Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Freestyle Photos??!

Stuey · 21 · 3380

us Offline Stuey

Freestyle Photos??!
on: March 20, 2008, 02:38:34 AM
What happened to the Freestyle photos that were in Leatherman's gallery? I *know* for a fact that they were once there, but now they seem to be gone!

This used to be the link: http://www.leathermanlibrary.com/thumbnails.php?album=66

But now it comes up as invalid and there's no gallery entry for the freestyle. Why why why!

Actually, I'm pretty sure that I know what happened, but I'm concerned that this means the freestyle will be swept under the rug for a long time.

Any ideas as to what's going on.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Freestyle Photos??!
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:40:33 AM
I haven't heard anything- I'll check my SHOT folder to see if I have any good photos to keep you amused in the meantime!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:45:23 AM
Hmmm, most curious.  ???

I'll give Leatherman a jingle and asked what happened.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Rob

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:30:50 PM
The last I heard ( a couple of days ago) the Freestyle wasn't due to ship to dealers until October.  Maybe they wanted to make a change so they pulled the pics?  Hard to say.  With it's low cost I'm sure the thing is going to have huge demand though.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:50:20 PM
I'm sure that if they are still going to come out with it, they'd want to put up new photos.  The SHOT photos don't match at all to what they have actually shipped.  Since the Freestyle photos are from SHOT the year before, I'm sure they must be very innaccurate by now with all of the changes that they've made to the handles, rivets, etc.
-

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:14:03 AM
I just got this from my contact at Leatherman:

Hi guys-

Here is the official status of Freestyle i.e. why the pictures and docs were taken off leathermanlibrary.com.

Thanks!

Leatherman has decided to hold off on the introduction of Freestyle™, the third tool in the new minimal/Skeletool-platform. In an effort to meet the much higher-than-anticipated-demand for the first two tool in the series, Skeletool™ and Skeletool™ CX Leatherman will instead focus all new-platform production and shipping efforts in 2008 towards this goal. Updates on the availability of Freestyle™ will be available later in 2008. 

I had a feeling it was going to be something like that.  Too bad too- the Freestyle actually seemed pretty darned cool!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 01:28:23 AM
Looks like Leatherman may be a victim of their own success here. Still, all things considered I believe they are making the right choice. Better to postpone the introduction of the new model than delay filling orders already placed for an existing model.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Stuey

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 03:01:22 AM
Hmm. Maybe they're aiming for a winter holiday release. In any case, B&H sent me a response saying that the Freestyle should arrive before May and that the 2-4 week arrival estimate is rough and that in most cases products arrive in 2 weeks.

In other words, the person who responded to my email just fed be a generic response. Maybe next time I have a question I should try to find someone higher up who will can offer a more worthwhile answer.

This is why I was so concerned about what's going on: Freestyle listed for $30 and as arriving in 2-4 weeks.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:05:51 AM
Hmmmm, must be word of the delay hasn't gotten out to them yet. :(

us Offline Stuey

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 03:13:39 AM
The thing is, the tools were only recently changed from "available in december" to "buy now, get it in 2-4 weeks". Strangely, the tools that are marked as available in december still have the $50 price they had a month ago, but the ones that are available for order now dropped to $30.

Is this a good time to preorder the Freestyle for practically nothing, or will we end up being screwed in the end.

I think that I'm starting to understand Leatherman's moves. Basically they're probably looking at the profits rolling in and thinking "why should we try to sell a more bargain-oriented version of the tool when the Skeletool and CX are selling like hot cakes."

When I saw the $30 price at B&H, my heart jumped. At $50, who cares about the Freestyle when the regular Skeletool is only $10 more. But at half the price, the Freestyle becomes much more appealing.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 03:15:44 AM
$30 does seem like a great bargain.  :-\

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:57:22 AM
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/LM_Freestyle_Preview.jpg

this one?

and whats the BIG difference between freestyle and skeletool ;) ?

that odd looking screwdriver i see,but other than that?
material?
size/weight?

i bet that if it ever happens to arrive here,it has a nice toetag sayin atleast 45 euros.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 02:37:30 PM
The screwdriver is pretty well the only main difference between the Freestyle and Skeletool.  In addition to the lack of bit driver, there is also coincidentally no spare bit on the side.

Def

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:41:53 PM
say what,man,no spare for fixed bit ???  :D
i also noticed few extra holes.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 04:52:15 PM
We posted lots of info/pics in this thread from the SHOT Show:

2008 SHOT Show coverage- Skeletool and Freestyle

Def

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:51:37 PM
Hmm. Maybe they're aiming for a winter holiday release. In any case, B&H sent me a response saying that the Freestyle should arrive before May and that the 2-4 week arrival estimate is rough and that in most cases products arrive in 2 weeks.

In other words, the person who responded to my email just fed be a generic response. Maybe next time I have a question I should try to find someone higher up who will can offer a more worthwhile answer.

This is why I was so concerned about what's going on: Freestyle listed for $30 and as arriving in 2-4 weeks.

That's about $3-5 more than a Micra :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Rob

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 05:41:03 AM
We'll most likely be selling them for $29.95 when they become available, unless there is an unknown price increase.  Last we heard though is they won't be shipping until October.  So I would say it's a safe bet to think closer to the first of the year with how the Skeletool shipments have been going.  Should be quite the hot tool and I can't wait to see one in person.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 06:11:40 AM
The price is definitely great, but seems a little weird.

I am not very familiar with the Skeletools, but the only differences I can see are the material in the handle and the combodriver.

How much of the $20 difference do you think is attributable to the driver vs the materials? Or are there more differences?

My impression is that the main difference is the materials, and that they are not putting the regular bit driver to give people incentive to buy the more expensive Skeletool line.

This is all just pure conjecture and is likely completely off base. It just seems very odd to an outsider.

Another weird thing to me are the Juice price breakdowns, but that's another story...

[

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 03:12:18 AM
     I talked with a leatherman rep on the phone today and they said that it would be 2009 before the freestyle would be released.  They said the new knives should be out in september though so there is some good news.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:13 AM

...."the new knives" ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?!!!!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :salute: :think: :drink: :gimme:
 :gimme:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:32 AM
Leatherman is re-designing the knife range- check out the Events Forum here, and look for the Blade Show- Leatherman Booth thread started by DavidBinGA.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%