Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll: How many SAK do you own?

Poll

How many SAK do you own?

<5 (pragmatic)
10 (7.3%)
5 - 10 (undecided)
15 (10.9%)
10 - 20 (losing your grip)
29 (21.2%)
20 - 44 (letting go)
22 (16.1%)
> 44 (firmly down the rabbit hole)
29 (21.2%)
> 100 (serious collector or certifiably nuts)
27 (19.7%)
> 600 (what on earth is wrong with you?)
5 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 134

ru Offline Nick4

Re: Poll: How many SAK do you own?
Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 11:48:07 PM
Voted.  :salute:
Only a few (< 600).

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 12:16:08 AM
Voted.  33 total with 11 of those being Swisstools.  No telling how many SwissTools I have given away.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 03:40:39 AM
I have right about 50 most of the time. I've given them to nephews, nieces and grandchildren to down size the collection, then buy more. If I buy one and find it's not for me, I give it away.  I tend to have multiple of ones I use a lot, ( 6 Climbers, 4 Hikers, 6 Spartans etc). You can never have too many spares! :dunno:
Perception is reality

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 06:45:36 PM
I'm on the low end with 15 of them

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

es Offline koke

Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 12:43:24 AM
Voted :tu: :salute:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 02:02:30 AM
Let's see; three in the metal box I store all my boxed/carded folders in (two Caddy Compacts and a Bantam); a SwissTool and a 1942 Soldier in sheaths in the sheathed MT drawer; and counting both another SwissTool (damaged; Vic gave me the one as a user as a warranty return) and a small, one-bladed Wenger "Peanut", about 45 in the Plano boxes, and about 5 laying out (an Outrider, Director, Pocket Pal, Bantam, and a Wenger MicroLight Esquire) that I often use. So, about 55, not counting the additional six Caddy Compacts I'm giving to some friends of mine that are currently in transit.

I thought I had 40, and voted accordingly. I'm actually squarely in the "down the rabbit hole" category. Or as my folks say, nuts.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 04:52:16 AM
1 for me- Spirit. Mrs. TJ has two- Classic and Super Tinker.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 12:59:08 PM
Voted at less than 5 currently but have owned considerably more in my lifetime and probably will own more now that I have the restoration bug!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 01:32:25 PM
Voted.  71 Saks; not counting Sak-alikes. How do I treat this addiction?
Rich
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:06:28 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #39 on: May 09, 2020, 02:11:38 PM
25, I think.

Or according to Mrs Cakemonster, too many....

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 02:12:00 PM
Firmly down the rabbit hole, and falling further as time goes by......

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 02:43:59 PM
14 here so far.. :drink: And got my eye on a few more!! :whistle:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

Offline Furbles

Reply #42 on: May 12, 2020, 06:00:39 PM
I have 11 SAKs at the moment. Here’s a photo. A special prize for anyone who can name them all!

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 12, 2020, 08:54:10 PM
Voted. Why only such small quantities in the poll?
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #44 on: May 12, 2020, 11:00:22 PM
I have 11 SAKs at the moment. Here’s a photo. A special prize for anyone who can name them all!
First three are Champion, Handyman and Climber   :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #45 on: May 14, 2020, 09:20:59 AM
Only a few compared to some,  showing my quest to find the knife that's just right for me . Classic,Bantam , recruit, Spartan x 2, tinker , Pioneer,  centurion,  florist .
Generally only carry 2, the Pioneer for work and the black personalised Spartan for formal occasions .
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #46 on: May 14, 2020, 10:13:25 AM
I went in at the "20 - 44" slot.

Despite being a lifelong collector (since the 1970s) and also inheriting a few from older relatives, the actual number is somewhere around 25 or so - some of you guys put me to shame!

I constantly re-evaluate my pocket knives and my EDC in general - I'm always changing something around. One of the things I change my mind on quite often is which SAKs go in my "immediate EDC" box, by which I mean the small set of knives and pry bars that I make my daily choice from.

I'm going to get this wrong, as I'm not near the box as I type, but I think the contents are something like: Hunter, Helmsman, SwissChamp, CyberTool 34, Ranger, Fisherman, Sportsman, Farmer, Pioneer, Cadet, MiniChamp and Rambler.

The remainder are in the main knife box with all the fixed blades, traditionals and so on.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 10:21:15 AM
Currently 10, but that just sort of happened along the way, since joining here (and okay binge watching the original MacGuyver again) I've been carrying my SAKs a lot more and want to pick up some custom ones (at the very least custom scales) and some models I've never used or played with before (like the Cybertool).  :climber:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 22, 2023, 09:57:04 AM
Fellow knights,

I just enjoyed reading the revived IAK thread and thought it might be interesting to revisit thls vote. It's one of my earliest posts on this forum, shortly after I became a member after having lurked around in the shadows for a while.

In early 2019, I suddenly got hit hard by the SAK bug after having used Vics for decades without ever owning more than two or three at a time.

When I opened this thread in the autumn of 2019, I counted my stock and voted myself in the "20-44" category. Realising how many SAKs I had amassed in just about half a year, I was afraid I had become a bit of a nutter, especially since I didn't have any collection goal. Imagine my relief when I found out in the course of the poll that at least amongst the dwellers of this forum, I belonged to the saner part of the population :rofl:

Fast forward four years and I thought it would be interesting to give members who didn't participate back then a chance to vote.

As to those members who already voted back then and read this, you might want to let us know if you changed categories in the meantime (and why, if there is a particular reason).

Speaking for myself, I would have to vote myself into the ">100" category now. I am still not a collector as I am generally unwilling to pay the high prices vintage SAKs fetch these days, but thanks to Max Stone's exciting journey down the 91 mm road (very good thread, highly recommended!) I at least found a method to my madness: I patiently hunted down, at interesting prices, all the SAKs Max wrote about in his journey (alas, Vic discontinued some of them in the meantime).

This put my hunting instincts to rest and assuaged my insatiable hunger for SAKs (for the most part). Also, I got to try every (then) current 91mm SAK and found my favorite EDCs - which, unexpectedly, turned out to be the CT34, the Huntsman Lite and the Traveller Lite. I doubt I would have ever acquired the latter two "on my own initiative".

Today, I am still picking up the odd SAK here and there when I find an interesting opportunity or are tempted by this forum, but all in all, I am rather at ease now and content with the (way too many) SAKs I have.

Edit: Regarding the categories, from my own experience in the last four years, I believe that after adding the ">600" category shortly after starting the poll, they are ok "as is". I for one believe that once you pass certain thresholds, the exact number of SAKs you have doesn't really matter anymore. Taking me as an example, I didn't even count just now when I put myself in the ">100" box because I know that I own more than 100 SAKs by now but that I am very very very far away from 600 (and confident I will never get there). So the exact number doesn't really matter to assess what kind of "SAK person" I believe to be: I am neither an ardent collector nor obsessed by them, but I am not to be trusted around them either. Certifiably nuts.

I could imagine the members who are in the ">600" category also have a certain perception of themselves which might be independent of the actual, exact number of SAKs they own. But this is just speculation, of course - please feel free to comment yourselves and give us mere mortals an insight how it feels to reside in SAK Olymp:-) in particular, do we need something of a ">20k" category or such like :rofl:

Cheers,

Simon
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 10:48:50 AM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #49 on: August 22, 2023, 10:51:16 AM
I hover right around 100, but that's the result of about 15 years of collecting.  Things were certainly different 15 years ago--lower prices and demand made it much easier to find what you wanted.  The majority of my collection was acquired in the first 5 years.  I'm getting closer and closer to that point where I sell off the items I don't use or have a sizeable affinity for.

My collection was spawned by a TSA seizure of my EDC knife--a Tourist--which lead me to replace it with a Cadet II and to SOSAK.  SOSAK led to MTO and a small collection of plier-based tools, and then to traditional slipjoint pocket knives and some modern folders.  I'm more likely now to pick up a "new" traditional knife or folder than a SAK or multi, but I will still buy one of interest on occasion if the price is good enough.
- Terry

us Offline IMR4198

Reply #50 on: August 22, 2023, 10:58:52 AM
      I agree it would be interesting to see how the various members who are still here have progressed.  Or have been dragged down farther into the well of despair, depending on which point of view you have.  Or that of the frustrated family.
      I don't really collect anything.  Study about them.  Specialize.  Appreciate certain types.  None of that.  I just pick things up.  I see a good deal, that's a good enough excuse.  I play with them.  Piddle with them a little.  Carry a few.  Use a couple of them regularly.  I am more of a user, with a proclivity to procure opportunistically. 
      I like the idea of your thread.  It should be fun to have members take part in it again.  Best wishes from Leslie Charteris and SAK fans everywhere.  Gary

au Offline Echotech

Reply #51 on: August 22, 2023, 11:03:21 AM
 :like:

Im also in the >100 club, at a guess 200+ but stopped counting a year or so ago  :whistle:

I’ve a few collections, cadets (about a dozen), yearly LE PX’s and Soldiers (35 or more) plus a good selection of Wengers and 111’s, plus plenty of 84’s, 91’s and 93’s…..I also wanted at least one in every size issued so 65’s, 74’s, 85’s, 58’s, 100’s, 120’s  etc….think I’ve every size except a Wenger Profi although there’d be some odd vintage sizes missing for sure

The soldiers are my real love and have been trying for one of each variant starting with mod 1908’s, which include P varieties and civilian issues. Mod 61’s make up the bulk and managed to get a Black Beauty this year  :woohoo: which was a real holy grail

Some I’ve paid good money for but mostly they’ve been pretty reasonable priced, mainly sourced from eBay, although prices do seem to have gone up in the last few years

The thing I really like about collecting SAKs is they’re really quite cheap for what you get. I used to collect vintage synthesizers and they’re in another league price wise. My whole collection would be way cheaper than what some of my friends have spent on posh dinners in the last few years or a single cheap motorcycle or boat so reckon its well worth it

Good thread to revive Simon  :cheers:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #52 on: August 22, 2023, 11:06:48 AM

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 22, 2023, 11:37:31 AM

I don't really collect anything.  Study about them.  Specialize.  Appreciate certain types.  None of that.  I just pick things up.  I see a good deal, that's a good enough excuse.  I play with them.  Piddle with them a little.  Carry a few.  Use a couple of them regularly.  I am more of a user, with a proclivity to procure opportunistically. 

I can very much relate to that, mate!  :cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 22, 2023, 11:52:47 AM
:like:

Im also in the >100 club, at a guess 200+ but stopped counting a year or so ago  :whistle:

I’ve a few collections, cadets (about a dozen), yearly LE PX’s and Soldiers (35 or more) plus a good selection of Wengers and 111’s, plus plenty of 84’s, 91’s and 93’s…..I also wanted at least one in every size issued so 65’s, 74’s, 85’s, 58’s, 100’s, 120’s  etc….think I’ve every size except a Wenger Profi although there’d be some odd vintage sizes missing for sure

The soldiers are my real love and have been trying for one of each variant starting with mod 1908’s, which include P varieties and civilian issues. Mod 61’s make up the bulk and managed to get a Black Beauty this year  :woohoo: which was a real holy grail

Some I’ve paid good money for but mostly they’ve been pretty reasonable priced, mainly sourced from eBay, although prices do seem to have gone up in the last few years

The thing I really like about collecting SAKs is they’re really quite cheap for what you get. I used to collect vintage synthesizers and they’re in another league price wise. My whole collection would be way cheaper than what some of my friends have spent on posh dinners in the last few years or a single cheap motorcycle or boat so reckon its well worth it

Good thread to revive Simon  :cheers:

I had read about your black beauty acquisition in the "new SAks" thread, great score!

A part of me envies you for your complete collection of Soldiers, but then an even bigger part of me thinks back to the (admittedly overpriced) birth year soldiers I bought a few months back and how it still bogs me a bit how much I paid for them. Like Gary, I am more of the opportunistic type - I like picking up nice SAKs, but I don't care much about which ones as long as I like them and the price is right. This way I even picked up a 1897 replica the other day, one SAK which I never intended to own but am very fond of now that I have it.

The only exception are the yearly LE PX, which I collect no matter the color (I hate this year's, btw). But even here I usually wait a bit in the hope for a good deal before I strike.

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #55 on: August 22, 2023, 02:02:39 PM
I guess I'm on the low end of SAK collectors, only about 60 SAKs ( Vic and Wenger) in my little collection.(But always looking to add more).
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #56 on: August 22, 2023, 02:57:18 PM
Huh, I guess I’d have to count, but it’s going to be low,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #57 on: August 22, 2023, 02:58:17 PM
I follow Gary's method of "not collecting" for the most part.  :D
- Terry

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #58 on: August 22, 2023, 04:08:37 PM
20 full functional ready to go, or 21 if you count the one which is a display,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: August 22, 2023, 05:49:14 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67