Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave Mods ( Pic Heavy )

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Leatherman Wave Mods ( Pic Heavy )
on: November 24, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
Mods section getting a bit chilly again..

I had posted this before on FB but in here will more in detail. Multitool.org forum is home and where it all began for me.  :cheers:

A pair that I had customised recently. Personally I still feel that the Wave platform is still the best for modifications and the size is just perfect.

The Silver one is the one that I use at the moment along with my daily MP600. Its carries the tools that are very functional for me. The other, Goldie is a very recent addition to the family. Tool selection might still be changed.

Here goes.

Silver one had been through an acid bath and some heat treatment to give it a darker, aged patina. Goldie is a painful one. Dremeled the markings and filed by hand to get the textured look. Acid bathed and heat to achieve the colour. In the process, hardness may or may not be affected but it doesn't matter in my opinion. It's a handle, softer may be a good thing in fact. Some chamfering done on the large pivot and the smaller ones are flattened out.

External tool load.

Silver have a "real" 2nd cut metal file. Works very well for fast removal of material. Feels really good to have a proper file packed in a multitool.

Both are packing metal saw. Fashioned from Lenox reciprocating saw blade. Good for cutting all sorts of material. They are pretty rigid so I opt for them to be forward cutting. Silver is having 2 saw, a medium metal saw and a fine teeth. Both locks.  :cheers:

This sheepsfoot is re-profiled from a reciprocating saw blade as well. They are very thin and flexi which makes them a extremely good slicer. I kept the edge as close to the original saw teeth as possible as I believe that's where it's the hardest. So far I have not run into any issues with them. Doesn't have the best edge retention but so does the stock  :P Occasional strokes on the turnbox and light strops brings them to literally razor sharp again.

I am not leaving the pliers alone either... Grounded to be a very pointy needle nose. Just the way I like :D

Selected internal tools. Nothing too fancy, some just grounded in a way that works for me.

Some pokey tools

Some prying tools. I often need to change plastic tag plates. These have very fine edge but are smoothed out. Works great for lego too!

:multi: No heavy machineries no workshop no welding. Fun things that can be done at home.  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline ComboTool

Re: Leatherman Wave Mods ( Pic Heavy )
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:00:23 AM
Impressive mods! How do you get two saws to lock on the same side?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:28:33 AM
Impressive mods! How do you get two saws to lock on the same side?

The top saw is lock by a liner layer. When free, it can swing anti-clockwise together with the top saw to clear the area need to access the original liner lock to disengage the bottom saw. Viola  :cheers:

Offline ComboTool

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 12:51:25 PM
Very clever :hatsoff:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 02:55:42 PM
Well done, Sam; excellency as usual!  :tu:
Love those textured handles (LTG, ARE YOU WATCHING THIS!?! GREAT IDEA FOR A LIMITED RUN OF YOURS!), and very ingenious of you the saw adaptations and lock; and your signature pliers... :drool: :drool:

BTW, did you used a medium flat driver for the awl, or another tool? This is something I'd like to try.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 03:34:57 PM
Very clever :hatsoff:

:hatsoff:

Well done, Sam; excellency as usual!  :tu:
Love those textured handles (LTG, ARE YOU WATCHING THIS!?! GREAT IDEA FOR A LIMITED RUN OF YOURS!), and very ingenious of you the saw adaptations and lock; and your signature pliers... :drool: :drool:

BTW, did you used a medium flat driver for the awl, or another tool? This is something I'd like to try.

That awl came from the " medium? " from the zytel series. The one on the rebar is thinner. So many times things could had gone wrong on the handle. I just did a count and there are 40 grooves/side. So I had filed down about 160 grooves in total. Giving myself a few good pats on the back now..  :salute:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Sam, and,  most definitively a great big example of craftsmanship and patience! :clap: :clap: :clap:

it Offline jimmiewalker

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 12:56:45 PM
Very cool work, i like it! And a brilliant idea on the lockin mechanism of the saw blades.
Have you used a jig to keep the  dremel in place during  the handle modding?

Cheers

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:04 PM
Very cool work, i like it! And a brilliant idea on the lockin mechanism of the saw blades.
Have you used a jig to keep the  dremel in place during  the handle modding?

Cheers

I originally began to make out the grooves with a cut off wheel, free hand. Then switch to a round stone. The effect looked totally like smurf and then soon realise it not going to work and I think I am slightly above average at handling a dremel.. That's when I decided I have to file by hand........ Its madness.. Didn't really think through it at first. I am just glad I happen to have a perfectly size half round file at home. An almost needle size file.. I did clamp it to a vice when filing though.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 02:10:49 PM
Excellent work Sam !    :like: :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 01:47:06 AM

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:43:31 AM
I screamed 'wow' with every pic I saw. And that custom liner-lock. Oh my, this thread should be a sticky.  :like:
The advanced modder badge you have is too little.
Thank you for being a modding genius.  :hatsoff:
And collaborate with someone already.  :pok:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 07:01:35 PM
I screamed 'wow' with every pic I saw. And that custom liner-lock. Oh my, this thread should be a sticky.  :like:
The advanced modder badge you have is too little.
Thank you for being a modding genius.  :hatsoff:
And collaborate with someone already.  :pok:

I think that's the only badge I have..  :facepalm:

No genius.. Just someone with quite a bit of free time.  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 03:45:07 AM
Oh wow :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Sweet mods, Sam :drool: I don't think I could think of some of the things you have done :ahhh

Great work as always and thanks for sharing :salute: :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 02:03:59 AM
Oh wow :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Sweet mods, Sam :drool: I don't think I could think of some of the things you have done :ahhh

Great work as always and thanks for sharing :salute: :like:

:salute: goldie's load is still in the work. Cannot decide on them. Never really like the gut hook SE blade...

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 01:31:48 AM
 :like:

Offline dfj0458

• New User
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2022, 06:16:10 PM
Silver have a "real" 2nd cut metal file. Works very well for fast removal of material. Feels really good to have a proper file packed in a multitool.
Hi Sam, where can I buy the real cut metal file?  Thanks.

Steve

Offline ilikepinkcrayons

Reply #17 on: November 02, 2022, 12:05:54 AM
Hi Sam, where can I buy the real cut metal file?  Thanks.

Steve
I'm glad I'm not the one who resurrected this zombie thread for Halloween...

But yes: where'd you get the file from? Is it just a thin flat file? (aka "smurf" cut mill file...not my phrase)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2022, 01:57:49 AM
Lol. Zombie here. I cut down that file from a regular metal 6in file and drilled to fit. A little caveat though, they are usually higher in carbon so they will rust. Maintenance is required but heck they are really useful.

Offline ilikepinkcrayons

Reply #19 on: November 02, 2022, 03:30:50 AM
Haha, the language filter converted the industry correct term, which starts with a "bast" and ends in an "ard", to "Smurf".

I shall call it a "Smurf" file from hence forth!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD