Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread

il Offline israelpiper

Re: Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread
Reply #660 on: December 21, 2019, 08:15:29 AM
After using the Free P4 all week...

Still awkward to open tools from some positions, but ok, possible. Not as intuitively useable and fluid as claimed, but ok. I don't sit around flipping MTs, so I may take a while, but ok.

I do question the ruler, which for me is a good quick way to measure for bolts and other smaller fasteners, and small depths. The whole world uses the metric system, which is shortchanged in this design with a partial ruler, and a useless diagram indicating the wire stripper. The English or Imperial measures dominate, yet only 4 or 5% of the world uses them. At least they should have given equal clarity to the metric measures. Even countries other than the US, of British origin, use and understand metric measure and often make tools and supplies and mechanical and engineering plans in metric. And besides, many engineers, mechanics, tool-users and scientific and technical professions in the US do know the metric system. Sloppy Leatherman! World sales are an ever-growing percentage of your market. Even tiny Israel in far-off Asia has a Leatherman warranty centre and representative (of sorts).  Perhaps few care for any tiny ruler, but I love the ability to measure small fasteners and shallow depths.

Too many flathead openers, which are too thin. I would have liked a beefier awl, and no can opener. I love the Victorinox can opener, but I use it as a mini-blade in small scale woodcraft. Very few cans need an opener anymore. And I almost never buy those. The file does work, but, for many It is too small. However, I would not give up the serrated knife. Most people so automatically say, "not a fan of serrated blades." I use it for boxes, card stock, rope and string, cloth etc. Keeps the straight blade sharp. A smaller serrated utility blade would have been ok, but with that chisel tip still. As with 99% of MT owners, I don't attend road accidents and have to extricate anyone from a jammed seat belt. If I prepared for contingencies beyond a reasonable point, I'd have to lug around a 40k rucksack, and never take off my aluminium headgear, or garlic necklace, in public.

Otherwise, I do like the P4. The grey belt sheath will get dirty quickly no doubt. Would have preferred black, but ok. Now is just to see how the tool wears over time, and to stay out of metal shops and ferrous particulate. Durability--only time and use will tell. Meanwhile LM moddies are no doubt gearing up to develop bit-driver adapters for the Free P4.  I have bit-drivers on my Waves, my Surge, my Skeletools, and maybe others. I wanted a stand-alone with no extra parts to carry with the Free P4--so no bit-driver doesn't chafe me. I like the tight, minimalist sheath, aside from the grey colour.

Overall, a B+ tool. Subject to future elevation or demotion. Some great engineering--if the P4 proves durable.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 08:25:45 AM by israelpiper »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #661 on: December 21, 2019, 02:57:40 PM
I have been wondering about these. Good review. Looking forward to your future thoughts on this one.  :cheers:  :popcorn:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #662 on: January 06, 2020, 08:31:26 PM
Been bothering me all week. Something did not feel right about the hand-feel and balance of the Free P4. Especially compared to the Wave. The P4 in plier position is wanting to slip dow and out of my grip. Opening and closing the plier head feels insecure and awkward. The Wave feels balanced,  and does not tend to slip. The Wave can be manipulated without losing position in my hand.

I could just squeeze harder when  using the P4. An answer if sorts. It contrasts with the balanced hand-feel of the Wave. Perhaps I will get used to the differences,  I don't know.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #663 on: January 30, 2020, 09:47:30 PM
 :whistle:

0302020184651.jpg
* 0302020184651.jpg (Filesize: 288.99 KB)
030202018472.jpg
* 030202018472.jpg (Filesize: 324.02 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #665 on: January 30, 2020, 11:03:23 PM
Been bothering me all week. Something did not feel right about the hand-feel and balance of the Free P4. Especially compared to the Wave. The P4 in plier position is wanting to slip dow and out of my grip. Opening and closing the plier head feels insecure and awkward. The Wave feels balanced,  and does not tend to slip. The Wave can be manipulated without losing position in my hand.

I could just squeeze harder when  using the P4. An answer if sorts. It contrasts with the balanced hand-feel of the Wave. Perhaps I will get used to the differences,  I don't know.
:iagree:
Handles are too long so the ends don’t rest in the back of the palm like the Wave without wanting to  fall fwd, and too many hot spots at the ends. While I appreciate the technology put into Free, my P2 does not get carried.  :facepalm:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline tbateman

• New User
Reply #666 on: February 02, 2020, 04:27:51 AM
What is the general consensus regarding the serrated blade tip shape on the P4?    ???

I understand LM designed it that way so the blade would be locked into the handles when the pliers are used, but does the chisel tip shape serve any practical purpose otherwise?   I'm not really liking it.  I'm on the fence about just grinding an angled sheep's foot profile on the end of the blade to make it more useful. The spring tension on the lock release seems to keep the blade in place enough by itself for me.

Hi, You can punch through things like drywall with the chisel end serrated blade (even twist it like an awl through plywood) and then go in with the saw to continue cutting. The serrated blade and saw have almost the exact same profile.

One of my favorite things about the Free series is how quickly I can close the blades with one hand.  I have 4 kids running around always wanting to help.  It's nice to be able to put the blade away quickly.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:42:53 AM by tbateman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #667 on: February 02, 2020, 05:20:07 AM
Welcome to :MTO: tbateman :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #668 on: March 10, 2020, 08:52:33 PM
My Free P2 is going back. Pliers binding https://youtu.be/NFsneeJLltc  :cry:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #669 on: March 10, 2020, 10:50:29 PM
That is just smurfing  :rant:
Especially for the price that they are :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #670 on: March 11, 2020, 03:24:09 AM
 :iagree: :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #671 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:22 AM
Glad to hear it's going back, Max. Customers should not be expected to have to correct these issues themselves.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #672 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #673 on: March 11, 2020, 02:15:02 PM
There is a lot of problems out there with the pliers, I dont understand why Leatherman keeps sending out those tools all over the world:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84134.0.html 

Enjoy!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #674 on: March 12, 2020, 11:49:28 AM
There is a lot of problems out there with the pliers, I dont understand why Leatherman keeps sending out those tools all over the world:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84134.0.html 

I think if you live in US and don't mind to the hassle of keep on sending it back, P2/P4 may worth a try.  But for those users living overseas, local dealers may or may not exchange a new one for you, and utilizing that warranty may mean weeks, if not months without a tool.  :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #675 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:39 PM
Leaning on the warranty is not a good look for LM especially with this tool in particular.  All those engineers scrambling to put out this tool seem to miss a vital step in the process. 

The cost will add up since it maybe that each tool received under warranty will have same issues unless they address the problem  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #676 on: April 09, 2020, 04:23:47 AM
@ Dutch_Tooler, is that the standard tool adapter or the universal?

Look like you also have the large bit adapter from ZapWizard installed. Very cool!

Offline flashpoint

• New User
Reply #677 on: May 16, 2020, 09:11:16 PM
Hi,

I m David froma Barcelona/Spain.

I got a wave  and a Surge. There are a lot of reviews and threats around forums saying Victorinox Spirit and Swistool are heaven. At the end I believe it and buy one.

I bought a Free P4 , new series. P4 has out of the box clip and some better features.

Let me insert a review. I should apologize myself  for my english.

After testing Vic Spirit / Leatherman Wave and Surge. P4 comes with another air. I choose  Surge, this is the way. It is more robust and everything it carries works, is in place and is strong. But it weighs a lot. The Wave is almost identical, but smaller. For my hand, when squeezing the pliers, it stucks , because the handle is not chamfered, edges come out ... great failure. With Surge it does not happen. The Spirit is the best made and is compact and useful. But removing the tools with your fingernails, in a hurry, or with one hand ... Inviable. I returned it. It s for romantics who will use it without haste.    FREE P4 arrives: It's all at one hand.  Let me explain better . You has the serrated eyelet and the scissors at left hand position.  P4 sizes perfect , weighs 95gr less than the Surge and does not bother to carry it. Everything is pulled out from the outside with one hand and you can ge them fast. The unlock method is even better. 1) On one side it mounts two thick and consistent tools, a Phillips and a flat with a sharp side, "package opener"; if they had imitated 95% what Spirit carries, it would have been a success. It doesn't quite cut well ... For those who say that the FREE series internal tools are flimsy, look at THE FIFTH AND SIXTH PHOTOS  P4 has thicher tools. These two are the ones that seem well done and well thought out to me. 2) On the other side, it carries a corkscrew:) (is it horrible, does anyone use it in 2020? They have not the thickness and hardness that we know in other models. GREAT FAILURE. It would be much better if they had put less tools and would be better done. As on the other side. 3) The 4 main blades are better than the Wave. Better knife, similar saw, better scissors and serrated blade : The SURGE vs FREE P4 pliers , TWO LAST PHOTOS, are seen to be larger in the Surge, of course. But the cutting surface of the P4 is ALL usable. The Surge, the tip curves a lot, there is no continuity. When you use it with precision you skip that area, because you don't have enough control. It doesn't know where on the curve you are cutting. The angle is very clear with the P4, because it is very linear. The serrated blade will cut the same as with the large one. I have found no difference. Cutting thick cloth or rope with them does not change anything. There are no 9cm diameter ropes that I bump into ... PHOTO 2, IMPORTANT POINT, I have seen comparisons that showed images that the Wave and Surge gave a lot of shank in the opening and angle of the pliers. WHAT HAPPENED? my unit has a built-in clip as standard. It is the improved version of last year's. Basically they polish the failures of the first batch ... it happens with everything, but it is not said. The US forums complained a lot that if you tightened the pliers when cutting something thick, for example. Then the mechanism lost its finesse. Well, in this version it is already fixed. The photo shows that they have done something with the pliers AND HAVE ALREADY IMPROVED THEM IN EVERYTHING, opening included. For me it is the perfect piece. . The advantage of the magnet closure, it really likes it, it works very well. And you save having to open the part to access the tools. The one who shuffled the supplies inside was wrong. Many loyal brand users are furious. And they won't come out of Surge or Chargge TTI. The Surge is very heavy, it is to be used at work and left there. Almost all of us have the set of tips, which of course, we are going to carry together, more weight ... The P4 is to be carried on top. Innovation is valued and the main 4 sheets are fine. And the 2 tools of good thickness on one side, too. The 4 of the other no. I bought it because it was € 125, if it had not happened. Do I advise her? for those who have a cult of the tool or fans of the brand. It can always be carried and does not bother and can do 80% of the things that a Surge is not bad. In addition, now it has a series clip and they have solved the error of closing the pliers with force. The truth is that with one I would have enough, I couldn't help but keep both of them. Cheers

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #678 on: May 17, 2020, 01:47:58 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  flashpoint :cheers: Great writeup and  :iagree: about the SURGE!!! Being a beast, I have never had a problem with my Wave as you noted though :think:I never can get along with my Spirit either.... but not having experience with the Free P2 or 4 I can't comment on those  :dunno:

Also, I am not seeing any pics that you are referring to :think:

Offline flashpoint

• New User
Reply #679 on: May 17, 2020, 11:01:14 AM
I m in debt. Here you are photos. I wasn t able to find them yesterday.

* 20200515_171159_opt.jpg (Filesize: 34.55 KB)

* 20200515_171923_opt.jpg (Filesize: 33.49 KB)

* 20200515_171405_opt.jpg (Filesize: 24.5 KB)

* 20200515_170843_opt.jpg (Filesize: 42.12 KB)

Offline flashpoint

• New User
Reply #680 on: May 17, 2020, 11:02:42 AM
Here you can see Phillips screwdriver and flat one are thicker than Surge

* 20200515_171844_opt.jpg (Filesize: 34.64 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #681 on: May 17, 2020, 03:56:02 PM
Great pics for comparison  :cheers: but that last one is the 2 blades instead of the screwdrivers  :D Either way thanks for the pics  :tu: :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #682 on: May 18, 2020, 09:19:19 PM
@ Dutch_Tooler, is that the standard tool adapter or the universal?

Look like you also have the large bit adapter from ZapWizard installed. Very cool!

Oops, only saw this just now. That is the universal one.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline brab

• Knife freak since childhood.
Reply #683 on: May 27, 2020, 01:07:05 AM

I have had my P4 for a couple of months now and I am impressed with the overall quality of the tool. It is a precision mechanism but from a functional standpoint, my personal preferences deviate somewhat from the tool as it is currently designed.

Before I purchased the P4, my EDC was the Leatherman Charge Titanium and I am still torn, whether to carry the P4 or the Charge. One thing about the Charge is that both the regular knife blade and serrated blade are diagonally opposite one another and both blades have an increased blade height, that is from the cutting edges to the back side of the blade, at the thumb aperture, which enables access so that the thumb conveniently and naturally slips against it making the one hand opening easily accomplished and the 180 degree opposition means you simply rotate the tool in your hand 180 degrees to access either blade.

Leatherman didn't similarly position the blades on the P4 and the serrated blade does not have the increased height to the thumb aperture. The first thing I did was to reposition the serrated blade diagonally opposite the regular blade but because it does not have the increased blade height and thumb aperture position, the serrated blade is not as easy to open with one hand. So I would suggest to Leatherman that they position the blades diagonally opposite one another and increase the height of the serrated blade for easier access to the thumb aperture for easier one handed opening. In a heads up to ZapWizard, I ordered 4 of his 3d printed, one hand thumb assist inserts. They engage the thump apertures and though not really required on the main blade, one such insert is extremely useful for one handed opening of the serrated blade. 

Two other suggestions I have are that the omission of the bit holder was a mistake. You are limited to one size of Phillips screwdriver and so smaller Phillips screws are outside the reach of the P4 also other bits such as Torx and Allen are extremely useful. Also, the very small screwdriver tool was omitted, which accommodates a flat head and Phillips screwdriver at the opposite end, useful for work on eyeglasses and other very small screws. This very small screwdriver is also useful for clearing small orifices in nozzles or other such openings.

See pics.
IMG_20200526_152013.jpg
* IMG_20200526_152013.jpg (Filesize: 162.33 KB)
IMG_20200526_152224.jpg
* IMG_20200526_152224.jpg (Filesize: 220.14 KB)
IMG_20200526_185628.jpg
* IMG_20200526_185628.jpg (Filesize: 184.13 KB)
WHB Sr

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #684 on: June 07, 2020, 11:10:24 AM
I forget, does the Removable Bit Driver work on a P2/P4?  :think:

england Offline Rocket surgery

Reply #685 on: June 11, 2020, 12:59:59 PM
I forget, does the Removable Bit Driver work on a P2/P4?  :think:

From what I have seen you need one of the old universal adapters (which one I can't tell you  :dunno: ), or a 1/4 socket over the Philips and flat/package opener. If you go the second route then the edge of your package opener will get ruined mighty quick.
If your not against modding your tool the Zappwizard has released a flat bit holder on shapways. It takes the place of the Philips and flat (or others if your willing to do some tool switching). I'm waiting for one as we speak, along with the T-shank adapter :mail:
When I inevitably pass away, please ask my partner not to sell my EDC stuff for what I told her I paid.

us Offline FreeToCharge

• Live to Make
Reply #686 on: July 15, 2020, 11:54:11 PM
Hey all, still pretty new here and thought I would revive this thread since I'm also a new Free P4 owner. I have honestly loved this tool the last couple weeks with it. It has come in handy quite a few times, especially the one hand opening ability. I feel this tool has gotten a fair amount of undue negativity. I will say it isn't a wave since it doesn't have the file, and bit exchanger which is why I also have the Charge + tti. I also don't think it should have been marketed as better than the wave. It should have just been marketed as a new tool with new technology, in a new category. And if you see it from that view. This thing is a solid piece of tool. Everything is super sturdy and well built, albeit the file is a bit small and "ruler" is a bit laughable, though for most uses when you need a quick to grab tool for prying, grabbing with pliers, cutting, or even screwing in some general stuff, it works fantastic. Nothing is perfect but I love what the P4 does and how it feels to use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #687 on: July 16, 2020, 05:36:59 AM
The Free P4 is my favorite multitool.  I enjoy using it, chiefly due to its ease of deployment.  My P4 pliers don't have the problem that some other have reported and I am sympathetic with those owners who expected better QC.  However, I think much of the other criticism about the P4 is undeserved.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #688 on: July 16, 2020, 03:10:26 PM
Wow. After reading this whole thread, I am sort of happy I haven't bought a P4 yet. Trying to justify the almost $200 dollar Canadian price tag...and this thread did that concept no good.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline FreeToCharge

• Live to Make
Reply #689 on: July 17, 2020, 05:22:07 AM
Wow. After reading this whole thread, I am sort of happy I haven't bought a P4 yet. Trying to justify the almost $200 dollar Canadian price tag...and this thread did that concept no good.
With the price being $200 Canadian I can't blame you but I would still think about it if you can get it for less since it really is a great tool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD