Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chinese multitool, anyone seen it before? 616

New User Posts: 3
Chinese multitool, anyone seen it before?
« on: February 28, 2021, 12:10:08 PM »
I have this tool for at least 10 years, and always used it at work for light tasks. Keeps going, better build quality then most cheap tools I must say. Anyone recognize it?
No names anywhere on it.
(The red screw is not original, I marked to get quick accees to the knife without searching)
Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 4,427
Re: Chinese multitool, anyone seen it before?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:30:47 PM »
Interesting tool. How does the ruler fold up?
Newbie Posts: 40
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:45:16 PM »
I have this tool for at least 10 years, and always used it at work for light tasks. Keeps going, better build quality then most cheap tools I must say. Anyone recognize it?
No names anywhere on it.
(The red screw is not original, I marked to get quick accees to the knife without searching)

I have seen it for sale here:
https://www.johndeerestore.com/jdb2cstorefront/JohnDeereStore/en/John-Deere-products/Workshop/Tools/Hand-Tools-%26-Accessories/Stainless-Steel-Multi-Tool/p/TY26825
No Life Club Posts: 1,036 Queen's Venturer
Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 4,427
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 02:47:41 AM »
If you look closely, you can see a pivot at 211/16 inches.
:2tu:
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,105 Born to multitask.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
ThePeacent had one. Where are you, mate? We miss you. :-[

I'll try not to derail this too much, but here is a brief overlook of it.
I got it at one of the local flea markets for about $6 or so. It has been used lightly for some years now, nothing serious but I've been pleased with it so far. In fact it's one of the greatest inexpensive, off-brand tools I've had. A short list of the Good, Bad and Ugly of it.    :tu:

The Good:
- Absolutely ergonomic, one of the most comfortable MTs to use in Pliers mode that I've tried. Those plastic rubbery inserts sure help to it, as does the curve on the handles
- There is no spring load, (personal choice here, though) and I prefer that on my tools, especially if they are this big as if they were springy the handle splay would most likely be excessive for most hands
- The Phillips is decent, not perfect but way better than most cheap Chinese MTs screwdrivers. Same can be said for the scissors. The blade came sharp, not shaving but very decent, and it opens in the right direction so that the handles don't interfere with the curing
- The most surprising implement of them all is the file. Is super aggressive on one side, and nice and smooth on the other. Its steel is very good, hardened, and the file's pointy tip is stabby and doubles as a pretty nice awl/punch. the file's length and coarseness are above most MTs out there
- Very nice snap and detents on the implements, no clumping and really accessible nail nicks and cutouts so that you can easily pul out the tool you want and no other

(Image removed from quote.)

The Bad

- Non locking tools (which can be a plus if you're in the UK or have strict laws) make using the blade and file a bit dangerous (use common sense here) but the great drawback is on the screwdrivers, as they are very solid but the absence of lock make them pretty unusable for heavy duty screws, but the stiff detent and snap is up to light, medium and sensible use and screwdriving
- It's really thick (bulky) due to its many washers, implements and stainless steel body. Sheath carry is almost a must with these,a s it also lacks pocket clip (not that you'd carry that brick in the pocket though, even if it had a clip)

The Ugly
- The saw is awful. It is thin (as in not wide, not spine thickness) and that takes back from its cutting power. It's the hardest tool to access, but the teeth are sharp and grabby and it'll cut almost as good as a LM or Victorinox saw.
- The steel used in the head is soft (bends and dents easily) and I doubt it would hold up to certain wire cutting and heavy plier action, even though it has a hard-wire cutter notch under the normal cutting area and the width of opening is big, and wide. Above Skeletool, WIngman or PPP strength but below ST300, Surge, Powerlock or MP600

it also has other positive features (Phillips screws for easy maintenance, disassembly and manipulation).
The small screwdriver is a weird implement in most MTs as is the ruler function, the scissors have a solid spring system similar to Wenger's so they are durable and they've cut cardboard, tape, paper and twine without any problem so far. The hex holes fit and hold the bit heads tightly but I've barely used them.
The big flathead is pry-able and thick, will hold up and the pivot/washers will pop up before the implement breaks or bends.

So, all in all, I'd definitely recommend picking it up if you see it under $15 and I'd even take it before the Ganzo, as I personally like it more. 

:salute:
New User Posts: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »
Perfect description, it indeed is a very nice tool for the money. Funny to see you can still buy it, I have and use it for at least 10 yers, and can’t remember were or how I got.
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,105 Born to multitask.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »
Even since I first saw it I wanted one. I hope I find one someday.
Newbie Posts: 40
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 02:37:10 AM »
Even since I first saw it I wanted one. I hope I find one someday.

If you would like some help in getting one, let me know.
No Life Club Posts: 1,229 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 04:59:26 AM »
Very interesting. I hope I get one in a confo batch one day.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,674
No Life Club Posts: 1,229 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%