Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has the Leatherman Micra finally had its day?

DaveK · 23 · 15783

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
on: July 13, 2010, 08:33:45 PM
These ramblings can also be seen on my blog www.mtblog.org

Since it's introduction to the Leatherman lineup in 1996, the Keychain sized, scissor based Micra has proved to be incredibly popular. In 2002 Leatherman introduced the Squirt range, with the Squirt S4 offering the same tool selection as the Micra with externally accessed tools and a much more refined finish. It seems reasonable to assume that the S4 was intended to spell the end for the Micra, but it didn't pan out that way at all.

The Squirt S4 has been discontinued already whilst the Micra lives on, but will Leatherman Tool Group's latest innovations in Keychain Tools finally mean the end of the trusty old Micra? Maybe it could happen this time .....

The Micra has been around for 14 years, making it Leatherman's longest surviving currently produced tool, and if you're familiar with the Micra, you'll have no problems understanding why. It is genuinely able to be carried on a keychain, and the number of tasks it can handle defies its tiny frame.

If you EDC a Micra, you'd likely take some persuading to replace it with a newer model, but Leatherman have come up with some real candidates this time around in the Style, the Style CS and the Squirt PS4 (and ES4 with electrical pliers) that might just tempt you.

Squirt PS4: (UK RRP: £39.95)

The original Squirt was offered in 3 variations, the S4 (with scissors), the P4 (with pliers) and the E4 (with electrician's pliers). Although the S4 carried the same tool set as the Micra, the RRP was considerably higher, and if you needed scissors and pliers, there are a multitude of full sized tools out there at a similar price point.

The new Squirt PS4 has taken away the need to choose between pliers and scissors by offering both. Some clever thinking has gone into the design of the handles, both from a functional and aesthetic point of view and the quality is as you would expect from Leatherman - excellent.

]

There's no denying that the Squirt PS4 is an excellent tool, but I see three potential issues with it that may deter Micra fans from making the change:

• The finish on the handles does not seem to be too hard-wearing as compared to the Stainless steel Micra. On such a relatively expensive tool this may be a turn off for many people;
  • Although the PS4 has scissors, they are not as capable as those on the Micra;
  • The UK RRP of £39.95 may prohibit many from making the change.

Style: (UK RRP: £19.95)

The Style is a new departure for Leatherman, in as much as it doesn't offer a tool based around pliers or scissors and the usual "butterfly" opening mechanism. It's more reminiscent of a small Swiss Army Knife like the Victorinox Classic, being comprised of a single handle.

Although the Style lacks the choice of screwdrivers offered by the Micra, it does offer quite a few possibilities in a much smaller package and at a lower cost. For these reasons, I can see the Style making some advances on the Micra's dominance, but not enough perhaps to knock it off it's perch. At least, not on it's own that is...

Style CS: (UK RRP: £29.95)

The Style CS takes Leatherman's "Skeletool" design, also applied to the Freestyle and applied it to a Keychain tool. As the name suggests, the basic tool format is that of the Style, with a Caribiner and Micra sized Scissors added. It looks amazing and I find it to be far more comfortable and assured in the hand than the Micra when using the scissors.

Like the Style, the Style CS offers less of a choice of tools than found on the Micra, but in return you get a sexier looking, ergonomically improved tool, with a very useful clip to carry it. Priced midway between the Style and the Squirt PS4, comparable with the Micra, the CS is an attractive option.

Whether the Style CS can be the tool that finally causes the demise of the Micra remains to be seen, but I think that it certainly comes closer than any of its predecessors.

I'm still undecided myself on whether the Micra or Style CS should form part of my EDC, I'll probably do what I always do and find a way of carrying both!
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: Has the Leatherman Micra finally had its day?
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:35 PM
daves had a bump on the head, he'll  be fine tomorrow :)

I

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:42:25 PM
 :think:

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:06:31 PM
The Micra is an iconic keychain tool. Almost a timeless classic, so hopefully it will stick around.

Personally, I couldn't get on with it, so I am getting rid of mine.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:42:43 PM
:think:

i cant see how a toll with less could be better

:S

and i know how much you normally love the micra so im a bit confused, that being said i need to try s style cs  :D
I

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:49:24 PM
Ah, I see.....

Well, yes, technically has less, but what it has is sufficient for what I'd need in a tool this size (which I will pocket carry I think). The Micra seems a bit like overkill right at the moment, but we'll see in time.

I'm never very far from a full-sized multitool, so a pocketable tool like the CS is all about convenience for me. I'll be getting to appreciate the trade off between the Micra's extra capability and the CS' weight and form factor during the coming weeks.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:39 PM
Until LM come out with a stainless scaled PS4, no, even then it's still a maybe.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:31:51 PM
Stainless or Titanium PS4.  :drool:
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:21 PM
Stainless or Titanium PS4.  :drool:

Bob...  :pok:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:37 PM
I've sold a few PS4s for folks here (like you!) and think it's quite nice.  Now I need to see a CS up close.

I do like the skeletool, so perhaps this may be a good thing.
I EDC a Vic manager tho, because  I use the tweezers and pen the most.  Too bad no leatherman can take a Vic pen...

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 12:09:27 AM
I have one of those PS4s gunga sold and I really like it so far. I agree that the finish could and should be better, and a shiny silver one would certainly find it's way on my key chain a lot.

However, the Micra scissors are excellent and it's an all round great little tool. The lack of small pliers isn't a biggy when I usually have a larger plier based tool nearby, but if I were to carry only one on a very light day, the PS4 might win out :)

Great piece Dave  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:40:25 AM
The Micra really does still do the business, but in the end it'll be the sales that'll determine how long it's with us.  So everyone needs to go buy a Micra, right now. :pok:

:D  

Great read as always Dave. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 01:53:32 AM
Cheers folks.

I honestly can see the Style CS giving the Micra a run for its money (at last)!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:37:59 AM
Interesting thoughts Dave. :salute:  (as for me though, much as I appreciate the Style's style, I still prefer a good Micra) :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 06:47:49 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but here goes.

That's ridiculous. The PS4 is $30. Not online at some eBay cutthroat price. At full retail price REI. I can't believe the PS4 is more pounds than it is dollars. (Did that make any sense?) I feel sorry for the Brits.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:32 AM
Not as sorry as we do!

Scary isn't it?

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:33 PM
Even after postage it's cheaper to import one from the US and if you shop around it's possible to get one for less than the £18 limit where customs start bothering with taxes.

I'll almost certainly be getting a PS4 eventually but I won't be paying £40 for one. Can't believe many other people will either.
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 11:30:38 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but here goes.

That's ridiculous. The PS4 is $30. Not online at some eBay cutthroat price. At full retail price REI. I can't believe the PS4 is more pounds than it is dollars. (Did that make any sense?) I feel sorry for the Brits.

It's because Leatherman only supply one wholesaler who effectively get a total monopoly on the UK market and set their own prices.  This really annoys me TBH as I don't think there is anything wrong with a little healthy competition. >:(

Leatherman's sales in the UK must be pretty pathetic I'd think, and the fact they're so pricey is a major part of the reason IMO.  So come on, get your act together Leatherman. :twak:

Sorry, rant over. :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 02:23:49 PM
The thing about the Micra is that it has become an icon, and that, if for no other reason will contribute heavily to it's staying power.  It's like Victorinox trying to discontinue the Classic- even if the strong sales weren't there, it's too valuable to get rid of.

Leatherman may eventually discontinue it to try and boost sales of the Style, Style CS and new Squirts, but I think that would be a very bad idea.  The Micra is perhaps the most common Leatherman tool I see people carrying, and judging by the numbers of them seized by the TSA, they are pretty common almost everywhere.

The design is a bit dated, being the "box" style Leatherman, but it seems that with the recent release of the ST300 that the "box" style hasn't yet run it's course in Leatherman's mind.  Add to that the continued success of the Fuse/Blast/Kick line and you see that there's still a market for "box" style tools.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 02:26:45 PM
I did sell mine as needed the funds but i do miss it on my key chain, although i do like the vic classic as well , but the micra is a very good little MT  :tu:

paul

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 01:30:57 PM
they should make a mini tool like the micra but fashioned like the spirit, with all outside opening tools.

Of they should give it curled metal edges like the ST300 to make it more comfortable to use.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 06:11:19 PM
Note that the micra has not changed at all in its lifetime which speaks alot to its perfect design and construction.  Also the fact the Style CS lacks all the implements of the Micra may make it difficult to completely replace.  I doubt LM will cease the micra as long as there's a market for it.
SAW

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 12:11:17 PM
they should make a mini tool like the micra but fashioned like the spirit, with all outside opening tools.

Bear did just that  :)

http://multitool.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Mini+Bear+Jaws+153&highlight=bear
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72