Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone know anything about CB radios?

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Anyone know anything about CB radios?
on: November 12, 2012, 03:07:54 AM
No, its not a throwback to the 80's, I am looking for a vehicle mounted CB radio for work.  I haven't dealt with CB's since the mid 90's or so and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to look for in brands or features.

Any help is appreciated.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Anyone know anything about CB radios?
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:11:18 AM
I guess if you can talk into it and someone, or something replys I guess it's good! :think: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:21 AM
That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge too...

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:27:35 AM
Memories of Dukes of Hazard.....   :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline jafisher134

• New User
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:29:40 PM
Look at Cobra 29,Galaxy 959 of the Uniden 68 or 78. If are going to skimp on anything make the radio and spend the money on antenna. Your cb aint smurf without a quality antenna.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  Its for work and my boss generally doesn't skimp on things so I doubt we'll go cheap on either.

I'll have a look at those models. If you (or anyone else) has any other suggestions feel free to let them fly.

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 09:33:01 PM
jafisher134, Welcome to MTO. :salute:

us Offline jafisher134

• New User
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:54:59 PM
jafisher134, Welcome to MTO. :salute:
Thanks, been lurking around and finally posted.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:50 AM
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 05:07:45 AM
This is my hobby....was my hobby before multitools and EDC.

What are your main uses? Just for work, close distance talking?

JaFisher is right on the money, great radios for the prices, some offer different features than others. And yes, the the antenna is key. Don't spend $100 on the radio and $5 on the antenna, because I guy that does the opposite will out talk you every time:)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:13 AM
They will be mostly for playing in the mud- my boss also has a Jeep, but we are pretending they are for work so he can write them off.  :P

We'll be using them largely for communicating relatively short distances- within a few miles at the most.

Def

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:23 AM
Since their will be some rough rides, I would opt for something with a smaller chassis to minimize board flex. I drive a dump truck for a living, with a lot of off road driving. The guys that run the big fancy radios sound good, until their radio dies because of cold solder joints that have failed because of the rough ride. The guys with radios the size of Cobra 25's or Uniden 68's have radios that last much longer because the board is less prone to flexing.

Smaller radios are also easier to fit into vehicles. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 03:11:25 AM
I hadn't considered physical size as a factor for more than just mounting options, but that's a good point.

Def

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:08 AM
my favorite are cobra 29's cause theres lots of upgrades (can't speak on the quality of the upgrade). The problem with mods is legality. 5 watts is the max in the U.S. but i was running a small mod on mine; just over ten watts. Also something to think about, are you going to want to be able to get out of the jeep with the radio? the range is reduced alot but a midland 75-822 will work. I've got the 29 ( the harley davidson edition ), the midland, and the uniden 520xl :)
hi

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:36:48 PM
I've thought about handheld units but I don't think I'll use it often enough to try and remember things like battery charging/cycling and so on.

Def

us Offline TMFKAMJ

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 04:21:02 PM
I've thought about handheld units but I don't think I'll use it often enough to try and remember things like battery charging/cycling and so on.

Def
The midland comes with a car adapter that you slide on the bottom, then if you want to it has a battery adapter for rechargeable and normal batteries. The cobra 75 wx is like the midland but, you can't take it out of the car. It's wired, but theres a box under the dash instead of in the console. Here's a link to the cobrahttps://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-st-compact-remote-mount-cb-radio-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather.cfm
hi

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 05:08:57 PM
Hmm, I just started looking on Kijiji for CB radios a few days ago, and then I found this thread!  :tu:  I don't really need anything high end for the very little use it would see, but I would like something smaller for better mounting options inside the Jeep.

My Grandfather always swore by Cobra radios, and used to use them a lot traveling from here to Florida with a big group of RV's.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:46 PM

Def
The midland comes with a car adapter that you slide on the bottom, then if you want to it has a battery adapter for rechargeable and normal batteries. The cobra 75 wx is like the midland but, you can't take it out of the car. It's wired, but theres a box under the dash instead of in the console. Here's a link to the cobrahttps://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-st-compact-remote-mount-cb-radio-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather.cfm

Let me just clarify this, because this looks just about perfect....

If I'm reading your description right (and the manual right) then this is basically a small hand held unit that plugs into a small, easily mounted box that provides power and connects to the antenna?  If that's the case then I think we have a winner.  The price looks about right, and I was wondering exactly where the heck I would mount such a thing.  That small box looks pretty easy to mount/hide almost anywhere.

Def

us Offline TMFKAMJ

Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 02:35:13 AM

Def
The midland comes with a car adapter that you slide on the bottom, then if you want to it has a battery adapter for rechargeable and normal batteries. The cobra 75 wx is like the midland but, you can't tak
e it out of the car. It's wired, but theres a box under the dash instead of in the console. Here's a link to the cobrahttps://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-st-compact-remote-mount-cb-radio-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather.cfm

Let me just clarify this, because this looks just about perfect....

If I'm reading your description right (and the manual right) then this is basically a small hand held unit that plugs into a small, easily mounted box that provides power and connects to the antenna?  If that's the case then I think we have a winner.  The price looks about right, and I was wondering exactly where the heck I would mount such a thing.  That small box looks pretty easy to mount/hide almost anywhere.

Def
Yup, just right :) I can't help you with antennas too much I can suggest firestik or k40 . Magnetic antennas are great especially because if you want to park in a garage. You can also mount it to the bumper. But you should get an antenna that is easy to tune the SWR. Quick suggestions: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wilson-flex-cb-antenna.html
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/k30-magnet-mount-cb-antenna-35.html
hi

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 02:59:33 AM
I have pointed these out to my boss and I will be very surprised if that's not the type, if not the model that we get.

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 01:45:41 PM
You are getting some fantastic info here, but can I throw my 2cents in? if your going to write them off, ditch the CB. Go for a 2 meter ham radio and get your licence. No need to worry about miles, and it is way more viable in todays world.
After Sandy we were active in setting up info msg mail into effected areas. It will service you far beyond cb and is actually more active. Plus if you buy the right one you can "open" the board and transmit on cb bands Frs , murs, and actually any freq.
S

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:44 PM
oh ya and the HT of 2 meter will blow away any Base model CB in power output
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 08:20:51 PM
To be 100% honest I doubt very much HAM would be an option for us.  We are barely going to use them enough to really need CB's and I really don't think we are going to devote enough time/energy to getting a proper license.

I see your point about the range and function but I think this is just half assed gadget addons for the Jeeps rather than anything serious.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 08:23:24 PM
Oh yeah, also we are members of a few different off road clubs and most of them are using CB radios already so I don't think we really need/want anything beyond that.

I will mention it though- you never know with my boss.  He has a pile of marine radios just lying around, but we aren't allowed (legally) to use those.

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 10:38:36 PM
Tell him to sell me 2 of themarine radios. ;) I can use them
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:55 PM
He can use them on his boat, just not from his Jeep.  :D

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:24 PM
Yup, I had some but after I got my ham licence I jsut got rid of them. but CB will certainly work for you.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:02 PM
What's involved in getting a ham license these days? The last time I looked into it there was a textbook, test and $150 (or so) fee to take the test.

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:38 PM
Radio shack has the book and the test here is 25 bucks and the feds give the licence renewals free.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:30 AM
Maybe I'll look into it for the fun of it.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%