, 04:08:52 PM
I'm joining the club!

I found this Wave on Ebay for less than $50:

And then, I found this one for slightly more and I couldn't stop myself:
OG_Wave1.jpg
* OG_Wave1.jpg (Filesize: 229.46 KB)
OG_Wave.jpg
* OG_Wave.jpg (Filesize: 153.13 KB)
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #465 on: January 22, 2021, 05:54:08 PM
That sounds all too familiar hsherzfeld  :rofl:

Excellent scores  :like: :like:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #466 on: January 22, 2021, 06:30:31 PM
That sounds all too familiar hsherzfeld  :rofl:

Excellent scores  :like: :like:

Thanks. I'm so glad that I found a safe space where I can open up about this terrible addiction....even though everyone here is an enabler.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #467 on: January 22, 2021, 06:36:12 PM
Thanks. I'm so glad that I found a safe space where I can open up about this terrible addiction....even though almost everyone here is an enabler.

Fixed for you ....    :pok:   :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #468 on: January 22, 2021, 07:06:23 PM
Thanks. I'm so glad that I found a safe space where I can open up about this terrible addiction....even though everyone here is an enabler.

You're very welcome  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #469 on: January 23, 2021, 04:12:08 AM
Congrats hsherz :like: OG Wave is an awesome tool for sure :tu: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #470 on: January 23, 2021, 05:44:14 AM
I'm joining the club!

I found this Wave on Ebay for less than $50:

And then, I found this one for slightly more and I couldn't stop myself:

Congrats,  One of us One of us !!!!!   :woohoo:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #471 on: January 23, 2021, 04:39:42 PM
Well, the first one arrived yesterday. The outer blades are screwed in super tight; I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a pair of five-point Torx bits to rectify that problem. And the handles rattle a lot in the closed position, due to the loose plier pivot. Is that just a function of the tool's design? I have a well-used post-2004 Wave with pliers that are almost as loose, but the handles don't rattle when closed.  :think:

I'm not used to having such a variety of flatheads. The long one is slightly twisted; it might turn into an awl.

But those SCISSORS! This thing has SCISSORS! Not scissors, like the newer Wave, but SCISSORS! :multi:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:55:22 PM by hsherzfeld »

Boomer Sooner!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #472 on: January 23, 2021, 06:06:14 PM
From the two I have the seemingly un-used one also has some good play when closed.
It's not the pliers pivot, because when I open the pliers they have no play at the pivot at all.

I took a magnifier to find out where the play/looseness in closed position comes from, and I saw it then.
It's the pliers mounting to the handles.
Either the whole for the screw in the handle is too wide, or the whole for the screw in the pliers arm.

Also, it would help if the pliers arms did not have so much room within the handles in the first place. Btw, this varies from Wave to Wave.

So one could tighten the screws to press the handles closer to the pliers arms, but that would also tighten up the outer blades.

I'm sure it's not a fault but.... how do they say..."by design"  :D

I'd like to hear from others to see if they experience the same and what they think about it  :hatsoff:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #473 on: January 23, 2021, 08:07:16 PM

Also, it would help if the pliers arms did not have so much room within the handles in the first place. Btw, this varies from Wave to Wave.

So one could tighten the screws to press the handles closer to the pliers arms, but that would also tighten up the outer blades.

I'm sure it's not a fault but.... how do they say..."by design"  :D

I think that's the problem with mine, at least compared to my post-2004 Wave. Not the plier arms, but the plier head in the closed position. Since the plier jaws are nestled in the opposite handles when closed, it doesn't matter how tight the handle pivots are. If the plier pivot is loose, AND there's room between the plier head and the walls, then the plier jaw, and the handle connected to it, will rattle. My OG Wave has at least 1/16" of clearance between the flat faces of the plier head and the walls of the handles, which is apparently enough room to rattle back and forth.

The pliers on the post-2004 that I have fit snugly between the parallel inner surfaces of the handles--so much so that there are scuff marks from this on the plier head.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:18:38 PM by hsherzfeld »

Boomer Sooner!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #474 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:33 PM
Well then yours has a different problem because mine does not have any play at the pliers pivot at all  :salute:
The connection of the pliers arms to the handles is the point of connection that shows the play and movement in my case  :hatsoff:

On the later OG model where they've changes the pliers arms to incorporate those retention springs this problem is much less reported btw.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:36:53 PM by McStitchy »

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #475 on: January 24, 2021, 01:33:04 AM
On the later OG model where they've changes the pliers arms to incorporate those retention springs this problem is much less reported btw.
That's good to know, since my other OG Wave appears (from the Ebay pics) to be a later one.

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #476 on: January 25, 2021, 11:13:46 PM
My second OG Wave arrived! It was listed as "used" on Ebay, but it looks brand-new. All the blades have their factory edges, no wear on any of the tools, no scuff marks or scratches.
One question: does the OG Wave have bronze bushings/spacers/washers on the outside blade pivots like the new Waves do? Because these blades don't open nearly as smoothly as my newer Wave.
OG_Wave2.jpg
* OG_Wave2.jpg (Filesize: 68.35 KB)

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #477 on: January 26, 2021, 12:10:18 PM
May not be broken in yet :dunno: Not sure about the washers but my OG Wave is smooth like my newer Waves :think: Looks awesome though and such great shape for its age :drool: Congrats :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #478 on: January 26, 2021, 02:01:48 PM
Nice score hsherzfeld  :like:

No washers on the OG Wave as far as I know  :salute:

I'd give it a drop of oil and some use and see how it goes :dunno:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #479 on: July 06, 2021, 08:55:24 PM
Catching some waves at the beach in Port Aransas, Texas.
IMG_0080.jpg
* IMG_0080.jpg (Filesize: 149.37 KB)

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD