Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do we have on the way? 1196390

No Life Club Posts: 4,602
Re: What do we have on the way?
« Reply #25050 on: June 06, 2020, 11:20:34 PM »
Victorinox Hiker. Will find its home with my whittling tools  :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 4,066
« Reply #25051 on: June 08, 2020, 03:29:33 AM »
At nearly $60, this is the most I have EVER spent on an SAK. But, it's the last thing I'm buying online for a long while as a result.

Victorinox "Old Cross" Electrician. Yeah, a new one's half that, but it's just not as sexy.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,075 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #25052 on: June 08, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »
At nearly $60, this is the most I have EVER spent on an SAK. But, it's the last thing I'm buying online for a long while as a result.

Victorinox "Old Cross" Electrician. Yeah, a new one's half that, but it's just not as sexy.

(Image removed from quote.)

Absotively right!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Just Bananas Posts: 72,366
« Reply #25053 on: June 08, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
Nice one cody  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
No Life Club Posts: 2,004 I have a small selection of disparate tools
« Reply #25054 on: June 08, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
Victorinox Hiker. Will find its home with my whittling tools  :tu:

good choice of sak

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot
No Life Club Posts: 1,290
« Reply #25055 on: June 09, 2020, 01:00:35 AM »
I’ve got a brand new SOG Switchplier 2.0 coming. I snagged the last one on Amazon priced at $40. I think that’s an absolute steal!

I’ve snagged some tools off of SOG’s site to modify it with too. Wire stripper instead of file!

Charles.
« Reply #25056 on: June 09, 2020, 01:58:35 PM »
Nice one CC :like: :tu:

« Reply #25057 on: June 09, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »
Well, the Switchplier 2.0 got here today. And I broke it less than 20 minutes later. Cutting romex of all things. Sigh.

Charles.
« Reply #25058 on: June 09, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
 :oops: :facepalm:

« Reply #25059 on: June 09, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
The question is do I fix it properly, or just return it and get my 40 bucks back. Even with a proper length pin, the pliers are so light-duty and the force required to do normal tasks so great, I don't think the tool will ever see real pocket time. I'm a pliers-first kind of guy, which is why I love all OHO plier models... except, as it is turning out, this one. :/

Charles.
« Reply #25060 on: June 10, 2020, 12:09:39 AM »
I would get my money back CC :tu:

No Life Club Posts: 4,502 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #25061 on: June 10, 2020, 02:56:07 AM »
The question is do I fix it properly, or just return it and get my 40 bucks back. Even with a proper length pin, the pliers are so light-duty and the force required to do normal tasks so great, I don't think the tool will ever see real pocket time. I'm a pliers-first kind of guy, which is why I love all OHO plier models... except, as it is turning out, this one. :/

Return it.  Given the plier design they are never going to be robust.

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
« Reply #25062 on: June 10, 2020, 06:09:12 AM »
That’s what I’m thinking.

That said, I took the pliers apart and took a look. That pin is indeed too short... but this design flaw could be EASILY rectified. Instead of a pin, the plier handle needs to be squeezed together 2mm. There is room. The pin needs to instead have a flange on one side and a screw on the other. Capture the handle between two flanges and the pliers will never fail in this way again. It could be done within constraints of the current design.

I could even do that modification. I have a lathe. But is it worth several hours of my time to design a better pin for a tool that  doesn’t meet my needs in so many other ways? I’m thinking not.

I’ll try returning it to amazon tomorrow.

Charles.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,337 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #25063 on: June 10, 2020, 08:02:17 AM »
Good to see SOG is continuing the quality tradition of the Powerduo

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #25064 on: June 10, 2020, 05:02:42 PM »
Well ,we've got an electrical problem in the wiring that leads up to the oven; and the electrician isn't coming unitl Saturday. Thus, my folks ordered a pizza. Given we're out of the delivery range for every pizza place in town; we've got to go to Domino's to pick it up. Heading out now.
Hero Member Posts: 629
« Reply #25065 on: June 10, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
Well ,we've got an electrical problem in the wiring that leads up to the oven; and the electrician isn't coming unitl Saturday. Thus, my folks ordered a pizza. Given we're out of the delivery range for every pizza place in town; we've got to go to Domino's to pick it up. Heading out now.
I share your delivery pain, although mine is location, not distance.

I'm within 1/4 a mile of eveything in a town centre  :bnghd:

But, can they bl##dy find me  :think: :rant: 

They don't like it up 'em!
« Reply #25066 on: June 10, 2020, 08:37:18 PM »
Folks needed some stuff for the house, and since while we've started shopping in smaller stores once again, we haven't warmed up to Lowe's or Walmart quite yet.  To get over free shipping thresholds (except in the case of Menard's), I picked up a few cheap knives. These are brands I typically avoid, but I just decided to see how they'd stand up.

From Home Depot, the Milwaukee Tradesman. At $14, my opinion towards folks that can't tell a Sheffield England knife from a cheap Sheffield/Great Neck knife is go with a Mora; but I liked the full tang and exposed lanyard hole that should also work as a striking pommel. Steel is not mentioned but probably cheap; and I am not expecting much. We've got some work to do, and I figure if I hammer on this knife or hack/chop, it's not that bad (While occasionally, I am a little rough on them when I have to, but I treat my Moras like regular knives, not cheap beaters).

We don't have Menard's here (nearest location is in Ohio), but I'm familiar with them due to their O-scale train stuff; so I found the Flex Seal from them--neither Home Depot or Lowe's had it for regular delivery.

While there, I found a cheapo lockback with an 8Cr13MOV blade with a rubberized handle and one-hand opening on sale for $9 Bought it for a work folder. Cheap to the point that if something happens, I won't want to chew someone out over breaking it (which is why I don't loan my knives or tools out anymore), but decent enough to where I won't mind using it. My work knives have to be locking, and I like one-hand opening. A good one to fish, camp, and hunt with if it works out for me.  It is 4 3/4" closed with a 3 5/8" blade.

Guidesman (I think it's a Menard's store brand) Panther.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:46:49 PM by cody6268 »
« Reply #25067 on: June 11, 2020, 03:36:14 AM »
I share your delivery pain, although mine is location, not distance.

I'm within 1/4 a mile of eveything in a town centre  :bnghd:

But, can they bl##dy find me  :think: :rant: 

Same issue here when new appliances or building materials are delivered; and even in one case, a 911 call.  And kinda ironic. Pretty much the only people I know in the emergency services that know where my street is are 1: a firefighter who is a friend of mine and B: a paramedic who lives down the road.  It is ironic. The reason our road name has the name it does is because of the (now former; guy got transferred to Montana to make a mess out of their system) 911 director who put in the 911 address system in my county grew up in a house about a half-mile from my place, and the majority of the people who lived here until the 1980s or so shared his last name (and were related to him).
No Life Club Posts: 2,992 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #25068 on: June 11, 2020, 05:29:28 AM »
A couple of plierenches and an unbranded Japanese fishing multi tool.

"Drink your big black cow
And get out of here." -  Steely Dan
« Reply #25069 on: June 11, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »
Here's a video of the brokeass Switchplier

https://youtu.be/74opjx_K3M4

Charles.
« Reply #25070 on: June 11, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »
Nasty  :facepalm:

Full Member Posts: 164
« Reply #25071 on: June 11, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
Spartan on the way for father's day and a mini champ on the way for me (heavily discounted thanks to some Amazon being a bit late shipping a water bottle and it arriving in less than stellar condition, gotta love their store credit policies  :cheers:)
« Reply #25072 on: June 11, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
Nice ones GF :like: :tu:

« Reply #25073 on: June 12, 2020, 05:27:09 AM »
Two larger Case knives from Shepherd Hills Cutlery.  These were pretty deeply discounted, and I'd wanted one of them for 2-3 years now. I think the reason these knives didn't sell well when new was that most hardcore traditional knife collectors want PE, carbon steel, and stag or bone handles. I already own a Carhartt Edition Mini Trapper, and find these are by far, the best scales you can get in a traditional knife if you want to use it hard, and in wet, oily, or greasy applications. It grips hard, and doesn't slip. I'm not Tru-Sharp's biggest fan (I find it inferior to Schrade USA 440A and Buck 420HC), but it's OK. I've never tried this type of serration before. Looks odd. But, I have less than $80 in both knives, and MSRP on each was that.

This is gonna be Granddad's Father's Day present. He doesn't own any kind of Trapper in his collection; and it is Earth Brown/Rugged Duck G-10 and serrated--two things you don't see Case doing all too often.

Case 54 Pattern Trapper in Earth Brown G-10 with serrated main blade.

Back when I first took interest in the Jumbo Stockman pattern (75), I chose this version, as I knew being on the bigger side, it was better suited to work use and G-10 and serrations also make it even better suited to that.  It was on sale for $40, much less than it was before.

« Reply #25074 on: June 12, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
Nice  :like: :tu:

No Life Club Posts: 4,096
« Reply #25075 on: June 13, 2020, 01:17:45 AM »
The new Jetbeam RRT01 Raptor flashlight.

Hero Member Posts: 833
« Reply #25076 on: June 13, 2020, 03:21:22 AM »
ANOTHER removable bit driver kit!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
(This one's for the Coyote Rebar)🤫
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 26,955 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #25077 on: June 13, 2020, 03:28:43 AM »
Well, maybe a new shaver?
I got a gift card and the Mrs placed the order but it didn’t go through, but she checked the amount on the card and it was the amount as if we bought the shaver, and of course the company was closed and will be till Monday.. so idk what’s happening, anyway here’s what I was trying to get, a new shaver for the head, suppose to be one of the best, even comes with an attachment for the face,, I’m just getting tired of using a razor up top,,
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 26,955 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #25078 on: June 13, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
Well, the Mrs checked the card and everything went back to normal so all the kinks were worked out and we reordered it and it went through, so, that’s what I have on the way, a new head razor withe bonus facial and wall usb wall adapter.. :woohoo:
Just hope it’s as good as everyone says it is, unlike the few that say it doesn’t work!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
« Reply #25079 on: June 21, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
I got an older G-2 steel Spyderco Harpy off another forum coming for $55 shipped. I recently misplaced my Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, and it's also missing a pivot screw (shoulda used Loctite!). At 3.875" closed (or 3 7/8), it's more in my wheelhouse for size as a primary EDC folder. My complaint--the stainless handle. Both heavier and slicker than FRN. But, a bit tougher; and absolutely necessary with the shackle key. This is also to help bump up my "decent enough size for general EDC" Spyderco category for the upcoming challenge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $23.00
PayPal Fees: $1.77
Net Balance: $21.23
Below Goal: $278.77
Site Currency: USD
 7%