Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Preppers, what do you prep for?

Kampfer · 164 · 7755

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Preppers, what do you prep for?
on: June 24, 2016, 09:22:23 PM
What is your doomsday Scenario?
Walking dead, Natural disaster, economic collapse, nuclear war, alien invasion?

For me it is the kind of global epidemic shown in this History Channel docudrama

EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Re: Preppers, what do you prep for?
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:27:19 AM
I'm not expecting anything specific.  I just want to be ready if things go bad.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 01:54:07 AM
Mostly natural disasters resulting in either shelter in place or evacuating.  I also like to have "things on hand" in case I should become unemployed or under employed.  Picking up some extras when I have to income and availabiity of items.     
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 04:49:27 AM
I am prepping for the unlikely situation in which I live past 45.

#Superannuation
#CashInAMattress
#RetiringInStyle

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 05:11:20 AM

Interesting topic  :tu:

1. Tornadoes - A few hours the most. Tools to get out or wait till help arrives.
2. Extended power outage. Usually after an ice storm when it's dangerous to drive. Supplies and means of heating for a few days to a week.
3. Virus/Desease epidemic. Leave civilization and live in the woods until a cure is found. Maybe months or years. I am still working on this one, haha.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:17:45 AM
1. No running water. My apartment complex has issues keeping its water lines running, and hs a tendency to shut them off with no warning to fix stuff. So I keep a few gallons of fresh water under the bed, for cooking and drinking. Planning on getting a decent filter and some chlorine tabs soon.

2. Power outages. Happens a few times a year, usually during bad storms, or when some bonehead slams their car into a transformer or power line. Always keep extra propane for the lantern and camp stove, charcoal for the grill, and firewood, in case we have to go a day or two without power.

3. Car accidents. My car (well really an SUV) has a decent first aide kit, a knife in easy reach of the drivers and passenger seat, spare tools, spare tire, jumper cables, water, tow ropes... you get the idea. You never know when someone will need a jump, or need to be cut out of their seatbelt.

I feel pretty lucky to live somewhere that natural disasters just really arent an issue.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:20:40 AM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 06:42:17 AM
Worms, giant underground worms with snakelike tongues.….....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:39:39 AM
Worms, giant underground worms with snakelike tongues.….....
I know that one! Get some RC cars and firework.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:18:12 AM
I prep for the horrible event that I lose my multi-tool. Just saying.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:23 PM
I prep for the horrible event that I lose my multi-tool. Just saying.

You are a lot better prepared for that than me :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 12:24:50 PM
The American way regarding survival, guns etc looks weird to me, but I know why. Europe is on the longest peaceful interval of its history. We have no tsunamis, tornados and such here, just earthquakes (mainly in Greece) and a few volcanos (in Greece and Italy). The Greek seas are filled whith islands. Unless there is very bad weather one can swim from island to island or be saved by one of the thousands of ships that pass through. In the wildness you are always a couple of hours walking distance from civilisation. Cell phones work everywhere, GPS also.
So big natural or other disasters seem unlikely.
In the event that things turn around (a war or something) the only thing you have to do is spot a preppernut and sneek in his shelter in order to steal his equipment and supplies. Everything is permited in war and love.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 10:17:10 PM
I live in earthquake zone, a "Big One" is going to hit us in matter of time, but that is not what I concern the most.
Our three stories residence is only five years old, well built, should be able to withstand earthquake much better than other buildings in the area. And as long as we survived the hit, help would be on its way, worst case we just have to hold out for a few days.

Global epidemic is mainly what I prep for, because that is something not in human's control, and modern transportation helps the virus spread quickly. As soon as I see some funny sickness reported on news, we will bolt the doors and stay in. There are enough power, food and water to hold out for three months in our home, sit tight and wait for the epidemic passes. Meanwhile anyone try to loot us will be meet with deadly force of course.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:18:27 PM by Kampfer »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 11:18:26 PM
I got some gear to live trough a few hours of no electricity. Am I a prepper now?
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:22 AM
The American way regarding survival, guns etc looks weird to me,
It's okay friend, it looks weird to me too.
I don't have enough time to worry about riots and economic breakdown when I live in a bloody desert and FLIES ARE TRYING TO EAT MY EYES WHILE I SLEEP.

Do you know how hard it is to shoot a fly? Mr Miyagi couldn't do it.

Global epidemic is mainly what I prep for, because that is something not in human's control, and modern transportation helps the virus spread quickly.

We dug a moat around our country. It was hard work, but worth it.

(still working on the SAMs to keep the planes out)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:04:14 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 05:18:49 AM
As someone who's been a "prepper" long enough to have been called a "survivalist", most of the really neat scenarios have the same solution: turn off the television. Instead, I like to focus on the mundane. Storm, earthquake and/or forest fire if you live someplace where it likely, disruption of power (which leads to water being cut off), and the boring stuff- being robbed or having your place burning, your vehicle being out of service. And finding out that you are surrounded by idiots with tools, when they shouldn't be entrusted with kleenex.

I'm also going to point out that "prepper" is a term applied by the media to people who are realistic enough to understand that bad things happen and that Daddy in the form of the government won't save you when its bad enough to be a disaster simply because government is slow, stupid and more interested in looking good in the media than actually solving a problem. "Prepper" is a pejorative term, and a sign that the self reliant man is now seen as "abnormal" by the self declared deciders of society. I honestly consider it to be much more insulting than "sheeple". It is the sheep spitting at one who is not part of their witless herd.

In the event that things turn around (a war or something) the only thing you have to do is spot a preppernut and sneek in his shelter in order to steal his equipment and supplies.

I'm going to not take offense at "preppernut", just at the proposal that it's ok to steal someone's property with the implication that it may also OK to kill or maim them he process. Or is this another case of euro-humor not translating well?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:21:21 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 06:11:52 AM
Quote from: Edgelord
"Prepper" is a pejorative term, and a sign that the self reliant man is now seen as "abnormal" by the self declared deciders of society. I honestly consider it to be much more insulting than "sheeple". It is the sheep spitting at one who is not part of their witless herd.

I'm going to not take offense at "preppernut", just at the proposal that it's ok to steal someone's property with the implication that it may also OK to kill or maim them he process. Or is this another case of euro-humor not translating well?

Or a reference to the concept that morals are inversely proportional to how hungry you are  :P

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 06:57:53 AM
In the event that things turn around (a war or something) the only thing you have to do is spot a preppernut and sneek in his shelter in order to steal his equipment and supplies. Everything is permited in war and love.
Meanwhile anyone try to loot us will be meet with deadly force of course.
You are a doctor correct? Come join us if you happen to be in our area, we could use your help.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 08:48:26 AM

Don't try it in a redneck neighborhood watch area.....    :rofl:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 09:29:05 AM
I used the term with a humorous manner, as we say SAKnut here. If I offended anyone I'm sorry.
In case of an Armageddon scenario where I live, I'll try to survive in situ. So, don't worry, I wont come to America, I wouldn't have the means to do it even if I meant to. I would try my luck and skills in my enviroment, whith which I'm familiar.
Now that you reminded me that I'm a doctor, the only thing I would have to do (and I would be morally obliged to do so) would be to join some initiative of a state organisation or NGO like Medicins du Monde or Medicines sans Frontieres, or Samaritans and help the population with disaster trauma. What you don't know is that I teach in a postgraduate diploma in the University of Athens about Disaster Medicine. My discipline is drug abuse. So I would be with the good guys. But the survivalist manner of quite a few here made me deviate and feel nostalgia about my days in the Special Forces, two decades ago.
So, yes, I could try to help. Wouln't I earn some bread for that?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:31:27 AM by kkokkolis »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 09:56:26 AM
Be honest, when someone is hungry, he would do anything to get food.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 10:13:21 AM
if you are chubby you may survive longer on your fat reserves, or, you may be the 1st to be eaten....  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
if you are chubby you may survive longer on your fat reserves, or, you may be the 1st to be eaten....  :D
I think that is a myth.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 10:16:35 AM
which one of the two?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 10:35:17 AM
Both

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 11:02:12 AM
I'm with Famous K here. Not really anything to prep for here. Last time we gad a power outage it was announced weeks ahead. Lots of independent water sources. Well organized food supply chain (competing supermarkets have a plan on how to work together to maintain supply with reduced work force).

That said I like kits and making kits. So I have a get home kit, survival kit and FAK.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 11:18:04 AM

That said I like kits and making kits. So I have a get home kit, survival kit and FAK.
Change K to T, then we are on the same page.  :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 11:21:50 AM
The fat reserves thing is a reality, not a myth. During the Nazi occupation here the thin (and thin kids in particular) were the first to die, by the thousands. Ask survival speSmurfpillsts, grizzly and polar bears.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:00 AM
I am glad that you cleared that up.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 12:17:44 PM

Don't try it in a redneck neighborhood watch area.....    :rofl:
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I bet no one looted their area either. Who would of tough?    :think:
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 12:39:09 PM
A weapon isn't a substitute for brains though. And in our area there are as much shotguns as AK47s, full auto. Thousands of them, from former Communist countries, mainly Albania, are in the hands of outlaws, terrorists, but also local survivalists, mainly people in Crete, where they have that love for guns to challenge a redneck. And Mani also. Did you know that towerhouses in Mani had their personal artillery? Mainly old bronze guns from the Napoleonic era, but they really had.
Magnums are rare here on the other hand. Nice gun.
Guns are nice, but peace amd logic is better.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%