Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Video Games

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Video Games
on: December 27, 2023, 10:42:34 PM
Anybody doing  any video gaming lately? I've had a bit more free time lately, and I've been replaying the old Blizzard games. Also starting to play a little Chess online again.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Video Games
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 11:01:48 PM
I retro game, don't own anything new, last new thing was my Wii. Been playing Halo 2 lately and got a new 2600 game released by Atari this year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 12:23:29 AM
When you say old Blizzard games.....

How old are we talking?  I cut my teeth on the original Warcraft and couldn't wait to get into StarCraft.

I still love it but I've been playing Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds lately.  It's much the same thing but with bigger maps, a bigger view and Star Wars characters instead of Kerrigan.

Every now and then I also get the urge to load up Unreal Tournament, either the GOTY version or 2004.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 01:20:14 AM
I'm working my way through all the Starcrafts at the moment, and then I'll circle back for WC3. I think I beat WC2 once, but not sure I feel like going back to that old of an interface. I played a bit of Galactic Battlegrounds as a kid, but I was more into SC and C&C.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 01:48:40 AM by BPRoberts »

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 03:07:15 AM
Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Star Citizen, Starfield, Elite... lots of spacey games.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 03:23:27 AM
How is Star Citizen? I think I backed it way back at the start, but I don't know that I ever played it. I should see if I have a key sitting around somewhere, I guess.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 07:33:54 PM
How is Star Citizen? I think I backed it way back at the start, but I don't know that I ever played it. I should see if I have a key sitting around somewhere, I guess.
It's janky as all heck, and then some, but when it's working it's pretty decent. Slight learning curve, a few things aren't especially intuitive, but I've certainly sunk a lot of hours into it...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 11:57:08 PM
Playing Galactic Battlegrounds as a kid?

Ouch.

Now I feel old.

I suppose there's not much point to talking about the games I played as a kid, like Pong on the Telstar or Pitfall, Laser Blast and Missile Command on the Atari 2600.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 01:28:32 PM
I'm mostly on Cities Skylines (original, don't have the horsepower for the new one yet) or 7 Days to Die when I do actually fire up something.

the other game I play is collecting free giveaways on Epic/Steam/indiegala/GOG/etc.

My library has grown about 50 games over the holiday break...

Also using playnite as a centralized tracker for all my games.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 03:09:11 PM
I remember going to Target (back when they had such things) and getting Galactic Battlegrounds with my Christmas money when I was 12 or 13. I think my favorite  Star Wars strategy game was Force Commander, which I believe is the first thing I ever played online (for about 15 minutes, if that).

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2023, 06:28:27 PM
I play sometimes when i can and i have around 600 games on Steam, also have games on GOG, Epic, EA, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo so i guess my game count overall goes near 1000 games. Nowdays i try play Battlebit remastered and Minecraft (with my daughters), sometimes too BF 2042 and Elite Dangerous.
Also im bit sucker for 2,5D RPG games and 2D rpg platformers like Castelevania: Symphony Of The Night, UnEpic, SteamWorld Dig, Aveyond games, FF 1-6 and etc..

I had few years ago C-64 but it didnt feel same as when i was kid. Sometumes just for nostalgia i play Command & Conquer games, Ultima games, Myst, Monkey Islands,Broken Swords and etc...

Im planning to get 2 latest Syberia games, Syberia 3 and Syberia: The World Before

Only Tools Matters

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2023, 08:30:05 PM
I played Battlebit a bit when it first came out. Refreshing to play a new game without tons of microtransactions and minimal grinding. The older I get, the less patience I have for games that make you work to be able to actually enjoy them.

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2023, 08:58:07 PM
I played Battlebit a bit when it first came out. Refreshing to play a new game without tons of microtransactions and minimal grinding. The older I get, the less patience I have for games that make you work to be able to actually enjoy them.
Over time i have learned just adapt for games. I dont need fancy graphics or realistic games if playability is trash or too complicated for practical use i just wish that on fps game its playable even with some balancing problems and on other games story and controllability takes 100-0 win for me. I tried to play new FF7 but i immidietly hated it bottom of my heart cause imo they ruined game with that new combat system.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2023, 05:47:02 AM
When I get the chance, I stick to retro games.  I still have my original Atari 2600 and my original Gen 1 Sega Genesis.  The newest I go is PS3 and XBox 360.  I do like me some Starcraft though.  It's been a few years since I've replayed it.  It might be time to do it again.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 03:27:02 AM
The latest console I have is the Wii.

Prior to that was the original Nintendo.

Prior to that was the Atari 2600.

Prior to that was a Telstar.

Prior to that we banged rocks together for entertainment.

On average I buy a new game console about every 20 years or so.    :D

Def

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2024, 03:42:57 AM

Prior to that we banged rocks together for entertainment.

Def

:rofl: :rofl:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 01:17:23 AM
Currently I mostly just play Fortnite with my girlfriend on Switch, for singleplayer I play The Long Dark, sometimes some Pokemon. Since my old boi PC became too unstable to game I was basically reduced to just the Switch for gaming atm. Hoping to get a ROG Ally in the near future which should open up my gaming options again, miss playing killing floor 2 and Dishonored 2.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 01:29:03 AM
I get my butt kicked in Fortnite and Roblox by my 6 year old grandson  :D

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2024, 06:37:36 PM
I still have my working Nintendo systems. Honestly I was far more into pinball than video games.

* IMG_2089.jpg (Filesize: 85.26 KB)
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 10:26:16 PM
Nice!  I have the NES and SNES on display but the GB is behind a glass case.

Pinballs were my goto when I was a kid.  There's a place about 20min from us that has a lot of school video games and pinball machines.  The even have some really old school pinballs.  I need to take a picture when the wife and I happen to go again.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2024, 11:31:46 AM
I went to the massive arcade in Paris with my sister when she was visiting, hundreds of games, but not one single pinball machine. I was absolutely gutted.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #21 on: January 13, 2024, 04:16:31 PM
I went to the massive arcade in Paris with my sister when she was visiting, hundreds of games, but not one single pinball machine. I was absolutely gutted.

I enjoyed pinball from the very first one I ever saw. It was an electromechanical machine called Big Ben. In pinball, every game you play and every machine is different.
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline Kevdynamite

• Sparky: king of the trades
Reply #22 on: January 21, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
When diablo 2 was remastered a few years ago, I bought a new computer and monitor just to play a game that had gripped me tight when I was in junior high and high school 20 years ago. It was the only game I ever really got super addicted to, and thr remaster still has that power over me  :D

With a new baby and a threenager, i only really play handheld in bed for an hour or so a few times a week. Bought a steam deck and a switch and really only play diablo on those too  :whistle:

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2024, 11:30:26 PM
Well lets see, since I finally have a bit more time for gaming

Diablo 2 resurrected - in progress
Diablo 3 - in progress
Spyro Reignited trilogy - only Gnasty Gnorc left
Ape Escape - about 50 percent done
Warcraft 3 Reign of chaos - done
Warcraft 3 Frozen throne - Sentinels campaign about halfway done

things that are currently waiting:
Horizon Forbidden west
God of war (1st one with Norse gods)
Age of Mythology
Serious Sam
Serious Sam 2
Warhammer 40k Boltgun
Finaly Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Starcraft 2
Doom
Doom Eternal
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Battlefield 5

and yes, I had years to make that list but no time to actually go through it. well some are nostalgic replays, but still missed 'em
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2024, 02:29:29 AM
Some solid games in that list.

I did the Kickstarter for Stormgate, and they're doing a beta this weekend. Beta feels a bit generous, considering it's only got 2/3 of the factions, neither one is finished, among other things. Still pretty fun. Right now it feels sort of halfway between Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2. There's several promising RTS games on the calendar this year, so I'm hopeful. I like the old Blizz games as much as (probably more than) the next guy, but we're closing on a decade since the last expansion pack came out, and even longer since the original game. Bigger than the gap between SC1 and SC2, and we at least got WC3 in there, along with various C&C games and others.

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: February 04, 2024, 01:50:17 PM
to be fair, i wouldn't want to see a new Blizzard game until they get their act back together

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 04, 2024, 02:18:56 PM
Yeah, we'll see what Microsoft does with them. I'm not overly hopeful. Even once they get rid of all the smurf, they'd still have to replace the talent they lost over the last 5 years or so. Microsoft has generally been decent to the game studios they've acquired AFAIK, but I think the Blizz acquisition was more for the IP than the talent.

hr Offline styx

Reply #27 on: February 05, 2024, 12:53:48 AM
considering the leaks also have MS mentioning Nintendo as a potential purchase, it probably is an IP thing. I just hope MS won't start pulling some exclusivity smurf so you can only use their platforms and their launchers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%