Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maglite Flashlight Club

ca Offline buggs

Re: Maglite Flashlight Club
Reply #120 on: March 28, 2021, 08:12:59 AM
How do these LED Maglites compare to something like an Olight Baton or other similar light?

Dragging this out of the past, but what Maglite?  I have a few Maglites and more than a few Olights, including at least one iteration of Baton. 

Any love out there for Incandescent Maglites?  No question everything beyond incandescent is brighter (Xenon, LED, etc.) but my eyesight is kind of crappy and I've found that the brighter bulbs wash out things (like combination locks in the dark) and I benefit from a softer light.  I've actually been grabbing up a few smaller (1AAA, 2AA) incandescent Maglites while I still can. 

Don't get me wrong I have a few 3D big old Maglites and they throw so little light even compared to an Olight I5T but I still have soft spot for them. 

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 03, 2021, 09:01:07 PM
I had a couple incan Maglites recently and they were fine for around the house use.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #122 on: August 27, 2021, 07:42:06 PM
Any love out there for Incandescent Maglites?  No question everything beyond incandescent is brighter (Xenon, LED, etc.) but my eyesight is kind of crappy and I've found that the brighter bulbs wash out things (like combination locks in the dark) and I benefit from a softer light.  I've actually been grabbing up a few smaller (1AAA, 2AA) incandescent Maglites while I still can. 

Once I switched to LED I never looked back.  Not having to worry about needing batteries every twenty minutes is a really powerful argument for retro fitting.  The money I save on batteries alone has surely paid for the cost of conversion.

I can think of two possible options to have a LED Maglite and still not have it over glare what you are trying to work on. 

Option 1) Spend money and make your light more complicated.  The Nite Ize IQ switch works with the Mini Mag, it has variable output settings.  The lowest output might be what you are looking for.

Option 2) Get crafty and make it work.  You can make a diffuser lens out of a translucent colorless plastic, (possibly a bottle).  The diffuser lens can replace the factory clear lens or be used in conjunction with the lens holder that comes with the manufacturers accessory kit.  This option would work for any size Maglite.   

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #123 on: August 27, 2021, 08:21:29 PM
The one time I had trouble and required pliers to remove the tailcap was when the alkaline battery leaked; it corroded the cap, and part of the body but was still functional. A good scrub and clean with baking soda, a light smear of silicone grease everywhere, and a disposable lithium battery, and haven't had any problems ever since. I tend to smear silicone grease on threads and o-rings as a lube and improve somewhat the water resistance of my Mag's

Silicone grease is great for all sorts of things.   People who love WD40 haven't discovered Sil Glyde.
Baking soda neutralizes acid, but it doesn't remove corrosion.  Once all the acid has been removed, I attack any corroded parts with vinegar and cotton swabs.  Remember once the plating on metal has corroded away it's likely to corrode again.  To keep metal contacts from corroding due to condensation give them a light coat of silicone dielectric or white lithium grease, it conducts electricity, but doesn't allow in moisture.  Be careful to use you chemicals sparingly, there is nothing worse than a catastrophic short burning up something you just saved. 

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: August 28, 2021, 03:51:46 PM
I wouldn't use dielectric lube on active contacts as it behaves like an insulator. It doesn't conduct electricity  :hatsoff:

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #125 on: August 28, 2021, 09:29:05 PM
I wouldn't use dielectric lube on active contacts as it behaves like an insulator. It doesn't conduct electricity  :hatsoff:

You're right.   :oops:   I remember using dielectric grease on a soldered connection underneath shrink wrap tubing to prevent water getting in.  It doesn't matter if the grease is a extra layer of insulation if wires are soldered together. 
White lithium grease is what is used on the tail lights of boat trailers.  If it's going to go into the water the lithium grease will keep the water out and still have good connection.  like wise lithium grease can be use on trailer ball mounts to prevent rust, but maintain a good ground connection.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes McStichy.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #126 on: August 28, 2021, 11:20:44 PM
Great info SR  :tu:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: November 22, 2021, 03:16:25 AM
I got my first MagLite in the late 80's or early 90's. It is a 3 -D cell. Heavy and big. Still have it. Still works. Obviously it is incandescent. I have since purchased a number of mini Mags AA LED variety. And a couple Solitaire models for the Leatherman sheaths.

Unfortunately I find that as of recently, they are no longer available for purchase at Home Depot or Lowes. They are no longer a stock item! Will not be stocking them. I found out this week when I went to pick up some Solitaires to replace the ones I just lost.

So, now all the orange and the blue stores stock is "Coast", Energizer and some other Lux brand. All made in china. So it looks like 15 days on a boat, 35 days at port of LA for Chinese crap, and we still cant get American made flashlights from Cali anymore
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 03:26:26 AM by ThundahBeagle »

ca Offline Shock_me

Reply #128 on: April 20, 2023, 10:57:03 PM
I've had quite a few Maglites in the past, but this one was gifted to me back in the late 90's. It has a lot of sentimental value so I wanted to keep it in use even with today's LED offerings. I upgraded the bulb and reflector to LED with a kit from LITT Industries and it is a very capable little light now. I keep it in my Maxpedition Micro as a backup to my everyday Streamlight USB which I carry in my pocket.

Maglite.jpg
* Maglite.jpg (Filesize: 69.12 KB)

max.jpg
* max.jpg (Filesize: 84.24 KB)

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: April 22, 2023, 02:08:55 PM
Great way to keep a classic alive, nice kit too :like:

ca Offline Shock_me

Reply #130 on: April 22, 2023, 02:14:37 PM
Great way to keep a classic alive, nice kit too :like:

Thank you nakken! I actually use something from this kit every day. Usually the cable kit to charge my phone, or the Leatherman Micra for the scissors.

ca Offline buggs

Reply #131 on: May 27, 2023, 06:58:16 AM
Still like my Maglites.  A few I use regularly are the soft LED solitaire, a larger 2 AA version and my big old 3 D cell incandescent.  It pales in comparison to anything truly modern but I still like the heft which I think was 50% of the purpose anyway.  Very sturdy lights.  Not sure I'd use anything as a hammer, but I'd be happier hitting something with a maglite than anything else if I had to. 

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #132 on: December 15, 2023, 09:24:18 PM
Bumping this to let you guys know that Maglite is having a 40% off sale with coupon HOLIDAY40 applied at checkout.  Also free shipping via UPS SurePost/USPS.

www.maglite.com
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%