Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK surprised you most?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: Which SAK surprised you most?
Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 09:04:08 PM
Agree on the 84mm line. I wish there would be more options. I would also take more 85mm options, if they got rid of those stupid scales. I know they are supposed to improve the haptic, but i just find them annoying. They increase the width of the SAK unnecessarily and I don’t think they make the SAK easier to handle.

I love my Evowood 14. Much prefer it to the Climber. The scales feel really nice in my hand and the width lessens the protrusion of the corkscrew. I find too thick for pocket carry, so it lives on my desk as a handy and beautiful thing. I must grind off the keyring sometime.
Rambler

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 09:26:07 PM
This thread is fantastic. I am a mega fan of the 84 mm line and believe if Victorinox would release a cadet x it would be an instant blockbuster. My favorite dual carry with almost any MT is the 84 mm golfer with plus scales. Super slim and simply disappears in your pocket. Also carry the Hoffritz 84mm master craftsman with plus scales solo quite a bit. So wish Victorinox had more 84 mm options. Over the years of collecting I have come to appreciate smaller packages with greater versatility vs newer often inferior quality stuff available now.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:08 PM
That Hoffritz is NICE!!!
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 06:22:00 AM
I was always intrigued by the Cybertools, but never got one. They are too expensive and I don’t work enough on electronics to justify one. And i really doubt that bit holder would be up to the tasks i have in store for it.

My initial reaction is, don't underestimate the bit holder.  The bit holder layer is 6-7 mm thick, or about two standard layers, and seems quite solid.  In an over-torque situation, I suspect the pin/pivot/rivets of the SAK would give before the bit holder itself.  What tasks would you have in mind?

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #34 on: January 01, 2021, 02:32:27 PM
Another vote for the 84mm ( and for the more options too ). I got a sportsman a couple of months back and haven’t carried anything else ( bar my keychain manager) since. Just has everything I use often and the size is perfect. I don’t understand the logic in taking scissors out of the options for 84mm range as it’s pretty much one of the most popular tool options in all other ranges! Cadet X mentioned in several threads recently and 100% think that would be massive!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 01, 2021, 02:36:17 PM
This thread is fantastic. I am a mega fan of the 84 mm line and believe if Victorinox would release a cadet x it would be an instant blockbuster. My favorite dual carry with almost any MT is the 84 mm golfer with plus scales.

Very nice! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 01, 2021, 02:56:34 PM
The SAK that surprised me the most, and not in a good way would be the Pioneer X. The Pioneer or Soldier is the perfect form factor for me... but the mere addition of a single tool layer takes it from perfect to almost unbearable.  Still carry it (almost) every day though. The marked different was quite a surprise to me.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 03:07:23 PM
Hmm, this would have to by a tie between the Compact and the cellidor miniChamp:

Compact- I was floored by the sheer versatility of it, it just feels so much more useful than my Spartan or Tinker and makes me want more Combo tool models (it opens bottles fine and has served admirable as a scraper and screwdriver, though when I get another model I want to try out Sos' grinding it into a package opener trick). I'm not in love with scissors, I think if I had to pick a layer to take its place I'd go for the mag/phillips layer, I just really like that layer. That said it is far more comfortable to use the scissors on a two later than on my Explorer, it's become my go to 'larger' scissor option for my recent crafts.

MiniChamp: I've owned a Classic for 14 years and was a little iffy about the substantial thickness and weigh difference of the MiniChamp, though that said... I absolutely love it! As soon as I picked it up I was amazed at how nice it felt in hand and the tool suite was very nice (though I do wish for two scale slots whilst keeping the pen). It quickly became a default option whenever I didn't need to use hand sanitiser, accompanying what ever ridiculously large load out I was carrying yet still adding value.

I suspect an Alox one is in my distant future, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it sans pen and tweezers  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 01, 2021, 03:23:19 PM
The SAK that surprised me the most, and not in a good way would be the Pioneer X. The Pioneer or Soldier is the perfect form factor for me... but the mere addition of a single tool layer takes it from perfect to almost unbearable.  Still carry it (almost) every day though. The marked different was quite a surprise to me.

I feel the same way about the PX. It just doesn’t work for me. But why do you still carry it? Even though you do not like, no other options?

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #39 on: January 01, 2021, 03:50:28 PM
The Classic.
 :hatsoff:
Regards
Andetto

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 01, 2021, 04:21:51 PM
I feel the same way about the PX. It just doesn’t work for me. But why do you still carry it? Even though you do not like, no other options?

Great question.  :hatsoff:  There are a few reasons I still carry it.  Chief among them is that I would feel comfortable using the blade and awl in a pinch to build a fire.  It's a theoretical "what if" scenario that I always keep in mind, as in years past an impromptu hike or cookout was a not infrequent occurrence. 

Other options that top my list for an EDC SAK are:
Compact - would be fine if it had an awl instead of a hook.  I think I'd be ok with the fire building "requirement"
Huntsman - too big, particularly for the quick way I tend to use it 80% of the time.
Pioneer - need scissors, otherwise, it's been perfect for many years.
Climber - honestly I haven't given it too much thought, but it might work

So, all things considered, the Pioneer X gives me the flexibility that I'm looking for between town and country, with a slimmer-ish form factor.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #41 on: January 01, 2021, 04:26:40 PM
Interesting. We might have to start a group buy from a modder for a Compact with awl. I would buy one too  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #42 on: January 01, 2021, 08:17:08 PM
My initial reaction is, don't underestimate the bit holder.  The bit holder layer is 6-7 mm thick, or about two standard layers, and seems quite solid.  In an over-torque situation, I suspect the pin/pivot/rivets of the SAK would give before the bit holder itself.  What tasks would you have in mind?

Just the usual work around house and property. I just figured that a tool that is designed for light duty on electronics, wouldn’t be able to handle the tasks I would put a Spirit/MP600/Rebar through  :dunno:

us Offline getahl

Reply #43 on: January 01, 2021, 08:22:17 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised how pocketable even 4 layer 85mm Wengers are. Specific models, I really like the Pocket Pal. It's super comfy to use and hold.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 12:51:03 AM
Secretary and Settler. They're blade-only models, which to many is an oxymoron. The Secretary is a slim penknife in a good size for EDC.  The Settler is light and slim too, but heavy duty.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #45 on: January 02, 2021, 02:16:04 AM
The MiniChamp is beefy for sure. 
I ended up loving the Vagabond and have a small collection of them.  I even carry one on my keychain.  It has 6 blades and removes the cuticle pusher and screwdriver/ruler found on the MiniChamp.

(Image removed from quote.)

Where/when was the Alex green Vagabond from?  That’s sharp looking.
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 02:49:02 AM
Being a Vic guy...I think it’s the Wenger PTC.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #47 on: January 02, 2021, 03:47:02 AM
Where/when was the Alex green Vagabond from?  That’s sharp looking.
It was a special run of them by SwissBianco.  I didn't buy it when he first made them and now they are out of stock.  I found mine on eBay.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 02, 2021, 06:52:47 AM
Just the usual work around house and property. I just figured that a tool that is designed for light duty on electronics, wouldn’t be able to handle the tasks I would put a Spirit/MP600/Rebar through  :dunno:

If you would trust the 91mm cap lifter tool to do the job if it were a slotted screw, the bit holder definitely won't let you down.   :tu:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #49 on: January 02, 2021, 08:13:48 AM
Being a Vic guy...I think it’s the Wenger PTC.

:iagree: I was gifted one by FoBo and I think the Pocket Tool Chest really deserves bringing back. Cleverer toolset than the Rambler IMHO.

And the 84mm Vic's deserve more attention than they get. The Sportsman is a personal favourite but the Waiter is the one that impressed me for tool density and pure simplicity.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

ca Offline Altis

Reply #50 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:07 AM
Executive 74mm surprised me the most. I kind of knew about it but never really gave them much thought. Holy smokes was I ever surprised how much I like this model, though... it feels so nice in hand and feels strangely solid.

Cheese Master also surprised me with how solid and useful the main locking semi-serrated blade and cheese blade are (which has probably the strongest backspring of all the tools I've tried on SAKs). I really like having a plain edge close to the base and serrated out towards the tip. In fact, I'm planning on bringing it to my first rabbit hunt to clean the animal (using main blade) and cut some vegetables for stew (using the cheese knife).

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #51 on: January 02, 2021, 02:04:35 PM
If you would trust the 91mm cap lifter tool to do the job if it were a slotted screw, the bit holder definitely won't let you down.   :tu:

Interesting, I might have to give it a go after all. Darn enablers here  :pok: :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #52 on: January 02, 2021, 02:06:13 PM
:iagree: I was gifted one by FoBo and I think the Pocket Tool Chest really deserves bringing back. Cleverer toolset than the Rambler IMHO.

And the 84mm Vic's deserve more attention than they get. The Sportsman is a personal favourite but the Waiter is the one that impressed me for tool density and pure simplicity.

The PTC is another one that I have been looking for more than once, but not gotten it yet. Could someone please post a comparison pic between a Rambler and the PTC?  :popcorn:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 03:25:48 PM
The PTC is another one that I have been looking for more than once, but not gotten it yet. Could someone please post a comparison pic between a Rambler and the PTC?  :popcorn:
Working on some comparison pics for ya!

Done:

Weight of PTC: 1.25 ounces
Weight of Rambler: 1.04 ounces
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 02, 2021, 04:12:27 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised how pocketable even 4 layer 85mm Wengers are. Specific models, I really like the Pocket Pal. It's super comfy to use and hold.

I've thought about that as a more portable version of the Fieldmaster... But is it 6 in one and half a dozen in the other, since the scales are thicker?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #55 on: January 02, 2021, 07:14:36 PM
Working on some comparison pics for ya!

Done:

Weight of PTC: 1.25 ounces
Weight of Rambler: 1.04 ounces

Thank you, very helpful!  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #56 on: January 02, 2021, 10:54:20 PM
I just swapped out the Exec on my keychain for the PTC.  This thread reminded me that I haven't carried it in quite awhile.  I'd have to say that the PTC definitely surprised me a good bit.  It's the perfect size, and the tool set has a ton of uses.
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #57 on: January 02, 2021, 11:30:22 PM
The PTC, at 3" is just where size-wise, I get started. Not too small either.  While I view the Executive has having a practical toolset, the PTC is even more commonsense. You have two screwdrivers (one fitting #2 Phillips, the other working on things like glasses and small battery covers), a bottle opener (which the Executive lacks, which to me has never been a big deal), scissors, a nailfile, and a pen blade. Why is it the more gimmicky Wenger offerings Vic kept, but things like the PTC don't continue?   My theory is side-by-side, it would cut too much into MiniChamp sales.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #58 on: January 03, 2021, 12:43:24 AM
CT-L.

Seemed like a good idea.

Wrong.

It’s a great idea.

Makes me feel pity for those that want to show me their latest two bill flipper with one measly m-390 steak cutter. If I want to kill someone, I’ll pack heat. Go ahead. Make my day. Assemble my wife’s latest Amazon fulfillment with your steak cutter. Saw off a tree blade. File off a stripped screw head. Open a wine bottle. Pop open electronics and replace components with your flipper. Punch and reama new belt hole. Pull out a splinter. Bend a nail straight. Chisel a corner to fit. Pick your teeth with the m-390. Write a list. Check it off. Tighten the temples of your frames with the steak cutter. File your finger nails waiting for you lover with your steak cutter. Pop a cool one with your m-390. 

Then there is the over whelming lack of envy I now feel for guys fumbling for their latest leatherman on their belt pouches.

My rounded CT-L rides at the bottom of my pant pockets right where I want it. No belt pouch. I hate belt pouches.

If it tased, sprayed pepper 🌶, sprouted drone rotors, hid a soldering point and had a removable pliers,  I would trade up.

Otherwise my expectations are EXCEEDED!

:woohoo:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #59 on: January 03, 2021, 12:46:02 AM
Cody,

:iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00