Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition overload

us Offline BadMechanic

Maxpedition overload
on: April 26, 2022, 03:03:30 PM
My Jumbo Versipack  with 2 EDC pouches came in yesterday. Also have the universal  holster and 3 mag carrier to put inside.

I love maxpedition products. Already have 2 backpacks plus 3 various sized pouches. This one will be more of a EDC. More or less to keep in truck and not carry it. Wanted it small enough in case I had to.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Maxpedition overload
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 03:20:25 PM
Can't fault you as they make great products.  I have several myself, pouches that is.  They look great.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 07:03:08 PM
They can be good, but they do go a bit overkill sometimes and most of their kit ends up bulkier than it needs to be, or is practical.
I loved my 3x5 pouch, but it just stuck out way too far for daily wear, in the end.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 10:21:36 PM
Had my versipack for 6 years and it's still flawless, served me well on two trips around Orlando themeparks and is a solid EDC bag for the essentials, with some room for pick up items  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 12:24:52 AM
I am also a bit of a Maxpedition junkie.  I couldn't list all of the stuff I had if you put a gun to my head, but some of the notables are:

Entity 27- my regular EDC backpack
Neatfreak- my Work gear bag
Tactical Operator laptop bag- my previous EDC bag
Sitka- my outoor adventure bag
Fatboy S- honestly I have never carried this one, and I don't know why

I have also had two Thermite bags and despite really liking them, I have sold them both over the years. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:57 AM
Yeah after trying a few pocket organizers I was hooked. I just put  my work tools (that I carry around) in an EDC pouch.  Ill get a picture when I go in later.

Still gathering  things for my verispack so I can start carrying  that.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 02:27:18 AM
Not many tools  but we can do alot with just these.

-2.5mm to 6mm allen wrenches
-custom T handle 5mm
-1/4in drive ratchet  with 10mm socket
-13mm ratcheting wrench
-knipex retaining clip pliers (cant see, left side in back)
-LM sidekick
-1/4in drive extension with 13mm socket 
-Doyle ratcheting stubby  screwdriver (also uses nut driver to remove 8mm bolts to change the neoprene roller seen above)
-zip ties
-10mm ratcheting wrench.

Before I had a small canvass bag and hate shifting through to find something. This is much better. My OCD thanks me.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 03:10:58 AM by BadMechanic »

Online GrouchoM

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 03:49:37 AM
Hmmm.  I'm ready on this stuff and I've had poor experiences. I have a sling bag by them (Malaga) that the front clip needed replacement within just a few years of very light, weekend only, use. Now, after only a bit more use, it has a very small hole worn in. I don't camp nor seriously hike. I used it walking in the city and on short woods walks (≈3 milers).  That bag's in my closet and won't be used by me anymore. Also,  my pocket organizer hasn't held up well.  The front stretch pocket webbing has breakages after only light use.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 03:56:26 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I have a 3x5 notebook and its been in my pocket ( cargo ) for work every day since getting it.  Not one issue.  I also have 2 Mini pouches and both get carried very other and neither has issues.  I have a EDC pouch that does look well used as it has been but no tears or problems. 

A friend gave me a Monsoon Gear slinger that was very well used and it has a hole on bottom and noticeable damage.  Its very usable but no doubt shows its age a wear.  I've never used it since its not quite my style and its seems to be a very specific bag. 

I would not hesitate to buy their stuff but its also nice to know they are not indestructible.   
Esse Quam Videri

Online GrouchoM

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 10:14:17 PM
I must have bad luck with their gear. The other brands I've used held up far better to far more usage. Those other brands weren't military looking, just outdoorsy.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:16:30 PM
Hmmm.  I'm ready on this stuff and I've had poor experiences. I have a sling bag by them (Malaga) that the front clip needed replacement within just a few years of very light, weekend only, use. Now, after only a bit more use, it has a very small hole worn in. I don't camp nor seriously hike. I used it walking in the city and on short woods walks (≈3 milers).  That bag's in my closet and won't be used by me anymore. Also,  my pocket organizer hasn't held up well.  The front stretch pocket webbing has breakages after only light use.

That's surprising to me as all of mine have held up remarkably well.  At least one of my Thermites was mistaken by the buyer as being brand new, despite me telling them that it had been worn/carried for about a year.

Still, I have heard of other people having similar problems to those you are describing, and I don't doubt them one bit.  All I can say is that I am glad I have not had those experiences myself, as these bags are not cheap!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 11:58:26 PM
I must have bad luck with their gear. The other brands I've used held up far better to far more usage. Those other brands weren't military looking, just outdoorsy.

Sorry you've had that experience! I've had my organiser since 2010/2011 and it looks new despite riding in my school/work bags the entire time. What were you putting in the mesh pocket?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Online GrouchoM

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 02:24:03 AM
Sorry you've had that experience! I've had my organiser since 2010/2011 and it looks new despite riding in my school/work bags the entire time. What were you putting in the mesh pocket?
These closed nail clippers using a lot of caution. They've been carried in other things incident free.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 03:35:45 PM
I'm always glad to hear of everyones experiences with gear.  Again thank you for posting.  Like boss said, I'm glad I've had a good experience with my MaxPed gear.  I dont have many other packs or pouches however a Condor gadget pouch I have on my work tool belt is also doing great.  I got it before I got my MaxPed gear and its seen constant carry time. 

Sorry your gear is not holding up as well as expected. 
Esse Quam Videri

Online GrouchoM

Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 04:39:38 AM

I'm always glad to hear of everyones experiences with gear.  Again thank you for posting.  Like boss said, I'm glad I've had a good experience with my MaxPed gear.  I dont have many other packs or pouches however a Condor gadget pouch I have on my work tool belt is also doing great.  I got it before I got my MaxPed gear and its seen constant carry time. 

Sorry your gear is not holding up as well as expected.
Thanks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 07:30:27 PM
Have you tried contacting Maxpedition about these issues? 

I've heard their customer service can be good, but I've also heard the opposite.  I have no direct experience with them in that regard, and most of what I've heard either way is the usual "my friend's brother's cousin's uncle...." type stuff.

It would be good to have some first hand accounts.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 07:33:01 PM
For example, here is a comment on a YT video I posted a while back:

Keisha K.
Maxpedition has a long history of ZIPPERS BLOWING OUT. They routinely refuse to honor their so-called "lifetime warranty" (check out the many negative reviews on Amazon for proof). Their packs are very durable, but what good is that when your zipper is blown? And all Maxpedition packs are overpriced. There are many other companies that offer superior products for less money. 5.11, Mystery Ranch, Blackhawk, Voddoo Tactical, Eberlestock, and Condor are a few of the better companies. I recommend the 5.11 Tactical RUSH72 pack which comes in 7 different colors (ranging from multicam to grey - if you want to look greyman) and costs only $138 on Amazon. Mystery Ranch also makes some very cool packs.

Don't know the person, don't know if their issues are legit or something they read somewhere and decided it was the truth.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 08:22:56 PM
Always sad to hear when people have issues, though as I've said my maxped products are 4,  6 and 11 years old respectively and like new still, QC issues are an inevitability in any mass produced product. It's a shame if the CS doesn't make things right, but I've no experience with that personally.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 08:25:45 PM
Always worth a shot to call and see what they say.  We've heard some first hand accounts of amazing CS from a wide variety of companies.  You wont know till ya try.  Best to you. 
Esse Quam Videri

Online GrouchoM

Reply #19 on: May 03, 2022, 02:31:31 AM
I contacted them and used them when the buckle broke. Service went adequately. But, then I noticed the wear/hole.  Given the bag's youth and gentle lifestyle, it aged like lettuce in summer. I didn't contact them about the organizer as shipping it in (if they'd fix it) would cost much of the cost of the pouch.  I switched out of their slingbag into a bag that loaded a much tougher life and is over 15 years old,  but is still in quite good shape (no longer made bag by Overland Equipment).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 04:04:41 PM
Thats unfortunate.  Really bummed for you this happened.   
Esse Quam Videri

Online GrouchoM

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 12:10:08 AM
Thanks, Aloha

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 12:23:44 AM
Yeah, that really sucks.  You pay a lot for these bags, it really is terrible when they don't look after stuff like this.

Def

Online GrouchoM

Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 04:30:26 AM
Thanks, Def

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 01:39:27 PM
Sorry just seeing this.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience  with Maxpedition. They arent cheap, so I can understand the frustration.

Online GrouchoM

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2022, 02:41:33 AM
Thanks, BadMechanic.  It's not the cost the bothers me, it's failing (by a long way) to live up to expectations.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 26, 2022, 04:12:44 AM
I am possibly looking to swap out my wallet for one of the smaller Maxpedition pocket 3x5 pouches. How bulky are these and would it stick it out of my pocket?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 06:54:18 AM
Just seeing this sorry.  The Micro pictured is 3.5x5.5 and about an inch thick.  The great think is the organization of this little pouch.  The bad thing is the organization of the pouch.  If you can keep it slim it very well could work for you. 

This is my 1st aid plus some other wanted items I carry in there.  I suspend it off a clip off my belt.  I could just as easily pocket it in my 5/11 pants.  In jeans it might be a little snug front or back as I have it loaded. 

It would really come down to what will you put in it and are your pockets taller than 5.5 inches? 

The grab handle would be great for retrieval tho. 

* IMG_6617.jpg (Filesize: 118.79 KB)

* IMG_6618.jpg (Filesize: 96.14 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 10:17:13 AM
Very nice, Aloha.

Yes Ive noticed having 6 of these pouches (in different sizes), its easy to overload them if youre not careful. They wont break, they will just be extremely bulky.

I used to carry a Fatty pouch in my cargo pocket. Worked well. I could climb ladders or kneel down with no issues at all. Much bigger than what some people might carry, but it worked for me.

I will agree the micro is great for FAK.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 03:59:22 PM
Its become my go to pouch these days.  I intended to use it as a wallet but ended up liking it better for my FAK+.  Spare AAA, hank of paracord, eye glass kit, few meds, etc. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD