Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Stainless U.S.A. auto..........

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
"Stainless U.S.A. auto..........
on: November 19, 2019, 05:09:51 AM
Found this knife awhile back that wasn't functioning properly but it was only a couple dollars and I figured to give a shot at repairing it.For one reason or another it got tossed into my,"I'll fix it someday" drawer where it languished. Going through the drawer yesterday looking for a knife that had a broken bone handle that I needed to effect a repair on another knife I spied it and decided to try and fix it.
The problem was two fold:the button was almost impossible to push down and the plastic lock that sat atop the back of the handle did not function. Luckily there were only three screws holding it together so I pulled it apart.The coil spring that operated the blade tried to put itself in orbit but luckily I have a large magnet(originally used at the end of a broom handle to pick up nails)and located it rather quickly.
The problem was quite obvious:someone had tried to depress the button while the lock was on.This resulted in the plastic lock being distorted to the point that it was unrepairable. I decided to eliminate it completly.
The button was hollow as a small return spring was located inside it.The thinness of the wall on the button had bent from being pressed.A little straightening and smoothing with a file  and re-assembling and the knife worked very well.
Although the stamping says USA on it the general look and construction would indicate one of Pacific Rim manufacture.No matter as it will go into my accumulation.
StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 001.jpg
* StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 001.jpg (Filesize: 173.6 KB)
StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 002.jpg
* StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 002.jpg (Filesize: 165.48 KB)
StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 003.jpg
* StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 003.jpg (Filesize: 93.93 KB)
StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 004.jpg
* StainlessUSASwitchblade2019 004.jpg (Filesize: 138.38 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: "Stainless U.S.A. auto..........
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 03:44:58 PM
Thats an interesting looking knife! That birds head is a true birds head!
I like that Post in the background...I have some Post slide rules!  :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 04:23:27 PM
Cool looking knife  :like:  8)
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 05:56:00 PM
Thats an interesting looking knife! That birds head is a true birds head!
I like that Post in the background...I have some Post slide rules!  :cheers:
Thank you. The Post is an old small portable drafting table that I installed a padded grid that allows you to cut out things on it and it self heals. As a semi-retired sign artist I have several of them that I still use frequently.I like using this one to photograph knives and other objects on as it is gridded in 1 inch(25.4mm)squares making it easy to discern the size of the object.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:13:07 AM
Thank you. The Post is an old small portable drafting table that I installed a padded grid that allows you to cut out things on it and it self heals. As a semi-retired sign artist I have several of them that I still use frequently.I like using this one to photograph knives and other objects on as it is gridded in 1 inch(25.4mm)squares making it easy to discern the size of the object.
I was thinking a drafting table and the grid threw me off! I like the grid on there!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%