Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any interest in a minimalist SAK challenge?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any interest in a minimalist SAK challenge?
Reply #90 on: September 27, 2014, 03:36:52 AM
I already carry an E01 and a Tomo, Rally, or Classic. Other than an EAB that I carry for work, which I use to keep from ruining a good blade, if I'm allowed to keep it during the challenge, I'm game. I just keep a Micra or small 2-layer SAK on me. I'm sure I can downsize to a Bantam or Waiter, or just go without it and just have my keyring SAK and the Gerber.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: September 27, 2014, 04:37:55 AM
 :oops:

DSCN1487-1.jpg
* DSCN1487-1.jpg (Filesize: 315.14 KB)
DSCN1490-1.jpg
* DSCN1490-1.jpg (Filesize: 347.34 KB)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:31:39 AM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: September 27, 2014, 09:42:23 AM
Actually, the Wenger can-opener is a real handicap, as it results in no small screw-driver.

Sand down the tip of the Wenger nail file just a tad and it works fine as both a Phillips and a small flat-head screwdriver. I've done this on all my Wenger EDC SACs and it's just as effective as the screwdriver on the end of the Victorinox can opener.
That might be a good idea, it would also have quite good reach, you have a picture of that?

Actually, best 2-layer Wenger for me would be the Ranger 38-36 with two locking drivers, unfortunately I don't have one :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: September 27, 2014, 01:23:30 PM
I just tried the Crack Carry method for 24 hours with my Classic SD, and now I can't find it.  Should I see a doctor?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: September 27, 2014, 01:27:12 PM
 :to:   :to:   :to:   :to:   :to:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #95 on: September 27, 2014, 01:31:37 PM
I just tried the Crack Carry method for 24 hours with my Classic SD, and now I can't find it.  Should I see a doctor?

You need a dose of Milk of SAKnesia....  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #96 on: September 27, 2014, 01:38:24 PM

You need a dose of Milk of SAKnesia....  :D

Or maybe one of these...          :sak:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: September 27, 2014, 04:37:36 PM
 :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: September 27, 2014, 08:12:49 PM
I rest my case, here.
I want to be without my trusty Swisschamp ..... it has a 'HOOK'  >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #99 on: September 28, 2014, 03:46:18 AM
Ok, I'm going to be brave and accept this challenge :viking:  I just ordered a black Vic Compact, which will be minimalist compared to my Rogueneer for sure.  I think for the most part I'll get by fine with it, but I'm rather attached to my Rogueneer, and will surely miss carrying it.  As I said earlier, I'll still carry a multi for the pliers more than anything, but will only use it if absolutely necessary, and will honestly report if I do so.  I should have it between Friday and early next week, so I'll be a few days late to start the challenge, but will update when I have it. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: September 28, 2014, 04:13:02 AM
I'm going to try to make it with just the Esquire that Aloha so kindly gifted me, however I will need to keep pliers on stand-by for the jobs where that is simply a requirement.  :SAKnight:

What's the idea? Do we report back here with daily updates? On the first everyone should post in a row which SAK they'll be using so there's an uninterrupted list.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #101 on: September 28, 2014, 04:39:43 AM
Hardly a challenge if people are going to carry backup stuff.  :pok:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #102 on: September 28, 2014, 04:49:09 AM
Hardly a challenge if people are going to carry backup stuff:pok:

Do these count?    >:D
Bags o SAKs.JPG
* Bags o SAKs.JPG (Filesize: 131.41 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: September 28, 2014, 05:03:10 AM
Hardly a challenge if people are going to carry backup stuff:pok:

Do these count?    >:D

:facepalm:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #104 on: September 28, 2014, 06:11:17 AM

:P ;)
Honestly, it will be a challenge for me regardless of the MT factor.  I wouldn't be using any SAK for pliers, so it won't factor in much at all.  I rely on my Rogueneer for pretty much anything I encounter with the exception of the pliers obviously.  I will be attempting to rely on the Compact for all other tasks, and it's the only minimalist SAK with scissors, which is something I've gotta have, especially since my wife asks to use scissors rather regularly...
K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #105 on: September 28, 2014, 06:21:03 AM

Honestly, it will be a challenge for me regardless of the MT factor.  I wouldn't be using any SAK for pliers, so it won't factor in much at all.  I rely on my Rogueneer for pretty much anything I encounter with the exception of the pliers obviously.  I will be attempting to rely on the Compact for all other tasks, and it's the only minimalist SAK with scissors, which is something I've gotta have, especially since my wife asks to use scissors rather regularly...

Excuse alert.  :ahhh   I'm sure she can look after herself. But you, not so much.  :rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #106 on: September 28, 2014, 06:35:29 AM

Excuse alert.  :ahhh   I'm sure she can look after herself. But you, not so much.  :rofl:

You may be right there :rofl:  She probably could handle it herself, but she's come to expect and rely on the fact that I always have a knife and scissors on me. 
K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: September 28, 2014, 06:48:48 AM

You may be right there :rofl:  She probably could handle it herself, but she's come to expect and rely on the fact that I always have a knife and scissors on me.

Time to hand over the Rogueneer then.  :tu: 

Edit: And the OHT.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:50:56 AM by zoidberg »

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #108 on: September 28, 2014, 12:01:14 PM
I'm definitely in - I'm going from a 5 layer Explorer with wood saw to a
Wenger SI.

I guess I'll have to ditch my P4 for the duration as well?

I'm also tying this in with a 30 days without sweets - I've started a new job and people keep buying me chocolates and it's starting to show! :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: September 28, 2014, 12:10:06 PM
I'm definitely in - I'm going from a 5 layer Explorer with wood saw to a
Wenger SI.

I guess I'll have to ditch my P4 for the duration as well?

I'm also tying this in with a 30 days without sweets - I've started a new job and people keep buying me chocolates and it's starting to show! :facepalm:
sounds like my dream job  :dd:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #110 on: September 28, 2014, 12:16:54 PM
You'd think so wouldn't you? I've put on so much weight though.......
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #111 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:16 PM
I'm going to try to make it with just the Esquire that Aloha so kindly gifted me, however I will need to keep pliers on stand-by for the jobs where that is simply a requirement.  :SAKnight:

What's the idea? Do we report back here with daily updates? On the first everyone should post in a row which SAK they'll be using so there's an uninterrupted list.

I was thinking I would start a new thread on the 1st where everyone could report on what they are using, and give updates.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: September 28, 2014, 05:30:15 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm applying for membership of the OCD Squad,but,what are our choices for the challenge?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #113 on: September 28, 2014, 06:53:37 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm applying for membership of the OCD Squad,but,what are our choices for the challenge?

Do you mean choices as far as SAKs? 

I originally was thinking we would pick one type and everyone use that, but it would necessarily limit the # of participants, since not everyone would have that particular knife or be able/willing to buy one.

So I think it is better to leave it to the individual to decide what would be a challenge.  My opinion is that anything over 2 layers is probably not very challenging, but that may just be me.

For me even 2 layers isn't a challenge, since its what I EDC, so I'm trying to procure a Bantam.

Hope that helps.

If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: September 28, 2014, 08:14:18 PM

I originally was thinking we would pick one type and everyone use that, but it would necessarily limit the # of participants, since not everyone would have that particular knife or be able/willing to buy one.

So I think it is better to leave it to the individual to decide what would be a challenge.  My opinion is that anything over 2 layers is probably not very challenging, but that may just be me.

For me even 2 layers isn't a challenge, since its what I EDC, so I'm trying to procure a Bantam.

Hope that helps.

Kind of,but not really....

I know I can breeze through a month with a DofE, but Cadet would be a monumental challenge :ahhh

Any chance of a short list of options?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: September 28, 2014, 08:26:01 PM
all this talk of 'minimalist' SAK's and there's me hunting for something BIGGER than a Swisschamp  :whistle:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #116 on: September 28, 2014, 08:30:10 PM

Hope that helps.

I know I can breeze through a month with a DofE, but Cadet would be a monumental challenge :ahhh

Ok, this is just off the top of my head;

1) Classic
2) Rambler
3) Executive
4) Bantam
5) Recruit
6) Pocket Pal
7) Cadet
8) Lumberjack
9) Tinker
10) Spartan
11) Waiter
12) Compact
13) Scientist
14) Pioneer/Alox Soldier
15) Electrician

I'm sure there are lots others.

The hard part is I would consider the DofE acceptable, so it really comes down to what is challenging for you.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: September 28, 2014, 09:06:43 PM

Hope that helps.

Ok, this is just off the top of my head;

1) Classic
2) Rambler
3) Executive
4) Bantam
5) Recruit
6) Pocket Pal
7) Cadet
8) Lumberjack
9) Tinker
10) Spartan
11) Waiter
12) Compact
13) Scientist
14) Pioneer/Alox Soldier
15) Electrician

I'm sure there are lots others.

The hard part is I would consider the DofE acceptable, so it really comes down to what is challenging for you.

Cheers! :salute:

I'll need to think about this :think:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

I'll have a similar with my wife always asking for a file, scissors excetera. I relay wish she would carry her own SAK.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Sorel

Reply #119 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:13 PM
You know what'd be a real minimalist challenge? 58's only. >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00