Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

World Driving Tour '24

Poll

What month works for you for a 30 day Challenge?

February
April
May
June
Other?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: World Driving Tour '24
Reply #60 on: January 30, 2024, 03:57:17 PM
That sounds like a good mod Antti.  I actually wouldn't mind modding my CD with the Rebar file.  I love the diamond file on the PST II as well.
Barry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #61 on: January 30, 2024, 04:56:20 PM
That sounds like a good mod Antti.  I actually wouldn't mind modding my CD with the Rebar file.  I love the diamond file on the PST II as well.
It seems easier to make PST2 file to CD than Rebar since if i mod it Rebar there is too bit too much play for precise filing.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #62 on: January 30, 2024, 06:34:19 PM
Post pics when you do it Antti.  I'd like to try it. 
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #63 on: January 31, 2024, 02:14:09 AM
Getting ready!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Barry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #64 on: January 31, 2024, 01:03:08 PM
Day 1 of 30

Wohoo first one and first day

Today my Center Drive did see some modding and now i have Diamond file & Saw on Center Drive. Here is pictures of my project

Now i call this Centerman

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #65 on: January 31, 2024, 01:12:41 PM
Antti, that's my dream Center Drive!  Thanks for posting that. 
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #66 on: January 31, 2024, 01:16:19 PM
Day 1: Here's my entry, a well used model I've had for quite awhile.  It's been my go to whenever I've needed a bit driver.  It's been used hard and has always passed the test. 

* 1000003942-01.jpg (Filesize: 328.83 KB)
Barry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #67 on: January 31, 2024, 01:21:29 PM
Antti, that's my dream Center Drive!  Thanks for posting that.
This mod was actually simplier than i affraided. You only need sharpie and dremel.
Both tools fit perfectly and no play on tools when locked, it took 30min to do all so no difficult offcourse without dremel it takes more time.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #68 on: January 31, 2024, 02:16:46 PM
Even better!  I have a Dremel so it will be easier.  Thank you Antti!
Barry

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: January 31, 2024, 03:01:25 PM
Day 1

Since Armbars are allowed, that's what I will be carrying during weekdays.  On weekends, I'll carry a Center Drive or Dual Force.  Here's today's carry - an Armbar Slim.  You can tell I have carried it before due to the pocket dangler. 

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #70 on: January 31, 2024, 03:10:01 PM
Even better!  I have a Dremel so it will be easier.  Thank you Antti!
There is few parts what you need to grind on file including that part painted black, just compare to orginal tools for seeing where need to grind. I made error and didnt first grind that down one, i had blade open upon install and after i screwed i noticed i cant close file since it has too much material.

Saw has only upside to grind, especially make sure that circled part is enough grinded otherwise it wont lock ( also learned that by trial and error)

So it may take less than 30 min to make mod, i just recommend testing those tools before grinding too much, i used drill 4,5mm bit to pivots (if really stiff i can just screw it and it usually go throught) but like i said first grind near that were you used sharpie and test before grinding more also after that take small layer and test again to find sweet spot for lock and no play part. If you take too much tool will have play when locked so be careful on that part.

Otherwise its just grinding tools same as orginal tools

Only Tools Matters

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #71 on: January 31, 2024, 03:42:39 PM
Day 1

Grocery chain I work for has a lot of older stores, this one is 42. Uses regular toilets rather than the ones we normally are in big businesses. Wire holding the chain to the flap came loose, just need to be twisted better. In reality needs a whole new handle but this will work for now. Just noticed I have surface rust on this CD and it's barely been use, basically new. Dang bead blasted finishes.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #72 on: January 31, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
I came here with the hope of seeing someone drive across the world in a year…  :D

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #73 on: January 31, 2024, 04:47:25 PM
I came here with the hope of seeing someone drive across the world in a year…  :D
That would be something, also using MT with driver whole year while driving around world

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #74 on: January 31, 2024, 05:17:43 PM
If I could if float my Beetle to your location Frenchephaistos!!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #75 on: January 31, 2024, 05:18:50 PM
I'm surprised by that David!  I didn't think they'd put up like that. 
Day 1

Grocery chain I work for has a lot of older stores, this one is 42. Uses regular toilets rather than the ones we normally are in big businesses. Wire holding the chain to the flap came loose, just need to be twisted better. In reality needs a whole new handle but this will work for now. Just noticed I have surface rust on this CD and it's barely been use, basically new. Dang bead blasted finishes.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Barry

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #76 on: January 31, 2024, 05:30:48 PM
I'm surprised by that David!  I didn't think they'd put up like that.
I feel it's been a Gerber thing and has been for a while. I live in a high humidity state that doesn't help the situation. I'm sure I can take some fine steel wool and it'll come off. Maybe a fine coating of oil will help repel it.

us Offline JonesE

Reply #77 on: January 31, 2024, 05:32:12 PM
Day 1

Here is my BO Center Drive I will be using for this challenge. I used the bit driver today to tighten some loose screws in my window of my office.

Great mod Antti!  :like: :like: :like:

us Offline JonesE

Reply #78 on: January 31, 2024, 05:36:41 PM
I feel it's been a Gerber thing and has been for a while. I live in a high humidity state that doesn't help the situation. I'm sure I can take some fine steel wool and it'll come off. Maybe a fine coating of oil will help repel it.

David, I had the same issue on my SS Center Drive. Mine rusted on the pivots. I cleaned it up with some light sand paper. It came out ok, but I have lost the tool. My recommendation would be to soak  it overnight in Evaporust. I got a quart of it off of the big river site. It works really well and doesn’t seam to harm the finish.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #79 on: January 31, 2024, 05:45:56 PM
David after it is rust-free, you might also spray it down with Boeshield T-9, which leaves a very thin (and I think pleasing) waxy protective layer.

Powernoodle Day 1

These are the combatants:  Dual Force, Center Drive, Armbar Slim and Armbar Trade.  I'll prolly focus mostly on the Dual Force, which gets less love on MTO than the Center Drive.

Mrs. Powernoodle and I are trying a new food service today.  We have had Factor meals delivered for a long time, and just wanted to give something else a try. [Edit:  I just noticed that the box says it contains rats.  I'm not sure we'll be liking this one].

and now i have Diamond file & Saw on Center Drive.

That is quite awesome, sir. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 05:54:32 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #80 on: January 31, 2024, 06:07:55 PM

When I got my MP in 1994 I hand buffed it with Flitz Metal Polish and over the years have reapplied maybe twice.  That's 30 years and no rust in south Florida wind, rain, and sea air.  It was my EDC for many years and only the bit extender that I didn't Flitz shows any sign of rust.  :cheers:

* MPday18.jpg (Filesize: 110.16 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #81 on: January 31, 2024, 06:17:01 PM
WDT '24 Day 01
Is there a badge for either the Center Drive or the Dual Force yet?  That might help me decide which one to use as primary tool for the month, or if we get a badge regardless of which one we use I might switch off, or I might carry both with the CD on belt and the DF in my bag.  In any case I will take pics of both whenever I can.  I had thought the DF was bigger but they feel about the same weight and they use the same sheath.

* Gerber WDT '24 01.jpg (Filesize: 80.64 KB)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:22:57 PM by Alan K. »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #82 on: January 31, 2024, 06:42:14 PM
WDT '24 Day 01
Is there a badge for either the Center Drive or the Dual Force yet?  That might help me decide which one to use as primary tool for the month, or if we get a badge regardless of which one we use I might switch off, or I might carry both with the CD on belt and the DF in my bag.  In any case I will take pics of both whenever I can.  I had thought the DF was bigger but they feel about the same weight and they use the same sheath.
There is badge for Center Drive, i have it.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #83 on: January 31, 2024, 07:28:43 PM
Alan there's a Center Drive Badge already.  I'm going to see if we can get another badge done up for the other tools. 

Great tips on keeping the rust away.  My son he has issues with his Center Drive at sea when he was in the Coast Guard and had to keep his oiled up.
Barry

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #84 on: January 31, 2024, 07:54:49 PM
Is there a badge for either the Center Drive or the Dual Force yet?  That might help me decide which one to use as primary tool for the month

In post #42, His Lordship SurgeUk opined that the Center Drive badge could apply to any Gerber with the center drive functionality.  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #85 on: January 31, 2024, 08:03:16 PM
Thanks Powernoodle! 
Barry

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #86 on: January 31, 2024, 11:42:11 PM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #87 on: February 01, 2024, 04:05:30 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh. Great start everyone!!
Barry

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #88 on: February 01, 2024, 01:58:55 PM
Powernoodle Day 2

Yesterday I used the Dual Force to open a LNIB Leatherman ARC I bought from sir_mike.  He's an excellent seller, and no one is better at entombing a package in tape.  The only "problem" is that I won't be carrying the ARC until March, but that gives me something to look forward to.

A few initial thoughts on the Dual Force:  the first thing one sees is that the slip joint plier is unique in the MT world.  Having adjustable pliers is not something I need often, but I carry more for "just in case" scenarios and they could come in handy.  I wonder a little if the teeth are sharp enough for a good bite, and whether they will be durable.  I hope to do grabby things with them during the course of the Challenge.  I also appreciate the giant outside tools.  The file and saw are Big Mommas, as is the reach on the center driver.  The blade is also large, and the same one employed on the Center Drive.  I like the two, plastic bit holders and don't foresee that they would ever be a problem.  Compared to Leatherman and Victorinox, Gerber MTs tend to have a "pot metal" feel to them, but I have never known them to be less durable than their competitors.  Being somewhat loosey goosey in their design and construction, Gerbers may also be better suited for dirty environments and still functioning after being dropped in the mud.  I also love the center driver on the Dual Force, which is the closest thing you will get to a real screwdriver on an MT IMO.  The Dual Force is reasonably-priced at $84 on Amazon.  Compare that to the Center Drive at $134-ish with bits, which I did not buy until I saw it online for under $100.  There are a few differences the tool sets, and I would probably rather have the Center Drive's needle nose pliers with wire cutter.  But one could do just fine with nothing but the Dual Force on his belt, as it has all of the major food groups covered.  I carry mine in a vertical pocket on my daily 5.11 Taclite pro pants.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #89 on: February 01, 2024, 02:05:39 PM
Those Dual Force pliers look like they'll grab pretty good PN.  The CD pliers are nice, but there are times that pliers body is too wide to be able to get into where you need to be.  I've seen the mod done, but I'm surprised Gerber hasn't offered a blunt nose version.  I was actually surprised at the size of the Dual Force.  I'll say this for Gerber: most of their lineup is definitely not dainty! 
I've got a couple pair of 511's and that pocket is nice for a knife or multitool.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD