Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So I received my Gerber DIME today... it's different... see pics!

jchan · 20 · 5821

Poll

I received a "Sales Sample" Gerber Dime, what should I do with it?

Keep it
14 (58.3%)
Return it
1 (4.2%)
I want it, gimme...
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Offline jchan

• New User
Hey guys,

I'm a noobie to this forum and to multitools in general. I recently went on the hunt for a multitool, and debated between a Gerber Dime and a Leatherman Juice PS4. After browsing the forums it seems like you guys were pretty excited so I went ahead and ordered one.

I ordered a green one off of Amazon (sold by Amazon) for $21 this Monday, a little high I know, but I wanted it asap  :climber:. I just received it today, and at first I only noticed looked slightly worn and the packaging looked opened. Upon further inspection, the blade reveals "Sales Sample August 2011"  :facepalm:.

The question now is, what should I do with it  ??? ? If I return it, I may get stuck waiting a few more days since Amazon now appears to be backordered 2-3 weeks, it's also selling for $17.46.

The other questions I have are:
- does it have any sort of "collector value" added to it?
- does it function like a normal model?

side note:
this image attachment system is a mega pain! it wouldnt accept my photos because they had ".jpeg" instead of ".jpg"
Photo Feb 15, 8 55 44 PM.jpg
* Photo Feb 15, 8 55 44 PM.jpg (Filesize: 93.63 KB)
Photo Feb 15, 8 56 46 PM.jpg
* Photo Feb 15, 8 56 46 PM.jpg (Filesize: 99.84 KB)
Photo Feb 15, 8 56 56 PM.jpg
* Photo Feb 15, 8 56 56 PM.jpg (Filesize: 77.83 KB)
Photo Feb 15, 8 58 50 PM.jpg
* Photo Feb 15, 8 58 50 PM.jpg (Filesize: 80.79 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: So I received my Gerber DIME today... it's different... see pics!
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:12 AM
It'll be a couple of weeks before our samples come on, but I would happily trade you a standard one in your choice of color for that one.  It doesn't have any real collectible value per se, but it does have some interest if that makes sense.  Basically I would be interested in taking it off your hands, but not enough to pay a significant amount of money for it.

I wouldn't return it if I were you- this is a forum for collectors and if you return it we have no idea where such a unit would end up, and I'm sure other collectors here would rather replace it for you and get their greedy paws on it just like I would!

Or, you could just put it in service.  It shouldn't be any different from a normal one, other than the markings.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:41:36 AM
While right now that might not seem all that interesting there will definitely be some collector later on that would love to have that one with the sample marking. Trade it to Def for a new one. Then you have exactly what you want, a new model with plain blade.  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:25 AM
If you are not a collector...not all that interesting. If you are however...  :drool:.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:09 PM
I'm not a collector, I tend to turn my tools over instead of let them sit and accumulate.  I gift them or trade them usually.  If it were me, I'd keep it as a beater tool.  Use it for a while and see how you like it and how often you use the different tools, and use that experience to help you decide on what tool you want to get next.  Afterwards, then trade it to Grant or anyone else who'd be willing to take it off your hands for you.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:50 PM
I'm a hard user AND a collector.

If I received that one, I'd quickly put it back in its box and keep it.  Then get another one.  Someday, that will be "hey, I have a sample version of the Gerber Dime".  If they make ANY changes before ramping up production, it will be highly sought after (although $ value may not be very high).

I'd say it's a really fortuitous find.

(I'll pay you full price you paid plus shipping today for it.  :))

Offline jchan

• New User
Comparisons with a Retail Version
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:54 PM
I went out to REI to see if they had any in stock (I didn't see them online) and it turns out they do.
I brought home a retail version (the only had red) for comparison.

- Visually, the grey/black paint on the Sales Sample (green one) is lighter in shade, more grey then black
- the retail one has more "snap" when opening
- All of the tools look and function the same

However, I did find a problem in both of them, more noticeable on my retail one. When opening the tool to access the pliers, the two halves of the handles touch and actually grind against each other, resulting in the finish scratching off. It's very pronounced in the retail one, which already looks damaged from being opened and closed 10 times.

Because of this manufacturing variation, some examples may wear down more gracefully than others. The scissors on the retail version do not travel as far when opening and are not as smooth as the sales sample. Also, one of the torx screws on the retail example also looks unevenly screwed in, looks like I have a bad one.

I'm going to hold on to the green sales sample for now and exchange red retail one tomorrow. I tried out the Leatherman PS4, I'm not a fan of the finish on the Leatherman, and I really like the design choices that Gerber made with the Box Opener tool and always out bottle opener. It's really unfortunate that the manufacturing variation and possible design flaws may keep this from being a hit.

Use 4.jpg
* Use 4.jpg (Filesize: 96.87 KB)
use 1.jpg
* use 1.jpg (Filesize: 183.3 KB)
use 2.jpg
* use 2.jpg (Filesize: 186.55 KB)
use 3.jpg
* use 3.jpg (Filesize: 182.94 KB)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:41:48 PM by jchan »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:01 PM
Thanks so much for the follow up review and pics.  Very interesting. 

I'm not a fan of the ps4 texture either and have been looking for a replacement for my P4.  Now Im still not sure what to think about this one.  As more folks get them maybe they'll be a better consensus.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:05 AM
Het Grant, I was exactly a day late on the group buy. Wanna part with any of your dimes, trade?
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:48 AM
Het Grant, I was exactly a day late on the group buy. Wanna part with any of your dimes, trade?

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement, although I'm pretty certain Travis is ordering a few extras for stragglers.  It's up to you what you prefer to do!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:34 AM
Yes, I did add a few extra pieces to the order.  I learned a long time ago that it just isn't possible to include everyone in the first round.  So I always try to make sure to have a few spares, just in case.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 03:39:01 AM
Thanks Travis, put me down for any color you have. I'd be interested in Black, Red and Green in that order. Just let me know when and where to send the money. :cheers:
Stew...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 03:45:25 AM
Careful, once you deal with Travis once you'll be hooked!  :D

Def

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:56:56 AM
I'm ok with that, for one of those Dimes, I'd give Travis my sister. I hear she's very good... :o

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:11 AM
Under normal circumstances I'd ask for her number or ask how you can be from Oklahoma and not have first hand knowledge of such things, but since you are new I'll go easy on you!  :D

Def

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
So I received my Gerber DIME today... it's different... see pics!
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 06:14:09 AM
Regarding the scales grinding against each other I found the same thing on the crucials I've had. Weird.

Stay multi my friends

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:22:50 AM
I do have firsthand knowlege, that's why I offered. I wouldn't pass damaged goods off to my friends... :rofl:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:55:43 PM
Regarding the scales grinding against each other I found the same thing on the crucials I've had. Weird.

Stay multi my friends

I've never had a Crucial but I think I've had similar on LM's. Do you mean the "shoulders" rubbing together on the handles near the pivot when opening the handles if the pliers are closed. I think my Charge does this, and I'm sure something else did ... but can't think what  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:25 PM
Well used Charges, especially the AL and ALX show this because of the coating on the handles.  Pretty well all butterfly opening tools will have this issue, but as most are just bare metal it doesn't show as much.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:23 PM
I suppose it's all due to how far away the handle pivots are away from the main plier pivot, and how squared off the shoulders are. I know not all tools have this issue.

Quick check shows Spirit doesn't but Swisstool does (but then it has that "square" feature too, so they're supposed to nestle in). It's not a deal breaker for me anyway, as by the time I've done using them there wouldn't be much colouring left anywhere  >:D >:D >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD