Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What bladeless models would you like to see?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
What bladeless models would you like to see?
on: May 11, 2024, 09:34:46 AM
Well, Carl Elsener said they're thinking of starting a bladeless line of tools, seeing how sales are being impacted by knife crime. :(

What models would you like to see?

This also raises the question of What is a Knife?
Is the awl ok? The scissors? The saw? :think:

I'd like to see a bladeless urban Cybertool, no blade or openers. Driver, scissors, file, pliers. Maybe saw too?

Or an Alox three hit wonder: file, scissors, saw. But where will the awl go? In a layer on its own? :think:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What bladeless models would you like to see?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 12:36:06 PM
I read that Victorinox is planning a baseless line.

A SAW, is a cutting tool, a very mean cutter just by itself and can inflict serious harm, more so than a blade.  So no saw blade.

The baseless model should include; a AWL w/eye,  a 3D Phillips w/cap lifter ,  Scissors,  Magnifier,, flat  screw driver and the small chisel. These awl placed in-line.

On the back side a CORK SCREW, and a HOOK.

In the scale, the Tooth pick and tweezers.  As well as a light.
😉
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 12:46:56 PM
I'd be delighted to see a bladeless Swisschamp. :tu:

Because I find using the blades & openers on the SC so unwieldy, I've fantasized for years about having a Swisschamp split into a Spartan & a multi with everything else.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:53:59 PM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 04:03:54 PM
I have been thinking about this. It is very easy to imagine a Swiss champ without blade layer, except the issue of the corkscrew and backside scale cutout. Vic loves the corkscrew so it seems they will need a new tool or tool pairing for an outer layer with corkscrew. Ideas for the outer corkscrew layer: scissors, a longer version of the inline phillips, new phillips and flat that sit across from one another, ??

I was thinking the other night about an alox 3 hit wonder as well, but came up with File, saw, pliers. The idea being that I would have a manager for scissors and SDs and stand alone blade along side it. If the saw is deemed too dangerous (hahaha) then file, scissors, pliers seems natural. Another option is a 4 layer with the addition of the inline phillips layer.

I think there was mention of the golf tool and a bicycle tool. For that I am envisioning something of another form than the  current Saks, and would have allens keys, spoke wrench, chain tool, adjustable wrench, SDs etc

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 04:11:31 PM
Would it be strange if I said "just scissors" in 91mm?

Planning on taking a robotics course (as a refresher to my mechatronics--taught by the same instructor I had--though about half the distance away as the community college) as well as carpentry, and unlike the community college, the career and technical center (on a high school campus) abides by the same rules as the schools--state law is 2.5" for school campuses, but most of them are "No weapons" type places". 

If the upcoming bike tool has a bit driver, I think it could work. Currently, I'm thinking about a Raptor plus my Style PS.

Honestly, your idea of what, is, essentially, a Cybertool minus the blades will probably work.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 05:01:40 PM
Actually, all of the gizmos on a SAK could be called 'weapons'.  Is there any reason to believe that they won't?  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 05:40:28 PM
Actually, all of the gizmos on a SAK could be called 'weapons'.  Is there any reason to believe that they won't?  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

:iagree: Certainly here in the UK.

If we're talking about air travel I carry a Classic with me (in my rucksack) and a Swiss+Tech Utili-Key (on my keyring) and I've never had a problem, within Europe.

I work at Heathrow and I wouldn't chance anything like a full size bladeless SAK/MT  :pok: - especially as they seem to charge the same for "bladeless" stuff but then add a saw blade  :facepalm:

If we're talking about EDC (off duty) then I'll stick with UK EDC legal as anywhere that I can't take that I awlmost certainly wouldn't be able to take anything genuinely useful  :think:

So TBH, I don't think I'd every want or need one...probably  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

de Offline matzesu

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 06:02:16 PM
Maybe some sort of an Tool Update for the smaller Modells: I have now an 4 Layer in my Pocket and an Cybertool in my Backpack I take to works

Booth share Tools , so you have them twice

So how about an SAK whit Bitdriver, Pliers, Magnifier Glas and on the other side other stuff..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 08:03:14 PM
I read that Victorinox is planning a baseless line.
Was the use of the bolded word intentional or an auto-correct fail?

Probably at least 95% of the time I reach for an SAK, I'm going to use its blade. So bladeless SAKs have very little to no appeal for me. That's especially true when you consider that pretty much any and every other SAK tool could be wrongly and unfairly seen as a "weapon." I can't fault Victorinox for seeing a potential market and jumping into it, though.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 08:44:46 PM
Autocorrect.  Again!!!
I think the eye doc is correct, the cataracts are getting the better of me, but not enough to require correction ???
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 11:35:35 PM
I would like to see the following tool layers:

Scissors
Pliers
Cybertool Layer
Magnifying Glass + Flashlight
Fish Scaler
Spatula
Can Opener / Cap Lifter

Backside:

Hook with File
Small screwdriver

And all Scale Tools.

Let's call it the CyberPhisher.  :D :D :D :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 08:40:14 AM
What if the blade is replaced with a rescue cutter? Isn't it ok if the blade is hidden and protected?
So, there could be all current models, with the rescue hook blade instead if the standard blade. :think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2024, 05:04:23 PM
Lots of good ideas here folks - And lots of challenges - Eg Is every tool a sharp?  ???  - I refuse to say weapon !!   :pok: ;)

And particularly what happens to the cs/Ph  as they go on the back of the blade :o
And also what about the openers/awl layer - As I would guess the awl will not figure in the new safe models
Lots of things for Vic to think about and definitely some re-engineering \

Starting to see why Mr. E said it will take some time .....  :think:  My first response to that statement was ..... <why - just drop the blade!!>
But now I see  its a bit more complex - Eh?

But a rescue bade is a very interesting proposition     :salute:   :tu:     I really like that idea
You cannot stab anyone - But te trouble is it is a still a blade    .... e

Its ironic isn't it? - A blade designed to save peoples lives will be banned because they think it will be used to take lives
Just shows how crazy these discussions are
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 02:50:41 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 10:25:14 PM
I actually love the idea of a rescue type blade. We would need to check with the very restricted areas but  a small hook blade/cutter is hard to imagine being able to cut a person in an offensive. A longer/different version of the multi tool on the Ruike S31 would be neat. It cant cut my finger or throat, but can still do a number on packing tape and other packing material situations.

IMG_7039-compressed.jpg
* IMG_7039-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 128.37 KB)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 11:58:55 PM
I'm not interested in anything bladeless.  For me its legal to carry a blade just about everywhere except a federal building or the passenger area of an airport, and I don't go there.

:tu:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2024, 12:50:32 AM
Just pliers and bit layer.  I've already thought about modding myself.  :think:
Combined with the models I carry that would be the ideal tool addition for me because thick SAKs are not my thing.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2024, 06:13:08 AM
I would definitely go for a bladeless Cybertool M if it also included the full length file/metal saw as a substitute.

Offline LeDe

Reply #17 on: May 13, 2024, 08:15:47 AM
Hello,

I would start with a Jetter plus SD file.

I would also like a medium sized one, maybe a climber minus blade. But as other said, it may be already above what would be allowed for a flight.

Best,

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2024, 08:25:03 AM
i would love to see bladeless Cybertool models also would like to see bladeless SwissChamp

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2024, 03:42:06 PM
Just thinking about this

I guess that there is quite a distinction between a knife / blade that is illegal to carry in some countries and buildings
And a tool that is not allowed on aeroplanes

A bladeless SAK, maybe with saw, scissors, awl etc would probably be OK if stopped on the streets of Sydney .... as no blade
But you still could not take in on a plane.

SO IMHO Vic should go the direction Leathernman took with the Rebar - and just make a few regular SAKs sans blade (and CS/Ph) I guess   

us Offline Enginears

Reply #20 on: May 13, 2024, 05:31:13 PM
Just thinking about this

I guess that there is quite a distinction between a knife / blade that is illegal to carry in some countries and buildings
And a tool that is not allowed on aeroplanes

A bladeless SAK, maybe with saw, scissors, awl etc would probably be OK if stopped on the streets of Sydney .... as no blade
But you still could not take in on a plane.

Yeah, I kind of smirk to myself thinking at the notion of taking any metallic tool on a plane. Being in the US there is no guarantee the TSA wont confiscate it just because they feel like it, or have a bad day, or you look  at them wrong.  Rules or not when “discretion” is at play I tend to ere on the side of caution. I don't want my precious new bladeless SAK getting sold to a YouTuber in a TSA lot because a TSA agent had a bad day used discretion on me. 

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #21 on: May 13, 2024, 08:36:31 PM
To be honest, I dont use my blade all that often. I am no outdoorsman . IF I do use it , its to open envelopes or packages for my kids toys. . SO to me its not a huge loss. I would love to buy my grand kids a swiss tool with no blade. For me, If they took the Sportsman ( thats what I carry most often) and swapped out the blade for victorinox scissors , I would defiantly buy that
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2024, 08:50:32 PM
What about that package opener tool in that one new SAK? Is that a blade? :think:
That would cover a huge portion of my everyday cutting, assuming I could have it on my SAK and be legal.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2024, 01:37:29 PM
  When Victorinox rolls out these bladeless wonders, I have a suggestion.  Instead of making them with the traditional red (red means danger, right) cellidor, they need to make them green (all green is good) with the words NO BLADE on the sides.  Then when you get stopped with one of the things, the tool can do part of your arguments.  "It's legal.  See?  Look at the handle."  Best wishes.  G

us Offline Enginears

Reply #24 on: May 14, 2024, 02:41:10 PM
  When Victorinox rolls out these bladeless wonders, I have a suggestion.  Instead of making them with the traditional red (red means danger, right) cellidor, they need to make them green (all green is good) with the words NO BLADE on the sides.  Then when you get stopped with one of the things, the tool can do part of your arguments.  "It's legal.  See?  Look at the handle."  Best wishes.  G
I like that idea G, but I like it so much I immediately want a few sets to put on my favorite bladed SAKs  :pok: 

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 14, 2024, 02:51:47 PM
the once (any only) time i tried to board a plane with a vic jetsetter in my carry-on i had it taken from me by TSA because of the scissors. made me wonder if anyone else has successfully carried one on a plane  :think:

Offline LeDe

Reply #26 on: May 14, 2024, 04:42:12 PM
the once (any only) time i tried to board a plane with a vic jetsetter in my carry-on i had it taken from me by TSA because of the scissors. made me wonder if anyone else has successfully carried one on a plane  :think:

Just last week, a couple of friends flew back and forth between Poland and the UK with a classic and a rambler. They were not spotted.
On the same trip a few month back, the agent wanted to take my Jetsetter. I managed to explain my way out.
But I also flew a few many other times without any questions.

Best

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 14, 2024, 04:42:37 PM
This has always been my theory on any "knife looking" tools. Security most places would rather take it than figure it out. Better to carry something like a Shard or a GeeKey.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2024, 07:22:25 PM
agreed. i'm actually in el paso TX right now sadly for one of my best friends funerals. Brain cancer took him far too early. didn't bother trying to bring a vic bic of my jetsetter experience. during my stay here someone needed a knife to open something and i instinctively reached for my pocket but nothing there.

it was really weird to not carry a knife this week. my friends wife realized i didn't have a knife on me and so she kindly gave me one of my friends pocketknives to keep and  use while i'm here. which was so kind of her. i will proudly carry it and cherish it in a way that i'm not sure many understand (well except for awlsome folks on this forum of course!) i'll be mailing it back to myself though.  :ahhh

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #29 on: May 14, 2024, 07:49:43 PM
Security most places would rather take it than figure it out. Better to carry something like a Shard or a GeeKey.
Generally speaking, I would agree. But I looked at the list of prohibited items before reporting for jury duty in Wayne County, Michigan. Seems any tool is prohibited unless you're there to do some sort of maintenance. That further fuels my burning desire to get out of here. :rant:

I'm actually in el paso TX right now sadly for one of my best friends funerals. Brain cancer took him far too early.
I can empathize. You have my deepest and most sincere condolences.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%