Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Official UK Meet Thread

Offline nezza33

Re: The Official UK Meet Thread
Reply #60 on: July 10, 2008, 10:39:14 PM
Actually i had an unsuspected night out in the sticks.We got called out at 2:15AM to look for a high risk person.It wasgetting very cold so we went on 2 hour on 2 hour off shifts.Sadly the casualty was found he had taken the easy way out. :(
J

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 11:39:50 PM
very decent write up! :cheers:
I'm still surprised you guys stayed so short. 4-5 hours drive each way, set up time/tear down time! :think:
but it still sounds like a good "evening!" I also can't wait for the pictures. Thx M regular Dickens you are :D

Thanks mate :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #62 on: July 10, 2008, 11:48:03 PM
Well Ben and I we're on our way to pick up Ryan, when Dunc phoned me to tell us that we had suffered both our first fatality :cry:, and our first tool usage :) (I'll let Dunc tell that part of the story ;)), but being the breed of men that gave birth to the phrase ''stiff upper lip'' we pressed on :salute:

So after 2 and a half hours of annoying Ben on my lonesome, we picked Ryan up, who was perched like a goblin on a big rock :think:. Despite his smallish stature he wore a green shirt with the immortal words MT.O proudly giving him the stature of a God (Similar god-like T shirts are available from travis ;)) Then came our second oppertunity for tool usage...we had to strip his racing bicycle down to fit in Ben's car, which was already bursting at the seams with Tool's sharps, food and booze! So out comes Ryans Crunch, and off come the bikes wheels, with a bit of help from the bike tool Ben gave me :), so bike in the car, and Ryan and his Gerbers were kicked mercilously into a student shaped space :D, and we were on our way again :)

Finally after 4 hours 20mins on the road (5.30 for poor ole Ben!) we turn up at the lovely little campsite, and the first of many handshakes that day :) .Dunc our intrepid high sea's adventurer had already been there for a couple of hours and had made the campsite ship shape for we three tired hero's :D. As you'd expect, Dunc really is a friendly bloke, who despite not getting the kettle on quick enough, soon earned my approval :D

Well we were now four adventure seeking Brit's, and it didn't take long for us to move beyond the subject of women, and on to the really important stuff...MT/Sak's/Sharp pointy things! As a prototype for the rest of the day, we all immediatly decended on our car's, and produced a truly biblical number of sharps and shinies :drool:

After much debating and droolage (don't look it up) my phone rang, telling me that Dave had arrived, so off I traipse to the car park to be greeted by yet another grinning face with a certain maniacle gleam in his eye. After hand shakes and directions, he came to join us and show off his impressive and very near comprehensive Leatherman collection! All went well, and we entered the great Vic versus Lm debate, and not for the last time either :D

All the while this going on the weather keeps getting darker and colder, and the threat of rain is one we're all starting to take seriously :o, so coats on and Non Vics bathed in wd40 as a precaution (sorry couldn't resist :D) we awaited the arrival of the gazebo bearing Flash...

And here he came, his golden coach pulled by a pair of stout steeds (ok I may be exagerating, but we were pleased to see the gazebo :D). So the party was almost here now, but first we had to have a good route through his very ecclectic mix (sensibly he brought stuff he thought we didn't have!) and that's when our second...but fortunatly only near...fatality occured :o. Dave in a seemingly desparate moment of depression, tried to cut his finger off with one of Flashes very, very nasty Kershaws :o. Ok there wasn't much blood, but I'm a strong believer in melo drama :D

And finally, just as the clouds opened and we were starting to get a little moist (and not from the tools this time ;)) our final adventurous soul decended upon us. Neil, who after many hours of searching for a baby sitter, was finally able to journey forth, bringing much needed sugar based supplies, and vital cold and flu medicines. He also brought forth his might collection of old, rare and mucho collectable Saks with him :)

So now we were complete, 7 brave (stupid), hardy men against the ravage's of horrizontal rain, and very high winds, holding ourselves to the holy tenents of MT.O, risking all to ''make the unworkable work'', and so with Def's holy eddict in our hearts, we had a long and final what tool is best/shiniest debate (sadly Ben's MPT lost this one :D). We chatted at length about the most controversial tool of our time, the Skeletool, but far from desolving into and angry free for all (this ain't BF after all :D) it never got heated or angry and no one had there feathers ruffled. Just like the forum, it remained polite and friendly, with me inevitably trying to go off topic :D

Sadly we moved on to our first goodbye's when Dave had to make his long trek home, now in the pooring rain :(. Shortly after, Neil followed suit into the darkening night :(, so what once was 7, then became 5. Most of the tool's had been put away, so's to avoid them drifting away in the rain! We had a long chat about all things multitool, and the inevitable putting the world to rights, while we all (except Ryan, who's northern) got increasingly cold and damp :cry:. Fortunatly, we had our very own man of action, Flash, who proceded to show us the correct application of napalm :D. After near immolation, we decided it might be better to use smaller amounts of incendries to keep us warm :D. By now it's properly dark, so all those suffering from the dreaded ''Jamie'' torch affliction wanted to go play despite the rain ::). I stayed tending the napalm pit, as the other's went rolling arround outside (i'm assuming) to play with the torches :D

Midnight and time to turn in, it's now bloody freezing (at least I am) and we all clamber into our tents to at least try and get some sleep...only there was a terrifying, earth trembling monster outside :o. So grasping at least 3 knives each we went to investigate!...Fortunatly it was just a red wine fueled snoring Dunc, but Flash swears he could here distant sperm whales calling...

After a very patchy nights sleep (or 2 hour'sish in my case) we got up, Dunc first (he could here the plaintive call of the sea carried on the wind) with me a close second. I stealthily crept out of the tent so as not to wake the ''kids'' and joined Dunc topside to watch the sun being up, and all being right with the world again ::)

So we ate breakfast, broke camp, chilled out and warmed our bones in the near warmth of the sun :). It was drawing near kicking out time, and so with a genuinly heavy heart we parted ways  :(, first Dunc, then the rest of us, Flash went his way (still lead by his noble horses) and we three went our's (after kicking Ryan and his Gerber back into his hole :D). An all to short time later we droped our latest genious off home and battled our way south through very, very heavy traffic home ::). After a loooong time Ben dropped me back home, I manfully resisted the urge to hug him, and shed a tear, and then he was gone :cry:

All joking aside, I had an absolutly epic time, brilliant tool's but more importantly, brilliant company too :). There was never any question of trust, these were all honest, stand up guys :salute:, 7 near stranger's brought together as mate's by little metal tool boxes...can't be bad :cheers:

Thanks fellas

i envy you who could make it to the meeting :salute:

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 11, 2008, 12:01:27 AM
Folks,

Trust me on this...you NEVER own a Kershaw ET...it OWNS you...

...correction...it POSESSES you  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D

I was going to buy one, but when I saw it in stores I knew I'd cut myself if I do so I passed.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 02:14:01 AM
I'm just now catching up on the days events....wow, great get together fellows, and Mike, I must say that was an extremely entertaining write-up! I read the whole thing with a big stupid grin on my face, as if I were right there with you guys! Good show all around, can't wait for the pictures! 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Hoghead

Reply #65 on: July 11, 2008, 04:26:15 AM
micky d
That was a great post. You have a gift.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: July 11, 2008, 04:57:27 AM
Glad to hear that you blokes had a great time :D You are about the craziest bunch of brits I know ( course I really don't know any besides you ) :P Still a crazy bunch that I am glad to know and it sounds like all of you bonded as well cheers ::) :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 08:21:15 AM
Well, we've laid down the gauntlet now, so you lot over the pond have got to try and out do us in Maine :)

Thanks for the kind words fella's :)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: July 11, 2008, 11:13:19 AM
Glad to hear that you blokes had a great time :D You are about the craziest bunch of brits I know ( course I really don't know any besides you ) :P Still a crazy bunch that I am glad to know and it sounds like all of you bonded as well cheers ::) :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Trust me on this, we're the sane ones  ::)

Twas a grand trip out, my only regret (aside from not ordering better weather) was that I was only able to be there for a few short hours.   Next meet during the school holidays, please, so I can leave the boys with my wife (now officially classed as the only reliable member of the family).

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: July 11, 2008, 11:13:54 AM
Well, we've laid down the gauntlet now, so you lot over the pond have got to try and out do us in Maine :)

Thanks for the kind words fella's :)
Thanks for the write up it was the next best thing to being there

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #70 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:53 AM
Uploading photo's now!!  Stay tuned :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #71 on: July 11, 2008, 12:58:28 PM
Here's a few pics just to get started...

Setting up camp on arrival (the truth is Ryan did it all.  Mike just wanted to look useful  :P);

It wasn't long before Mike's moderator skills came shining through and he took on the role as supervisor;

Finally fondling some tools.  This was Benner's offering;

Dunc just doesn't know what to look at first;

Ryan uses his degree to explain a few things to us about tools (sorry  :P);

Mike listened intently;

Dave arrived and upped the group to 5;

A selection of Mike's collection;

Ryan's collection, including his damn fine custom (great work on that buddy);

More tool fondling;

...Plenty more to come yet!  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 11, 2008, 01:04:05 PM
Ryan uses his degree to explain a few things to us about tools (sorry  :P);
(Image removed from quote.)

I was just explaining how awesome the MPT was :P :D

Great pics, mine have nearly finished uploading!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:58 PM
My bike waiting patiently for Ben and Mike

My amazing photography skills hiding Mike's ugly mug with the clever use of a lamp post

Ben was already getting tired of all the tools :P

Upside down, but first blood was recorded!

Dunc's magical box of stuff!

Dave's Box of sheaths

skeletool in action

I love this tool!!

Rust....on a Leatherman, who would have thought it! :o :P

How many mods does it take to put up a gazebo!

Freebie from Flash :D

:drool: I love this knife so so much :ahhh

UKPK

Some of flash's oddities

Cooking!

Who says SAKs don't need corkscrews!!

Neil's box of fun!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #74 on: July 11, 2008, 02:03:30 PM
Most excellent case Neil!

Great pics guys!  There any more? :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: July 11, 2008, 02:27:39 PM
A few more piccies...

Dave's sheath box (again);

Dave's very impressive Leatherman collection;

The clouds started to build up;

Me taking a picture of Ryan, taking a picture of Dave taking a picture;

Ryan showing us some paracord techniques;

What a happy bunch  :D;

The rain arrives;

Dunc cooks his dinner that he was really looking forward to;

Another corkscrew pic;

One handsome chappy;

Flash making some lanyards;

Flash's lanyard making kit;

Our camp;

A couple of colection pics.  These are just those that belonged to those that stayed over night;

I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: July 11, 2008, 03:01:43 PM
Ben helps Flash with his paracord by illuminating half the countryside!

Some more post pics

They were still putting the gazebo up well into the night!!

Don't let Dunc's wife see this :o

Dunc's home made Sharke

some light and warmth

The inferno!!

Can openers aren't just useful for opening cans!

Two mods take a well earned rest

A 98, 2002 and 2005 head Swisstools

Mike's new paracord bracelet made by Flash

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #77 on: July 11, 2008, 03:22:46 PM
Guys I had THE best time  :D Mike great write up  :D Really enjoyed that and brill pics from Ben and roadie .
As Mike mentioned I had the first multitool challange of the day . I'd only got 10 miles from home and it was about 04.45hrs but very light when a magpie flew out from a hedge straight into my car radiator grill  , it made a hell of a thump and I was doing about 60 mph at the time ::) Oh know I thought here we go I bet I've broken something on the car ( hire car ) . I pulled over and the grill was hanging off  >:( but not broken  :D so i managed to snap the clips back in using the swisstool for the hard to reach ones in the corners .The rest of the journey was uneventfull with a couple of wrong turns but I made good time and got there at about 07.30 hrs .After pitching the tent and having my bacon and egg sarnies  :D Mike Ben and Roadie arrived .I was really looking forward to meeting them but also a little nervous . What a great bunch they turned out to be  :D Conversation was tricky at first because no one could find the smillies  ::) :pok: We soon started chatting about life on the forums and the members .Then it was show and tell with the tools and knives .

Flash requested his face being bloked out due to any future missions being compromised  ;)

My little £7.50 tent from Asda . I was really getting worried about sleeping in it when the wind and rain started  :o But it held up really well .

Mike Ben and Roadie arrived then Neil a little later

Lots to see and play with  :D

I had know idea Dave has such a huge collection of Leathermans and he really knew alot about them  :D

Knives on posts is very infectious

And soon they were all at it ...

Part two in a minute  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:27:54 PM by dunc5 »

Reply #78 on: July 11, 2008, 03:32:43 PM
Bloody excellent shot's guys :salute:

Flash

Reply #79 on: July 11, 2008, 03:53:45 PM
Dudes,

Looking great so far...where is the shot of Micky's novel, innovative, new, tactical, spec ops method of Micra carry...you know the one  :D

Reply #80 on: July 11, 2008, 03:55:11 PM
Dudes,

Looking great so far...where is the shot of Micky's novel, innovative, new, tactical, spec ops method of Micra carry...you know the one  :D
I'm afraid that one became lost...shortly after I threw Ryan's camera out of the car window infact :D

Flash

Reply #81 on: July 11, 2008, 03:58:58 PM
Benner,

Thanks for thinking of blanking my car reg...very decent of you.  :salute:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #82 on: July 11, 2008, 03:59:23 PM
Flash arrived just in time with his much needed gezzebo and extra chairs .If Flash hadnt of brought that along then things would have been a bit of a wash out . Big thanks for the Flash  :cheers:
Then last but not least Neil  :D

As time wore on we  ( I ) started to get a little hungry . and for all those who prefer a phillips driver to a corkscrew  :twak:  :drink:  :D

As darkness fell apon us and the cold started to set in we learnt where flash got his name from .....

I managed to get a couple of hours sleep despite it being a little chilly and I dont know what you guys are on about but I didnt here any snoring  :oops:   :-[

I was up first and went for a little walk ..  I knew there was water round here somewhere but couldnt see any boats .

Some of us from more remote areas arrived by alternative transport .....

And despite being in Robin Hood country I looked but couldnt see him  :(

Early shot of a trade from the night before  ( Thanks Flash I'm really pleased with it )

The last one up was the Student  ::)

Then time for Breakfast

Flash using a Vic can opener to cut some para cord

and Mike trying out some new earings

Last pics of all the tools before we said goodbye and parted  :( Bare in mind that Dave and Neils collection are not included at this point otherwise we'd have needed a bigger poncho  ;)

And the final pic of my new SAK settling in at home  :D

Thanks for such a great day guys  :D One I'll never forget  :cheers:

Dunc

Flash

Reply #83 on: July 11, 2008, 04:03:13 PM
Dunc,

Glad you like the SAK...I am really happy that she's gone to a good home.

I'm really pleased to see her on one of your famous "life's a pole on a beach" shot.  Wicked stuff  :salute:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #84 on: July 11, 2008, 04:51:33 PM
Terrific photography! I envy everybody that was there,it looks like everybody enjoyed themselves.With all the sharp pointy things there,I'm a little amazed that the curiousity of the local constabulary wasn't invoked.
I

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #85 on: July 11, 2008, 05:00:06 PM
Looks like you guys had a GREAT time! Did any of you guys ( Ben/Mike/Dunc/Ryan) hold the SURGE at all? If so, do you have any thoughts on it? Oh, and what about the Skeletool? Did any of your thoughts change about it?
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #86 on: July 11, 2008, 05:00:27 PM
With all the sharp pointy things there,I'm a little amazed that the curiousity of the local constabulary wasn't invoked.

It was- Flash was there on "Official Business!"  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline nezza33

Reply #87 on: July 11, 2008, 05:42:47 PM
Lovey pics.Whos is the Maxpedition bag?
J

Offline nezza33

Reply #88 on: July 11, 2008, 06:01:13 PM
Is there no torch pics?
J

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: July 11, 2008, 06:37:35 PM
Benner,

Thanks for thinking of blanking my car reg...very decent of you.  :salute:

No probs mate.  ;)

Ignore what Dunc said BTW.  The reason Flash's face has been blanked out is because he was so bloody ugly.  :P
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD