Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mad Max Challenge 15182

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,816
Mad Max Challenge
« on: November 02, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »

"Come on, sweetheart, this one's a heavyweight!"

I read a funny comment from a fellow MTo member that he was doing fine with a Recruit for 25+ years until he met us lot on MTo, and I think that story is probably true for most SAKaholics I've met here on the forum. I was lucky to be gifted a Swisschamp when I was in my Scouting years, and, for years, that was my most prized possession. I never felt the need to look for another SAK.

Fast forward a few decades, I stumbled upon a few discontinued Wenger models, didn't find any pictures on SAKwiki, and started posting on MTO...long story short, I started my whole SAK collecting/accumulating 'career' thanks to MTo. Over the years, I was lucky enough to acquire a good number of SAKs, some of them have so many layers that they are obviously meant to be more of a conversation piece than a tool for practical use...which brings us to this challenge:

Mad Max......the very epitome of "go big or go home"....and you have to be a little crazy to attempt it.

The Mad Max 30 days challenge demands we use the heaviest, biggest, baddest SAKs in our collection. Instead of these monsters gathering dust in a display or being merely relegated to a conversation piece, we will try to have fun using them like our lesser, EDC SAKs or MT's.

Yes, the dystopian, post-apocalyptic world of Max Rockatansky was a lawless place, but, here on MTo, we'll need....

A Few Rules:

1) Mad Max worthy SAK's include: Victorinox 91mm Swisschamp XAVT, XXLT, 111mm Workchamp XL, Wenger/Delemont EvoGrip S54, Tool Chest Plus and the Giant. You are free to rotate between these models throughout the challenge.

2) Post a photo a day of your selected tool for 30 days straight, and preferably in use.  If you miss a day or two, worry not, just continue the challenge in consecutive days and finish a few days late.

3) In addition to the daily photo, please always feel free to share your story of the tool you selected or the brand. Any and awl observations, comparisons, or reviews are much appreciated.

4) With the exception of the Wenger Giant, we encourage participants to carry their chosen tool of the day on person as much as possible, so the selected challenge tool might be used as the primary tool first and foremost.  However, if your work requires you to use a different tool or you can't bring the challenge tool where you are going (for example, traveling by plane or visiting a school building), you are exempted from this rule.

5) For participants entering the challenge with Wenger Giant, it is entirely up to you whether you want to put the tool to use or you want to keep the tool pristine and just want to post glamour shots of the Giant and do a final review on it.  Though I highly recommend to give it a spin, like Tony Stark once said, "what's the point of owning a race car when you can't drive it?" Besides....what would Mad Max do?

Have Max and Mad fun!

As usual, I will be sponsoring and giving out free fridge magnets to participants who complete this 30 days challenge with us.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:03:11 PM by SteveC »

Join Daredevil Challenge in August and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,172 Born to multitask.
Re: Mad Max Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »
 :'(
I don't have a Giant. Should I buy one just for the fridge magnet? :ahhh
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,198

Nix us

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
Oh, this should be good.....  :popcorn:

heterodox, not in the box
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »
:'(
I don't have a Giant. Should I buy one just for the fridge magnet? :ahhh

:facepalm:  If you really do that, I will definitely gift you something else on top of what said. ;)

I looked at the short list of collectors I knew here who owns the Giant, with Coloswiss/Karl passed away a couple years back, Wenger no longer in business and some of the members no longer active on the forum, I knew the opportunity for doing this challenge is fleeing fast.  Hope this challenge could bring some of us together for a fun and memorable month.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,765
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
I'm in!  :2tu:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
I'm in!  :2tu:
Great to have you!  :cheers: :D

Wenger Giant Challenge in March 2021

1. Comis
2. FolderBeholder

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,765
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
Great to have you!  :cheers: :D

Wenger Giant Challenge in March 2021

1. Comis
2. FolderBeholder
Thank you.  :hatsoff:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,566 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 05:43:23 PM »
Where an XAVT is considered minimal :rofl:

Barry
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,610
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 05:50:12 PM »
If anyone feels the urge to send me a Giant, now is the time! :pommel:

Buy now or regret later
No Life Club Posts: 4,807
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »
This is one case where you go from wondering "which belt pouch" to "which messsenger bag and/or backpack".  The Giant is half as wide as my belt is long!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 07:14:25 PM »
Me too!!
If anyone feels the urge to send me a Giant, now is the time! :pommel:

Barry
Hero Member Posts: 890
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 10:15:59 PM »
The Giant Challenge(!) :climber:
(Image removed from quote.)

Though just for fun, I do highly recommend anyone joining to give the Giant a real spin, to EDC or use it for a day, just for the kick of it... >:D

Great idea, I would love to see a picture of you carrying this thing in your pocket. Darling, is this season 1 of GoT in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 11:50:19 PM »
 :rofl:

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 2,850
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 12:26:15 AM »
 :o I'll be a spectator   :ahhh
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
Where an XAVT is considered minimal :rofl:

This is one case where you go from wondering "which belt pouch" to "which messsenger bag and/or backpack".  The Giant is half as wide as my belt is long!
You are speaking my mind, gonna find the right 'pouch' before the challenge... :whistle:

Great idea, I would love to see a picture of you carrying this thing in your pocket. Darling, is this season 1 of GoT in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
:rofl:  This kinda reminds me the story about Walkman and Sony--when the first Walkman came out, it was way bigger than most average pocket, and for that, Sony came out with larger-than-usual pocket clothing just to pair it with the first Walkman.  Now, if I could only find a pants with a XXXXXL pocket... :whistle:

No Life Club Posts: 1,124 The Spirit of Central Asia
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »
This is gonna be epic!

:popcorn: :facepalm: :popcorn:
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
I wonder if I could rent one for this Challenge?!  The badge should definitely be unique  :D

Barry
Full Member Posts: 176
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 03:55:43 PM »
The badge should definitely be unique  :D
When you say "badge", you mean "full-width banner", right?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,349 aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 04:44:29 PM »
I’ll be watching this from the sidelines, unfortunately I don’t have a wenger giant  :angel:

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,198

Nix us

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 05:18:23 PM »

heterodox, not in the box
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 07:38:54 PM »
More like an oversized load!!  :rofl:

Barry
Sr. Member Posts: 442
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »
Even as a spectator I can’t wait for this...
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
But seriously, if you don't mind putting your Giant to actual use, it would really be fun to see photo stories of how - if at all - you manage everyday menial tasks with it, like cutting food, turning a screw, opening a bottle of beer/wine etc. Really hope you will treat us to all that (and more), Comics!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »
I wonder if I could rent one for this Challenge?!  The badge should definitely be unique  :D
You guys just gave me some new idea about the magnet, or even the badges if eligible.  :D

But seriously, if you don't mind putting your Giant to actual use, it would really be fun to see photo stories of how - if at all - you manage everyday menial tasks with it, like cutting food, turning a screw, opening a bottle of beer/wine etc. Really hope you will treat us to all that (and more), Comics!
For sure, I will probably will make a youtube video by the end of month, so you could see that for comic relief.  This should be fun! >:D

No Life Club Posts: 1,124 The Spirit of Central Asia
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
You guys just gave me some new idea about the magnet, or even the badges if eligible.  :D

For sure, I will probably will make a youtube video by the end of month, so you could see that for comic relief.  This should be fun! >:D

Everything in relation to the giant should be done in Cinemascope!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
No Life Club Posts: 2,197
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 01:20:44 AM »
Given the number of tools, this’ll need a 90 badge challenge, surely??!! :rofl:
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2020, 01:52:09 AM »
Bump! :D

No Life Club Posts: 3,270
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2020, 11:16:12 AM »
Not many people know this, but one of the Twelve Labours of Hercules involved the goddess Athena and a Wenger Giant. After cleaning out the Augean stables, Hercules's fingernails were absolutely filthy, so Artemis stole her dad Zeus's Wenger Giant and gave it to Hercules to trim his nails with. No matter how he struggled, he could not hold the knife and manipulate the clipper at the same time. Artemis pitied him and sent him on some other Labour instead, with fingernails as gnarly as they'd been before.
True story!
No Life Club Posts: 2,197
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
Nice one, TP! :rofl:
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2020, 10:13:33 PM »
Not many people know this, but one of the Twelve Labours of Hercules involved the goddess Athena and a Wenger Giant. After cleaning out the Augean stables, Hercules's fingernails were absolutely filthy, so Artemis stole her dad Zeus's Wenger Giant and gave it to Hercules to trim his nails with. No matter how he struggled, he could not hold the knife and manipulate the clipper at the same time. Artemis pitied him and sent him on some other Labour instead, with fingernails as gnarly as they'd been before.
True story!

Also little known: some time after this episode, the Wenger Giant turned against its owner Zeus. Athena had to call Hercules for help given that he was the only one familiar with all of the Giant's functions. And indeed he managed to wrestle it back into its box. They say the enraged Zeus sold the Giant soon thereafter to a travelling collector...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%