Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Rebar Pictures

pl Offline ClassicGOD

Re: Leatherman Rebar Pictures
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 09:35:03 AM
I don't thing it's a spring, it looks exactly like part of the retention mechanism that you can find on Wave, Charge etc that also locks external blades on those tools (of course it doesn't lock anything on Rebar, only provides retention for the plier head). IMHO it shows that the head is designed to be fitted into (maybe slightly modified) Charge/Wave like tools and I'm dying to find out if it can be transplanted.

I would like to see shots of open and closed pliers of Charge and Rebar next to each other from top, side and front  :pok:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:06:54 PM by ClassicGOD »
"We notice things that don't work. We don't notice things that do."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 12:35:29 PM
Any comparison pictures with the ST300?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline maximus0723

Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 04:29:04 PM
I second classicGod and dks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 03:03:12 AM
Here are some more pictures we managed to get today- I hope they are good enough, because this is probably the last pictures we'll have until the Rebar starts shipping!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 03:08:37 AM
It does indeed look thinner than a Blast, excellent. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 04:03:17 AM
I just got a Blast tonight, and I will admit I am even more excited for this tool because of how nice the Blast is. Looking forward to it!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 04:17:44 AM
I think the Rebar might be my favorite new tool from Leatherman this year.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:36 AM
I think the Rebar might be my favorite new tool from Leatherman this year.  :tu:

:tu:

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:29 AM
I can see myself with a rebar on my belt.  Maybe a second for my truck, one for the kitchen drawer.  Needless to say I will probably be getting one :tu:

Offline maximus0723

Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 05:26:49 AM
Now I am excited.
This tool is exactly what lot MTers wanted.

Now, LM, come up with a rebard model that has scissors.

And may be, just may be, a charge model with Rebar pliers.

:multi:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 06:12:37 AM
Now I am excited.
This tool is exactly what lot MTers wanted.

Now, LM, come up with a rebard model that has scissors.

And may be, just may be, a charge model with Rebar pliers.

:multi:

Yea, that would be cool. 

It's nice to see such a turnout for a tool like this.  With a lot of the vocal crowd talking about the wave, I was afraid Leatherman would soon abandon the traditional style tools, which would suck because that's what I like.

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:32 AM
How long is the handels ??

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 08:05:24 AM
 :tu: good comparison pictures!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 10:07:35 PM

:tu:
+2 :tu:

Thanks for the pics Grant..  8)
 Ooh and Bob of course, unless Def is using his "Secret-Spy-mouth-camera" to take the first pics..  :think: :D

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
How long is the handels ??

It's a 4 inch tool.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:46 PM

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:41 PM
I just got a Blast tonight, and I will admit I am even more excited for this tool because of how nice the Blast is. Looking forward to it!

Me too!  I have always gravitated towards Vic over any other maker (2 x Spirit +'s, many SAKs, etc), and have sold/traded away any Leathermans or Gerbers that I had; but I really like the idea of the Rebar.  Then I found a Blast on clearance at Target and at least wanted to try it out.

I think I may actually prefer the Blast tool load out, with the smaller eyeglass screwdriver and scissors, even though the design sucks.

I have no use for the Rebar's serrated blade, although the awl and replaceable cutters would be nice...

I was originally going to throw caution to the wind and make the Rebar my first "keeper" leatherman, but with the Blast's cheap price and different tool load out, I may just stick with that...  :think:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Leatherman Rebar Pictures
Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 01:51:20 AM
Looking fwd to this one, especially now! :)

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 07:03:55 AM
Why does leatherman does not want my bank account to have some money on it? :cry:
A

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 06:13:15 PM
They think it looks better in their account!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 09:30:36 PM
I keep bouncing back and forth on this one big time.

On the one hand I don't like inboard tools, and have much preferred outboard for a long time. On the other I've just got back into carrying my modified PT-510 and my modified Kick, and I've got a Core and modified MP600 DET stationed at the boat. I keep thinking "it doesn't have a clip", then thinking I've been pocket carrying MP700's, SOG's, Spirits etc at the bottom of my pocket anyway. It doesn't have scissors ... but then neither do my non-locking Bears which also find pocket time (supplemented with SAK's) ... and let's face it, it's not a huge job to drop scissors in there if they're the same tang etc as the Wave/Blast lines. Maybe if it wasn't LM I'd be more forgiving, but then again I don't think I've actually BOUGHT an inboard tool since the PT-510 and Kick - and they didn't have scissors either BUT they were both bought for modding anyway  :think: Only exception I think was the Bucktool wich was bought purely out of curiosity ... and doesn't get carried or used  :-\

Gut feeling says this isn't for me and I should leave it to the belt carry brigade who'll use drivers frequently. I'd never use the can opener or saw either. However something tells me I'll end up getting one, moaning about it and passing it on (again), just so that one side of my brain can tell the other "I told you so"  :pok:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 10:23:30 PM
I keep bouncing back and forth on this one big time.

On the one hand I don't like inboard tools, and have much preferred outboard for a long time. On the other I've just got back into carrying my modified PT-510 and my modified Kick, and I've got a Core and modified MP600 DET stationed at the boat. I keep thinking "it doesn't have a clip", then thinking I've been pocket carrying MP700's, SOG's, Spirits etc at the bottom of my pocket anyway. It doesn't have scissors ... but then neither do my non-locking Bears which also find pocket time (supplemented with SAK's) ... and let's face it, it's not a huge job to drop scissors in there if they're the same tang etc as the Wave/Blast lines. Maybe if it wasn't LM I'd be more forgiving, but then again I don't think I've actually BOUGHT an inboard tool since the PT-510 and Kick - and they didn't have scissors either BUT they were both bought for modding anyway  :think: Only exception I think was the Bucktool wich was bought purely out of curiosity ... and doesn't get carried or used  :-\

Gut feeling says this isn't for me and I should leave it to the belt carry brigade who'll use drivers frequently. I'd never use the can opener or saw either. However something tells me I'll end up getting one, moaning about it and passing it on (again), just so that one side of my brain can tell the other "I told you so"  :pok:

I know what you are saying, I could do without a saw and can opener as well. Outboard tools are a little more convenient but inboard tools and no scissors are not deal breakers for me either. Since I generally carry a SAK of some kind that have scissors and a can opener, I'm not missing them on a multitool. What I do miss are full size phillips and flat drivers, that's why I never got along with a Wave.

So, if they came out with a Rebar and replaced the saw and can opener with a standard hex bit adapter it would just about be my perfect multitool.

Now, that's just my personal preference and I know it wouldn't be for everyone.
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

ca Offline misscase530

• There, it's fixed!
Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 03:16:20 AM
With the new Wingman and Sidekick designs, I was hoping Leatherman would keep carrying through with a 'new' and interesting tool.  Shrinking the ST300 to the size of the charge doesn't do a lot for me.  Many times I break out my ST300 when I am working on a bigger job where I need a stronger tool than the charge.  The big powerful jaws on the ST300 take care of most jobs I need muscle for.  I'm not sure where the Rebar will fit in.  I don't like the drivers on the ST300.  In 2012 they need to put the flat bit drivers on the ST300 and get rid of all of the fixed drivers except for the big flathead, which is used as a prybar.  Then there would be space for a pair of scissors, which is badly needed.  The Rebar design is regressive and old school compared to the Wingman which is half price.  I will definitely buy this tool regardless, because it is still a Leatherman tool and I want em all.  I was just hoping for a bit more.
Duct Tape, For Your Soul

spam Offline Doraemon

• A man can never have enough watches... and tools!
Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 11:00:51 AM
This is fantastic. Thanks J-Sews and Def. Looks like they no longer have the printed ruler as the early pictures suggested. This is important because I would hate to have them scratched off with use.

Good eyes on the plier teeth, Mercury. I very much prefer finer teeth like the Blast, rather than those on the Sidekick/Wingman.

Maybe the lack of diamond file is to make the tool seem more durable and aimed towards hard use. I have seen many more worn out diamond files compared to the standard cross/single cut files. Can't deny the diamond file is good, but also can't deny it is more easily damaged if used inappropriately.

Traditional style is great. Cheers for no scissors, no interchangeable bits, no outside accessible tools, no one-hand opening, no pocket clip, no diamond file, no spring-assisted pliers (?). No nonsense. This will be my favourite leatherman for a long time to come.

I think it can be more refined by using the Crunch's lock spring rather than the Core's. Cleaner looking and less chance of the spring breaking.

And then, a Rebar II for those who prefer scissors, diamond file, etc. (think PST II)
You have the right tool... but do you know how to use it the right way?

Offline chris777

Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 11:47:35 AM

Yea, that would be cool. 

It's nice to see such a turnout for a tool like this.  With a lot of the vocal crowd talking about the wave, I was afraid Leatherman would soon abandon the traditional style tools, which would suck because that's what I like.

Some of us finally scored a Pst, 2, and Pulse, and have seen the benefits of a small form factor. 
I have also recently become a convert to locking tools, after having my kick "bite" me.

Near as I can see this thing only has 2 minor "gripes" no clip, and no scissors.

other than that, for a revision of the PST, this thing is awesome.

Dont get me wrong one hand openign blades, and external openign tools are desired, but if this tool is not around for a LONG long time, ill be shocked.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:24 PM
My Gut instinct , is that the Rebar will pe an iconic Leatherman . Super good tuffnessand features to weight ratio .

Chris

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 06:23:43 PM

Yea, that would be cool. 

Some of us finally scored a Pst, 2, and Pulse, and have seen the benefits of a small form factor. 
I have also recently become a convert to locking tools, after having my kick "bite" me.

Near as I can see this thing only has 2 minor "gripes" no clip, and no scissors.

other than that, for a revision of the PST, this thing is awesome.

Dont get me wrong one hand openign blades, and external openign tools are desired, but if this tool is not around for a LONG long time, ill be shocked.

I totally agree.  This is a staple tool that some people will fall in love with(I am hoping I will, I think it's fairly well known here that I LOVE the blast).  I don't like pocket clips to much either, and scissors are cool but I have SAK's for that.  As far as the bits go, they are an awesome addition to any EDC kit, but as I stated in another thread I have plenty of tools in my bag, truck. and house that have every bit known to man in them so I would rather have a strong, long, dedicated driver in my MT.  A driver is useless to me if it can't reach anywhere. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 06:29:44 PM
This is fantastic. Thanks J-Sews and Def. Looks like they no longer have the printed ruler as the early pictures suggested. This is important because I would hate to have them scratched off with use.

Good eyes on the plier teeth, Mercury. I very much prefer finer teeth like the Blast, rather than those on the Sidekick/Wingman.

Maybe the lack of diamond file is to make the tool seem more durable and aimed towards hard use. I have seen many more worn out diamond files compared to the standard cross/single cut files. Can't deny the diamond file is good, but also can't deny it is more easily damaged if used inappropriately.

Traditional style is great. Cheers for no scissors, no interchangeable bits, no outside accessible tools, no one-hand opening, no pocket clip, no diamond file, no spring-assisted pliers (?). No nonsense. This will be my favourite leatherman for a long time to come.

I think it can be more refined by using the Crunch's lock spring rather than the Core's. Cleaner looking and less chance of the spring breaking.

And then, a Rebar II for those who prefer scissors, diamond file, etc. (think PST II)

I think that sums it up perfectly. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:30 AM
In general I like pocket clips too, but this one might be quite a challenge to clip properly due to the handle shape. :think:

Here are some more pictures we managed to get today- I hope they are good enough, because this is probably the last pictures we'll have until the Rebar starts shipping!

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline maximus0723

Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:00 AM
Did you guys (Bob and Grand) try comparing the angle of the open plier heads of Rebar, Charge and/or ST300? Were they around the same angle? whose was wider?

Thanks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD