Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber dual force

Tsquare · 162 · 23634

us Offline Tsquare

Gerber dual force
on: July 11, 2021, 05:14:59 AM
     Has anyone heard any news about this new tool?  I found some pics of it while looking for info on the curl.  Might be next years big tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Gerber dual force
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 09:30:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up. First I hear of it, but I haven't been lurking online for Gerber tools of late. Interesting pliers...got to get one to see what its all about once it hits the market.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 11:39:11 AM
Very little information online, but here is a pic:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 07:32:29 PM
If they manage to improve quality of cutters on these  and i will buy them asap, founded few more pics of it and it looks pretty neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 07:38:28 PM
Well it seems it has no cutters so i will be buying this soon as it gets on sale cause i love idea of CenterDrive based MT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 01:15:13 AM
Loaded up Chrome just so I could translate the French language website.

https://www.oxygenesportsnature.org/gerber-dual-force-nouveau-multitool-pleine-grandeur-de-gerber-gear/

Looks like a BO version is coming too.

In addition to the previously featured Gerber Stake Out (Stake Out Camp Tool) multitool, which was created for camping and hiking, Gerber Gear has provided a more comprehensive tool - a model called the Gerber Dual-Force. The novelty is made in the style of the Center-Drive line. The new product includes 12 tools, including an oversized, reinforced adjustable collet, and an oversized Axis Tech collapsible bit holder up to 85mm in length. When folded, the multitool will be approximately 121mm long and no more than 21.3mm thick, with a total weight of approximately 340 grams. In addition to the aforementioned tools, the Dual-Force multitool also provides an 83mm locking stainless steel blade, wood saw, single sided file end, 20cm folding ruler and three standard replacement bits included, two of which are housed in special folding slots. The basic set of Gerber Dual-Force, in addition to the multitool itself, will also include a cloth pouch with a universal holder. MSRP for the base kit is approximately $ 81. In addition, the manufacturers also provide kits with additional bit sets and multi-tools in an all-black version. It will be possible to place an order for a new product through the official Gerber Gear website. manufacturers also provide kits with additional bit sets and multi-tools in an all-black version. It will be possible to place an order for a new product through the official Gerber Gear website. manufacturers also provide kits with additional bit sets and multi-tools in an all-black version. It will be possible to place an order for a new product through the official Gerber Gear website.

Folks, we're looking at my new farm work tool.  I really like my Center-Drive, but it lacks a wood saw (which other farm work tools; such as my Rebar and Wave; and both SwissTools have) and Gerber's carbide cutters seem to not be designed to handle extended cutting of steel wire, given they shattered in BOTH my Center Drive and MP600ST; and required pricey replacements. On the other hand, I've only had to replace LM cutters because they wore out--and they were half the cost. But, I loved the center-axis bit driver and one-hand pliers. These days, it's what I prefer when doing equipment maintenance and general tinkering, since I rarely need a saw or scissors doing that.

The blunt nose pliers are more suited for hard use. Looks like there are fixed cutters, both in the form of a wire shear in the pliers jaws, and a standard cutter beneath the pivot.  The saw, I'm hoping will be good.

A few small complaints. I like the ability to hold three bits (since mostly everything I usually handle is #2 Phillips, T-20 Torx, or T-27 Torx); but an awl would've been nice. On the other hand--no can opener, no bottle opener! I can always pick up a Climber (or better yet, Pioneer X) for the awl, openers, and scissors.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 03:01:37 AM
If the upcoming Gerber Dual-Force weighs 340 grams (about 12 ounces), it will be too heavy for my on-body EDC.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 04:53:42 AM
I would probably buy one of these over a centerdrive.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 07:11:19 AM
Interesting tool  :like: Think i will have to get one eventually  :D

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 01:26:58 PM
So am I correct in thinking this is the first mainstream multitool manufacturing company offering of a MT with slip joint plier head? I'm guess that is why they haven't included a wire cutting section?

I wonder whether this will work similar to the Stanley self adjusting slip joint pliers (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Self-Slip-Joint-Plier/dp/B0001IW8BU/ref=asc_df_B0001IW8BU/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=499390094390&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9559867324562522932&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006976&hvtargid=pla-1264978884167&psc=1)

I have a pair of those, and it is an interesting concept.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 02:36:39 AM
So am I correct in thinking this is the first mainstream multitool manufacturing company offering of a MT with slip joint plier head? ...

Schrade (USA) made one for Sears back in the day.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 02:40:22 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

And what surprises me is that both appear to use a laminated jaw.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 02:40:51 PM
As does the Stanley tool.

I think maybe it is to do with the mechanism they use for the slip joint, where the outer layer of metal of one half of the plier head holds the pivot on either side of the other half of the plier head (i.e. sandwiching it), rather than the normal side to side layout of the two plier heads.

Maybe I am mistaken but I would think this would mean they can't stamp the plier heads, and to make them a single piece, would have to forge them? So maybe to keep down costs, they go for the alternative which is to use the laminated design.

How well does the Shrade one function compared to modern day 'normal' MT plier heads?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 05:16:06 PM

The Craftsman 45471 was a rebadge of the Schrade ST5

Other MTs with slip joint pliers that I know of (but not really mainstream manufacturers):
Wichard and the similar Kita and Depanneur (smallish MTs with fixed pliers)
Sheffield  12020 19-in-1 (large, heavy MT)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 05:24:24 AM
OH WOW

I want one of those Shrade tools!  I love that Bit driver    :o    :ahhh

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 04:13:06 AM
This is probably the best thing Gerbar has made in years...years...

Did anyone else notice how perfectly the lockdown pry compliments this tool??

Buying one as soon as it's out 100%

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 08:22:45 AM
OH WOW

I want one of those Shrade tools!  I love that Bit driver    :o    :ahhh

:pok:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87649.0.html

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 08:24:43 AM
This is probably the best thing Gerbar has made in years...years...

Did anyone else notice how perfectly the lockdown pry compliments this tool??

Buying one as soon as it's out 100%

Hey, you're right  :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 03:35:27 PM
 :like:
Finally a new design! :ahhh

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 03:43:07 PM
I really like that one. It will probably be my first Gerber.  The slip joint plier is something I really want and the rest of the tools are the perfect minimalist kit for me. And, contrary to what seems to be the opinion here, I think it does have a wire cutters - it's just placed behind the pivot, between the handles.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 01:18:23 AM
So cool :ahhh I like the color scheme as well :like: A slip joint tool (as already stated above) is not something we see much and I can't wait to see what these look like when they come out  :ahhh :popcorn: :like:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 03:07:17 AM
So cool :ahhh I like the color scheme as well :like: A slip joint tool (as already stated above) is not something we see much and I can't wait to see what these look like when they come out  :ahhh :popcorn: :like:

I'm super stoked about this one. With out question, If quality it is good, it will make my top 5 most irreplaceable multitool  list.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 03:43:33 AM
I really like that one. It will probably be my first Gerber.  The slip joint plier is something I really want and the rest of the tools are the perfect minimalist kit for me. And, contrary to what seems to be the opinion here, I think it does have a wire cutters - it's just placed behind the pivot, between the handles.

By looking at the picture that's also my conclusion, and it also appears to have a "hard-wire notch" so, no more pliers binding or exploding "rotatable/replaceable" cutters... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 09:04:12 AM
Found it listed at a store in the UK for 89.95 pounds. Not sure if that is gonna be the final retail price, but that gives us a hint at least.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 09:05:10 AM
By looking at the picture that's also my conclusion, and it also appears to have a "hard-wire notch" so, no more pliers binding or exploding "rotatable/replaceable" cutters... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

That would be good. Even though this design limits the uses of the wire cutters even further.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 09:11:53 AM

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #26 on: July 30, 2021, 11:55:51 AM
Alas, no awl. I hope it’s decent quality. I’ll have to get one to try out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 12:56:57 PM

I like how it looks like a simple working tool, instead of going all tactical. It could have a double-ended bit, to make room for short implements on one handle. As long as they don't do what they did with the Flik. :pok:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 12:57:57 PM
I'm looking forward to the Plus version with scissors in two years. :salute:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 01:09:49 PM
That would be good. Even though this design limits the uses of the wire cutters even further.

Truth, but I still prefer it over the non notched or the tungsten carbide cutters Gerber uses. :facepalm:
 :cheers:

I wonder how big of a kit would be to pair it to a Centerdrive!?!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%