Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Plus? Charge Plus?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Wave Plus? Charge Plus?
Reply #120 on: February 26, 2018, 11:35:58 PM
I saw a video on youtube and it said only for sale in the US, is the + tools not coming to Europe?

They are already here mate :D.

(Image removed from quote.)

Omg! Is there any place that ships to Sweden that got them???  :gimme:

I don't know mate, I found mine at the local outdoor shop, I doubt they will ship to Sweden  :-\.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #121 on: February 27, 2018, 11:40:58 AM
Top notch pics TG 8) :like: :like:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #122 on: February 27, 2018, 11:26:04 PM
Top notch pics TG 8) :like: :like:
Thanks Poncho, took those inside, with bad lighting and with my smartphone ... but they turned out just fine, didn't they  ;).

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #123 on: February 28, 2018, 05:33:09 AM
I saw a video on youtube and it said only for sale in the US, is the + tools not coming to Europe?

Heinnie in the UK will, but probably best to wait for lamnia.com
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #124 on: February 28, 2018, 09:08:22 AM
How does te Wave+ plierhead compare to the OHT?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #125 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:34 AM
Gerber should go in the other direction of the Wave+ and offer the Center-Drive with non-replaceable wire-cutters.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: February 28, 2018, 09:44:55 AM
Gerber should go in the other direction of the Wave+ and offer the Center-Drive with non-replaceable wire-cutters.

Hmm, to me replaceable cutters are a God sent. They need to change it to a decent material. If leatherman can use a chunk of 154 at the same price or even cheaper, I dun see why gerber can't do that.

bavaria Offline ElSteverino

Reply #127 on: March 02, 2018, 05:50:45 PM
Greetings all,

I received a Charge Plus from a Polish Webshop a couple of days ago, but would welcome some advice from the Leatherman regulars

I'm really happy with the feature set (it's why I bought it after all!) but the quality control appears to be lacking..
So much so that I'm already toying around with the idea of returning it and buying a ST Spirit, or sending it to LM for a rework, but wanted to get the consensus from you guys first.
This my first LM since a bomb-proof PST I had over a decade ago.

Pliers - incredibly stiff to open, so much so that working with them now is a pain in the ass - Yeah ok, it's no biggie if it'll loosen up with time (or even after degrease/regrease routine) but is this normal?

Can opener & bit driver - so loose, they're flapping around whenever you open the tool - I've tried making the screws tight as I dare with my nails, but they only stay put for a short period -  Loctite would be the answer, but should this be needed on a brand new tool!?

Main Blade - incredibly tight to deploy that it needs two hands to open comfortably, or isVERY uncomfortable to the opening thumb. The serrated blade is buttery smooth to open, so I guess the screw on the main blade side was over-torqued at the factory  :twak:

File - is DULL (Compared to Victorinox) ..this thing wouldn't scare the edges off wood, let alone metal!  Is this common for the new Leatherman tools?

On a happier note, the new sheath is REALLY nice, the big opening buckle is rock solid opening and closing, and my bit extender and micro torch are nicely secured due to the nylon being wide enough to cover the opposite side of the opening, preventing lateral fall-through :cheers:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #128 on: March 02, 2018, 06:08:01 PM
Welcome  :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #129 on: March 02, 2018, 06:34:32 PM
The pliers are sometimes stiff to begin with but should loosen with use. The file should absolutely not be dull and the tools shouldn't be loose enough to flop open.

If it was me I would try tightening the loose tools up but the dull file would be a no go and I would return it for a replacement.

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #130 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:57 PM
If you want to tight the loose tools you will probably need a set of loki- mobile wrenches, because using needle nose pliers will ruin the nice black oxide finish. I'm not sure why LM uses those knurled head pivot screws instead the 6 point star? Maybe something to do with the aluminum scales?  :think:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

Reply #131 on: March 03, 2018, 02:00:13 AM
If you want to tight the loose tools you will probably need a set of loki- mobile wrenches, because using needle nose pliers will ruin the nice black oxide finish. I'm not sure why LM uses those knurled head pivot screws instead the 6 point star? Maybe something to do with the aluminum scales?  :think:

Wow, thanks for the great tips, I've dropped loki a PM

The pliers are sometimes stiff to begin with but should loosen with use. The file should absolutely not be dull and the tools shouldn't be loose enough to flop open.

If it was me I would try tightening the loose tools up but the dull file would be a no go and I would return it for a replacement.

Well calling them dull may be a *slight* exaggeration, but as I said, compared to Victorinox's, which I would call fairly aggressive, the LM is dull in comparison.

Thanks, it's great to be here :cheers:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #132 on: March 03, 2018, 04:11:19 AM

Wow, thanks for the great tips, I've dropped loki a PM

Well calling them dull may be a *slight* exaggeration, but as I said, compared to Victorinox's, which I would call fairly aggressive, the LM is dull in comparison.

Thanks, it's great to be here :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :drink:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #133 on: March 03, 2018, 12:14:52 PM
Hope you get the problems sorted without having to return it or send it in :salute: I think I only have one newer tool ( my New Surge from 2017) and it didn't have many or any issue :salute: Sorry to hear about the QC not being up to snuff :facepalm:

Reply #134 on: March 03, 2018, 04:16:47 PM
Hope you get the problems sorted without having to return it or send it in :salute: I think I only have one newer tool ( my New Surge from 2017) and it didn't have many or any issue :salute: Sorry to hear about the QC not being up to snuff :facepalm:

Yeah thanks - I've have a couple of nights to sleep on it and I think I'm going to send it in for rework - I think it's only fair to give LM a chance to correct it.
I'm wondering whether the reason the 'plus' models aren't yet available from the German channels is due to tougher local QC standards *shrugs*

I had a chance to test out the bit driver today, putting up some flat-pack furni
Switching between flat-head and pozi is a dream  :D
If I can get past all the QC hiccups, I could see this being my favourite tool!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #135 on: March 03, 2018, 05:04:32 PM
Welcome  ;)  and sorry to hear you are disappointed.

the tool should wear and give with use,
but the loose tools are annoying and I've had that happen twice   :P

maybe (just a thought  ???) if you are not used to LM Diamond files the file might seem dull, especially compared to that of Victorinox, because at the touch is noticeably smoother and doesn't grab things or bite into them like Vic's, even though it's harder because of the diamond?  :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Reply #136 on: March 03, 2018, 05:40:49 PM
Welcome  ;)  and sorry to hear you are disappointed.

the tool should wear and give with use,
but the loose tools are annoying and I've had that happen twice   :P

maybe (just a thought  ???) if you are not used to LM Diamond files the file might seem dull, especially compared to that of Victorinox, because at the touch is noticeably smoother and doesn't grab things or bite into them like Vic's, even though it's harder because of the diamond?  :think:

Yeah, I was referring to the bite of the wood/metal side, not diamond coated (which seems very nice/fine)
I tried the wood/metal side today on an off-cut of wood and it works, but needs quite lot of pressure.
I guess it could just be Leathermans cutting profile that I'm not used to

The file isn't a deal-breaker, just a little disappointing on top of my other QC issues..

Thanks for the welcome  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #137 on: March 04, 2018, 11:38:49 PM
Perhaps compare your file with those on other Leathermans at your nearest store? Then you will know if you got a bad one or if it's just Leatherman's files you aren't used to.

Offline Pipboy

• New User
Reply #138 on: March 05, 2018, 03:47:25 AM

You can go to LINK REMOVED. Ships worldwide.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:13:36 AM by zoidberg »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #139 on: March 05, 2018, 09:19:27 AM
You can go to LINK REMOVED. Ships worldwide.

Don't post your shop details/info again. If you want to advertise, contact Grant and go from there.

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #140 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:01 PM
It's kind of a bummer to hear these QC issues. I was considering ordering a Wave+ as a slightly more pocket-friendly option for days where I don't have tons planned to warrant carrying my Surge. However, if there are issues with brand new tools like this, maybe I'll hold off. Maybe I'll just pick up a regular Wave instead.  :-\

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #141 on: March 06, 2018, 12:38:38 AM
I got my Wave+ today and I'm pleased to say I have no QC issues with my tool. Actually I don't normally have issues with Leatherman tools. Only one I have ever had with a problem is my OHT, teeth don't line up but it's ok. Still functions fine but seems to be a common issue with that specific tool.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #142 on: March 06, 2018, 01:36:05 AM
I got my Wave+ today and I'm pleased to say I have no QC issues with my tool. Actually I don't normally have issues with Leatherman tools. Only one I have ever had with a problem is my OHT, teeth don't line up but it's ok. Still functions fine but seems to be a common issue with that specific tool.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Glad you have good luck with yours! I just found a lightly used Wave on that big auction site for a great price. The plan is to play around with a few mods, so once I install Rebar pliers I’ll end up with a Wave+ after all  :D

Reply #143 on: March 14, 2018, 11:32:51 AM
Perhaps compare your file with those on other Leathermans at your nearest store? Then you will know if you got a bad one or if it's just Leatherman's files you aren't used to.

Yes, I did this, and checked out a non-plus Charge - in comparison mine felt marginally smoother than the one in the store, but yeah you're right, it seems my expectation of the amount of bite was off..

Reply #144 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:13 PM
My Charge+ just came back from its vacation in Solingen. After cleaning up the excess oil (which kinda smells of aniseed) I have given it a quick once-over and wanted to report back

Generally all tools are much easier to open, and before you continue reading the rest of this post, I want to clarify I am happy!  :cheers:

Pliers much smoother to open/close

Can opener & bit driver no longer flapping around and retaining nicely, but the screw (nearest the gap for the clip mount) is still loose ..is this inherent in the design, or could/should it be loctite'd?

Main blade  now deploys buttery smooth - even smoother than serrated blade, but (if I'm being critical) slight lateral play when open  :think:
What's disappointing (again, being critical) is the File behind the main blade now rubs against the scale when opening/closing.
Certainly no deal-breaker, but it grinds my gears (and scales!) to hear it..  :doh:
I'm wondering whether I should try bending it to create some clearance

File same as before, but as I said in the post above, it seems my expectations were off..
Like I say, nothing is a deal-breaker, I am, by and large, a happy Charge owner once again. It's really great tool-set  :multi:

If I compare it to my various Vic's (58's through 130's) and a PST from back in the day, the tolerances of the charge plus cannot be compared.
..but to quote Tony Soprano: "Whadd’ya gonna do?"  :shrug:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #145 on: March 14, 2018, 12:54:33 PM
Yes loctite anything that's loose.
Tighten screw to reduce blade play and possibly the file rub.
Don't try to bend the file, it will most likely snap.

Reply #146 on: March 14, 2018, 01:59:53 PM
Yes loctite anything that's loose.
Tighten screw to reduce blade play and possibly the file rub.
Don't try to bend the file, it will most likely snap.
Thanks for the quick feedback and tips Zoidberg - appreciated  :tu:

Do I need  the keys which Loki-mobile used to sell? (he's not responded to my DM and from another thread appears to no longer have them)
I read elsewhere that two sets of pliers also works. but I'm still a little cautious of stripping the coating on the Alu scales..

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #147 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:52 PM
I've used blunt nosed pliers before, others have gone with vampire pliers etc.
A bit of sellotape should protect the scales if you're worried.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #148 on: March 14, 2018, 02:09:38 PM
I think someone ground a groove in plier jaws to make dedicated pivot removing pliers.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #149 on: April 15, 2018, 03:41:10 PM
So, does anyone have a Wave or Charge Plus? Any thoughts on them?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%