Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC in DEC

Nix · 2113 · 44899

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Re: EDC in DEC
Reply #2040 on: December 30, 2020, 06:47:41 PM
Simple but practical use of the file  :like:

Problem encountered + solution found (+ elbow grease) = problem solved. The raison d'etre of EDC  :tu:
Well said!

Nice see a file in use :-)

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: EDC in DEC Day 30
Reply #2041 on: December 30, 2020, 06:48:47 PM
DAY 30 

So, here we are at the end of 2020 (was that the challenge  :ahhh ) and my final shot is a glamour (ish) one of some of my EDC handing over to my only two 111mm for one of the next challenges.

TBH, toolwise I mostly used the FX, followed by the PST. I don't think I ever really needed to use the Fenix or the GPT for anything other than contrived uses and to provide a bit of variety in usage type shots  :dunno:

Like most here I suppose the most "actual use" came from my phone as it was used every single day to take the pics, followed by the ubiquitous facemask  ::)

It was an insightful month which pretty much confirmed what I had already suspected; I would use the FX most, mainly because of where I live (London suburb, slap bang in the middle of a town)

I have little EDC need of anything more than the FX, although I have still yet to find a need for the saw (I could get away with the PX) Still, it's nice to have option of sawing my way through a fallen tree, whilst en-route to Marks & Spencer (less than a minute, on foot  :rofl: )

So, thanks to NIX  :salute: for hosting this challenge and I look forward to seeing some of you in either of the January challenges  (I've inadvertantly entered both  :facepalm:

Have a great/better New Year Awl and stay safe out there  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 
EDC in DEC Day 30a.jpg
* EDC in DEC Day 30a.jpg (Filesize: 219.98 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2042 on: December 30, 2020, 07:43:49 PM
Nothing exciting, no secret technique. I just used it to help remove the foil and then unwind the wire seal  :-[

I could have done that without using anything at all but, where's the fun in that  :dunno: :rofl:

Spoke like a true MTOer!  :D :cheers:

My family is fine, just shaken up. People in Petrinja, Glina, Sisak and the surrounding area have been hit very hard, with most of them losing the roof over their heads. Yesterday it was a 6.4 earthquake, followed by a number of smaller ones if we count only ones above 3.0. A big part of the issue is that the day before that same area was hit by a 5+ one. We felt all of those in Zagreb, but the sheer devastation that that area experienced is awful

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/croatia.html
Styx, hope all is well with you and family.  I know most of our members are pretty smart about getting ready and prep for this kind of situation, but nonetheless please do take care!

Btw, very nice light!  :like:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #2043 on: December 30, 2020, 08:06:59 PM
Spoke like a true MTOer!  :D :cheers:

Styx, hope all is well with you and family.  I know most of our members are pretty smart about getting ready and prep for this kind of situation, but nonetheless please do take care!

Btw, very nice light!  :like:

Cheers Comis  :hatsoff: :cheers:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #2044 on: December 30, 2020, 08:11:27 PM
My family is fine, just shaken up. People in Petrinja, Glina, Sisak and the surrounding area have been hit very hard, with most of them losing the roof over their heads. Yesterday it was a 6.4 earthquake, followed by a number of smaller ones if we count only ones above 3.0. A big part of the issue is that the day before that same area was hit by a 5+ one. We felt all of those in Zagreb, but the sheer devastation that that area experienced is awful

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/croatia.html
Best wishes to you and your family styx  :tu: I'm sure you're well prepared  ;)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2045 on: December 30, 2020, 08:18:43 PM

Problem encountered + solution found (+ elbow grease) = problem solved. The raison d'etre of EDC  :tu:

And it's soo satisfying  :cheers:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: EDC in DEC Day 30
Reply #2046 on: December 30, 2020, 08:22:49 PM
DAY 30 

I have little EDC need of anything more than the FX, although I have still yet to find a need for the saw (I could get away with the PX) Still, it's nice to have option of sawing my way through a fallen tree, whilst en-route to Marks & Spencer (less than a minute, on foot  :rofl: )

So, thanks to NIX  :salute: for hosting this challenge and I look forward to seeing some of you in either of the January challenges  (I've inadvertantly entered both  :facepalm:

Have a great/better New Year Awl and stay safe out there  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:rofl:

... also thanks to Nix from me for yet another excellent challenge idea hosted  :cheers:  :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2047 on: December 30, 2020, 09:46:23 PM
 :cheers:

As awl-ways....it is you guys who participate so actively that make these challenges fun.   :2tu:

So....a big thanks to everybody who joined in, participated, commented, and shared!   :viking:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2048 on: December 30, 2020, 09:50:10 PM

What he said  :like: :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2049 on: December 30, 2020, 09:56:46 PM
What he said  :like: :tu:

Thanks Sire. I might use this as proof to the missus that I've done something right  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2050 on: December 30, 2020, 09:59:00 PM
Day 30

The only item I hadn't used so far was the First Aid Kit...so guess what...

Worked on a small project today and used the belt sander for it. While removing the work piece from the sander I barley touched the still moving sanding belt with the outside of my finger. A belt sander makes quick work of skin  :D Not a big deal, but enough to bleed, so in the spirit of the EDC challenge (and to decrease healing time) I cleaned the wound and applied a band-aid.

Pioneer blade removed the foil of some tea packages.

My challenge conclusion:
Besides picking the wrong multitool at the beginning, everything was spot on. I used everything at least once, the majority of the items multiple times per day. The only thing I will change, is to replace the Classic with a Signature.
I had forgotten to grab my pen one time, and of course that was the day I needed the pen to make a note.

Great job all doing this challenge, great seeing how the different setups work for different people  :tu:

Thanks to Nix for hosting, always a pleasure  :hatsoff:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2051 on: December 30, 2020, 10:01:03 PM
Thanks Sire. I might use this as proof to the missus that I've done something right  :D

If needed I can supply a letter supporting your carry methodology  :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2052 on: December 30, 2020, 10:03:45 PM
If needed I can supply a letter supporting your carry methodology  :D

Btw, spectacular finish  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2053 on: December 30, 2020, 10:21:52 PM
EDC 30:

For this EDC challenge, I went with a light-weight, low-drag set up. In retrospect this was a good choice as I was not very active during this challenge. I'd like to got through each item and comment on it's use....or lack there of.

• Bandana -- this got used a few times to wipe of my reading glasses. I always carry a bandana for the multitude of uses a nice piece of cloth can be put to. This month....just a couple of times to wipe off the reading glasses. While this proved to be a low-use item, I wouldn't be caught without one. Keep.

• Wallet -- used multiple times. In reality, I only used the credit card. The wallet proved to be entirely extraneous....though it still seems like a good idea to have my driver's license with me...... Keep.

• String -- this is me being a bit of a string geek. I never used my two strings during the challenge. If I had gone for longer hikes or camping or fishing.....perhaps the string would have come in handy. A zero-use item....but one that doesn't take up much space or weight.  Keep (because I like string.).

• House keys with tools -- I didn't use any of the tools. The 4-way driver, widgy bar, and tweezers were nice to have along.....but not needed. To parse out the tools....based on past experience, not just this challenge, the Widgy bar gets a Keep, Tweezers get a Keep, 4-way driver.....uhhhh.... Remove.

• Money clip -- used some of the cash....a couple of times. Cash is good. Having cash handy without having to pull out a wallet is nice (my opinion). The Money clip gets a solid Keep.

• Pocket caddy -- excellent bit of kit. Keep.

• Lighter -- the lighter got used to light a few candles during the challenge. It was nice to have.....but....there were matches close at hand most of the times I used the lighter. Remove.

• BAK -- The knife blade and the can/bottle opener got used. The driver tip never got used...a bit to my surprise. Overall I was really pleased with this knife. It did a great job with the chicken challenge and opening boxes. For apple cutting....less so...but it's performance was acceptable. In my mind the BAK is comparable to the Soldier or a Spartan. A Spartan would have served me better....yes, I missed that corkscrew a couple of times...however, I have to say the BAK strikes me as a more rugged and tough knife. I carried a Farmer on active duty and it served me well, but the BAK seems to be a tougher, "hard use", sort of knife. It strikes me as being as rugged as a pocket knife can be.....and for a limited toolset it was remarkably useful.  Again, because of circumstances, I never "needed" the BAK. A can opener or kitchen knife was always close to hand. However, as an EDC item I think the BAK is excellent and I recommend it. More than a SAK?  Don't be silly. However....stuck on a U-boat in the North Atlantic.....maybe I would rather have the BAK. Next time....maybe with a marlin spike..... The BAK could be removed because the 58 proved so useful....but I'm giving it a Keep.

• Victorinox Signature Lite -- the 58 proved to be the most useful piece of the EDC. It got used to open mail and packages. The nail file got used a few times. The scissors were used numerous times. Today alone the 58 got used to peel an orange, open a box (containing a fixie!), and open a package of loose tea. The pen was used when out and about for mailing off parcels or labelling food at the organic food store. The light never got used in anger, but it was nice to have. Since the Sig Lite had a light, I didn't need to carry an extra AAA light. I would say that the Sig Lite was the most used bit of EDC kit. This is my first Signature Lite and I really, really like it. There were a few times when I accidentally activated the light (it is easy to depress the switch.). Because of this, if you are considering a career as a ninja, cat-burglar, or spy, I would not recommend it. Otherwise I would say a Sig Lite might take the place of my beloved Vic Classic. Keep, Keep, and Keep.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2054 on: December 30, 2020, 10:24:08 PM
Day 30

The only item I hadn't used so far was the First Aid Kit...so guess what...

:rofl:   "There will be blood....."

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2055 on: December 30, 2020, 10:27:17 PM
:rofl:   "There will be blood....."

Indeed  :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2056 on: December 30, 2020, 10:40:27 PM
EDC 30:

... Otherwise I would say a Sig Lite might take the place of my beloved Vic Classic. Keep, Keep, and Keep.

Surprising win for the BAK  :like:  :like:

About the Signature Lite, if carried in the coin/5th pocket, would you say it's highly likely to accidently activate the light often?
And how useful would you describe the light output please?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2057 on: December 30, 2020, 11:04:47 PM
About the Signature Lite, if carried in the coin/5th pocket, would you say it's highly likely to accidently activate the light often?
And how useful would you describe the light output please?

I have worried that the light might get drained with accidental activation. This doesn't seem to happen when carrying the Sig Lite in my 5th pocket. I carry it shield-side inwards (the shield is the activation button.) Even if I press on the knife, the light is not activated. And here, 30-days later, the battery is still strong.

Here is a shot of the light illuminating a little used closet in my very dark garage:

The light is bright enough to illuminate a large room adequately enough to navigate without bumping into things. I would not rely on it to go gator hunting.....but then I don't hunt gators, so this is not an issue.  Awl in awl, I find the light to be useful as an EDC, look under the couch, locate the waste where the dog just went at night, inspect a dark corner, sort of light.  I don't feel the need for anything more.

:dunno:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2058 on: December 30, 2020, 11:16:05 PM
Thanks a million Jack  :hatsoff:

... you enabler. This looks just like one for me   :D :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2059 on: December 30, 2020, 11:17:41 PM
Sorry......  :D

But I really like it!  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2060 on: December 30, 2020, 11:34:10 PM
Some badges awarded   :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2061 on: December 31, 2020, 12:00:47 AM
Day 30
I used everything I carried.  I kind of wish I'd carried my regular knives and tools but you have to switch it up now and then.  The Sidekick and the Mountaineer are still a good combo in my opinion.  I had plenty of use for the main blade and the saw but I didn't have much use for the inboard tools in the Sidekick as they are a bit on the small side.
EDC in DEC 30.JPG
* EDC in DEC 30.JPG (Filesize: 145.12 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2062 on: December 31, 2020, 12:14:25 AM
Thanks a million Jack  :hatsoff:

... you enabler. This looks just like one for me   :D :facepalm:

Same here  :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2063 on: December 31, 2020, 12:20:25 AM
Same here  :facepalm:

Well, I blame you guys for not helping me find the Signature Lite sooner!   :pok:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2064 on: December 31, 2020, 01:01:24 AM

Well, I blame you guys for not helping me find the Signature Lite sooner!   :pok:

Yeah, what's up with that, McStitchy  :pok: :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2065 on: December 31, 2020, 01:01:58 AM
Some badges awarded   :cheers:

Thank you very much Steve  :cheers:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2066 on: December 31, 2020, 01:07:01 AM
Yeah, what's up with that, McStitchy  :pok: :D

Well...yes...ah...no...uh... what?   :shrug:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2067 on: December 31, 2020, 01:15:13 AM

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2068 on: December 31, 2020, 01:18:37 AM

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2069 on: December 31, 2020, 02:14:47 AM
Day 30
Today was a Spirit day, with the combo tool opening a box and breaking down a couple others, the small driver adjusting the flame on my lighter, and the scissors cutting a couple tags.

I thought I’d end with a picture of my organizer pouch that is the heart of my edc.

It is no surprise to me that much of my carry will not change just because it is the result of a few years iterative process.

The pouch will definitely stay the same, although I may change or add/remove now and then based on what else I am carrying.  One change that will be happening is instead of loose sheets of Rite in the Rain paper, I will be adding a mini notebook (about size of two stacked credit cards) that I recently discovered.  I am also thinking about replacing the ziploc bag with a 1L dry dag which I think will be more durable and versatile. 

The Spirit will get change now and again depending on challenges or mood.  The Spirit is definitely a great option and fits the pouch fine, so it could easily remain and I’d be happy.  Being that it is the new Spirit MXBS, I discovered that I found more use than expected of the serrated blade and didn’t really miss the saw.  The OHO tabs aren’t as easy to use as some other methods but they do work and do not get in the way which is the big thing. 

The HDS flashlight will not be going anywhere.  Despite being a little bigger and heavier than some other flashlights, I love everything else about this light from tint to varying brightness, runtime, durability, etc.

The Yeoman is still awesome as I already knew, including the scales, but if carrying I like it in the organizer better than loose in pocket.  I’d probably stick to a traditional pocket knife as complement to an MT.

One item that still has not been resolved and will be getting changed out is the keychain flashlight.  The Mini One comes on sometimes in my pocket unless I use the lockout, which then takes more time to turn on.  This month I got a Rovyvon Aurora A8x that I’m going to try out.  It requires a double click to turn on which may prevent it accidentally turning on.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%