Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37507 · 2550748

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #36660 on: November 09, 2022, 07:37:43 AM
:iagree: Nice finds, congrats!

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36661 on: November 09, 2022, 08:20:00 AM
So far this week I've gotten those, and the week is still young... :D

(Image removed from quote.)
:like:

us Offline HoosierSAKFan

Reply #36662 on: November 11, 2022, 07:31:25 PM
New Ambassador just delivered yesterday, went to Lowes and picked up a set of  Nite Ize S-Biners to attach it to my key fobs. Used the Ambassadors scissors to open the package!
Retired, but still rolling like a big wheel and cutting like a big knife.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #36663 on: November 12, 2022, 05:33:40 AM
Looks to be in very nice shape. A great score! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #36664 on: November 12, 2022, 07:42:33 AM
:iagree: Congrats Hoosier

us Offline HoosierSAKFan

Reply #36665 on: November 12, 2022, 01:05:12 PM
Thanks Farmer X and nakken. The Ambassador is a nice size for the key fob and provides the tweezers and toothpick that my oddball Sportsmans lack, plus tweezers. I’ve never handled a SAK 58mm but have a couple el cheapo Chinese knockoffs that my brother in law gave me that have his company logo on them, the 74mm size is just a little more comfortable for me.
Retired, but still rolling like a big wheel and cutting like a big knife.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #36666 on: November 12, 2022, 08:26:20 PM
I like my Ambassador quite a bit, for such a small package you get a fairly stout blade and usable scissors. Here is my latest pickup and first 100mm. Its not perfect but I was happy to find one of the brass lined ones for under 20$ shipped.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #36667 on: November 12, 2022, 10:49:17 PM
One classy SAK. Nice find, Enginears :like:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #36668 on: November 12, 2022, 11:13:19 PM
 :iagree: not seen one of those before! :like: :like:

us Offline Frailer

Reply #36669 on: November 13, 2022, 09:27:16 PM
The VSAKCS 2022 knife arrived this week.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #36670 on: November 13, 2022, 09:57:08 PM
Very nice, Frailer!  :like: :like:

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #36671 on: November 14, 2022, 04:20:49 AM
The VSAKCS 2022 knife arrived this week. (Image removed from quote.)

Cool. What’s all in that thing?

Offline Miles42

Reply #36672 on: November 14, 2022, 04:50:57 AM
This 80 year old dumb ass can't figure out posting pics, but love yours. Keep them coming.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #36673 on: November 14, 2022, 05:48:04 AM
This 80 year old dumb ass can't figure out posting pics, but love yours. Keep them coming.

Posting of pics is easier using the Tapatalk app Miles....I end up using a mixture of the webpage for surfing the forum but then use tapatalk when posting

:cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #36674 on: November 14, 2022, 06:31:59 AM
The VSAKCS 2022 knife arrived this week.
:drool:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline DavZell

Reply #36675 on: November 16, 2022, 11:56:21 PM
The VSAKCS 2022 knife arrived this week. (Image removed from quote.)

I got mine, too.  It's a nice set of tools.  For those that don't know, it's got: main blade, electricians blade, metal file/saw, bottle opener, and awl.  The scales are blue alox.
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #36676 on: November 17, 2022, 06:45:26 AM
Very nice! Congrats Frailer and DavZell :like:

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #36677 on: November 17, 2022, 07:15:14 PM
A Stayglo Classic SD fir the keys.  :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #36678 on: November 23, 2022, 04:37:19 PM
Here's my two latest SAKs, an Evolution 14 and a Recruit!

IMG_1004.jpg
* IMG_1004.jpg (Filesize: 168.09 KB)

The Evolution 14 is pretty cool. I bought it used on the auction site. It was advertised as being cleaned and sharpened. It was neither of those things... but it is now! We'll see if this can scratch the itch for a "Climber Small" I sometimes feel. So, yeah. Pretty cool.

The Recruit, on the other hand, is beyond pretty cool. I also bought it on the auction site. It's a NOS knife from the 90s judging by the packaging and tang stamps. But that's not why it's beyond pretty cool. The Recruit is, quite simply, a revelation. Since it arrived, I can't stop holding it and playing with it. I can't get it out of my pocket to make room for another SAK. It's so light weight and slim - without being "almost too slim" like I've found it's cousin the Cadet to be. It's got the full opener layer (the combo tool is not for me). It's 84mm. And the back of the knife is SO SMOOTH!

And the thing is, the thing that always kept me away from the Recruit in the past... I don't miss the back tools at all. I really thought I would but I've had this SAK for about 10 days and it's done everything I've needed it to do. I haven't needed the awl, corkscrew, or back phillips a single time. Between the Recruit and my ever-present Rambler all my needs have been covered. In other threads I've said that I've been searching for my "minimum viable SAK" - it's very possible the Recruit is it! I love this thing!

Anyway, sorry to gush. I only bought it because my collection goal is owning every SAK that MacGyver (RDA version) is known to have used in all 7 seasons of the show. I bought it to help complete the collection and I'm surprised just how much I love this knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36679 on: November 23, 2022, 04:44:17 PM
Another fan of the Recruit.  I have a couple 84mm that are a really nice in hand.  As for the back tools, I thought I'd miss them but when I carry my Recruit I dont think about them at all. 

Cadet vs Recruit.  They are different enough for me not to compare.  I can enjoy each on their own merit.  Here the "thing" for me, if I feel I need additional implements on my SAK I'd end up carrying my Swisschamp.  Sometime enough is really enough. 

As to your Evo.  If you can connect with those eco scales I think you'll enjoy that SAK.  Wengers 85mms are formidable vs Vics 84mms. 

Enjoy and congrats. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #36680 on: November 23, 2022, 05:27:03 PM
Yep, I've already got an Evolution 10, 11, 18, and S557. I do like the Evolution scales a good bit. They do add some bulk to the SAK but at least it's bulk that doesn't weigh anything.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #36681 on: November 24, 2022, 01:00:44 AM
Here's my two latest SAKs, an Evolution 14 and a Recruit!

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

The Evolution 14 is pretty cool. I bought it used on the auction site. It was advertised as being cleaned and sharpened. It was neither of those things... but it is now! We'll see if this can scratch the itch for a "Climber Small" I sometimes feel. So, yeah. Pretty cool.

The Recruit, on the other hand, is beyond pretty cool. I also bought it on the auction site. It's a NOS knife from the 90s judging by the packaging and tang stamps. But that's not why it's beyond pretty cool. The Recruit is, quite simply, a revelation. Since it arrived, I can't stop holding it and playing with it. I can't get it out of my pocket to make room for another SAK. It's so light weight and slim - without being "almost too slim" like I've found it's cousin the Cadet to be. It's got the full opener layer (the combo tool is not for me). It's 84mm. And the back of the knife is SO SMOOTH!

And the thing is, the thing that always kept me away from the Recruit in the past... I don't miss the back tools at all. I really thought I would but I've had this SAK for about 10 days and it's done everything I've needed it to do. I haven't needed the awl, corkscrew, or back phillips a single time. Between the Recruit and my ever-present Rambler all my needs have been covered. In other threads I've said that I've been searching for my "minimum viable SAK" - it's very possible the Recruit is it! I love this thing!

Anyway, sorry to gush. I only bought it because my collection goal is owning every SAK that MacGyver (RDA version) is known to have used in all 7 seasons of the show. I bought it to help complete the collection and I'm surprised just how much I love this knife.

The Recruit is my favorite SAK and like you I have a Classic SD or Rambler for scissors and it covers all my daily needs.  I totally agree with your observations as well regarding the backside tools as well.  Nice pickups  :like:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #36682 on: November 24, 2022, 09:03:31 PM
Thanks! I’m now fighting off the desire to buy more Recruits. I don’t need them.  I just want to!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36683 on: November 24, 2022, 09:41:09 PM
I have a Economy versions, one with nylon scales and one with Celidor, neither have keyrings or T&T.  I'd love to find a white and/or black scaled.  Even an inline skater would be cool scales to have.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #36684 on: November 25, 2022, 04:26:47 PM
Thanks! I’m now fighting off the desire to buy more Recruits. I don’t need them.  I just want to!

It is hard not to get a couple extra Recruits when they are less expensive then a Classic SD.  The main reason I love the Recruit over the Cadet is I can two Recruits for the price of a Cadet.  I was curious how close you are to completing your Macgyver SAK collection (sounds really cool)?  Do you have any pictures of the collection?

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #36685 on: November 25, 2022, 08:17:09 PM
It is hard not to get a couple extra Recruits when they are less expensive then a Classic SD.  The main reason I love the Recruit over the Cadet is I can two Recruits for the price of a Cadet.  I was curious how close you are to completing your Macgyver SAK collection (sounds really cool)?  Do you have any pictures of the collection?

Hey, thanks for being interested!

I still have several models to go, and some of them will not be easy to find! I have all the common two and three layer models he used in the show (I use the Macgyveronline list and the thread in the Media subforum about the show as guides).

So I still need the Fisherman, a wood Spartan, Compact, Huntsman (I had one but I gave it to my father so I need another one) and a few others like a 111mm model (no one seems to know exactly which one he used...). Some won't be as easy to find, like the Wenger models, especially the one that is basically equivalent of the Vic Golfer. Speaking of which, I don't know how I'm going to get a Golfer!

[UPDATE - I just searched eBay for a Vic Golfer, which I had not done in a while and just snagged one for $50! It’s a lot for a SAK, in my mind, but it’s a lot less than what I’m used to seeing them go for. ]

In the meantime, I'm allowing myself some modern equivalents -  Like the Evolution 18 is basically the same tool set as the Wenger Handyman, for example. It's a concession, to be sure, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete the collection otherwise.

I haven't taken any pictures though. But I should do that - take a picture of the MacGyver collection as it stands. I have also acquired some other SAKs that have no association with MacGyver along the way too, just others I was interested in. And it's kind of fun not to try to complete it TOO fast...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:00:11 PM by marlowe221 »

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #36686 on: November 26, 2022, 03:53:40 AM
I’ve only been using SAKs for a number of months now, but the reamer/awl has already became a staple to me for opening boxes and saving my blades from all the tape glue. I don’t think I could do without the back tools.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #36687 on: November 26, 2022, 04:42:56 AM
I often use the curved blade of the can opener as a package opener for the same reason. The awl is great for that though!

us Offline proletenstahl

Reply #36688 on: November 26, 2022, 12:25:58 PM
I found another small Climber! I am in danger of becoming an 84 mm scissor snob.

If any electrical engineers want the Sprecher Energie scales, let me know before I get out the sandpaper.

* Climberchen.jpg (Filesize: 44.53 KB)

cz Offline z1913

Reply #36689 on: November 28, 2022, 11:16:30 AM
Evo 14 - my first Delemont.

First impressions:
+ I like the scales
+ Scissors are good (after the stuck issue mentioned in the other thread got resolved). It does not glide through paper like Victorinox style scissors, but they feel very solid, cut well and I like the construction
+ I like it is a complete package - it has an awl with a sewing eye and nail file (with pointed nail cleaner - I prefer the pointed end vs. the SD end on SD Classics/Rambler)
+ 85mm lenght

- not a slim knife (but I knew that upfront)
- nail file is not the latest, ribbed style (which can be found on Sportsman or Cadet)
- the backsprings are slighly recessed below the scales so there is kind of a sharp edge at the end of the scales - I prefere the smooth transition on 84/91mm

My usual combos are Waiter+alox Minichamp or Alox Bantam+Rambler for urban environment. I really like the 84mm single layer, especially the Waiter is almost magical, but there are moments where I prefere to carry only one knife that has similar toolset.
I got the Compact for that  and it is a good knife, but somehow the extra 7mm of lenght feels too long in the pocket to me so I decided to give the 85mm line a try.
Of course I was concerned about the 3 layer width, with Evo scales on top of that (given my single layer preference) but first impressions are good - the shorter lenght seems to somehow partially compensate for the extra width. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:58:23 PM by z1913 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD