Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for Wenger?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Any love for wenger?
Reply #120 on: May 07, 2012, 08:56:59 PM
My story with Gerber is similar in that I picked up a Suspension in a store, thought it was rubbish and wrote off the whole Gerber line. ::)  Happily I decided to give them a second chance and asked for a MP600 a couple of Christmases ago.  Happily sliding pliers ever since. :D

Gareth, do you ever find the Gerber can pinch the hell out of you if the pliers suddenly lose traction while gripping them hard? I got a blood blister on the palm of my hand in the 80s with the Gerbers first came out that I'll never forget, and wrote off the whole series. If this problem has been solved, do you know how?

Also, the original Multi-Plier didn't have the tip of the pliers protrude through the end of the tool. (which tends to eat sheaths) Have they solved this problem yet?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #121 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:13 PM
My story with Gerber is similar in that I picked up a Suspension in a store, thought it was rubbish and wrote off the whole Gerber line. ::)  Happily I decided to give them a second chance and asked for a MP600 a couple of Christmases ago.  Happily sliding pliers ever since. :D

Gareth, do you ever find the Gerber can pinch the hell out of you if the pliers suddenly lose traction while gripping them hard? I got a blood blister on the palm of my hand in the 80s with the Gerbers first came out that I'll never forget, and wrote off the whole series. If this problem has been solved, do you know how?

Also, the original Multi-Plier didn't have the tip of the pliers protrude through the end of the tool. (which tends to eat sheaths) Have they solved this problem yet?

Well the tips do stick out on the MP400 and MP600 but I've not had one poke through a sheath yet.

As to the palm pinching; I've played with the old Multi-Plier and can well imagine the potential damage. :-\  Happily this has never been a problem with the MP600/MP400 or Octane in my experience.  When the pliers are deployed the gap between the handles is lage enough that I've never felt in danger.

On the other hand I did manage to pinch my hand with my LM Wave earlier today. ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Donald

Reply #122 on: May 08, 2012, 04:07:09 AM
I love that hammered stainless in the Esquire.

Gareth, ironically my first SAK was a Wenger 1 17 01 which I have retired in favor of an Evo S17. My next knife was a Gerber, the Gerber Paul Knife.

It was actually the predecessor Paul knife to the one in the below picture. The Gerber is second from the top.

us Offline Donald

Reply #123 on: May 08, 2012, 04:37:14 AM
I love Wenger and Victorinox! :D

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #124 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:51 AM
First, I was Vic only. Than I got a Realtree 55 as a present, and I fell in love with Wenger ever since. :)

Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #125 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:31 AM
I do remember that when I first got into SAKs and SOSAK back in 2008 Wenger's name was pretty much mud with a lot of members.  It is very pleasing to hear so many people have become fans. :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #126 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:23 AM
In my defence the first Wenger I got as an adult was second hand and was rotten

What model was it out of interest?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: May 08, 2012, 11:12:54 AM
In my defence the first Wenger I got as an adult was second hand and was rotten

What model was it out of interest?
IIRC it was a Wenger Forrester.  Funnily enough I found out that my first ever SAK was a Forrester as well, though that one was lost a long time ago when I was still a kid.  Now I have an Evo17 and love it.  Can we see a trend? :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #128 on: May 08, 2012, 11:24:49 AM
So is the Forester a Huntsman equivilent? What made it rotten?

Seems to me that what folk like about Wenger is the little improvements they make over the Vic standard (locking SD, metal mag glass, scaled ruler) and other innovations. Would that sound right?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:22 PM
So is the Forester a Huntsman equivilent? What made it rotten?

Seems to me that what folk like about Wenger is the little improvements they make over the Vic standard (locking SD, metal mag glass, scaled ruler) and other innovations. Would that sound right?
well on that particular one the springs were very flabby, the corkscrew was bent as was the blade. Turns out one of the liners was cracked. :\  I now don't think it was Wengers fault but just that it had had a hard life.  at the time though it just confirmed all the bad things I had been told to expect.

Oh and yes the Forrester is nearly the same as the Vic Huntsman except the small blade is replaced with a nail file on the Forrester. :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #130 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM
Kinda late to this party but I really dig Wenger knives, the Adirondack is one of my fave's.  I plan on picking up another from Felinevet soon.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #131 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:04 PM
Despite my earlier rant, I'm still a fan of the old stuff and a Traveller is back in my pocket again today

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #132 on: May 08, 2012, 01:57:23 PM
Despite my earlier rant, I'm still a fan of the old stuff and a Traveller is back in my pocket again today

The traveler is another oldie but goodie.  I had one a while back that I donated to a friend in need.  Awesome SAK, it's another on my MT bucket list.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #133 on: May 08, 2012, 02:16:30 PM
I tried to open a coffee can with my Wenger EvoGrip S16 this morning, and it was an epic FAIL. If that were a can of beans and I were stuck in the wilderness with nothing else to eat, I wouldn't have starved. But I would have sliced my fingers up, gotten infected, and died from gangrene.

It left sharp, jagged edges on both the outside AND inside of the cut lid, and I was only able to cut about 2" before it couldn't get purchase on the rim any more.

That said, I suppose this can opener was designed for smaller food cans, like 20 oz. and under, and for that, I recall it working just fine.

Wenger should beg and plead with Victorinox to "share" the can opener technology, or they should just leave the tool off altogether on any knife that is not aimed at campers. Replace it with a sturdy flat phillips and just admit that the common man doesn't need it any more.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #134 on: May 08, 2012, 10:31:04 PM
It's not nearly that bad, it just depends on wat can opener you're used to. I am faster with a Wenger and get a cleaner cut with it too. I'm proficient with the Vic can opener too now, but when I first started using it, it was terrible.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #135 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08:36 PM
I grew up with an Imperial Boy Scout knife; and the opener on the Wenger is very similar in design. For me it is faster and easier to use than the one on the Victorinox. All depends on what you're used to.

My old Imperial; my current EDC Wenger Traveler; and an old Victorinox economy Spartan that was my EDC for a number of years back in the 80s.

Karl

IMG_1244.JPG
* IMG_1244.JPG (Filesize: 115.45 KB)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #136 on: May 09, 2012, 01:32:49 AM
I've actually had better luck with the Wenger opener, less jagged edges with it.  I feel that it's a bit easier to use left handed.  I've opened large coffee cans and such with it with no problem. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #137 on: May 09, 2012, 07:37:32 AM
I tried to open a coffee can with my Wenger EvoGrip S16 this morning, and it was an epic FAIL. If that were a can of beans and I were stuck in the wilderness with nothing else to eat, I wouldn't have starved. But I would have sliced my fingers up, gotten infected, and died from gangrene.

It left sharp, jagged edges on both the outside AND inside of the cut lid, and I was only able to cut about 2" before it couldn't get purchase on the rim any more.

That said, I suppose this can opener was designed for smaller food cans, like 20 oz. and under, and for that, I recall it working just fine.

Wenger should beg and plead with Victorinox to "share" the can opener technology, or they should just leave the tool off altogether on any knife that is not aimed at campers. Replace it with a sturdy flat phillips and just admit that the common man doesn't need it any more.

(Wenger is owned by Vic)  ::)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #138 on: May 09, 2012, 06:32:25 PM
Yes, I know. What is your point? It doesn't necessarily mean they allow spill-over of technology between the brands.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #139 on: May 09, 2012, 09:33:50 PM
Yes, I know. What is your point? It doesn't necessarily mean they allow spill-over of technology between the brands.

And I've seen nothing saying they won't.  Point is, Wenger is it's own brand within the brand, and maybe Vic wants to keep Wenger knives the way the are for posterity, who knows?  Just saying.

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #140 on: May 10, 2012, 03:09:34 PM
I have a new "do want" Wenger...

Blackout 10.x :drool:
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #141 on: May 10, 2012, 04:02:34 PM
Its nice, where did you get it...

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #142 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:12 PM
Don't have it yet, it's only on the wanted list...

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: June 22, 2012, 11:40:41 PM
Old 91mm Wenger.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: June 22, 2012, 11:55:54 PM
I was them many years ago and liked but for myself I only recently discovered the small Wengers as well... A bit earlier had a Ranger 55 (still have) but that was it. My discovery was when they introduced the EvoWood scales, I got one, then a second then a third just for the scales... A few pics here. However there are other older classic (not evo) scaled Wengers that I like more: Serrated Master and Tradesman (my favorite for the Philips making it even more rounder and especially for the small clip point blade). I also have a SI for the sake of it. A small island of Wenger SAKs in a (not sea, not that big) pond of Vic SAKs I have :D

Pics of my EvoWoods follow in two posts due to my images limit per post.
042_7797.JPG
* 042_7797.JPG (Filesize: 89.68 KB)
042_7807.JPG
* 042_7807.JPG (Filesize: 120.06 KB)
045_5591.JPG
* 045_5591.JPG (Filesize: 114.75 KB)
049_2952.JPG
* 049_2952.JPG (Filesize: 138.73 KB)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:35 AM
A few more:
049_2953.JPG
* 049_2953.JPG (Filesize: 129.76 KB)
049_2956.JPG
* 049_2956.JPG (Filesize: 139.78 KB)
049_2957.JPG
* 049_2957.JPG (Filesize: 133.9 KB)
049_2960.JPG
* 049_2960.JPG (Filesize: 141.67 KB)

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #146 on: June 23, 2012, 12:38:20 AM
Old 91mm Wenger.

(Image removed from quote.)
Oooh, that's a lovely old knife.  When would you say it was made?
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: June 23, 2012, 01:23:55 AM
Old 91mm Wenger.

Yummy. Do you have a pic showing how thick the tools are on this old one? Thanks

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: June 23, 2012, 03:28:58 PM
Old 91mm Wenger.

<closed-image>
Oooh, that's a lovely old knife.  When would you say it was made?

Sorry I could not say right now other than I think it's before 1950.  Need to research dates, it could be much earlier.  You, Jazz, and James C. would likely be the best to say.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:53:00 PM by ICanFixThat »

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #149 on: June 23, 2012, 04:27:08 PM
My guess is the 1920's.  Wenger used this same shield on their carbon-steel knives that had fiber handles, which would be before 1921 or so and the new stainless steel with a metal shield with crossbow and caplifter with scraper - as shown by photo in the sequence on page 43 of the SAK Owner's Manual.  The Wenger history is always a bit mysterious.
It is interesting that Wenger had a caplifter on their screwdriver in the carbon steel days (yours appears stainless) - long before Victorinox had a caplifter on their 'driver.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69