Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A few more utility knives.

Chako · 14 · 5054

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A few more utility knives.
on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:20 AM
I keep finding my favorite st yle of knife all over the place in different shapes, configurations, and styles. I am talking about the folding utility knife.

Here are my recent acquisitions.

A small green utility knife. Nothing special with this no name knife other than I also have a red coloured one as well.

This next knife is odd. I say odd because it not only is a folder, but the blade retracts as well. This one bears the DeWALT moniker along with the colours. This particular knife is thicker than most of its ilk. The black top handle part pops up to allow access to a small 4 blade storage clip.

The blade has several stops whilst sliding it in or out, thereby allowing you to lock the blade out at various lengths.. A bit of a pain though to use, as you have to slide the blade in before flipping it closed. A nice feature, once the blade is slid home, the sharp end is exposed in that wire cutter channel.

next up is a beautiful Stanley. This is more of a dress version of the folding utility knife. Nice wooden handles, and very well made bolsters. This one has a nice comforting weight to go along with the feel of quality throughout.

Love the warning on the back blade holder that states "WARNING, Extremely sharp blade". The clip on this knife is beautiful.

The next knife is rather physically long, in contrast with the DeWALT that extends its overall length at the cost of minor annoyance, the Milwaukee is unabashedly long. Unlike the DeWALT, this one is all metal. On top of all that, this one opens via a button. To deploy the knife, press the button which unlocks the blade. The blade will come down via gravity, and in one easy motion, you can flick the blade open into the locked position.

This knife has a wire stripper on the backside that is useable once the blade is stored away, and a wire cutter on the underside of the blade holder. The pocket clip is large and very easy to use.

Next up is a decidedly cheap feeling utility knife. This one came with a sheath...not sure why as there is a pocket clip on the knife proper. That seemed like an odd decision, unless Rona (a hardware chain) figured that their logo was lost in the cheap plastic handles, and thought a sheath was a great way in fixing that.

The pocket clip is functional. The handles feel overly cheap and light.

I am amazed at the variety of the folding utility knife. I keep finding new versions in local hardware stores all the time.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Re: A few more utility knives.
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:37 AM
You Collect And Use These?

I Have One I Used To Use, But I Just Don't Do Anything With It Anymore.

It's A Gerber Folding Utility Knife, All Stainless. It's In Good Condition. Would You Have Any Interest In It?
~Jessie~

us Offline Potassium Hydroxide

• KOH
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:29:26 AM
Are you referring to the Gerber EAB?

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:57:00 AM
Yes, But Mine Is The Gerber EAB Lite.
~Jessie~

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:40 AM
Here's Some More If You're Looking For Some.. I Picked Out Ones I Thought Looked Good And Seemed To Be Decently Made.

Lot Of 6:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-Chrome-Folding-Locking-Utility-Knife-1-2-Dz-SALE-2-00-Each-Also-Red-/250949388358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6dbfc846#ht_991wt_770

Irwin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-Industrial-2089100-Folding-Lockback-Utility-Knife-/330610946568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf9f2b208#ht_1691wt_772

Random Knife, Has Another Knife Attached To It:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-BLADE-FOLDING-UTILITY-KNIFE-QUICK-CHANGE-BLADE-NEW-/180714331633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1369ddf1#ht_500wt_715

Husky, Knife/Carabiner/Mini Screw Drivers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-Locking-Carabiner-Knife-Folding-Utility-Knife-w-Mini-Screwdrivers-128-848-/320819335466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab252912a#ht_3620wt_823

This Is Just Cool Looking:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-HANDED-ARMY-RETRACTING-FOLDING-UTILITY-KNIFE-/120838592397?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c228a978d#ht_500wt_949

Sheffield Makes Decent Stuff:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheffield-2-Piece-Folding-Lockback-Utility-Knife-Set-/250958263834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e47361a#ht_802wt_698

And Just Random Because It Looks Useful:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILMAR-W9306-DUAL-BLADE-FOLDING-UTILITY-KNIFE-W-LIGHT-/280754226443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415e41850b#ht_623wt_698

I Tried To Pick Out Okay Prices Lol. I Have No Idea What Kind Of Price Is A Good Price On A Utility Knife. I Used To Carry And Use The Gerber Like It Was My Job, But Then I Stopped Trying To Go Over The Top With Collecting And Minimized The Collection A Bit. Then I Met SAK's Lol.
~Jessie~

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:34:05 AM
Here is one I got from LIDL and have been using quite a lot for the past few months

Backlock and in alox too!
IMG_1575.JPG
* IMG_1575.JPG (Filesize: 128.28 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:44:19 AM
I'd Really Take A Look At That Retractable Army Utility Knife. It's Spring Assisted, Retracts When Closed, Lock Back, Heavy Duty Build, And Just Seems Great.  :tu:
~Jessie~

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:21 PM
Yeah, I have a small collection going. It first started off with a fascination of the different ways you can exchange a blade and the locking mechanisms therein.

bladechick777, does yours have the bottom blade retention shelf. Older versions were recalled because it didn't have this and people were cutting themselves using it. My copy is the newer version.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:29:52 PM by Chako »

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08:49 PM
I'm Pretty Sure It Does. The Only Way I Could See Someone Cutting Themselves Using It Is If They Are Using It Improperly.
If You Want It, It's Yours.
I Can See Your Fascination With Them. They Are Really Interesting And Very Useful I Just Love My Folding Knives And SAK's And Such.
I Hope This Thread Doesn't Cause A New Fascination/Addiction.  :D That's Everything I Don't Need Haha.
~Jessie~

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:14:32 PM
You know you want more...don't fight it.  :pok:  :pok:  >:D  :D

Thanks for the kind offer, but I already have one.  :salute:

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 04:24:30 PM
I keep these in various places. One in my desk at work, in my car, in my garage, and the house. I rarely carry but its nice to know they are around. I have 3 Ace Hardware brand, 2 slide OTF and 1 folds, and I have a folding X-blade brand.

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 07:51:35 PM
Is Yours The Gerber EAB Lite Though?
~Jessie~

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 02:07:49 AM
Ah, I see. No it isn't, I have the EAB. Didn't know they came out with a lite version in 2010.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:57:16 PM
I have grown very fond of the Milwaukee , I like that it locks closed . The handle has good ergos , it's been a solid tool .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD