Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

5.11 LE+EMT First Responder Multitool Overview and Initial thoughts.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
5.11 LE+EMT First Responder Multitool.
Interesting design with a unique toolset.
NOTE: I am not a first responder, so I cannot speak from that point of view personally.

The tool Weight and dimensions
:
9.217oz(261.3g) in weight.
------------------------------------
2.03"(51.6mm) wide.
4.53"115mm) long counting glass breaker.
4.11"(104.4mm) long not counting glass breaker.
1.03"(26.2mm) thick counting pocket clip.
0.91"(23.3mm) thick not counting pocket clip.

The cutting tip on the pliers/cutters head.
1/4" Hex bit adapter.
Handcuff key.
Little Tanto blade.
Strap cutter is very sharp and ground on both sides.
Pry tip on strap cutter.
No fingernails needed to use.
One-hand strap cutter and tanto blade.
Automatic Punch/glass breaker.
Pocket clip is well designed.
Not spring loaded.
Storage onboard for extra bit.

Dislikes:
Non-locking tools.
Tool springs are a bit on the weak side.
Massive size for the tool loadout.
Heavy.
Pin tool(and handcuff tool) have a tab for getting them out that gets in the way of using the implement.
Spare bit storage isn't very secure with the little magnets.

Any questions, please ask.  :tu:

Photos:

Next to Charge TTi-

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Oops. double post
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
ehhhh....

Another example of a brand stepping outside of its core expertise.....

I like 511 clothes, which as far as I know is what they are good at.

No idea if they designed this, or just put their name on it, or the quality they've obtained from whatever factory....

y'never know, it might be a hidden gem - but my money is poorly executed idea with a brand on it that triples the price tag....

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
I've been looking at one of those, mostly out of curiosity.
And I would probably not have that much use for it.
Do you plan on using it? Would love to hear how it performs :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
ehhhh....

No idea if they designed this, or just put their name on it, or the quality they've obtained from whatever factory....

y'never know, it might be a hidden gem - but my money is poorly executed idea with a brand on it that triples the price tag....

:iagree:
Kind of how I feel about it. Nothing about it seems to make it worth the $50 retail, or even the $40 "sale" price. I paid less, but this tool should be in the $15-$20 range. All about that '5.11'

I've been looking at one of those, mostly out of curiosity.
And I would probably not have that much use for it.
Do you plan on using it? Would love to hear how it performs :cheers:

I will carry it a couple of days to see if the bit driver will hold up to torque(the shaft is thin) and see how the cutters work on nails. But, I can't make it a primary carry, because it really doesn't check enough boxes to be very useful in my EDC.  :-\

Will report back about it soon.  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
ehhhh....

I agree on the clothes. Or the pants actually. I have 4 pairs and love them. Since I got these I never wear jeans again. They are just so comfy and have lots of clever pockets which I like.

...sorry I trailed off...back to topic...

Thanks for checking it out glbm. It does not look like anything one would carry unless as an EMT. But I am not an EMT, so no idea if it makes any sense  :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
 :D :D thank you for being the test subject.

That thing is MASSIVE! I had always wondered whats on the tip of the pliers. In some pic, it look like a Blunt nose plier tip, somethimes look like a cutter. Also it's just odd the way they design the tab for the tools. I thought they were some sort of tools from the stock pic but all looked similar. In a way I was hoping the tools lock as I saw a raised tab being the handle when the intervals are fanned out. The thin-ish shaft of the driver is a bummer as well.. With a tool this size, is there a need for the automatic glass breaker I wonder.. :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for checking it out glbm. It does not look like anything one would carry unless as an EMT. But I am not an EMT, so no idea if it makes any sense  :think:
You're welcome, SirVic! :cheers:
Yeah man. I'm kind of dreading carrying it a couple of days. Not because I may scratch it(it's a C&C after all), but it is so weird and somewhat pointless unless you need a 9pz handcuff key and a nice set of wire cutters. :rofl:

:D :D thank you for being the test subject.

That thing is MASSIVE! I had always wondered whats on the tip of the pliers. In some pic, it look like a Blunt nose plier tip, somethimes look like a cutter. Also it's just odd the way they design the tab for the tools. I thought they were some sort of tools from the stock pic but all looked similar. In a way I was hoping the tools lock as I saw a raised tab being the handle when the intervals are fanned out. The thin-ish shaft of the driver is a bummer as well.. With a tool this size, is there a need for the automatic glass breaker I wonder.. :think:
You're welcome, Sam!  :P
 :cheers:

We're gonna find out with the driver shaft. Since it is an Amazon purchase, I can send it back if the material is defective. I never do abuse tests, but will use it for similar driving tasks of my EDC LMs.

It is ridiculously large for the toolset. It could be compressed into something the size of a Wave if the company cared a bit more.  :facepalm:

Offline mikekoz

The thing I see odd about it is how long it is, but how stubby that blade is.   :think:   I wonder why they did not put in a full size blade?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Jesus, those tabs were to deploy those tools? I was wondering what they were for.  :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Also that thumbstub looks massive on that tiny blade.
And what a chubby puppy it is.
Thanks for taking the time, and the chance with this! :like:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
ehhhh....

They are also quite well known for their rescue knives. In addition they have a multi-function ratchet and 2 hatchets. So, it seems not that far out. That said, they are a clothing brand.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
How well known?

Do people seek them out, or is it more a matter if you're dropping $1k on shirts, jeans, and a backpack, that you may as well grab a knife as well?

I don't mean to sound aggressive - as stated, I own and enjoy and will purchase 511 clothing again, I am just quite wary of businesses that throw their name on unrelated crap to pick up a few dollars here and there in markets they don't really compete in.

As for the multi - I can only assume the odd opening levers are to aid use with gloves on. How that works in a field test, I've no idea.

• Zombie Apprentice
The thing I see odd about it is how long it is, but how stubby that blade is.   :think:   I wonder why they did not put in a full size blade?
I'm at a loss as well.  :dunno:

Also that thumbstub looks massive on that tiny blade.
And what a chubby puppy it is.
Thanks for taking the time, and the chance with this! :like:
You're welcome, RP!  :cheers:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
How well known?

Do people seek them out, or is it more a matter if you're dropping $1k on shirts, jeans, and a backpack, that you may as well grab a knife as well?

I don't mean to sound aggressive - as stated, I own and enjoy and will purchase 511 clothing again, I am just quite wary of businesses that throw their name on unrelated crap to pick up a few dollars here and there in markets they don't really compete in.

As for the multi - I can only assume the odd opening levers are to aid use with gloves on. How that works in a field test, I've no idea.
Here quire a few policemen I know carry them, not sure how representative that is as all the police-men work in the same place, so it could be recommendation. But these knives are very present in those circles at least here in Switzerland.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%