Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non locking knife 5149

Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,083 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Non locking knife
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:21:12 PM »
Hi all,

I am after a folding knife but as I am in the UK the blade cannot be over 4" or lock.

Does anyone have any ideas of a good cheapish knife??

Thanks

Benner

I'm back!!
No Life Club Posts: 4,531 Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Non locking knife
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:40:22 PM »
Its actually 3", just so you don't get on the wrong end of the law!
Read this page at bristishblade forums http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8336

Opinels (that don't lock) tend to be well regarded as cheap but good value.

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!
Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,083 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 08:41:47 PM »
Its actually 3", just so you don't get on the wrong end of the law!

Thanks for that!!

I'm back!!
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 43,090 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 10:15:21 PM »
Why not just get a sak of some discription mate ???

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:17:59 PM »
Got a couple of saks but just want a cheap edc knife that can be abused and continually re-sharpened.

I'm back!!
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 43,090 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
Got a couple of saks but just want a cheap edc knife that can be abused and continually re-sharpened.
Then roadie's right an opinel should be right up your street. :)

You can usually get a number 6 of ebay for less than £6 if you look around, oh and the carbon steel is the one to go for in my opinion mate ;)

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:27:20 PM by micky d »

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »

I'm always right! apart from when i'm wrong, but when i'm wrong i'm wrong in a very right way....i think.

Yep that opinel is perfect for edc.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:39:50 PM »
Like this one??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Opinel-Non-Locking-Knife-Range-6cm-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ270151512110QQihZ017QQcategoryZ139867QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Yep perfick ;D

Seriously opinel's are one of those cheap and cheerful knives, so use and abuse, and leave you sak for sunday best ;D or your wedding which ever happens first ;)

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 10:40:53 PM »

I'm always right! apart from when i'm wrong, but when i'm wrong i'm wrong in a very right way....i think.

Yep that opinel is perfect for edc.
Sound like a typically british blokey thing to say ;D

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 10:42:52 PM »
Like this one??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Opinel-Non-Locking-Knife-Range-6cm-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ270151512110QQihZ017QQcategoryZ139867QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Yep perfick ;D

Seriously opinel's are one of those cheap and cheerful knives, so use and abuse, and leave you sak for sunday best ;D or your wedding which ever happens first ;)

It's only £5 inc. delivery!!  ;D

VERY cheap and cheerful.

I'm back!!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 10:46:48 PM »
Don't forget though (boy I hate being the voice of reason) I certain part's of the UK and specifically in scotland, you still need a good reason to carry any kind of knife, regardless if it technically legal edc.

I know your all sensible lad's out there, so please don't think I'm being patronising :)

cheers

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »
Like this one??

Yep perfick ;D

It's only £5 inc. delivery!!  ;D

VERY cheap and cheerful.
I really ought to start asking for commission ;D

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 10:48:25 PM »
At that price i may have to get me one of those, seeing as my Gerber 400 hunt isn't progressing very well, or do i buy the fenix first, either way i'll end up with both!

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 10:50:22 PM »
Don't forget though (boy I hate being the voice of reason) I certain part's of the UK and specifically in scotland, you still need a good reason to carry any kind of knife, regardless if it technically legal edc.

I know your all sensible lad's out there, so please don't think I'm being patronising :)

cheers

Really? Where abouts does that apply to?

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
At that price i may have to get me one of those, seeing as my Gerber 400 hunt isn't progressing very well, or do i buy the fenix first, either way i'll end up with both!
Think of the to-ing and fo-ing you'll do to the various site, buy both and save electricity ;D

You could even you that argument with swmbo, although I don't fancy your chances :D

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »

cheers

Really? Where abouts does that apply to?
From what I've heard the scottish police can take dim view of you carrying a knife without a good reason, not all copper's mind, but some.

I'm sure I read it on british blades somewhere, but it is a genuine thing, that's one of the reason's I stopped carrying a single bladed knife, a Sak is a lot easier to justify :)

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:16 PM »
As to what police forces I don't know, I'll try and find out for you.

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »
Interesting, fortunately whenever i'm in scotland and have a knife on me i tend to be out walking/camping. I can understand it in the cities but i don't go there very often at all. Thanks for the heads up though. And yeah that would be cool to know whereabouts.

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 11:01:50 PM »
Interesting, fortunately whenever i'm in scotland and have a knife on me i tend to be out walking/camping. I can understand it in the cities but i don't go there very often at all. Thanks for the heads up though. And yeah that would be cool to know whereabouts.
Well you seem a pretty sound bloke but what do I know ;)  ;D so I doubt you'd bring that sort of attention to yourself anyway, sad thing is I'm sure that it'll be the case all over the UK before to long :(

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
Yeah i do hate the way the UK is heading. I do try and not draw attention to myself....although i wonder what people would say if i carried all my multi's on my belt one day.....

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,400 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 11:14:04 PM »
Careful what you guys say about Scottish Cops... PC Murdoch could be lurking anywhere around here...

To say nothing of Officer Jock! :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 09:56:12 AM »
Yeah i do hate the way the UK is heading. I do try and not draw attention to myself....although i wonder what people would say if i carried all my multi's on my belt one day.....
Ok I did a little digging and got a mate to point me in the right dirrection, so here goes...

...Sect 49 which states thet any bladed or sharply pointed article in a public place is an offense the only exception is if it's 3 inches or less and non locking or with lawful authority or reasonable excuse e.g work or police /army
But the powers that be have created sect 47 to cover offensive weapons Bats ,coshes golf balls full of nails ,belts  non locking  blades of less than 3 inches with the catch all of lawful authority or reasonable excuse i.e it's down to the person to justify having it .

(the act is the criminal law consoldiation Scotland 1995)

Hope that clear's it up a bit :)

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
Folks,

Consider the CRKT Edgie.

I abuse the heck out of mine and everytime I open/close it it automatically re sharpens itself.

Very good knife,

Flash
I've had a crkt before, but I'm sorry to say I didn't get on with the poor quality steel :(

But I'd be interested in your thought's on the edgie mate :)

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,400 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »
Here's an Edgie review on some obscure website I found...

http://www.multitool.org/knives/folding-knives/crkt-edgie.html

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »

Def
Yep I'd read the review before :) I really hate the concept of a knife that wear's itself away every time you close it, but I can see the appeal if you not to confident or don't have the time to sharpen your blade :-\

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 01:07:35 PM »

Def
Yep I'd read the review before :) I really hate the concept of a knife that wear's itself away every time you close it, but I can see the appeal if you not to confident or don't have the time to sharpen your blade :-\

I have to say I thought that as well.

All covered by lifetime warranty though.

I'm back!!
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 01:11:10 PM »

Def

I have to say I thought that as well.

All covered by lifetime warranty though.
True it's got a warranty but the steel they use is frankly pretty crappy (the one I had was aus6), and you could blunt the edge with just a stern look >:(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:17:41 PM by micky d »

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »
I wonder if they'd replace a daily user in 5 years or so when the blade wears away, or whether than falls into the category of regular wear and tear?

Of course by the same token, at around $30 or so, you've probably gotten your money out of it by the time you wear the edge down that far. 

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $100.00
PayPal Fees: $7.77
Net Balance: $92.23
Below Goal: $207.77
Site Currency: USD
31%