Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

Offline Helvetica Bold

Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #5970 on: March 09, 2023, 08:57:12 AM
That’s a couple of lovely mods there Barba. That Tourist is a Sportsman… it has the file instead of the small blade ;0)

Just gotta echo Aloha and agree there are some crazy good, very imaginative and attractive  mods coming out recently.

Keep ‘em coming  :hatsoff:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5971 on: March 09, 2023, 09:13:00 AM
 :iagree:
Those bolsters look really nice!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5972 on: March 15, 2023, 08:01:32 AM
That’s a couple of lovely mods there Barba. That Tourist is a Sportsman… it has the file instead of the small blade ;0)

Just gotta echo Aloha and agree there are some crazy good, very imaginative and attractive  mods coming out recently.

Keep ‘em coming  :hatsoff:
Yes. off course you are right. Sportsman with the file, Tourist with penblade :)

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5973 on: March 15, 2023, 08:10:08 AM

rod_sak.jpg
* rod_sak.jpg (Filesize: 431.22 KB)
I decided to do something crazy... Brass liners and home made canvas micarta on a vintage model

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 08:19:03 AM by BarbaBaba »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5974 on: March 15, 2023, 03:25:14 PM
 :2tu:  That came out very nice looking. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5975 on: March 15, 2023, 08:46:39 PM

elg_sak.jpg
* elg_sak.jpg (Filesize: 62.34 KB)

v70fmmO.jpg
* v70fmmO.jpg (Filesize: 35.54 KB)
I have done this lambs foot on the pen blade a few times. I find it very handy on the small blade when cutting leather or against a ruler
Top- Moose horn and brass liners. Bottom- Desert Ironwood and titanium liners

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5976 on: March 16, 2023, 01:23:02 PM
:2tu:  That came out very nice looking.

+1

:dd: :dd:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5977 on: March 16, 2023, 01:23:43 PM
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  I have done this lambs foot on the pen blade a few times. I find it very handy on the small blade when cutting leather or against a ruler
Top- Moose horn and brass liners. Bottom- Desert Ironwood and titanium liners

That dual scale combo is  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5978 on: March 16, 2023, 05:10:09 PM
That dual scale combo is  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:cheers: :tu:
Maybe it´s me who missunderstand what you mean, or you missunderstod my pics... It´s two different knives :)
The one with Ironwood and titanium is not finished in the pic, just took a pic while putting it together :)

RzbeWNo.jpg
* RzbeWNo.jpg (Filesize: 88.64 KB)

here is the finished knife :)

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5979 on: March 16, 2023, 05:16:48 PM
When I started my SAK-mod-building, I started with single layer Alox models. I wanted them to have a feeling of old early 1900 century knives

W4LdXBy.jpg
* W4LdXBy.jpg (Filesize: 176.75 KB)

Brass or nickel silver bolsters with bone or wood scales. Brass liners and pins. They get a fair bit heavier than the original aluminum and celidor
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:22:49 PM by BarbaBaba »

us Offline Enginears

Reply #5980 on: March 16, 2023, 09:12:22 PM
When I started my SAK-mod-building, I started with single layer Alox models. I wanted them to have a feeling of old early 1900 century knives
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Brass or nickel silver bolsters with bone or wood scales. Brass liners and pins. They get a fair bit heavier than the original aluminum and celidor
Those, and all your others posted here are beautiful.  :hatsoff:
The moose horn has a very classic look to it, reminds me of something my grandfather had.

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5981 on: March 17, 2023, 06:47:54 AM
Those, and all your others posted here are beautiful.  :hatsoff:
The moose horn has a very classic look to it, reminds me of something my grandfather had.
Thank you so much! I will take a fresh pic of it with all tools out, and showing how I finished the moose horn. My initial plan was to have it bone-white. It had some nice patina in it, so I enhanced that instead

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5982 on: March 17, 2023, 02:04:18 PM
Maybe it´s me who missunderstand what you mean, or you missunderstod my pics... It´s two different knives :)
The one with Ironwood and titanium is not finished in the pic, just took a pic while putting it together :)
here is the finished knife :)

Nope, my bad! I thought it was just one. The good thing is that I get to  :like: :like: two knives instead of just one!

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5983 on: March 17, 2023, 04:10:54 PM
 :like:
Nope, my bad! I thought it was just one. The good thing is that I get to  :like: :like: two knives instead of just one!

:D :D :D :D

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5984 on: March 21, 2023, 05:52:46 PM
My latest little build. 84mm Sportsman with brass liners and pins. Acid washed tools and African Ebony scales.

IMG_9190.jpg
* IMG_9190.jpg (Filesize: 70.45 KB)

IMG_9191.jpg
* IMG_9191.jpg (Filesize: 71.38 KB)

IMG_9192.jpg
* IMG_9192.jpg (Filesize: 64.46 KB)

Polished inside. Just waiting for the oil to dry before final polishing of the ebony :)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5985 on: March 23, 2023, 04:43:56 PM
My latest little build. 84mm Sportsman with brass liners and pins. Acid washed tools and African Ebony scales.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Polished inside. Just waiting for the oil to dry before final polishing of the ebony :)

:dd: :dd: :dd: :dd:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5986 on: March 26, 2023, 10:45:20 AM

These look great. Am I right in thinking the bolsters are connected under the wood to form the outermost liner and the wood just sits in the dish formed by the connecting plate?

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5987 on: March 26, 2023, 11:49:20 AM
These look great. Am I right in thinking the bolsters are connected under the wood to form the outermost liner and the wood just sits in the dish formed by the connecting plate?
*On the amber bone model in the pic. The bolsters are nickel-silver and are soldered to the brass liners, the amber bone scales are glued and peened to the brass liner.
*The white model have black G-10 liners and white G-10 scales. Glued and peened together :)

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5988 on: March 26, 2023, 11:53:54 AM
@Helvetica Bold
Here is another one with nickel-silver bolsters and stained Ox-bone, also with brass liners and pins (except for the pin in the bolster wich also is nickel-silver
y1N1sHp.jpg
* y1N1sHp.jpg (Filesize: 74.31 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5989 on: April 05, 2023, 07:49:11 PM
Didn't think this deserved it's own topic, I'm pondering whether to add a cybertool to my bladeless mod.
Obviously I need to decide for myself if it's worth it, but what's your opinions on the proposed toolset for an urban SAK? :pok:
Whilst I'm at it, also considering taking off the saw, because again, urban SAK. :think:
Pros: Cybertool!
Cons: Extra thickness?

PXL_20230405_170118372.jpg
* PXL_20230405_170118372.jpg (Filesize: 266.22 KB)

PXL_20230405_173033828.jpg
* PXL_20230405_173033828.jpg (Filesize: 195.16 KB)

All hail the hook!

de Offline Annihilator

Reply #5990 on: April 06, 2023, 07:10:03 AM
What would be bothering me personally, is the redundancy of the philips and the cybertool. I would probably need to remove the magnifier/philips layer to be happy with the added cybertool.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #5991 on: April 06, 2023, 10:37:10 AM
I carried my Cybertool Lite for a while, expecting to be securing and/or unscrewing everything in sight... But mostly I encountered either standard Phillips screws, or allen and torx bolts that were larger than any of the bits in the Cybertool range, for which I have a pocket ratchet set.
I still use teh Cybertool, but only when working on electronics, but even then I tend to have a far wider range of dedicated tools already on hand. It's more of a showpiece than anything else.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5992 on: April 06, 2023, 10:45:30 AM
What would be bothering me personally, is the redundancy of the philips and the cybertool. I would probably need to remove the magnifier/philips layer to be happy with the added cybertool.
That's a good point. :cheers: I definitely see what you mean.

I carried my Cybertool Lite for a while, expecting to be securing and/or unscrewing everything in sight... But mostly I encountered either standard Phillips screws, or allen and torx bolts that were larger than any of the bits in the Cybertool range, for which I have a pocket ratchet set.
I still use teh Cybertool, but only when working on electronics, but even then I tend to have a far wider range of dedicated tools already on hand. It's more of a showpiece than anything else.
Thanks for the carry experience!
Yeah, maybe I'm not going to find many opportunities in which a cybertool is needed. :facepalm:

I realized that this bladeless mod has most of the tools from a swisschamp, except for the pliers, fishscaler, and of course the blades. Right now it's significantly thinner than a swisschamp, but there wouldn't be much thickness difference if I added on the cybertool. At which point I might go "maybe I should just use the swisschamp" if I end up thinking the cybertool isn't very useful in practice.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

Offline eugenewee89

• New User
Reply #5993 on: April 11, 2023, 09:40:28 AM
Hi gents, just got into modding SAKs and this forum has been a beacon of light for me as a beginner. Not to forget Cody at Fit 2 Survive's Youtube channel for the awesome tutorials.

I'm presenting my personal custom Roadman. Inspired by one of Cody's creation with includes the Spyderco Roadie but in a 84mm frame. Started out as a Tinker Small, adding a scissors from a Wenger. Added the Roadie blade and used 2 X Recruit backspring and custom spacer.

2023_0411_13255500.jpg
* 2023_0411_13255500.jpg (Filesize: 336.03 KB)

2023_0411_13255700.jpg
* 2023_0411_13255700.jpg (Filesize: 336.17 KB)

2023_0411_13260100.jpg
* 2023_0411_13260100.jpg (Filesize: 324.5 KB)

2023_0411_13260300.jpg
* 2023_0411_13260300.jpg (Filesize: 410.88 KB)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:46:32 AM by eugenewee89 »

de Offline Annihilator

Reply #5994 on: April 12, 2023, 08:41:21 AM
That looks really nice :tu: I have asked myself what an impact the acid wash has on the sharpness of the tools like the can-opener and the scissors. Would you share some experience?

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5995 on: April 12, 2023, 09:59:12 AM

IMG_9250[28807].jpg
* IMG_9250[28807].jpg (Filesize: 159.99 KB)

I built my first 3 layer 84mm :) . I prefer  2 layer 84mm´s when it comes to pocket carry, so I tried to make it as thin as possible. I used 0,5mm brass for liners and home made jute micarta for the scales. Unfortunately it turned out a bit on the thick side anyway, so I sanded the scales down a bit more (and needed to peen it again). Now it´s about the same thickness as a 2 layer, but the nice pattern is gone...

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #5996 on: April 12, 2023, 10:01:58 AM
That looks really nice :tu: I have asked myself what an impact the acid wash has on the sharpness of the tools like the can-opener and the scissors. Would you share some experience?
You will need to sharpen them again when they are done. I do my washing in a plastic jar with shards from broken coffee cups, and ceramic shards will dull the sharp edges

de Offline Annihilator

Reply #5997 on: April 13, 2023, 10:35:52 AM
You will need to sharpen them again when they are done. I do my washing in a plastic jar with shards from broken coffee cups, and ceramic shards will dull the sharp edges

I figured, but how do you sharpen the round edge of the can opener, the edges of a wenger scissors or a woodsaw? I'd imagine that is an extreme pain in the a**.

Offline eugenewee89

• New User
Reply #5998 on: April 13, 2023, 03:52:21 PM
I figured, but how do you sharpen the round edge of the can opener, the edges of a wenger scissors or a woodsaw? I'd imagine that is an extreme pain in the a**.

For the can opener, I took the ceramic rods from my Sharpmaker and just resharpen it. It doesn't have to be razor sharp. As for the Wenger Scissors, they are self-sharpening so no resharpening required. The saw probably would be definite pain.. but you can protect the teeth with nail polish before acid-etch.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #5999 on: April 13, 2023, 05:39:47 PM
Woodsaw would be sharpened with the appropriate sawfile, just like any other woodworking handsaw.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%