Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kilimanjaro Magnus - Huge and Ridiculous Multi Tool Review

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Kilimanjaro Magnus. Theme - Huge and Ridiculous.

A multi tool that has been seen all around for $20 and less, often combined with a flashlight(like the one I am reviewing, but we will not be discussing the flashlight). It is laughably large at first glance and it has become a bit of a joke among multi tool enthusiasts, because of it. I decided to buy one to see what was really going on with the Kilimanjaro Magnus. The Magnus, from what I can tell, is aimed at outdoors activities(with packaging referencing exploration and adventure), but the lack of can opener makes these claims a bit odd. My opinion is that the Magnus was aimed at the American market where a small minority of people really do think bigger is better. And the size of the Magnus overall is BIGGER! But not better.
 I hope you enjoy the review as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)

My visual comparison aids are the SuperTool 300 and Gerber MP600.
Photos of the Magnus with the ST300 and MP600:

The review:

Stats to begin with:
Magnus dimensions and weight:
Closed length – 6.4in/162.56mm.
Thick(handle to handle closed) – 1.1in/28mm
Width(blade spine to pliers handle closed) – 1.77in/45mm
Pliers open – 8.46in/215mm
Plier head length – 2.17in/55.3mm
Pliers width – 0.88in/22.5mm
Pliers thickness – 0.30in/7.8mm
Weight w/o sheath - 15.51oz/439.7g
Weight w/ sheath – 17.29oz/490.2g

The tool revolves around a gigantic knife blade(3.9in/98.9mm long) that has 1.38in/35.2mm in serrated edge and 2.52in/63.7mm of plain edge. The shape is drop-point and blade stock is 0.11in/3.0mm. The blade steel is a mystery, but I would hazard to guess it is 3cr13 or similar variant of low-grade stainless steel, which is found on many budget multi tools. The main blade locks via a backwards liner-lock(opening away from your thumb when using right handed), so it is nearly impossible to unlock the blade with the same hand you opened it with. The lock being flush with the frame is also part of why it is not practical to attempt one-hand closure. The blade locks are one of the first negatives I have noted. Detent on close is quite good and should keep the blade from coming out when using the other tools. The edge is fairly sharp, but nothing special. It'll cut A4 paper with some hesitation, but don't expect the blade to pop hairs.

The phillips driver is 2.7in/68.6mm in length and is formed fairly well and not over-polished. The flat-blade driver/can opener combo tool is 2.11in/53.7mm long and the driver tip is well formed. The bottle opener is well shaped and performs as it should. Both the phillips driver and can opener/flar-blade driver combo tool are non-locking, with medium spring tension to keep them open and closed.

The last fold-out implement is a wood-saw/cross-cut file combo blade. It locks open with a backwards liner-lock, opposite of the main blade(the lock opens away from your thumb when using left handed). The tool is only OHO with your left hand, and the liner lock cannot be disengaged with your left hand. The small file section(one side only) is cross-cut and works on fingernails and softer metals. Harder metals do not seem to work with the file section. The file section is machined “half way”, and by that I mean that the cut pattern “fades towards the tang of the tool. You get 2.15in/54.6mm of file length and 0.4in/10.2mm of width of usable file on the side of the wood saw. The wood saw is 2.8in/71.2mm of usable cutting teeth, with an overall length of 3.45in/87.8mm for the combo saw/file tool. The actual blade is not tapered like most modern MT saws, so with its' thickness, it will likely bind on larger material. The teeth are sharp and well formed with most cutting done on the pull-stroke.

Last tool to note is the pliers. The pliers fold out with a shorter handle on the side and snap into place with bump stops when deployed. The pliers head is a medium needle-nose form with a needle-nose portion, standard crimper, bolt section and wire cutter portion. The wire cutters are quite sharp and cut most wire and stranded wire. There is no hard-wire notch, so should not be cutting hardened steel wire and nails with them. The bolt-portion is standard, as well as the fine-portion of the needle-nose. The crimper seems unnecessary for the type of tool it is and would just get in the way of using the needle-nose portion of the tool. The pliers are not spring-loaded and my example has no play in the pivot. The grind finish is fair(with casting surface showing on the pivots sides and handle pivots), but there are factory cast-marks on the pliers teeth. Not a big deal, but it takes so little to remove that, that is should have been done at the factory.

The handles are made of stainless steel, covered with black-anodized aluminum scales. The fold-out pliers handle is coated in some sort of thin rubberized finish that has a good grip to it. The SS tools, frame, and pliers contrast nicely with the black and make for a fairly good looking(in a modern sense) tool overall. The finishing is standard and on-par with most cheap multi tools, but there aren't really any glaring issues like flash, excessive tool edge sharpness, and unevenness.

The sheath seems to be of above-average rigid-nylon construction, with just a single belt-loop for vertical carry. The Magnus being carried vertical is like EDC'ing a sky-scraper.

Conclusion:

The Kilimanjaro Magnus multi-tool is ridiculous, absurd, and completely gimmicky. But, as a toy for the “odd multi-tool collector”, it is a lot of fun. Huge and unwieldy, the size would definitely draw some attention(good or bad) and probably make others(who don't know what a good MT is) want one as well. I do not think this is a good tool for the intended audience. The lack of can-opener, cork-screw, fire steel, whistle, or other implement a tool in that category would have, makes this more suited to an urban back-packer. An urban back-packer who may need to cut up some watermelons(with the giant blade), tighten screws, saw wood sticks, file half of something that needs filing(with faded cut on file), only crimp stuff that fits in the crimper, use half of the needle-nose portion of their pliers(because of crimper taking up space there), and/or cut wire(but not hard wire).

Pros:
Cheap at around $15-$20(including flashlight sometimes), it isn't the worst multi-tool you could spend that money on.
Well-built, with attention given to medium fit & finish.
Every tool works as it should, even given the unwieldy size and weight.
Cool looking, as the color scheme and finishing make for a professional look, even if the tool doesn't live up to its' appearances.

Cons:
Heavy. This thing is basically an entire pound. If you think a 10oz MT is heavy, then run away from the Magnus.
No can-opener or cork-screw. I normally don't fault a tool for lacking these, but the Magnus is supposedly marketed to the outdoors crowd as kind of a back-pack tool.
Sheath is vertical carry only. I normally don't fault a tool for this, but the Magnus is to long for vertical carry for most people.
The liner locks for the main blade and saw/file combo are hard to use and backwards from what is conventional.
The file section, while may not be a problem on other Magnus Mts, is only cut well for half of the actual cutting surface.

I am sure I am missing some pros/cons, but that concludes my review of the Kilimanjaro Magnus multi-tool. I apologize if I had missed anything important and please do not hesitate to ask questions or request additional images. Y'all have a great day. :)

G-Man
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:53:08 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Kilimanjaro Magnus - Huge and Ridiculous Multi Tool Review
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:16:21 AM
omg you actually got one! :ahhh :hatsoff:
Pretty much as I expected it.
At least the sheath looks good for a folding saw. :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:21:38 AM
Thank you very much, RP! :cheers:

Indeed. Figured I take one for the C & C team. :rofl:
I had buyer's remorse the second I confirmed the order. But, after using it a little and messing about, I like it. Not in the way I like a nicely made quality tool, but in the way cheap can be cheerful. No more buyer's remorse. :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 07:18:50 AM
Nice review  :tu: That's one ugly tool  :rofl:

Impressive to find something with a wider handle splay than a Leatherman  :D

I may have got a couple of tools which rival it for size though, but unlike that one, these have actually been quite useful  :P
(apologies for dreadful pics, camera on phone really struggles in artificial light)
Again, MP600 for size reference.  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 02:55:48 PM
Nice review  :tu: That's one ugly tool  :rofl:

Impressive to find something with a wider handle splay than a Leatherman  :D

I may have got a couple of tools which rival it for size though, but unlike that one, these have actually been quite useful  :P
(apologies for dreadful pics, camera on phone really struggles in artificial light)
Again, MP600 for size reference.  :)
Thank you, AW! :cheers:

You and RP with hose BBQ tools  :rofl:

Indeed the splay is huge.  :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 04:05:19 PM
 :salute: great write up on this monster. Excellent and detailed review as always GMan! I knew this was big. But never though its this BIG until u sit it beside the 300.  :ahhh

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 04:42:43 PM
Nice write up GLBM  :like: :tu:
that tool is a beast and doesn’t look comfortable to use  ???
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:52:41 PM
:salute: great write up on this monster. Excellent and detailed review as always GMan! I knew this was big. But never though its this BIG until u sit it beside the 300.  :ahhh
You're welcome and thank you, Sam! :cheers:

Indeed. I had no idea how big it was. I think it is the hardest MT with pliers. :ahhh

Nice write up GLBM  :like: :tu:
that tool is a beast and doesn’t look comfortable to use  ???
Thanks, W! :cheers:

Depends on the size of the user's hands. Large hands can use it with less discomfort, but smaller hands would bring on an onslaught of cursing and yelling during use.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:53 AM
Definitely huge when it makes the ST300 look like a Micra!

Currently, Sam's Club is selling a Caterpillar version. I presume this is nothing but a reskinned Magnus. Couple years back, they had this with a pretty decent flashlight. This year, it's one of those 4-in-1 keychain tools; which I already have a ton of.  Thought about getting it as my next cheapo to try out, but it's just smurfing nuts in its massive size and weight. I actually ended up ordering the 4" Workpro MT as my next cheapo to try out; as it was saved in my Amazon wishlist; and I needed a diamond cutting wheel for my Dremel anyway; so I just ordered both at the same time. The latter is lighter, and a bit more reasonable as an EDC tool (this one's headed for my backpack if all goes well).

But, maybe later on, the CAT version will be heavily discounted. Maybe then will I pick one up (currently, it's at about $25 I think).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 05:06:55 AM
I'm amazed CAT put their name on one. But, marketing departments, right? :rofl:

The Magnus is a novelty to be honest. Can be usable as a glovebox tool, but it is unwieldy to use. :o

The 4" WorkPro was a good choice. My early example has some issues, but some members say they are very good value overall.  :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 06:52:38 AM
Out of all the tools to put their name on... :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 03:46:34 PM
Out of all the tools to put their name on... :facepalm:
That and the "Kutmaster" Wrenchhead(not the decent Multimaster). Some around CAT headquarters doesn't use multitools.  :rofl:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 08:22:49 PM
They was a very entertaining read GLBM  :like:
Thank you very much   :hatsoff:

I haven't seen any of those around here yet.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 11:14:34 PM
...ship sank en route from China...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 01:21:11 AM
  Might as well carry a KHHI Scourge, although I think shoulder straps might be required. Probably just as heavy. :rofl:

Damn, saw the size comparison and thought WTF. Then notice it had fake cap crimpers? Really??
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%