Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!

rdub934 · 342 · 37703

it Offline balvenie

Re: SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!
Reply #90 on: January 19, 2016, 05:48:49 PM
Thanx guys :tu:
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #91 on: January 20, 2016, 05:12:54 AM
Do anyone know when the powerplay will be available?

1 March, according to Chris from SOG. It looks pretty cool.

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #92 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:41 AM
This one is quite interesting --- USD80 with bit kit?  If this shows up locally, this might be my first SOG. 

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: January 20, 2016, 07:35:06 AM
This one is quite interesting --- USD80 with bit kit?  If this shows up locally, this might be my first SOG. 

I wasn't really all that interested at first, but after seeing the video... it's a sharp little tool kit. Now, if I can just find a video about the Reactor
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:05 PM
Yes I want one. Very cool they incorporated outside blades. SOG is really starting to get some traction. Leatherman better watch out.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: January 20, 2016, 12:28:35 PM
I wonder if you can customize tools with the powerplay? It looks like a winner.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

it Offline balvenie

Reply #96 on: January 20, 2016, 01:08:28 PM
Interesting. I think in Europe the price will around 100€... Would be nice to have a Close Look of the tool
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #97 on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:49 PM
Did I miss it, or are there no gear covers on the PowerPlay?

And why make it PowerAssist sized? Why not base it on the Pocket PowerPlier instead?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: January 20, 2016, 04:08:48 PM
Size...?

The best of SOG (compund leverage pliers) with the best of Leatherman (outside locking blades with no chisel ground)...

We will wait to see your first review USA SOG guys!!!  :gimme:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: January 20, 2016, 04:16:03 PM
Did I miss it, or are there no gear covers on the PowerPlay?

And why make it PowerAssist sized? Why not base it on the Pocket PowerPlier instead?

Yes, too thick  :rant:

In PPP size or better in LM Juice size but with the power of compound leverage pliers will be a winner...!!!   :drool: :drool: :drool:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:17:25 PM by alexTOOL »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #100 on: January 20, 2016, 04:39:50 PM
They do seem to have gone for a comprehensive tool set to get the most from the extra thickness. They may consider a slimmer if the market accepts the concept well enough. The lack of gear covers would be an issue for me though. It would be fine using the bit driver feature by the looks of it, but the other drivers etc would potentially suffer I terms of ergonomics.

It'll be interesting to hear some first hand reports from guys here on the forum in a few months

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:27 PM
I don't mind the size. How can you tell it is powerassist size? Do the smaller tools lock or just the blades? It is hard to tell on the video. A closer view would be nice.  Btw thanks rdub. You have been on it.  :cheers:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: January 20, 2016, 10:40:55 PM
I don't mind the size. How can you tell it is powerassist size? Do the smaller tools lock or just the blades? It is hard to tell on the video. A closer view would be nice.  Btw thanks rdub. You have been on it.  :cheers:
He says full sized in the video, which leads one to assume it is the same size as their large tools like the powerlock and powerassist. Leatherman and Gerber also use the same terms  (mid size and full size) for their 4" and 4.5" tools, sosothe terms are fairly standard across the insustry

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:45 AM
I am dying to see some better pictures of these tools and NOTHING yet! Day two is over and NOBODY has made a video or posted pictures of the Reactor. We had the one video featuring the PowerPlay, but it didn't really have any close-ups. All the hub-bub with SOG has been their new backpacks.

Sorry, just venting frustration at looking for something all day (for two days) and not getting anything.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: January 21, 2016, 07:09:49 AM
Disregard last!!! :rofl: REACTOR!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: January 21, 2016, 07:33:06 AM
A few observations. The gear covers may not be as necessary on these new tools because the base of the pliers, the magnetic bit driver area I guess, protrudes slightly further than the gears. Also, in a surprising twist - the arm of the Reactor is just a bit holder, not the driver. The driver is in the plier-head, just like the PowerPlay. One thing I'll say that has me a little concerned with the Reactor, it looks pretty thick. Otherwise, it looks awesome and has a sweet knife - two areas the Skeletool really excels, and draws in customers. It looks like SOG has a legit Skeletool competitor in their line-up now. For the PowerPlay, I still don't understand putting a tool out that is going to compete with other products in your line-up, but it does look well thought out. I don't know, we'll see soon enough I suppose as he said they are coming out in March!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: January 21, 2016, 07:55:42 AM
A few screen caps of the SOG Reactor  :drool:
Reactor 2.jpg
* Reactor 2.jpg (Filesize: 163.16 KB)
Reactor 3.jpg
* Reactor 3.jpg (Filesize: 126.04 KB)
Reactor.jpg
* Reactor.jpg (Filesize: 102.86 KB)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:16:28 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: January 21, 2016, 07:57:53 AM
More SOG Reactor. I couldn't get a non-blurry picture of the driver - Chris would not stop shaking it around!  :rant:

:D
Reactor Knife.jpg
* Reactor Knife.jpg (Filesize: 97.37 KB)
Reactor Driver.jpg
* Reactor Driver.jpg (Filesize: 148.6 KB)
Reactor Cap-Lifter.jpg
* Reactor Cap-Lifter.jpg (Filesize: 142.49 KB)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:15:52 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:00 AM
PowerPlay screen caps.
PowerPlay.jpg
* PowerPlay.jpg (Filesize: 171.31 KB)
PowerPlay2.jpg
* PowerPlay2.jpg (Filesize: 179.37 KB)
PowerPlay3.jpg
* PowerPlay3.jpg (Filesize: 156.06 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: January 21, 2016, 08:15:18 AM
More PowerPlay.
PowerPlay Pliers.jpg
* PowerPlay Pliers.jpg (Filesize: 133.95 KB)
PowerPlay Handle.jpg
* PowerPlay Handle.jpg (Filesize: 142.45 KB)
PowerPlay Knife.jpg
* PowerPlay Knife.jpg (Filesize: 156.76 KB)
PowerPlay Driver.jpg
* PowerPlay Driver.jpg (Filesize: 152.78 KB)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #110 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:46 AM
I agree with the Reactor being a competitor to the Skelletool -- with the matching jab at it during the video.  Wonder if they'll sell this with a matching bit set?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #111 on: January 21, 2016, 09:06:57 AM
I'm most interested in the a Reactor. I do not like the design of the powerplay. I am not saying anything bad about it, but it's just not drawing me in. I do however love the molded sheath and wish other companies would do this as well. I always hate how much heft a sheath adds and the thinner the better so I am loving the sheath, but sadly it's only for a tool I am not interested in. I am not sure about the new bit driver design yet. I will save judgement until it gets released and some actual use. Not a bad showing from SOG, but I'm not really impressed at all especially since they mentioned it's the "year of the multitool" for them and this is all they came up with.

One side note. When he first pops out the Switchplier he says something like "it has good spring in the pliers" while at that exact moment it appears the pliers do not spring back all the way. I could just be seeing thing but check it out and let me know what you think.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: January 21, 2016, 10:14:20 AM
I like the design of that bit-holder in the PowerPlay. Since I mostly use screwdrivers that might be a winner for me.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #113 on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:27 AM
I don't like the lock tabs on the PowerPlay  :-\
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #114 on: January 21, 2016, 02:01:14 PM
The Reactor looks way better than it did in the leaked pic. I'm thinking SOG might have a hit here.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:16 PM
The Reactor looks way better than it did in the leaked pic. I'm thinking SOG might have a hit here.
Agreed.  I wonder if there is space to slip another double sided bit into the bit holder. If there is, and SOG gets the QC right,  this could be a Skeletool killer.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: January 21, 2016, 03:38:09 PM
One side note. When he first pops out the Switchplier he says something like "it has good spring in the pliers" while at that exact moment it appears the pliers do not spring back all the way. I could just be seeing thing but check it out and let me know what you think.

I noticed something weird happened there as well. It's like he hesitated before giving it a squeeze. And when he did, it was very gingerly.

I don't like the lock tabs on the PowerPlay  :-\

That is specifically the reason I posted the freeze frame of the handles. When I saw it from that angle, I noticed the lock tabs seem to stick out a lot, on what is an otherwise pretty smooth profile.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:39:53 PM by rdub934 »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: January 21, 2016, 04:22:30 PM
I am still excited to get my hands on the powerplay. The lock tabs do protrude some. I'll reserve judgement until I get it in hand. The reactor seems like the Powerduo and Skeletool love child. I am sure the bits from the powerplay can be used on the reactor. And I am glad they didn't keep the driver on the arm :ahhh

overall after initial close up videos I think SOG r & d department has put in hard work and it is paying off. Vic still hasn't put out an explorer with pliers :facepalm: Leatherman is relying on their name and putting out lazy designs. SOG seems to be rebuding their brand. If qc is up to par this will put them back in the game as serious contenders.  Thanks for putting in ot rdub getting those videos and pics up. :hatsoff:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: January 21, 2016, 04:26:49 PM
Agreed.  I wonder if there is space to slip another double sided bit into the bit holder. If there is, and SOG gets the QC right,  this could be a Skeletool killer.

Sadly in Europe won´t be a Skeletool killer.

In Spain spring assited knives are forbidden weapons.
A liner lock would be enough!  :twak: :twak: :twak:

See what our police has confiscated as forbidden weapons...:

http://www.elnortedecastilla.es/nacional/201601/20/guardia-civil-incauta-tarjetas-20160120183659.html

Another confiscation:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:28:01 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: January 21, 2016, 04:35:23 PM
Thanks for putting in ot rdub getting those videos and pics up. :hatsoff:
Agreed. Props to you rdub. Thanks for keeping us informed  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%