Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pin Sizes

us Offline Craig T

Pin Sizes
on: October 25, 2016, 02:42:42 AM
I am preparing to mod a SAK Outrider and have been looking for the pin sizes.  This is almost certainly often repeated info.  I have been searching but have not found the answer.

This is listed in "A "how-to" for basic SAK mods"
91mm: 2.5mm outer, 2.2mm (2.25) center
84mm: 2.25mm for all
74mm: 2mm modern, 1.5mm older
58mm: 1.5mm

The Outrider is 111 mm.  Are 91mm and larger all the same pin sizes?

Also, what the favorite sources for brass pins stock?

Sorry if these are often asked annoyingly simple questions.  Sometimes I just don't seem to find info that other folk find easily.

As always, any input is most appreciated.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Pin Sizes
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:54:02 AM
111mm liner lock models follow the 93mm pin sizes, ie: 3mm outer and 2.5mm inner.

111mm slide lock models follow the 91mm pin sizes...

Info can be found in this thread:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=48172.0

I think it is also part of the list of mod guides in the sticky section under The Mod Squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:06:36 AM by jaya_man »

us Offline Craig T

Re: Pin Sizes
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:29:30 AM
Thanks jaya_man for the info and thread link.  Very helpful info.

If I decide to proceed with adding parts from a 111mm liner lock (3 / 2.5mm pins) into the Outrider 111mm slide lock (2.5 / 2.2mm pins) I will need to drill out the Outrider components.

What type of drill bits have you folk found to do the best job at drilling the hard steel?  High speed steel?  Carbide tipped?  Solid carbide?  Carbide straight flute?

Has anyone gone in the other direction and put a bushing in the 3mm holes to reduce to 2.5mm?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:31 AM
No worries...

My only experience is using HSS bits (waisted a lot) for reducing pivot hole size on 91mm scissors so that I can implant them on 84mm...

As there is not much difference between 2.5mm and 2.2mm, first had to enlarge it to 3mm, stuff the hole with brass, then redrill 2.2mm hole...

I have yet to find carbide bits

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:41:46 AM
Honestly, I havent had any trouble with holes that were .5mm larger than the pins they rode on. Heck, Victorinox even uses the 93mm awl and pruning blade on the XAVT, with 3mm holes, and 2.5mm pins! I test fit everything with the 2.5mm pins, and see if everything works correctly, because honestly, drilling those pivots and springs out is a huge pain in the ass, especially with only HSS bits (expect to go through one bit per two holes, if you are lucky!)

Do you have Amazon where you live? There are lots of options for carbide drill bits on American Amazon
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:39 AM
Honestly, I havent had any trouble with holes that were .5mm larger than the pins they rode on. Heck, Victorinox even uses the 93mm awl and pruning blade on the XAVT, with 3mm holes, and 2.5mm pins! I test fit everything with the 2.5mm pins, and see if everything works correctly, because honestly, drilling those pivots and springs out is a huge pain in the ass, especially with only HSS bits (expect to go through one bit per two holes, if you are lucky!)

Do you have Amazon where you live? There are lots of options for carbide drill bits on American Amazon
Have yet to have an amazon account... still searching local distributors

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 11:32:53 AM
I have been using carbide drills like these for drilling blade/tool/spring pin holes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271627790645?

They really need to be used in a drill press, very brittle and shatter if you try to use them in a hand drill and put any side load on them.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:09:08 PM by PTRSAK »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:58:15 PM
Good info here. :like:  I'll add a link to this topic to the SAK modding guide sticky post: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 03:01:53 PM
especially with only HSS bits (expect to go through one bit per two holes, if you are lucky!)

I've sometimes had a ratio closer to the other way around, 2 bits ruined for 1 hole!  Drilling out a hole to a slightly larger size is hell for twist drills because all the load is on the corners of the bit and they go blunt so quickly.  Solid carbide reamers are the business :) The first time I tried one, it went through the stainless steel with so little resistance that I thought I'd forgotten to tighten the chuck!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 04:20:18 PM
especially with only HSS bits (expect to go through one bit per two holes, if you are lucky!)

I've sometimes had a ratio closer to the other way around, 2 bits ruined for 1 hole!  Drilling out a hole to a slightly larger size is hell for twist drills because all the load is on the corners of the bit and they go blunt so quickly.  Solid carbide reamers are the business :) The first time I tried one, it went through the stainless steel with so little resistance that I thought I'd forgotten to tighten the chuck!
Too bad carbide doesn't play nicely with hand drills
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline proletenstahl

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 01:58:50 PM
I am preparing to mod a SAK Outrider and have been looking for the pin sizes.  This is almost certainly often repeated info.  I have been searching but have not found the answer.

This is listed in "A "how-to" for basic SAK mods"
91mm: 2.5mm outer, 2.2mm (2.25) center
84mm: 2.25mm for all
74mm: 2mm modern, 1.5mm older
58mm: 1.5mm

The 84 mm long nail file uses a 1.7 mm pin.

Offline LSUisSEC

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 06:01:40 AM
What pin size for the 91mm huntsman?

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Pin Sizes
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 09:23:16 AM
What pin size for the 91mm huntsman?
As original post 2.5mm and 2.2/2.25mm.

I might be wrong, but I’m under the impression that 2.2 or 2.25mm brass rod is harder to find in the USA than Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:57:13 AM by SAKTaschenmesser »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44