Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG Fish On Knife

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New SOG Fish On Knife
on: January 21, 2009, 03:51:22 AM
Well, here it is, the latest knife in the annual themed knife series.  As many of you remember, SOG had the Carpenter's Knife last year and also previously had the Muscle Car knife.  Well this year, they've gone fishing with the Fish On knife.

The handles have molded in fish scales, and when the blade opens it rotates the big gear and tiny decorative reel, making clicking sounds just like a real fishing reel.

The lock has a fin type motif going for it, adding to the illusion that you have a real fish knife.

It also has a reversible pocket clip, cut out in the shape of a fish as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: New SOG Fish On Knife
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:54:08 AM
I tried while we were there, and you can't reel the blade in with the little reel :(  I was disappointed :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:55:28 AM
Wow, that's actually not "bad".  The clicking and rotating reel is a bit much...but that's what a theme knife is all about anyways right?

And I get it...Fish On...Fusion...Fishon...Fusion..SOG Fusion series 8)
[

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 04:46:44 AM
I tried while we were there, and you can't reel the blade in with the little reel :(  I was disappointed :D

:( My first thought was if blade can be opened with the little reel.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:44:36 AM
I don't suppose anyone at SOG has mentioned whether their themed knives sell competitively with their regular budget fusion series?

I suppose they wouldn't keep making them if they weren't profitable, but it seems odd to (and here's a brand new turn of phrase I intend to abuse at the next executive committee meeting!) "niche without speSmurfpillsing"

which is to say - appeal to a certain market, without actually making something that is especially useful to them (Actually, I guess it is pretty normal. Like Simpsons apparel - it doesn't actually help you watch TV, but lots of simpson-watching people buy it)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:46:14 AM by Nomad »

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 05:42:37 AM
I think Sog should have stopped with the Kilowatt knife.  That was actually a good design and functional for electricians but their other theme knives seem to be nothing more than novelties for collecting, not really useful IMO.  Sure there's a blade but other than that the handles are just too busy to be comfortable, no ergonomics.  I've worked as a carpenter and can think of a dozen knives I'd rather use than their "contractor 2X4".  It doesn't even come with a proper sharpener for the flat contractor pencils.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:19:10 PM
I think Sog should have stopped with the Kilowatt knife.  That was actually a good design and functional for electricians but their other theme knives seem to be nothing more than novelties for collecting, not really useful IMO.  Sure there's a blade but other than that the handles are just too busy to be comfortable, no ergonomics.  I've worked as a carpenter and can think of a dozen knives I'd rather use than their "contractor 2X4".  It doesn't even come with a proper sharpener for the flat contractor pencils.

I agree entirely. Gimmick knives like these just take away from SOG's reputation as a serious knife maker. It's like they have a 9 year old in charge of their design department or something. :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:56:18 PM

I agree entirely. Gimmick knives like these just take away from SOG's reputation as a serious knife maker. It's like they have a 9 year old in charge of their design department or something. :P

So Bob you have one on the way then  :pok: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:26 AM

All they need to do is strap on a big ol' gaudy set of pliers to the side and I'm all over it buddy! :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:57:49 PM

All they need to do is strap on a big ol' gaudy set of pliers to the side and I'm all over it buddy! :multi:

Silly of me Bob , I forgot even a knife with a bit exchanger & bottle opener (like E series LM knives ) aint a tool in Bob land  :P :D. what if the SOG had a spring loaded net & a harpoon attachment would that get into "Club Bob" :P :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:04:11 PM

Silly of me Bob , I forgot even a knife with a bit exchanger & bottle opener (like E series LM knives ) aint a tool in Bob land  :P :D. what if the SOG had a spring loaded net & a harpoon attachment would that get into "Club Bob" :P :D

Club Bob has a rigorous set of criteria but I do believe that would qualify. :D

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 03:29:26 PM
Well, I don't care what anyone sez. I think that this one is neat.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 03:36:56 PM

Dtrain

It's good to see someone likes it.  :tu:

I personally think it is hideous though.  :D
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:41:39 PM

Dtrain

Do not mind me Dtrain I just paid for my Victorinox Autotool  :o :D, I REALLY like unconventional MT's. If I liked knives as much as MT's I would be looking at these odd SOGs , maybe. I think the muscle car one was very unusual knife.

[/quote]

Club Bob has a rigorous set of criteria but I do believe that would qualify. :D
[/quote]

:D :D :D I would like to see that criteria Bob  :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:46:19 PM by MultiMat »

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 05:25:15 PM
No issue at all. I do think that if a "Theme" knife, so to speak is done well with quality mamterials it can draw the casual user into the world of quality cutlery/multi-tools and away from the "$5.99" Iron Mongery.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21