Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who carries a backup light?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Who carries a backup light?
Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:01:50 PM
It seems that Fenix is still extremely popular...
- Terry

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:57 PM
It seems that Fenix is still extremely popular...
Deservedly so I think :)

There's enough variety and options to suit most need's/tastes, and they don't cost the earth even in the UK :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:39 PM
I agree that Fenix offers a lot for the money, are great at keeping up with new, well-engineered product, and are widely available just about anywhere.  However, after owning many of them, I feel that the same money can be invested in something a bit more durable and with a better UI.
- Terry

Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 10:17:36 PM
I agree that Fenix offers a lot for the money, are great at keeping up with new, well-engineered product, and are widely available just about anywhere.  However, after owning many of them, I feel that the same money can be invested in something a bit more durable and with a better UI.
Such as mate ???

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 10:23:00 PM
Well, NiteCore for one, keeping in mind that the problems I had with Fenix were generally with switches.  Twisties don't generally have durability issues.  Any UI that doesn't have strobe and SOS as an option is a better UI, IMO.  If SOS and/or strobe are options, they should be somehow kept where they don't get "in the way" of normal operation.

Don't take me wrong here, I highly respect Fenix and own several of them.
- Terry

Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:44 PM
Yeah I do feel that they place far too much emphasis on giving you too many options. And I agree the SOS/strobe functions should be somehow kept seperate :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 10:47:23 PM

I agree.

Fenix's are great lights for the cash, but after owning a few myself I actually find them pretty "boring".  I think I have been spoilt by Surefire TBH.
I'm back!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 11:17:22 PM
I think the PD and LD series of Fenix lights are great.  The SOS and strobe are included in an unobtrusive manner IMO - not in the way at all.  They have a good mix of lighting levels, and the two most commonly used ones (for me at least - lowest and 'turbo' output) are instantly available.  The only thing I'd want to add would be a momentary clicky.

I agree there are more interesting lights out there :)  Fenix make great users IMO.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:17 PM

Fenix's are great lights for the cash, but after owning a few myself I actually find them pretty "boring".  I think I have been spoilt by Surefire TBH.

The likes of Surefire, Novatac, Peak, etc. will do that to you.  We owe it to Fenix not to compare, for generally you get what you pay for.  I don't mind comparing Fenix to comparably-priced lights such as NiteCore, JetBeam, Lumapower, etc.

Peak is the only quality US flashlight company that has a model lineup with a variety comparable to Fenix, that I'm aware of.  Surefire could easily win me over with a couple of smart AA designs.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 11:29:19 PM
I think the PD and LD series of Fenix lights are great.  The SOS and strobe are included in an unobtrusive manner IMO - not in the way at all.  They have a good mix of lighting levels, and the two most commonly used ones (for me at least - lowest and 'turbo' output) are instantly available.  The only thing I'd want to add would be a momentary clicky.

I agree there are more interesting lights out there :)  Fenix make great users IMO.

Agreed.  The UI is fairly well thought out, but I prefer to be able to access low and turbo instantly with one hand, with my thumb on a very durable switch.
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 12:31:03 AM
While I still have my Fenix L0D on my keys I now also carry my Eagletac P10A.  I'm more than satisfied with it's performance.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 01:51:42 AM
My main light is either a cracked Novatac 120t or a Nightcore EZAA backed up with a Fenix E01.
N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 07:02:40 AM
Still carrying three lights everyday. My main EDC light for awhile now has been a Surefire LX2. I can't say enough good things about this light. My "2nd" EDC light at the moment is a RA Clicky 140C with the factory clip installed so I can use it on my hat if need be. My "3rd" and final light is a Fenix P1D CE on my keychain with a diffuser film on the lens for a nice floody beam.
"

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 07:04:25 PM

The likes of Surefire, Novatac, Peak, etc. will do that to you.  We owe it to Fenix not to compare, for generally you get what you pay for.  I don't mind comparing Fenix to comparably-priced lights such as NiteCore, JetBeam, Lumapower, etc.

Peak is the only quality US flashlight company that has a model lineup with a variety comparable to Fenix, that I'm aware of.  Surefire could easily win me over with a couple of smart AA designs.

Are they still just have cr lights? Why do they not make AA or AAA lights, is there a particular reason for that?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 07:57:59 PM
Surefire lead the lithium-powered flashlight market.  The CR123 battery power is a hallmark of Surefire.   I don't think they would have much reason to enter the AA market now, as flooded as it is.
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 03:21:49 PM
I'm fond of Surefire's as a duty lite . I respect Fenix , but prefer Nitecore . For EDC lites , right now , if doing it all over again , I would go with the Ra clicky . My most used task light is the Streamlight Stylus Pro .

Chris

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 07:02:50 AM
My main flashlight varies, but I always carry one.  During daylight hours, it is usually a 1AA or 1xCR123A LED light  -- sometimes an Inova X5.  After dark, I carry one or two 2xCR123A lights.

I always carry a 1AAA backup light, usually a 1AAA Peak Matterhorn 3-LED in stainless steel (shown below).  Sometimes, I carry an ARC AAA-P instead.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 02:41:55 PM
While my primary on-person EDC light is a Maratac AAA, on my keyring is a Photon Micro, while my displaced Fenix E01 sits beside my keyring on my Victorinox belt hanger.  With that said, my current heavy-duty light is a Fenix L2D CE, which is in my bag, which is beside my other "big boys":  a SwissTool S and a SwissChamp. :D

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 03:12:05 PM
While my primary on-person EDC light is a Maratac AAA, on my keyring is a Photon Micro, while my displaced Fenix E01 sits beside my keyring on my Victorinox belt hanger.  With that said, my current heavy-duty light is a Fenix L2D CE, which is in my bag, which is beside my other "big boys":  a SwissTool S and a SwissChamp. :D

Just wait till you try the E2L, then you will have a new Big Boy.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 03:16:50 PM

Just wait till you try the E2L, then you will have a new Big Boy.

Oh? o.o  That makes me scared, lol.  I did handle a Fenix TK40 I can grab for $110 NIB, but I don't know how I feel on it, frankly. XD

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 03:45:46 PM
My TK10 is plenty big for me, it will light up the entire side of our three story house.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 04:04:05 PM
My TK10 is plenty big for me, it will light up the entire side of our three story house.

I was just thinking about the TK40 as the end all, be all light that'll keep me happy and lit (haha) for a decade or more. *shrugs*  I just don't like having to get newer, "better" items every once in a while, so if I spend slightly more and get more than the comparative time out of the item, then all the better. *nods*

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 04:11:03 PM
Light technology is much like computer technology.  What is the end all be all now, is obsolete in 6 months time.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 04:27:40 PM
Light technology is much like computer technology.  What is the end all be all now, is obsolete in 6 months time.

Oh yes, indeed, but I just mean for what my possible uses and needs could be, it or the Polestar A6 is probably the absolute most I could conceivably need in my lifetime. :)

Actually, thinking about your quote, I think it could be reasonable to say that flashlights have surpassed computers in terms of obsoleteness, at least when put into comparative settings for power/runtime/etc.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 04:32:04 PM

Oh yes, indeed, but I just mean for what my possible uses and needs could be, it or the Polestar A6 is probably the absolute most I could conceivably need in my lifetime. :)

Actually, thinking about your quote, I think it could be reasonable to say that flashlights have surpassed computers in terms of obsoleteness, at least when put into comparative settings for power/runtime/etc.

6 Months was a very conservative figure, probably more like every 6 weeks for some of the up and comers like 4sevens, longer for the bigger brands.  I am moving away from having to have the greatest possible output, as I find I can tell the difference as the outputs get higher and higher as our eyes don't work that way.  I find 120 Lumens to be very adequate for my needs and I am finding I need lower and lower lumens for everyday tasks, like not tripping over the baby's toys while finding the bathroom, or checking up on him at night without giving him a sunburn.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 04:36:47 PM

6 Months was a very conservative figure, probably more like every 6 weeks for some of the up and comers like 4sevens, longer for the bigger brands.  I am moving away from having to have the greatest possible output, as I find I can tell the difference as the outputs get higher and higher as our eyes don't work that way.  I find 120 Lumens to be very adequate for my needs and I am finding I need lower and lower lumens for everyday tasks, like not tripping over the baby's toys while finding the bathroom, or checking up on him at night without giving him a sunburn.

Quite true on the conservative figure... it's just mindblowing. :)  While I agree that the Maratac AAA is enough light for me for most things (or even the Fenix E01 for when I need less light, I have found myself in a couple situations where, frankly, I needed more light than what my L2D CE provided.  Granted, perhaps not necessarily in terms of more lumens, but more flood.  Granted, I've just been debating over whether the L2D CE is good enough for my bag, or if I need to upgrade any. :/

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 04:47:57 PM
Well the E2L in my eyes is not going to give you the flood, but will give you tons of throw.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 04:53:59 PM
Well the E2L in my eyes is not going to give you the flood, but will give you tons of throw.

I'll need to take a look at it when I get back home Wednesday, it still sounds like a neat little light. :)

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 10:58:44 PM
I carry a Serac s3 and a Fenix EO1.

And of course, I have a handful of mini mags sitting at home.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: November 19, 2009, 11:09:50 PM
Yes and also back up batteries  :P  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00