Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage hand tool thread. 2274

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,621
Re: Vintage hand tool thread.
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2018, 03:28:27 AM »
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Estate sale finds this weekend!
Who is the maker on that large ratchet? Also, I think it was taken apart and reassembled backwards. I believe the switch should be on the back?
Perhaps he bought it off Sparky...  ;)

The switch is in a recess though, perhaps it is meant to be on that side.  :dunno:

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,832 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2018, 03:31:07 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who is the maker on that large ratchet? Also, I think it was taken apart and reassembled backwards. I believe the switch should be on the back?

It’s a Proto. The drive is supposed to be on that side on that model. I know it looks weird, but that’s how they are made.

I'm the milk man!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,832 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »

Who is the maker on the stubby ratchet? That is really neat! Also the Bonney extension.  Is the male end malformed or is it a wobbly?

The stubby ratchet is a no name. I normally never buy no name or Chinese, but I like small ratchets and I’m putting together a car set of non USA tools so it will most likely go in there.

I'm the milk man!
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2018, 03:34:50 AM »
Oh and the Bonney extension is a wobble.

I'm the milk man!
No Life Club Posts: 2,846 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Perhaps he bought it off Sparky...  ;)

I would have never gone there....  :D

"Drink your big black cow
And get out of here." -  Steely Dan
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2018, 04:42:13 PM »

It’s a Proto. The drive is supposed to be on that side on that model. I know it looks weird, but that’s how they are made.

It does look weird.  Those Proto ratchets are highly valued. 

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,296 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »
I was at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore yesterday and saw a number of sets like these and I was so tempted to grab them!  I didn't though, as I really appreciate them, but I am sure someone else will appreciate them even more.

Def

I have heard of that store and finding socket sets. Sadly we do not have those stores here. Is it close by? If you happen to stop in again could you snap a picture of what they have?

I'd be happy to.  I think the sets were $10-15 depending on the set and there were at least four I think.

Def

Depending on the set it actually is and condition as well as how complete it is they could be worth some good money. If they are worthwhile and in the $10-$15 range I would be all over them if I had the chance and the cash!   :drool:

I was at the ReStore again yesterday and I made sure o get some pics for you.  As you can see, there is more missing than is present in the two sets they had this time.  I didn't bother picking either of them up.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 3,149
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
Most of my tools either came from my Grandfather (borrowed, and usually returned once I had my own that matched the particular tool), picked up on a property we leased at one point, or bought at flea markets, so they have some age to them. I'm getting rid of all the DIY grade stuff I bought for cheap new, and replacing it with vintage industrial grade stuff. Here's some random stuff from my upstairs bag here in my room.

Trimont Manufacturing "Trimo" 8" pipe wrench. I have an 8" and a 12" from them, but the 8" is what's kept in the bag here in my room. 1930s to 1940s era.

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
Three months and no posts to this thread. It stops now!

This jewel of a set is approximately 100 years old.  This is an F. H. Ayer Socket set.  It was manufactured sometime between 1913 and 1920. In addition, there is an extra ratchet and Ford socket from an early Mossberg set and one socket from an early Walden set.

Everything works. 

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 02:11:16 PM »
Couple more photos.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,684
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:29 PM »
Outstanding!!!

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 1,316
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
Those are some sweet sockets! :like:
No Life Club Posts: 1,271
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2019, 12:54:50 AM »
The sockets seem to have been formed rather than forged. Interesting to see that they did it like that back then. Great set!  :tu:

"If only simple wasn't so hard" - me
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2019, 02:15:26 AM »
The sockets seem to have been formed rather than forged. Interesting to see that they did it like that back then. Great set!  :tu:

You are correct sir! The sockets are pressed metal.  Many of them show the stretching on the sides. 

No Life Club Posts: 1,271
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
Some tubular sockets are still made that way. I haven't broken any of them yet, so I figure it is a time tested practice.

Fun to see old tools, so interesting thread overall. :cheers: (Sadly not much of anything older than 75 years around here).

"If only simple wasn't so hard" - me
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2019, 06:28:18 AM »
This 1954ish 9 piece socket set box is on its way to me.

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
I purchased this tool lot because I saw one piece with a Craftsman logo with the pointed A. Ended up, there were in half inch thirteen regular sockets, three deep well sockets, a three inch extension, t-handle and universal Drive. In 3/8, there are seven sockets, pull bar, universal drive, a three inch extension and t-handle. There is also a DOE wrench, also in the lot was a set of Plumb ball peen hammers, a Stanley 66-008 Hurwood screwdriver, two Ford DOE wrenches, a Merit DOE wrench, a speedwell nut driver and Unikey hex wrench set, along with an odd lot of hex wrenches and a Billings DOE wrench.  The little Craftsman box to the left was a separate purchase. 1950's  era tools. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $180.00
PayPal Fees: $9.62
Net Balance: $170.38
Below Goal: $129.62