Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods

ZapWizard · 511 · 119776

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
Reply #360 on: June 17, 2020, 02:57:33 PM
Great work on your mod, Slygrin :like:

:nanadance:        :nanadance:

00 Offline Slygrin

Looking for opinions....
Reply #361 on: June 18, 2020, 02:39:00 AM
Installed the t-shank holder, see post above. I have a Surge, so I bought a new file and saw blades from Leatherman to use with the P4. I shortened the file and it will be the blade I use the most. I started looking at the saw blade and I can't make up my mind if I should shorten it or not. If I shorten it, it will not matter which one I have in the tool. If i leave the saw at the original length, it will have the advantage of having more cutting length, but I will not be able  to close it. I would have to put the file back in to close it. Oh, the dilemma.... So, what would you do? Don't mind the cat hair in the picture....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #362 on: June 18, 2020, 03:17:26 AM
I would leave the saw as long as possible if it were me :salute: How much are we talking about shortening it BTW :think: The file would still be just as functional if it were a bit shorter but a saw on a MT is already a bit short so making it even shorter is never good :ahhh I think the OHT has a saw that is too short, it is functional but just barely :D

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #363 on: June 19, 2020, 02:22:05 AM
I've decide to leave the saw blade alone. Another bonus is I can use the same blade with my Surge and only carry one. One thing I would recommend with the bit holder and t-shank holder. Sand and smooth out the back end of the bit. When deploying, I notice a little roughness. I don't find it a big enough issue to take it apart to fix, but I'll do it the next time I take it apart.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #364 on: June 19, 2020, 08:30:50 AM

The T-Shank holder is done!
The produce page is live (store link in my signature)

Coming up: A collaboration with fellow Multitool.org member Metropolicity
I shared my Leatherman FREE CAD T-Shank CAD data with him in exchange for his CAD file for his Leatherman Charge Scalpel holder
So now I can get cracking on a making one for the FREE series.

Wow.  :tu: :tu: :drool: :woohoo: :woohoo:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #365 on: June 19, 2020, 06:17:30 PM
 :gimme:, part 2 :D
519202018747.jpg
* 519202018747.jpg (Filesize: 387.73 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #366 on: June 20, 2020, 03:03:54 PM
Small Free P4 based tool kit using some of ZapWizard's mods and accessories. The kit brings the versatility of some older Leatherman offerings to the Free series, and there is space for one or two Victorinox additions  ;)
52020201529.jpg
* 52020201529.jpg (Filesize: 426.41 KB)
52020201521.jpg
* 52020201521.jpg (Filesize: 395.52 KB)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:13:21 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #367 on: June 20, 2020, 04:41:39 PM
Amazing tool kit.

FYI, I am thinking about making a tweezer holder that replaces the pliers side spacer near the scissors. (Nylon piece with a small cutout really).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #368 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:23 PM
That all looks great, DT :o 8) Great pics and bit of kit :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #369 on: June 20, 2020, 07:09:20 PM
Thanks guys  :D
Good news on the tweezers holder Zap, looking forward to that :tu:
I discovered I need to make a small notch in the file to allow the plier head tooth to engage the handle  :whistle:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #370 on: June 20, 2020, 07:38:17 PM

Metropolicity sent me the CAD file for his Leatherman Charge Scalpel holder.

I will defiantly use it for inspiration and dimensional reference, but as it my style I will do my own design from scratch. He has lots of nice details in there though, such as a bump the bends the blade, to cause angled force holding it in place.
He also sent me four different large scalpel blades. For each one: I took a detailed macro photo and created a precise 3D model of each blade.

-----

A Havalon #60A Blade (0.62mm thick)

A Wiebe Knives Replacement Blade (0.5mm Thick)

A #22 Scalpel Blade (0.4mm thick)

A  Swann Morton #26 Scalpel Blade (0.4mm thick)

I have also ordered some Havalon #60XT (Extra Thin) blades, and some #4 and #3 blade handles from Swann Morton to use as reference. (Since they invented these things)

----

I will get started on a 3D design for the FREE series using what I have now though. The plan is to make something that allows for the largest number of different blades, while only replacing either the main or serrated blades which are 0.1" (2.54mm) thick.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #371 on: June 20, 2020, 08:12:59 PM
So Shapeways has been saying they would be listing my more popular products on their small Amazon.com store for over a year now. Something I was going to do myself at one point. I even went as far as buying up a set of UPC codes. But then I realized that folks wouldn't be able to customize, I would have to purchase inventory, and Amazon would be taking a large cut.

However, today I noticed my first Amazon.com order come in. So I checked and they finally listed one of my items! Thumb tabs for the FREE P4.
Item number: B087QRZ6VN and B087QS9GGS

I have mixed feeling on this.
They are listing them for $29.66 + Free shipping. Standard shipping is $8.99 in the U.S. for Shapeways, so Amazon is taking a $5.67 fee, which actually sounds about right from my research.
But they listed it with just two one colors: Pink and White. These some of the most unpopular colors I sell. And you can't even find the pink except by the related listing to the white.
The white color get dingy faster than a pair of sneakers, so I hope anyone ordering from Amazon will take the time to use some alcohol markers (or a sharpie) to dye the tabs.

Initially they said the listing on Amazon would be a copy of what is on the Shapeways store, however it is just a cropped copy/paste with no formatting.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #372 on: June 20, 2020, 09:21:45 PM
Re Scalpel Holder: looks nice, looking forward to the design. Not sure I'll get it but I understand there is some demand for one :D
 :like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #373 on: June 20, 2020, 10:26:06 PM

How is this for one day of design.
I kept most of Metropolicity's profile for the actual blade grip, and then built around it.
It has a built-in thumb-tab, and because the blade is on the inside, it should help keep you thumb away from the blade while deploying.

That said, I am going to only recommend either the 60A blade from Havalon, or the Wiebe Blades be used. This is because these are the only blades long enough to ensure the blade stays docked when using the pliers.
I will offer it in a mirrored version for replacing the serrated blade instead of the main blade.

For now, I will sit on the design until my handles arrive.

Offline Time22

Reply #374 on: June 21, 2020, 12:57:09 AM
Small Free P4 based tool kit using some of ZapWizard's mods and accessories. The kit brings the versatility of some older Leatherman offerings to the Free series, and there is space for one or two Victorinox additions  ;)

:hatsoff: DT & ZapWizard

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #375 on: June 21, 2020, 04:35:54 PM
Coming soon...
The Leatherman FREE P4, Klingon Edition

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #376 on: June 21, 2020, 05:14:54 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:

Hmm... the mirrored holder that goes where the serrated blade usually sits might be something to consider  :think:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #377 on: June 21, 2020, 05:16:48 PM
Coming soon...
The Leatherman FREE P4, Klingon Edition

(Image removed from quote.)

STOP IT. I'm going broke and I'm tired of taking my P4 apart!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #378 on: June 22, 2020, 03:26:14 AM
What’s a P4, it’s Zaptool 101
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #379 on: June 22, 2020, 11:28:37 AM
Those look great, Zap 8) :like:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #380 on: June 25, 2020, 01:17:24 AM

So my #4 scalpel handle came in. I photographed and 3D modeled it in great detail.
I learned a few things that I may integrate into my holder.

#1, The actual scalpel grip is just a simple set of slits, and doesn't have any feature that follows the middle area of the cutout. As best I can measure, the middle wider cutout is only to allow the blade to slide on easier, the position of the middle cutout doesn't actually equate to any sort of stop. Instead, it is where the blade is designed to start bending.
#2 The blade bend at the handle. I knew this already, but this handle uses a simple angled ramp to achieve this, I will emulate this, as I realized the bump idea allows the blade to tilt left/right on the bump.
#3 The angled back edge of the blade is actually quite important, it is the primary stop to allow you to exert pressure on the blade. i will have to keep this area with a tight tolerance to the blade.

About tolerances. These things seem to be designed with zero or nearly zero tolerances. For example, the small end of the cutout in the blades measure 2.00mm. And that is also the exact width (as best i can determine) of the middle support in the handle.
The length of the cutouts in the blade is 24.24mm, the length of the oblong receiver on the handle is just 24.15mm, leaving just 0.11mm of gap for the blade. Finally the regular blades are 0.40mm thick, and the slot is just 0.50mm wide. This means this handle can't even hold the 0.5mm blades unless you want to jam them on just once.

Since my part is sintered and shrinks a bit, I have to oversize carefully. (As Metropolicity already did in his design). Just do a few design tweaks and I can get to prototyping.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #381 on: June 25, 2020, 03:21:53 AM

(Not a photograph! :twak:)

Also, the prototypes have been ordered.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:02:02 AM by ZapWizard »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #382 on: June 25, 2020, 03:28:07 AM
Great job, Zap :like: They look really great :dd: :drool:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #383 on: June 25, 2020, 04:02:36 AM
 :iagree: :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #384 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:00 PM
 :imws: :imws:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline Time22

Reply #385 on: June 26, 2020, 11:25:13 PM
 :hatsoff:

(Image removed from quote.)
(Not a photograph! :twak:)

Also, the prototypes have been ordered.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #386 on: June 27, 2020, 01:32:55 PM
Thanks guys  :D
Good news on the tweezers holder Zap, looking forward to that :tu:
I discovered I need to make a small notch in the file to allow the plier head tooth to engage the handle  :whistle:

Notch made in the file and in the saw blade (where the screw threads point) now allows the pliers to engage the handles properly with tool stored.
5272020132921.jpg
* 5272020132921.jpg (Filesize: 431.56 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #387 on: June 28, 2020, 02:40:40 PM
Great job on that,  DT :tu: :like:

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #388 on: July 09, 2020, 11:34:36 PM
Notch made in the file and in the saw blade (where the screw threads point) now allows the pliers to engage the handles properly with tool stored.

I didn't need the notch for my setup. I'm thinking I shortened the file a little more, past where your notch is.

us Offline brab

• Knife freak since childhood.
Reply #389 on: July 10, 2020, 01:11:20 AM
I bought 4 of the one handed opening assist parts. I installed one into each of the knife blades. They fit well but would not stay in. A simple solution for me was to fill the back side with white epoxy and they haven't come loose since. A very ergonomic addition to my P4. Am probably going to buy the bit driver very soon. Thanks Zap!
WHB Sr

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD