Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...

Chako · 1171 · 29074

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...
Reply #1020 on: October 04, 2020, 11:40:21 PM
Well the older kids going to be joining this subject, he just bought his first bike, It’s a 2020 Harley low rider S soft tail, has a 114 cubic inch engine that produces 100hp and 120ftlbs of torque,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #1021 on: October 05, 2020, 12:45:32 AM
 :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1022 on: October 05, 2020, 01:32:52 AM
I might get one thing checked off the bucket list, although we might move before he’s comfortable with someone on the back, but I’ve always wanted a bike, always wanted to ride, but with my medical I can’t just like I can’t drive, so maybe he’ll take me for a spin on the back, heck it’s been so long since I’ve been behind the wheel of a car and jokingly when he got his stick camaro, I asked “so when you going to let dad take it for a spin”? And funny thing was we were in the area of a big empty building and the parking lot was empty, he kicked mom out and said let’s go! Been a while since working a stick but like riding a bike you don’t forget, he was kinda shocked that dad could work it and then in reverse, but he kept his hand on the ebrake, lol, but was like :woohoo:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1023 on: October 05, 2020, 02:17:42 AM
Go for it...but absolutely make sure he is ready to take on a passenger. Before you do, he will need a rear seat and a sissy bar so you don't fall off the back end.

Enabling in 3...2...1...

A sidecar?  :pok:  :pok:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1024 on: October 05, 2020, 03:19:30 AM
Go for it...but absolutely make sure he is ready to take on a passenger. Before you do, he will need a rear seat and a sissy bar so you don't fall off the back end.

Enabling in 3...2...1...

A sidecar?  :pok:  :pok:
Idk what hes doing anymore he’s done a 180° in life, he’s always told us he wanted a crotch rocket and wouldn’t get anything but one, but then his gf loves HD’s and look what he bought :whistle:
JR

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #1025 on: October 05, 2020, 11:30:05 AM

Enabling in 3...2...1...

+1 on the pillion readiness. If you are nervous the bike and rider will tense up too. Look over the riders left shoulder if he is turning left and visa versa. It takes a while to adjust to a pillion, but a relaxed pillion makes a happy riding couple.

That is a good looking HD!!!

Pete

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #1026 on: October 05, 2020, 02:54:19 PM
He has chosen a very nice first bike JR  :like:
I had a old bike for my first bike
I would love a new bike
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1027 on: October 05, 2020, 03:48:54 PM
He has chosen a very nice first bike JR  :like:
I had a old bike for my first bike
I would love a new bike
I never had anything new, I would have played it smart and gotten something used especially as a first bike!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1028 on: October 14, 2020, 03:54:13 AM
Well the kid passed his written and ridding test and will be getting his license, he rode the bike home for the first time, only problem is he had to leave the truck back at the shop, cause he doesn’t have anyone to drive it home for him, lol..
JR

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1029 on: October 14, 2020, 07:07:21 AM
Been down three times.

1. Get leathers with pucks so you slide rather than roll.

2. Get  a roadcrafter for when it’s too hot for leathers.

3. If it’s too hot in the roadcrafter, pour water down the inside.

4. If it’s too hot with water Inside, stay home and wrench.

5. If you like your jaw, wear a full face helmet.

6. Elk skin Gloves without studs.

7. Boots that will stay on from 70 mph to 0 mph.

8. Develop a sixth sense for sand and gravel.

9. At 90F oil comes up through oil and gravel in mountain roads.

10. Turn off ABS in gravel.

11. Ride like they don’t care about you, because they don’t.

It’s still one of the greatest legal feelings there is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1030 on: October 14, 2020, 12:01:55 PM
Been down three times.

1. Get leathers with pucks so you slide rather than roll.

2. Get  a roadcrafter for when it’s too hot for leathers.

3. If it’s too hot in the roadcrafter, pour water down the inside.

4. If it’s too hot with water Inside, stay home and wrench.

5. If you like your jaw, wear a full face helmet.

6. Elk skin Gloves without studs.

7. Boots that will stay on from 70 mph to 0 mph.

8. Develop a sixth sense for sand and gravel.

9. At 90F oil comes up through oil and gravel in mountain roads.

10. Turn off ABS in gravel.

11. Ride like they don’t care about you, because they don’t.

It’s still one of the greatest legal feelings there is.

Pretty much everything he said.

:cheers: :tu:

Awlso:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #1031 on: October 14, 2020, 03:39:51 PM
 :iagree: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1032 on: October 14, 2020, 04:12:23 PM
Thanks, I’ll pass the word on to him, it’s not like he listens to dad, not that I know my motorcycle musts since I never had one,,

But since it was his first time on the open road and it’s an hour ride home, he said it was like nothing he’s ever done before, it felt so good, so moms like good ride 10min over and show us the dang bike, and he’s like but I just parked it in the garage,, he said, if his gf doesn’t come to dinner today he’ll ride it over..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1033 on: October 14, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
I passed the word on and he said he likes it, so listen cause I’m sure you don’t want to end up like this guy..
JR

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1034 on: October 14, 2020, 06:30:03 PM
A couple more tthings, and I’m sorry if I sound like a village explainer, but if I keep one person out of a hospital, who knows, it might be the difference between heaven and hell in my case. I reckon I’m always on the line.

IMHO most motorcycle accident/injuries in the first five years of riding would be avoided, or managed, with my big 11 above and what I am about to add:

Don’t be too proud, or too cheap, to take rider training from a serious program. Nothing beats quick reactions, staying present, good anticipation, riding defensively, and a well maintained machine, but training is everything in risk taking. I’m sorry I cannot authoritatively recommend a program, because I have been away from riding for a long time. I got off my bike, when my son was born. I was going to stay off till he could take care of himself, but  he had a disability, so I decided I could not afford the risk anymore and never remounted. With my passion for riding distanced, I figure I can be more objective and pass it on to those now learning.

There are always a few serious riding schools, for serious riders, and those considering racing. Ideally, you want someone who has raced, but is training you to ride either on the street or on a track. Lee Parks Total Control Training is what I would take, if I were getting back on, because I once knew him and found him to be a man of good character and high skill. But there are probably others now, too. You train to ride for the same reason you train to dive, parachute, surf, use a fire arm for self defense, or go to war. Anything you have seen in training a few times gives you a little mind and muscle memory that quickens your reactions in live action later. Some persons are born with insight, while others need to develop it about risk taking activities. Rider training develops that insight. You want to feel lost traction on a track with no trees, guard rails, or traffic bearing down, before you encounter it on the road. You want to LEARN your limits in training, not DISCOVER them on the street.

My father taught me to be very choosey about who I hunted with. It was good advice. I found the same applied to who one rode with. Some of the most interesting persons ride motorcycles. But not all interesting persons are one’s you should ride with. I have ridden with and trusted a retired Green Beret, a minister, a musician, a banker, a former bike gang member, a farmer, a motorcycle journalist and a few others. But I have also met persons in each of these fields that rode that I would NOT ride with. Good riding companions do NOT push you beyond your skills and abilities. Most riders I rode with were more capable than me and they quickly realized it. They tailored their riding for me. And as I wised up about riding, I grew to appreciate what they did.

The most careful rider I ever met was a retired Green Beret. He prided himself on three things: endurance, staying up, and arrival. He could ride fast, but he did not like to ride fast. He had ridden most continents of the world. And he had ridden a long ways on each of them. He could kill you a hundred ways, but fortunately he never showed me those skills. He just showed me how to ride by letting me watch him from behind on a few short (for him) junkets. And when we stopped for lunch, he was an excellent conversationalist and story teller interested in the world of another person. This is rare. And I appreciated him very much. Look for such persons. They are there. There is no need to point out the wrong kind of person to ride with. It’s the same kind of person that is bad to do business with, bad to go camping with, bad to engage in any skilled activity with.

As you can probably tell, I love motorcycles and motorcycling. I have always loved travel and it is the BEST way to travel. But life is a balancing act. Always decide what things are most important to you and then do them to the fullest. Let go of anything that threatens that balance. I had to let go of riding, because going down threatened the balance of the things I valued most. And I just knew myself and I knew I would never be able to never go down again. I just was not that good of a rider, given the kind of riding I liked to do, Some riders can ride a life time and never go down. I was not among them and I knew it. But the memories last a life time and I’m okay with that.

Tell your kid to keep the wheels down and enjoy the ride.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1035 on: October 14, 2020, 07:20:49 PM
Dang, I had to send that in two pics, but ty sgt,
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1036 on: October 14, 2020, 08:16:49 PM
Here is my advice. Be a peacock. Do not be one of the multitudes that wear all black. Likewise...make your motorcycle be visible.

I did get myself into an accident once. I did  everything right and they still got me. I was in the hospital planning my next motorcycle. I was never a lover of loud pipes...but that side swipping car told me he did not see me...nor did he hear me. Now I am super defensive...not liking cars next to me on the roadway. Loud pipes annoy everyone including me...but I would rather be annoyed then getting terrible service from the local hospital staff...or dead.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1037 on: October 14, 2020, 09:15:08 PM
Thanks Chako, I sent him what you said let along with a pic of your Star that you posted a little back that you took on one of your rides,
JR

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1038 on: October 14, 2020, 10:47:03 PM
Couple weeks ago... Fall is very nice here indeed.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1039 on: October 15, 2020, 01:05:57 AM
Altis,

When persons ask why persons ride “murdercycles,” those pictures are why.

Man. Machine. Nature. And a road less travelled.

Thanks for sharing.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1040 on: October 15, 2020, 02:28:58 AM
Altis,

When persons ask why persons ride “murdercycles,” those pictures are why.

Man. Machine. Nature. And a road less travelled.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind words. It's certainly a unique experience to motorcycle that I don't think can be found doing anything else.

I will say I probably should have gotten an Adventure-Touring bike though as I find myself pretty far off the beaten path on street tires.  :whistle: The 500 twin engine is absolutely sweet though for all kinds of riding.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1041 on: October 15, 2020, 03:24:31 AM
The sense of floating down the highway does it for me....along with the wind in your face, the noise, and the vibrations. Nothing feels like it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1042 on: October 15, 2020, 04:03:36 AM
Well, the kid was here for dinner, and mom asked him what he wanted for Xmas, he’s like $$, well, she says I was going to get you a gift card to HD, he’s like why not just give me cash, so she spits it out since the gf wasn’t here, cause I want you to have something and not go take her to dinner.. so he’s like well how much were you going to give to the HD dealer, I think she said like $100, so he starts :rofl: like mom, do you know that that will buy? I said probably a keychain,, lol.. but he really wants engine guard..
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1043 on: October 15, 2020, 04:36:03 AM
Buy him Jean's with kevlar lining. That should come close to 100 if not a little more.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1044 on: October 15, 2020, 04:39:14 AM
Well, the kid was here for dinner, and mom asked him what he wanted for Xmas, he’s like $$, well, she says I was going to get you a gift card to HD, he’s like why not just give me cash, so she spits it out since the gf wasn’t here, cause I want you to have something and not go take her to dinner.. so he’s like well how much were you going to give to the HD dealer, I think she said like $100, so he starts :rofl: like mom, do you know that that will buy? I said probably a keychain,, lol.. but he really wants engine guard..
JR

Hey a hundred bucks towards motorcycling from his mother is quite a nice gift! Heck, just having his mother's blessing to be on a bike in the first place.  :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1045 on: October 15, 2020, 06:06:19 AM
Hey a hundred bucks towards motorcycling from his mother is quite a nice gift! Heck, just having his mother's blessing to be on a bike in the first place.  :D
We figured we’d get him the engine guard / mustache bar, what ever you call it,
JR

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #1046 on: October 15, 2020, 12:06:19 PM
Well said Sgt T.

I think a lot can be said of how we should ride as well as passing little bits of good info on, but only time riding will build good solid road craft.

I have a son that will start a riding career next year. I believe in All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), NO exceptions. This stuff keeps you alive when things goes bad. The other deal I have made with him is that I will match every $1 for rider training he is prepared to spend, AND I'll do it with him. The way I see training is an investment in one safety and long term riding career. I still do training, 25 years after I started riding my first bike. There is always something to learn.

Cheers, Pete

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #1047 on: October 15, 2020, 05:46:30 PM
I believe in All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), NO exceptions. This stuff keeps you alive when things goes bad.

I had to learn this lesson (thankfully nothing serious), back when I was younger and even stupider.  I was mucking about in my parent's front yard (probably doing wheelies or something), fell off and didn't have the leather gloves I usually wore when riding bikes, gave myself a good case of gravel rash to my hands.  From then on I always wore my protective gear anytime my bike was not stationary.  And yes, it saved me a few times when I was unable to keep my bike shiny side up.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1048 on: October 15, 2020, 06:48:30 PM
 :iagree:

I always wear kevlar lined jeans, a motorcycle jacket, gloves, helmet, and solid boots designed for motorcycling.

I see so many wearing T shirts, flip flops, and shorts. :facepalm:

I have a pair of leather chaps that I do not like wearing...so I compromise with the motorcycling jeans.

My helmet is loud and bright, as is my jackets. The last thing I want to look like is some biker gang dude.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1049 on: October 15, 2020, 07:34:44 PM
....I think a lot can be said of how we should ride as well as passing little bits of good info on, but only time riding will build good solid road craft.

I have a son that will start a riding career next year. I believe in All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), NO exceptions. This stuff keeps you alive when things goes bad.

I would add that high-visibility gear has made such a colossal difference that I cannot put it into words.

I went from having dark gear and bike with only a single white light on the front to a white helmet, high-vis vest, and red bike with two headlights and two amber lights on all the time. It's so rare to get cut off now and drivers give me much more space in general.

I wish I had done it sooner. I don't miss the feeling of having to hope that cars don't pull out across / in front of me. So much more important to go home in one piece than look "cool" to strangers who don't even care.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%