Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Decent Chinese knives 474

No Life Club Posts: 2,280 Douglas's papa
Decent Chinese knives
« on: October 30, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
I sell knives fleamarket style a few times a year. Most of what sells around here are the Chinese assisted openers, so that is what you will find the most of on my tables. I do handle some Buck, Case, & other name brands. But almost everything is Chinese. One brand that seems to be putting a lot of effort into becoming good stuff is Elk Ridge. They are using much better steel, the scale material seems to be high quality as well. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the large jump forward this company  is making.

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,859 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Decent Chinese knives
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
I sell knives fleamarket style a few times a year. Most of what sells around here are the Chinese assisted openers, so that is what you will find the most of on my tables. I do handle some Buck, Case, & other name brands. But almost everything is Chinese. One brand that seems to be putting a lot of effort into becoming good stuff is Elk Ridge. They are using much better steel, the scale material seems to be high quality as well. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the large jump forward this company  is making.

A few years ago, I had a small Elk Ridge stockman. It was a very surprising little knife, and was much better than I'd expected it to be. The blades were very thin, and stockmans have too many blades for my liking, but it was a surprisingly well made little knife. I haven't handled anything from them recently.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
No Life Club Posts: 2,280 Douglas's papa
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
I don't know if this is their design or someone else's but this is by far the best hobo I have ever seen.

https://www.amazon.com/Er-439w-Elk-Ridge-Folding-Camping/dp/B00HJ2CBP4

I think they are going to be a name brand that will compete with Buck & Case if they keep on the way they are doing now. :multi:

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 3,215
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 03:21:50 AM »
I do the same thing Butch.  I succumbed to the late night infomercials back in 2011 and bought two grand worth of Frost knives.  They paid for themselves long ago so I'm not out anything, and whatever I get now is profit, but I only sell a few knives a year and I won't feel completely vindicated from my family telling me I wasted my money until they are all gone. I fear I may be buried with them.  However, aside from the really poor quality smurf, some of my Chinese knives have been of excellent quality.
 :dunno:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,994 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:52:59 AM »
My favorite knives are the newer CRKT models. The Klecker, Graphite, Ignitor, Ruger, Fossil, Tigh Rade, and many more are of fantastic quality. All made in China. Being made in China doesn't make a knife bad. Being made by unscrupulous companies makes knives bad.
Elk Ridge is definitely a good quality knife company. Similar to Rough Rider. RRs are some of the best value around in traditionals.

My only rule when selling any knives is that I only sell stuff I wouldn't have a problen with carrying/using myself. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
No Life Club Posts: 4,713 Smurf it!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 05:20:02 AM »
Another +1 for Rough Rider, the quality may be variable, but overall they're pretty well put together.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $391.00
PayPal Fees: $22.72
Net Balance: $368.28
Above Goal: $68.28
Site Currency: USD